Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Can confirm they're still interviewing. Doesn't seem as set in stone as it appears. 
    Huh?
    Mentioned Garner to sandgaard just now and be responded saying btw we're still interviewing...
    He's hardly likely to tell you "yep, we've nailed our man.......now you go & tell all those lovely people on CL before we send out a press release..."
    He was letting Buttle know how the take-over was going on a pretty regular basis.

Remember this is Sandgaard 
  • Options
    @ricky_otto and his red n white army.
  • Options
    It’s underwhelming but it’s not as bad as people are making out. Hearing talks of protests against the owner if it doesn’t work out. It may not work out but it’s a step in the right direction in my eyes 
  • Options
    So people moaning we did not have a manager now moaning we got one because they don’t know who he is ? Well the best manager we ever had was an unknown from Plymouth coaching team …….
    Welcome Ben … his cv is second to none the people he worked with including the special one himself , the style of play is attacking watched Swindon a few times scored goals .. on paper better option then say Beale … interesting he bringing his coaching team with him not sure where that leaves Euell now ….. but it’s time for every Charlton fan to get behind him and support him …… only problem I can see is he likes Josh Davison lol 
    A cv second to none......ffs
    In that field as a coach … when we were looking for a young up coming coach expect Johnny Williams sold him the club as well 
    To wum, you support any s*** that comes our way.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    So was he 8th, 9th or 10th choice..........

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Is this a question or a statement? Was he 8th choice or numbe 1 target?
    Question, he certainly wasn't number one choice as he wasn't the first manager to be spoken to. But whether TS spoke to 3/5/10 or 100 I don't know.

But the same mistakes are being made time and time again, players bought on stats, now managers.

But despite Swindon being number 1 in almost every stat last season, they weren't top in the one that matters - promotion.......So a manager fail to get one off the best squads in league two out of the division, so we'll give him a go at getting us out of league one with in a relative terms arguably a worse squad...... Swindon only just made the playoffs by a point.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like he was interviewed and would take it if offered:

‘I don’t really know what profile of manager they want to go down, but I know they have had a few managerial changes in recent seasons, so it’s a case of listening and waiting for anything to come through and if it does come through, then we will address it accordingly.’
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So people moaning we did not have a manager now moaning we got one because they don’t know who he is ? Well the best manager we ever had was an unknown from Plymouth coaching team …….
    Welcome Ben … his cv is second to none the people he worked with including the special one himself , the style of play is attacking watched Swindon a few times scored goals .. on paper better option then say Beale … interesting he bringing his coaching team with him not sure where that leaves Euell now ….. but it’s time for every Charlton fan to get behind him and support him …… only problem I can see is he likes Josh Davison lol 
    A cv second to none......ffs
    In that field as a coach … when we were looking for a young up coming coach expect Johnny Williams sold him the club as well 
    Has he told Sandgaard yet?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Question, he certainly wasn't number one choice as he wasn't the first manager to be spoken to. But whether TS spoke to 3/5/10 or 100 I don't know.

But the same mistakes are being made time and time again, players bought on stats, now managers.

But despite Swindon being number 1 in almost every stat last season, they weren't top in the one that matters - promotion.......So a manager fail to get one off the best squads in league two out of the division, so we'll give him a go at getting us out of league one with in a relative terms arguably a worse squad...... Swindon only just made the playoffs by a point.
    Why would the first manager TS interviewed be his first choice, and how do we know he even had a ‘first choice’? Sounds to me like they interviewed, and if the rumours are true, are still interviewing lots of candidates.

Maybe they went into it with a complete open mind and wanted to hear from as many managers as possible which is why the process is taking as long as it is.

Secondly, and this is complete ignorance on my part due to my lack of knowledge, but what do you know about the Swindon team and it’s players to say they had one of the best squads in the league? From what I read they had 7 players at the beginning of the season, and had been in somewhat of a downward spiral. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @oohaahmortimer it's not about being content with league one, it's about being realistic.

After 14 years at this level, surely you get our target is to get out of this league, but we aren't the big name club we were. In our season in the championship with Bowyer it was clear we were seen by most as minnows. 

Let's give Garner a chance if he is our man to achieve that promotion.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Or - Maybe they had the 15th best squad in the division and got to the playoffs because of his management skills? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Aren't most managers employed on stats?  Then you go on to say why he shouldn't get the job, based on stats!

If Swindon did have the best, or one of the best, squad in the divison the guy is a genius.  They have 7 players on the first day of preason and were on the verg of being wound up.

MK Dons had similar stats and didn't get promoted and there would have been a wankfest if we got their manager........... 
    Which one of historically our successful managers has been appointed on stats? Powell, Curbs, Lawrence, Seed?

Much like players stats are a small part, do they fit in, right temperament, are they 'Charlton' - all those questions a Cubs and a Powell would look at as well as stats.

Yer Swindon had such a poor squad by the end of August they were 4th.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Not really ruling himself out, at the end he say they’ll wait to see if anything comes through and then address it accordingly. 
  • Options
    I'd say he's ruling himself in ! 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If it was just about improving players JJ wouldn't have lost his Job:
    Dobson, CBT and Clare.

It's about improving the team.

It's a team sport and it's about relationships all over the park and being as strong as your weakest link.

If its Ben he will need to be sheltered from the noise from damaged fans garnered over the last decade.

Some great coaches in the lower divisions. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If true, pretty underwhelmed. However, have to get behind the fella and wish him good luck - he’s going to need it.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    “It’s more paper talk, bookies are putting two and two together in relation to what they see as a former player that’s had a bit of success..."

So he was never here for a chat after all then....?
  • Options
    Joey Barton was scathing of Garner's time at Bristol Rovers - not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but ominous words indeed.

“I think the damage was done in the pre-season,” he said.

“When I speak to people in and around the club I think they were severely undermanned in pre-season with some of the cultural and behavioural patterns that started to emerge under Ben’s watch that were detrimental.

“Ultimately, he recruited the players and the players ended up getting him the sack and getting Tisdale the sack and ended up taking us out of the division.

I suppose I'd have loved Sandgaard to have nicked that premier league coach whose club dearly wanted to hang onto him.  That would've shown real intent.  He has though returned once again to the bargain basement.  I do of course wish for success, I want to be optimistic and have bought a season ticket ... it's just that ... oh I dunno  :/

• Options
    With only perhaps three or four players of sufficient quality for a promotion team i wish whoever it is the best of luck! 
  • Options
    Swindon fans on Garner.

https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=58858.270

Like the sound of this one:

While I can understand people being critical about the home form and the tippy tappy football (to quote an old manager), I think some are forgetting the backroom staff. We managed to get more games out of Baudry, Conroy and Iandolo than anyone else has. We even got a bit out of Lyden. Then there is the way that Williams and Egbo's fitnesses were managed.

To me, the biggest loss would be the infrastructure and training regime put in place by Garner. That appears (from the outside) to be a big part of what the management team offered.

Frustrating to be rebuilding again, but, every problem provides an opportunity.

• Options
    Now that's why we kept Davison. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Why would the first manager TS interviewed be his first choice, and how do we know he even had a ‘first choice’? Sounds to me like they interviewed, and if the rumours are true, are still interviewing lots of candidates.

Maybe they went into it with a complete open mind and wanted to hear from as many managers as possible which is why the process is taking as long as it is.

Secondly, and this is complete ignorance on my part due to my lack of knowledge, but what do you know about the Swindon team and it’s players to say they had one of the best squads in the league? From what I read they had 7 players at the beginning of the season, and had been in somewhat of a downward spiral. 

If you believe that then IMHO you are deluded. TS much like RD has a very small pool of managers who will work under his 'set up', especially in League one, which he is now finding. Garner wasn't first choice or even 5th, but he may well be one of the few prepared to work under the set up provided by TS and MS.
  • Options
    Joey Barton was scathing of Garner's time at Bristol Rovers - not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but ominous words indeed.

“I think the damage was done in the pre-season,” he said.

“When I speak to people in and around the club I think they were severely undermanned in pre-season with some of the cultural and behavioural patterns that started to emerge under Ben’s watch that were detrimental.

“Ultimately, he recruited the players and the players ended up getting him the sack and getting Tisdale the sack and ended up taking us out of the division.

I suppose I'd have loved Sandgaard to have nicked that premier league coach whose club dearly wanted to hang onto him.  That would've shown real intent.  He has though returned once again to the bargain basement.  I do of course wish for success, I want to be optimistic and have bought a season ticket ... it's just that ... oh I dunno  :/

The moral compass of Joey Barton.