Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Interesting... Just caught up on a number of pages on the thread.

All I'll add is that Cawley clearly doesn't get his inside information from Charlton anymore, we seem to have closed shop on rumours leaking - Is he posting based on Agents etc. jumping the gun
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    On the positive side that's impressive.

On a negative side despite all that possession and shots, their defence was awful as they finished 6th and conceded more than any side in the top 10.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Managers succeed and managers fail. Often the same ones. The reasons for this can be circumstances as well as ability. If it is Garner, I wish him well and will of course give him a chance and hope he succeeds. If I was the owner, I would be more bothered with what I see on the pitch than interviews but hey ho. And that would be results rather all this nonsense about attractive football.

None of us know whether Garner will be a success, and I include Sandgaard in that but he can be, that is largely down to him and the support he gets. It is important we don't faff around and start to focus on next season. That would be a positive at least.
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:

On a negative side despite all that possession and shots, their defence was awful as they finished 6th and conceded more than any side in the top 10.
    Clearly TS thinks that being entertained is more important than promotion.  I think all of us would disagree .  
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    You can never be sure apart from maybe one or two who are out of our league and probably always will be. I suspect Sandgaard believes you can be sure which is probably why he didn't give JJ a proper chance. Still, it is down to Garner now and of course the support he gets, and I don't mean from us.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Addick_8 said:

Clearly TS thinks that being entertained is more important than promotion.  I think all of us would disagree .  
    I think your both write and wrong mate. Ofcourse promotion is important more so to TS than most of us as it lowers his losses if we get promoted. However entertainment is also very important surely ? I know we are all different but if you asked me would I spend my cash next season watching the same turgid crap we saw last season if it got us promoted then the answer is no definitely not. Ofcourse I would be pleased we got promoted but I would be buying tickets to watch it
  • Options
    Wouldnt 
  • Options
    But winning every week is enjoyable in itself. And pragmatism is generally the biggest factor in the style of play. You have to maximise the hand you have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But winning every week is enjoyable in itself. And pragmatism is generally the biggest factor in the style of play. You have to maximise the hand you have.
    As I said mate we are all different but I personally had a gut full of watching us last season and stopped going with about 8 matches left and honestly wouldnt buy a ticket next season if the same was being dished up regardless of results, football is expensive in terms of both time and money and I personally see no enjoyment is a victory if it's a shite game to watch. Yes pleased to win but enjoy the spectacle no.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Of course, generally we win a lot more games and the attractive football would follow. Not always but generally.
  • Options
    Yes I suppose so unless your gameplan is to keep hitting aimless longballs upto a big target man up front in the hope that you win a second ball and score. Yes I would be pleased we won when I saw the result ofcourse. But I wouldnt pay to watch it. This is the reason JJ went I'm sure, nothing to do with results imo his teams set up and performances wouldnt put bums on seats imo
  • Options
    Let's not forget Swindon had a lot of players that shouldn't be playing league two, he failed to get them promoted. It looks like he has a positive attitude, which is a huge tick for TS!!

Today could be interesting, if rumours are true that TS has said it is incorrect. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Can confirm they're still interviewing. Doesn't seem as set in stone as it appears. 
    Possibly in case Garner doesn't sign for any reason.
    True, he might get a better offer.  I hear he is in big demand 
  • Options
    Most goals scored in league two last season, we’re getting a young coach that plays attacking football, that is what TS and that also sounds good to me.

If you want to judge managers/players on how underwhelmed you are that’s fine, but you’d of hated the Curbs era, I’m feeling fairly positive, let’s see, up the addicks.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Was severely underwhelmed when this broke last night , like many others I'd really got my hopes up that it would be Beale or Matt Taylor. The stats do look good in terms of a manager that wants to play attacking football but as with any manager it comes down to will he be backed from above with the funds to make it his squad for his style of play? 

Looks like Garner is a 433 type of manager which will be interesting to see how that works in terms of existing players .

If he's definitely the man , then I'll definitely give him a chance.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    So was he 8th, 9th or 10th choice..........

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Is this a question or a statement? Was he 8th choice or numbe 1 target?
  • Options
    Not in the know here but if we get a Coach or manager that makes our players better surely that’s a good thing whether it’s Garner or Beale 

We’ve had the bullshit bingo managerial skills of Adkins, loved JJ but possibly not quite ready 

Give the fella a chance we have some good players and he gets an extra 10% we are laughing 
    I think that is about spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wish Garner all the very best. He doesn't seem to have done very much of note since the Rockford Files.  
  • Options
    Mate knows a Swindon player , I've asked him about the fella , will report back if he gets a reply .
    I'm not going to read it unless you reply stating percentages!
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    ozaddick said:
    Good luck to him if he's appointment. I'll back the team, can't not. 

What's annoyed me though, again, is TS grandstanding comments. Last season's We're going walk the league, that worked well.

Now its one about our ambition of the  managers we are trying to appoint,  saying we're aiming higher than Beale, who's the hottest property of the english coaching world right now, and he pulls Ben Garner out the bag.

Smacks of the kid at school who's dad, uncles and cousins done everything better than the story you just told, except he's an orphan. 

He needs to shut the f up, and just get on with it. 
    Oh and appoint a CEO who's got a feckin clue how a football club is run. 
    He’d be a very creditable and well respected appointment in football, he’s just appointed a COO and he hasn’t made any of those kinds of comments in nearly a year. 

That walking the league has definitely come back to haunt him I’ll give you.

I just don’t get the hatred and vitriol towards him. He’s a decent bloke who’s doing everything the right way. He’s said he really wants to use the academy and have a young energetic team which totally fits how Swindon progressed last season. 
    Evening Thomas.
    Ahh, the old ‘because I’m defending him, I must be him argument.’ Always a good one. 👍
  • Options
    Like most others on here I would have preferred a "bigger" name, but when we were linked to him earlier in the week I read his wiki page & thought his pedigree &  stats looked good. That was confirmed when I saw this seasons League 2 stats. Most impressive.

He has had years coaching the youngsters & bringing them through to play in the first team. I can see that was attractive to TS as he has said multiple times he want to get our Academy cat 1 status & to use it to bring players into the 1st team instead of spending ££££ on players every season. This was his plan last season but Adkins wasn't fully on board (hence starting the season with no fit left back & no active midfield).

If Garner can reproduce Swindons stats from last season I'll be very pleased.
    If the possible appointment of garner doesn't get a golfie rant, then maybe this could be a good appointment 
  • Options
    So people moaning we did not have a manager now moaning we got one because they don’t know who he is ? Well the best manager we ever had was an unknown from Plymouth coaching team …….
    Welcome Ben … his cv is second to none the people he worked with including the special one himself , the style of play is attacking watched Swindon a few times scored goals .. on paper better option then say Beale … interesting he bringing his coaching team with him not sure where that leaves Euell now ….. but it’s time for every Charlton fan to get behind him and support him …… only problem I can see is he likes Josh Davison lol 
  • Options
    I’m confident Ben Garner and his assistants coming along will improve us. I’m pleased with this appointment 
  • Options
    So people moaning we did not have a manager now moaning we got one because they don’t know who he is ? Well the best manager we ever had was an unknown from Plymouth coaching team …….
    Welcome Ben … his cv is second to none the people he worked with including the special one himself , the style of play is attacking watched Swindon a few times scored goals .. on paper better option then say Beale … interesting he bringing his coaching team with him not sure where that leaves Euell now ….. but it’s time for every Charlton fan to get behind him and support him …… only problem I can see is he likes Josh Davison lol 
    A cv second to none......ffs
    In that field as a coach … when we were looking for a young up coming coach expect Johnny Williams sold him the club as well