Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

1279280281282283285»

Comments

• Garner will be in a division above us soon. 

He's not the problem. 
    Are we getting relegated then?
    Garner will be in the Championship soon. It's up to TS whether that is with us, or not. 
    I don't get why people think Garner is some sort of managerial superstar, that other clubs will be fighting over.

Before joining us he'd been relegated with Bristol R and had a decent season in L2 but without promotion with Swindon, so unless WE do well this season, there's nothing in his track record to suggest a Championship club would be after him.
    That's not true. He wasn't relegated with Bristol Rovers.

He was "relieved of his duties" on 14 November 2020 following a 4–1 home defeat to Fleetwood Town with Rovers in 18th position in League One.
    Former MK Dons and Exeter City boss Paul Tisdale succeeded him before also being replaced in February by Joey Barton, who was the manager when Rovers were relegated.

Interesting fact ........ just a month before being sacked at Rovers, Garner was named Manager of the Week by the EFL and the Football League paper.

• Further, when people say Garner failed to get promotion with Swindon, it does seem they completely ignore the context.

When Garner became manager at Swindon just a couple of weeks before the season started, there was only a squad of 7 players!
    I mean, the bloke performed miracles to get Swindon into the playoffs with a squad of freebies thrown together at the last minute.

And they only got knocked out of the playoffs because a Charlton player missed his penalty.

• Oggy Red said:
    Further, when people say Garner failed to get promotion with Swindon, it does seem they completely ignore the context.

When Garner became manager at Swindon just a couple of weeks before the season started, there was only a squad of 7 players!
    I mean, the bloke performed miracles to get Swindon into the playoffs with a squad of freebies thrown together at the last minute.

And they only got knocked out of the playoffs because a Charlton player missed his penalty.

They had very few players when he arrived, but had a full squad by the 7th August when the season started. 

All teams in L2 operate with freebies, and Swindon had some very good ones, plus Jack Payne was still there. I bet Jonny Williams was on very good money for L2.

Of course he did well, but getting Swindon into the L2 playoffs isn't a miracle
  • He didn't get the striker he needed, so he needs to try to find a compromise. Who, within the current squad, is fast, tricky, and can find the back of the net?
    Only Rak Saki I'd say.
    So adapt the system, get Rak Saki playing far closer to Stockley.
    If we can start getting the best out of Stockley again, that in turn could alleviate a lot of pressure on the defence, who at the moment, know they mustn't concede, as we're unlikely to score too many.
    We tried that at Fleetwood and it didn’t work. Rak-Sakyi is not a striker and Stockley didn’t play any better with someone nearer him. 

The only solution I can see is to keep with the 4-3-3 but with Leaburn starting instead of Stockley, Kirk instead of CBT and Payne instead of Morgan. We keep seeing no end product costing us so why are we still persisting with 3 players that have repeatedly showed they don’t have consistent end product. Payne, Kirk and Leaburn have shown much better final ball/finishing in their limited minutes so they should be starting. Garner can’t carry on moaning that we play alright but have no end product when he’s the man picking these players over players that have shown better end product. 
  • NabySarr said:
    He didn't get the striker he needed, so he needs to try to find a compromise. Who, within the current squad, is fast, tricky, and can find the back of the net?
    Only Rak Saki I'd say.
    So adapt the system, get Rak Saki playing far closer to Stockley.
    If we can start getting the best out of Stockley again, that in turn could alleviate a lot of pressure on the defence, who at the moment, know they mustn't concede, as we're unlikely to score too many.
    We tried that at Fleetwood and it didn’t work. Rak-Sakyi is not a striker and Stockley didn’t play any better with someone nearer him. 

The only solution I can see is to keep with the 4-3-3 but with Leaburn starting instead of Stockley, Kirk instead of CBT and Payne instead of Morgan. We keep seeing no end product costing us so why are we still persisting with 3 players that have repeatedly showed they don’t have consistent end product. Payne, Kirk and Leaburn have shown much better final ball/finishing in their limited minutes so they should be starting. Garner can’t carry on moaning that we play alright but have no end product when he’s the man picking these players over players that have shown better end product. 
    That sounds well worth a try. For all Kirk's apparent lethargy, he does at least put dangerous balls into the box.
    Stockley probably needs a rest as can't fault him for effort. He might actually get more success coming off the bench.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Further, when people say Garner failed to get promotion with Swindon, it does seem they completely ignore the context.

They had very few players when he arrived, but had a full squad by the 7th August when the season started. 

All teams in L2 operate with freebies, and Swindon had some very good ones, plus Jack Payne was still there. I bet Jonny Williams was on very good money for L2.

Yeah, it's easy to sign 15 players in a fortnight and put a winning team together. :smile:

Swindon did sign some good freebies ..... but they were freebies for a reason, still unsigned by other clubs almost until/or just after the season had already started. Those players missed a lot, if not almost all of pre-season.

Though that begs the question: someone turned a ragbag collection of other clubs' rejects into a team that qualified for the playoffs and missed automatic promotion by only 3 points. And scored the most goals and played the most attractive football of any team in that division.

We both agree then that Garner did well.
    I suppose a miracle is like Jesus turning water into wine. You're right that Garner didn't quite do that. :smile:

• edited October 2022
    I stand by my opinion that Garner is a good manager & tries to play good football, but he doesn't have the players to play the way he wants.

Right now it's about getting results.  He needs to find a system that suits the player's he's got, not the players he wants. 
    ...and TS isn't willing to fund the players he wants. So what happens if we are still hovering around 16th place in another months time? Garner says he needs 2 or 3 transfer windows, will he be here that long if we are struggling?
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Yeah, it's easy to sign 15 players in a fortnight and put a winning team together. :smile:

Swindon did sign some good freebies ..... but they were freebies for a reason, still unsigned by other clubs almost until/or just after the season had already started. Those players missed a lot, if not almost all of pre-season.

Though that begs the question: someone turned a ragbag collection of other clubs' rejects into a team that qualified for the playoffs and missed automatic promotion by only 3 points. And scored the most goals and played the most attractive football of any team in that division.

We both agree then that Garner did well.
    I suppose a miracle is like Jesus turning water into wine. You're right that Garner didn't quite do that. :smile:

That's not true though, as most players would have had a pre-season somewhere, in the way we sometimes allow ex players to train with us in the summer, even if we aren't going to sign them. Or had been on trial with Swindon during pre-season

And if the issues was signing players later and integrating them, you'd expecting Swindon to have started slowly and improved as the season went on, whereas they started well and maintained a steady position all season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is this a 'guess who we're referring to' sort of challenge? Is Chorley tonight's ref?
  • Just saw on Amazon Prime BG at Palace match tonight. Hopefully was at the club scouting for more loan players.
  • Just saw on Amazon Prime BG at Palace match tonight. Hopefully was at the club scouting for more loan players.
    Yeah I thought that was him
  • He has Palace roots (if you are emotionally able to process this truth!).
  • CAFCTrev said:
    I stand by my opinion that Garner is a good manager & tries to play good football, but he doesn't have the players to play the way he wants.

Right now it's about getting results.  He needs to find a system that suits the player's he's got, not the players he wants. 
    ...and TS isn't willing to fund the players he wants. So what happens if we are still hovering around 16th place in another months time? Garner says he needs 2 or 3 transfer windows, will he be here that long if we are struggling?
    Good players won't want to stick around for a year or two waiting for an organically grown team.

Bids will come in and good players will be replaced by inferior ones or not at all.
    Can we have Zaha? With no VAR in L1, he'd win 30 penalties a season!
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:
    What I like about it is Ben has grown in to yeh job learnt from his mistakes. He’s changed formation when he has had to, stood up to chairman interviews and seems very passionate about the club, Watch him sod of to the championship now at the first given opportunity :) 
    Luton look like they need a new Manager...