Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    I'm starting to think my almost tongue in cheek comment back when he first came was he'd be gone by November...... I can see TS pulling the trigger. Just like all those before him, would be harsh.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'm starting to think my almost tongue in cheek comment back when he first came was he'd be gone by November...... I can see TS pulling the trigger. Just like all those before him, would be harsh.
    Would be mad. If you sign a Manager as you want him to play a certain way then you have to give him the right tools for the job.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Would be mad. If you sign a Manager as you want him to play a certain way then you have to give him the right tools for the job.
    Absolutely, but in TS we have another egotistical madman. He'll be blaming Garner 100%, yet we all know where the issues lie, I never thought it was Jackson and I don't think it's Garner. The problem is the owner, just like it was with RD.
  • Options
    The solution is simple. 
    Jojo
    clare Lavelle O’Connell sessy 
    fraser Dobbo Payne 
    Rak Leaburn Stockley CBT

In a traditional 4-4-2. 
  • Options
    decent attacking coach, horrific at teaching teams to defender as shown by his past records 
  • Options
    Difficult to see how this is going to end well for Charlton, or Garner. A slow drift downwards and in or around, the relegation zone by the end of October and sacked soon after.

Just hoping that TS goes because we aren’t going anywhere but even lower leagues under his appalling stewardship.

Unless he is consulting his spreadsheets as I type…… 
  • Options
    I’m cutting BG some slack as he has clearly been sold a pig in a poke by Sandgaard but I have to say I don’t find him totally convincing. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Taking CBT off today and replacing with Kirk. For a moment I thought the Barnsley manager was in charge of our substitutions. 

CBT is one of the most overrated players in this squad. Yes he has pace but how often does he provide an end product? 

He's probably one of our better players, but the way some people hype him up is madness.
    He hasn't got a brain and lacks football intelligence, that's why he fits in with our squad 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our squad is not top 6 but it certainly is not 16 in L1.  Garner is underperforming the weak hand he was given.  
  • Options
    He’s been sold short. Not enough ambition with recruitment and no senior striker who can play Garners system. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Taking CBT off today and replacing with Kirk. For a moment I thought the Barnsley manager was in charge of our substitutions. 

CBT is one of the most overrated players in this squad. Yes he has pace but how often does he provide an end product? 

He's probably one of our better players, but the way some people hype him up is madness.
    100% bang on.  And the fact he’s one of our ‘better players’ speaks volumes
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Our squad is not top 6 but it certainly is not 16 in L1.  Garner is underperforming the weak hand he was given.  
    Let’s not get silly. Garner is the hope of a serious way forward. The Club are at least aiming to play attractive football and he needs a minimum of two more windows.
    I for one do not want a return to hoof it forward football so I am content to let him get on with it.
    If hoof ball is the way to get out of this league, I woud be all for it. But of course it needn't be.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I have a feeling Ben's very open approach to defending wasn't punished anywhere near as much in League Two because the quality of finishing is poor. In League One it is getting punished more frequently. I don't see any attempts to address it. We allow so much space around our box and are happy to leave players forward even when we're under pressure. 

That's this team's biggest problem, we can't do well if we continue to concede in every game. I think the continuous 3/10 performances by Stockley are really distracting from the problem at the other end of the pitch. If we had a striker who fit the system, this problem would still be holding us back. It's very difficult to win games when you have to score 2-4 goals every time. 

You obviously can't blame Garner for Jayden, he's stuck with him for the time being, but our defensive record is very much on him.
    Is it? Egbo and Sessegnon the first choice full back options both get injured. It was also no secret he wanted another centre back. 

I won't put any blame on Garner until he is financially backed and still fails to deliver. This is all on the Sandgaards.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I have a feeling Ben's very open approach to defending wasn't punished anywhere near as much in League Two because the quality of finishing is poor. In League One it is getting punished more frequently. I don't see any attempts to address it. We allow so much space around our box and are happy to leave players forward even when we're under pressure. 

That's this team's biggest problem, we can't do well if we continue to concede in every game. I think the continuous 3/10 performances by Stockley are really distracting from the problem at the other end of the pitch. If we had a striker who fit the system, this problem would still be holding us back. It's very difficult to win games when you have to score 2-4 goals every time. 

You obviously can't blame Garner for Jayden, he's stuck with him for the time being, but our defensive record is very much on him.
    It's a double edged sword though.  The defence are playing under pressure because they know if they concede a goal its maximum 1 point.  The fowards know they need to score at least 1 to get a point.

If we sort the defence out, perversely, we will actually score more goals.

• Options
    Last season, Swindon conceded the most goals out of all the top 7. Clearly his ethos is winning 2-1 rather than 1-0, but it does mean that in the absence of goal scorers up front, we struggle to grind out scruffy smash and grab 1-0 wins, because we're not defensively good enough 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Is it? Egbo and Sessegnon the first choice full back options both get injured. It was also no secret he wanted another centre back. 

I won't put any blame on Garner until he is financially backed and still fails to deliver. This is all on the Sandgaards.
    You're right. Some truth in that. Clayden alone has been at fault for 3-4 goals and shouldn't have been playing (a bloody youth team winger playing LB for christ's sake). But I still feel like the defensive shape and plans in general are also major contributors.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

You're right. Some truth in that. Clayden alone has been at fault for 3-4 goals and shouldn't have been playing (a bloody youth team winger playing LB for christ's sake). But I still feel like the defensive shape and plans in general are also major contributors.
     Has Garner seconded defensive duties like Bowyer used to? 

I certainly feel sometimes like defenders should know how to hold their shape too. Their primary job is to defend, if they and the keeper communicate well, they should be able to manage. They are allegedly professionals.
  • Options
    I don’t know whether Ben Garner is good or bad but this immediate love in for him by some is just the standard rose tinted view of anything that turns up at Charlton is immediately elevated to levels of greatness .
    I really like the way he carries himself and talks but looking at results and the limited number of performances I have seen I’m not seeing the reason why some are panicking that he’s all of a sudden going to be headhunted .
    The only person who is going to headhunt Garner is Sandgaard......to kick him out if we have a further poor six results.
  • Options
    When Garner said if we get in the top six then we are over achieving, must have done the players morale a lot of good. Even if true not the most sensible comment to make!
  • Options
    I hope Ben has other formations and tactics in his locker, not a criticism inferring point, just that he has not been provided the right resources to play his preferred approach, despite Thomas trying to find a coach complimentary in style to what he wants to see. 
  • Options
    When Garner said if we get in the top six then we are over achieving, must have done the players morale a lot of good. Even if true not the most sensible comment to make!

Its a stupid and overly cautious thing to say to the cameras. 

He's probably trying to hint that the summer transfer window wasn't anywhere near good enough. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I like him.

I was impressed with him at the Q&A and felt he needs to be given time as clearly he hasn’t been given the resources to make us successful this season. His 2/3 windows feels like a realistic timescale

I hope the fans don’t turn on him.
    Bowyer wasn't given the resources he needed.

Adkins wasn't given the resources he needed.

Jackson wasn't given the resources he needed.

Didn't stop the fans turning on all of them.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Richard J said:
    I like him.

I was impressed with him at the Q&A and felt he needs to be given time as clearly he hasn’t been given the resources to make us successful this season. His 2/3 windows feels like a realistic timescale

I hope the fans don’t turn on him.
    Bowyer wasn't given the resources he needed.

Adkins wasn't given the resources he needed.

Jackson wasn't given the resources he needed.

Didn't stop the fans turning on all of them.
    Could already hear it starting on Saturday. For me if we are mid table then I think (like Jackson and Bowyer) he will have basically achieved what is expected based on the strength of the squad he has. If we are any lower (like we are now but still early days) then he will be underperforming like Adkins. The squad isn’t good but it’s better than 16th