Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    So was he 8th, 9th or 10th choice..........

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Is this a question or a statement? Was he 8th choice or numbe 1 target?
    Question, he certainly wasn't number one choice as he wasn't the first manager to be spoken to. But whether TS spoke to 3/5/10 or 100 I don't know.

But the same mistakes are being made time and time again, players bought on stats, now managers.

But despite Swindon being number 1 in almost every stat last season, they weren't top in the one that matters - promotion.......So a manager fail to get one off the best squads in league two out of the division, so we'll give him a go at getting us out of league one with in a relative terms arguably a worse squad...... Swindon only just made the playoffs by a point.
    Why would the first manager TS interviewed be his first choice, and how do we know he even had a ‘first choice’? Sounds to me like they interviewed, and if the rumours are true, are still interviewing lots of candidates.

Maybe they went into it with a complete open mind and wanted to hear from as many managers as possible which is why the process is taking as long as it is.

Secondly, and this is complete ignorance on my part due to my lack of knowledge, but what do you know about the Swindon team and it’s players to say they had one of the best squads in the league? From what I read they had 7 players at the beginning of the season, and had been in somewhat of a downward spiral. 

If you believe that then IMHO you are deluded. TS much like RD has a very small pool of managers who will work under his 'set up', especially in League one, which he is now finding. Garner wasn't first choice or even 5th, but he may well be one of the few prepared to work under the set up provided by TS and MS.
    I love how you state this like it’s undeniable fact. You know as much as anyone else.
    Maybe, maybe not.
  • Options
    Ben Garner speaking to the Swindon Supporters Trust:

https://youtu.be/tnfipIi61Is
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Swindon fans arent happy according to his Wiki..

Ben Garner (born 19 May 1980) is an English professional football coach who is currently head coach of League One club unloyal United.

Personal information
    Full nameBen Garner
    Date of birth19 May 1980 (age 42)
    Place of birthSomaliaSomalia, Somalia
    Club information
    Current team
    Somali Pirates (manager)
    Teams managed
    YearsTeam
    2015–2017West Bromwich Albion (Assistant Head Coach)
    2019ATK (Assistant Head Coach)
    2019–2020Bristol Rovers
    2021–Swindon Town
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    @oohaahmortimer it's not about being content with league one, it's about being realistic.

After 14 years at this level, surely you get our target is to get out of this league, but we aren't the big name club we were. In our season in the championship with Bowyer it was clear we were seen by most as minnows. 

Let's give Garner a chance if he is our man to achieve that promotion.
    My point is I don’t expect anyone to not be fucked off with our current shitness as a football club and I don’t see the problem with having a moan up on the internet about each and everything (yeah it can be tiresome but it’s understandable)because accepting of everything has lead to the continued malaise and wankness at Charlton .
    I know we’re a pissy club in the world of football and our neighbours ridicule us , horrendous times to be supporting us and I fully understand why fans are pissed off with it all .
    I’ve got no view on Garner , I’ll judge on what he does for us, let’s hope he gets a better run at it than Jacko was given 
  • Options
    People do need to listen to what TS says and not what they hope he will do. It has been very clear he wanted a coach rather than a Manager who would play a certain way, this is what he has delivered.

No idea on whether this a good appointment so can't criticise or priase, will simply turn up, watch and support.

Only downside is if he turns out to be a big success having already walked on Swindon very early its likely he would do the same to us, but if that is after promotion to the Championship I would take it. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Question, he certainly wasn't number one choice as he wasn't the first manager to be spoken to. But whether TS spoke to 3/5/10 or 100 I don't know.

But the same mistakes are being made time and time again, players bought on stats, now managers.

But despite Swindon being number 1 in almost every stat last season, they weren't top in the one that matters - promotion.......So a manager fail to get one off the best squads in league two out of the division, so we'll give him a go at getting us out of league one with in a relative terms arguably a worse squad...... Swindon only just made the playoffs by a point.
    Why would the first manager TS interviewed be his first choice, and how do we know he even had a ‘first choice’? Sounds to me like they interviewed, and if the rumours are true, are still interviewing lots of candidates.

Maybe they went into it with a complete open mind and wanted to hear from as many managers as possible which is why the process is taking as long as it is.

Secondly, and this is complete ignorance on my part due to my lack of knowledge, but what do you know about the Swindon team and it’s players to say they had one of the best squads in the league? From what I read they had 7 players at the beginning of the season, and had been in somewhat of a downward spiral. 

If you believe that then IMHO you are deluded. TS much like RD has a very small pool of managers who will work under his 'set up', especially in League one, which he is now finding. Garner wasn't first choice or even 5th, but he may well be one of the few prepared to work under the set up provided by TS and MS.
    So frustrating that instead on engaging in what could be an interesting conversation point you just resort to referring to my opinion as deluded. 

If you are so certain Garner was not even 5th, 6th choice etc, which managers do you think TS would rather have had in front of him?
  • Options
    Mate knows a Swindon player , I've asked him about the fella , will report back if he gets a reply .
    ‘He’s good , don’t know how he will do with older players and stronger characters’

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I love how you state this like it’s undeniable fact. You know as much as anyone else.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    I’m very surprised at the line you are taking here. I presume you have good reasons for it, as it’s quite unsettling. On the face of it, I’m not sure how you could have access to the full recruitment long-list, which is what you imply. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Really good read that and gives a bit more of  an explanation on the Bristol Rovers situation.
  • Options
    If he is bringing his coaches with him, what has to Jason Euell?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    ross1 said:
    If he is bringing his coaches with him, what has to Jason Euell?
    Imagine he drops back to the academy or leaves
  • Options
    As a dinosaur I miss wingers, somebody with a trick to buy a yard and then deliver a cross.  I also think possession is great as long as you win games, much rather watch Fergie's United of the mid 90s than most modern teams, or even the Newcastle of that era.

Any new manager is a risk and any appointment would have reasons to fear it. Beale has never managed etc. So Swindon started last season poorly?  Probably due to bedding in all the new players, if it is him then so be it.
  • Options
    When he was first mentioned, I thought he looked credible as a potential head coach, which is what I assumed TS wanted. If he is appointed, I hope we do well under him. From where we are, he's got a tough job ahead of him though, so he'll need time.
  • Options
    Seems to be a few new bods on this thread that I've never seen or heard of before telling us what a great appointment this Garner will be.

Hmmmm
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I am concerned about what happens to Jason Euell.
    Really why.
    I have no idea wheather this new manager will be a success or not but being allowed to bring his own coaching staff with him and not having to work with a coach he may not necessary get on with makes sense to me.
    I said why earlier in this thread, yesterday evening.