Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:
    “His style is possession based and playing in the opposition’s half. He didn’t necessarily execute that at Rovers but I saw his Swindon side a couple of times last season and they definitely played in his image – they had the highest possession percentage in League Two.
    League One is a tough league to do that in if you haven’t got the players to do that."

Have we/will we get the players to do that?

“The recruitment side at Rovers, which wasn’t entirely in his hands and was more a joint operation, there were a few mistakes made there and that left holes in the team which made it hard. They didn’t get off to a good start."

That sounds familiar. 

Yes it does, you’re talking about the setup at Swindon, right?
    Rovers... 
    I know, but Garner didn’t have complete control at Swindon either. He was head coach and worked under a DoF.
    I think the whole DoF is a dangerous term.  Work with, work under, work against?  We have seen it all.

Gallen wasn't director of football, then was, then was a director who was director of football, then wasn't.  Its a meaningless job title.  Did his role change in that time?

Garner and Chorley were very similar to Robinson, or Bowyer, and Gallen.  That's very different to the role Reed had at Southampton, or the "continental model".  That's very different to the relationship Adkins and Jackson had with "him".  Who ever him was and what job title he had.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:
    “His style is possession based and playing in the opposition’s half. He didn’t necessarily execute that at Rovers but I saw his Swindon side a couple of times last season and they definitely played in his image – they had the highest possession percentage in League Two.
    League One is a tough league to do that in if you haven’t got the players to do that."

Have we/will we get the players to do that?

“The recruitment side at Rovers, which wasn’t entirely in his hands and was more a joint operation, there were a few mistakes made there and that left holes in the team which made it hard. They didn’t get off to a good start."

That sounds familiar. 

Yes it does, you’re talking about the setup at Swindon, right?
    Rovers ...... it was from the article @clive posted above from the SLP, quoting comments from Sam Frost, Bristol Rovers reporter for Bristol Live.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    And the way people talk about Swindon, you'd have thought he'd splashed the cash to bring in the L2 versions of De Bruyne and Tiago.

It's not overnight, but players can adapt to different ways of playing. After all when Brendan Rodgers got Swansea promoted to the Premier League, playing a very "pure" version of possession football, in their midfield scoring 9 league goals was Darren Pratley.
    He did.  Johnny 🥰🥰🥰
    Joniesta! I'm bored with discussing Ben Garner on the Ben Garner thread. Even bored with discussing Darren Pratley.

There's even a Garner connection, so let's talk about Jonny! :smile:
  • Options
    In regards to BG's coaching team, has there been anymore news or speculation on bringing his backroom staff over too? 
    Didn't Adkins want his own coaches, but was denied this by TS? 
    If it's the same scenario with BG as Adkins, I'd be concerned. If TS wants success, you've got to stack the cards in your favour as much as possible, which means getting those blokes signed up to. 
  • Options
    How do you give ten likes in CL?
  • Options
    Beginning to think TS was attracted to appointing BG because he did well with a small squad at Swindon and that BG’s purported preferred formation and style of play, with a small squad, will lead to a similar start to the season as under NA last season. Hope I’m wrong.
  • Options
    Here we have dynamic midfielder Woody Woodward totally ready for the modern game..
    Valet Trouser Press by Fratelli Reguitti For Sale at 1stDibs
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    In regards to BG's coaching team, has there been anymore news or speculation on bringing his backroom staff over too? 
    If it's the same scenario with BG as Adkins, I'd be concerned. If TS wants success, you've got to stack the cards in your favour as much as possible, which means getting those blokes signed up to. 
    This is what is worrying me, I don't think ts is getting them in. Just a feeling) and I think that'll be a big mistake again in my opinion.
  • Options
    Billyboy said:
    ozaddick said:
    This is what is worrying me, I don't think ts is getting them in. Just a feeling) and I think that'll be a big mistake again in my opinion.
    TS already said Garner will decide his backroom staff if he wants the two from Swindon then they will try to make it happen .. but they are under contract . As for Adkins part of the deal taking over was that Jackson would be number two with the plan for him to take over after a few years .. not a a few months 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billyboy said:
    ozaddick said:
    TS already said Garner will decide his backroom staff if he wants the two from Swindon then they will try to make it happen .. but they are under contract . As for Adkins part of the deal taking over was that Jackson would be number two with the plan for him to take over after a few years .. not a a few months 
    Is that today's bedtime story? 

Where do you get your "facts" from?
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Billyboy said:
    ozaddick said:
    Is that today's bedtime story? 

Where do you get your "facts" from?
    I suspect from the same place as the speculation that Adkins was denied his own back room staff.
  • Options
    I reckon Sandgaards hope is whoever they appoint will want their own backroom staff, so Swindon will release them both from their contracts. They will then be free to join us. 
    It is what I said a while back. They should review their stance of wanting compensation or they could end up paying compensation.
    Sensible for TS to wait and see.
  • Options
    Billyboy said:
    ozaddick said:
    Oh Ronnie….
  • Options
    I reckon Sandgaards hope is whoever they appoint will want their own backroom staff, so Swindon will release them both from their contracts. They will then be free to join us. 
    Which is smart to wait it out and save some dosh. 

Easy to say he should just pay it when it’s not your own money at stake 
  • Options
    As a fan, not sure I think it's that smart to wait as that was our downfall last season in recruitment.

As an accountant, I might think it is smart. 
  • Options
    As we go through managers like most people go through underwear, are we keeping this thread stickied ready for the next one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What’s Garner meant to do in the meantime?
  • Options
    His job? At this point he's still not anywhere near the squad he'll actually start next season with, he's got time to start looking at/talking to players and making decisions.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    His job? At this point he's still not anywhere near the squad he'll actually start next season with, he's got time to start looking at/talking to players and making decisions.
    Exactly, it's not Garbers assistant that picks the potential signings. 
  • Options
    Plus Euell and De Souza are both still around and can help with drills and general fitness work for the time being. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Plus Euell and De Souza are both still around and can help with drills and general fitness work for the time being. 
    Wow, if that is so, what a position to be put in, "Hi lads, could you just fill in for a few weeks with the fitness program until we get the proper guys in", Mmmm, yeah sure thing.. :(
  • Options
    Clubs will be allowed to make five substitutions in Sky Bet Championship, League One and League Two matches from the 2022/23 season.
    #cafc | http://cafc.co.uk

Will we have enough players?  :)
  • Options
    As we go through managers like most people go through underwear, are we keeping this thread stickied ready for the next one?
    I own (and wear) pants bought when Alan Pardew was manager.

My pants have outlasted 15 Charlton managers.
    Do you only wear them when a new manager is announced? No chance pants would last that long, you must have big balls like a bison to stop that crutch wear and tear!