Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    "gameweek"

Eeuugghh
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Surprising that no Charlton players made that line up after that performance midweek
    Perhaps you could call that a positive inasmuch as it means that we won due to a properly rounded team performance and not individual brilliance...

Still disappointing. Would have thought we'd be ahead of Bolton on the right wing at least.
  • Options
    There’s no way 3 midfielders put in a better performance than Albie. Shows those teams of the week are a bit meaningless. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Surprising that no Charlton players made that line up after that performance midweek
    Perhaps you could call that a positive inasmuch as it means that we won due to a properly rounded team performance and not individual brilliance...

Still disappointing. Would have thought we'd be ahead of Bolton on the right wing at least.
    To be fair if our right winger is competing against the whole of Bolton Wanderers, it's not surprising JRS missed out!

I couldn't help noticing who the striker of the week was too. Two very good goals before it all went wrong for the Dons...
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    There’s no way 3 midfielders put in a better performance than Albie. Shows those teams of the week are a bit meaningless. 

Would love to know the ins and outs of the WhoScored ratings because that's what these are based on. I do like a stat but i've not gone that deep into it... although now I've got an idea for my free time later. :-)

Ben Garner getting manager of the week must mean our team as a collective had the highest average which is great to see.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    The ratings get taken from WhoScored.com, or they have done previously.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1648590/Live/England-League-One-2022-2023-Charlton-Plymouth

Albie Morgan got a 7.0 (Kirk was rated our best player)
    Diang and Benson got an 8.0 | Johnson got a rating of 9.0

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1648591/Live/England-League-One-2022-2023-Exeter-Wycombe
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1648680/Live/England-League-One-2022-2023-Milton-Keynes-Dons-Port-Vale

Explanation of their ratings system...

https://www.whoscored.com/Explanations#:~:text=WhoScored.com Ratings are considered,giants, bookmakers and football clubs.
  • Options
    Very early days stil but I really do get a sense of something good building up.

thevtransformation in some of the players is stunning and the overall style of play has been pretty fucking decent!

The Plymouth scoreline will make a few more sit up and notice us and long May it continue.  I hope once teams start to set out to disrupt us or frustrate us we can come up with the goods and just do our lien thing around them too.

loving it so far!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Very early days stil but I really do get a sense of something good building up.

thevtransformation in some of the players is stunning and the overall style of play has been pretty fucking decent!

The Plymouth scoreline will make a few more sit up and notice us and long May it continue.  I hope once teams start to set out to disrupt us or frustrate us we can come up with the goods and just do our lien thing around them too.

loving it so far!
    100%. Before the season kicked off I thought that as long as I saw progress and the club build towards something and the football was good to watch I’d be happy. That’s still my view and I still get the feeling the journey is maybe a two season one. We mustn’t forget the first 45 v Derby and the second 45 v Accrington. We’re not there yet but I agree things are looking promising. I have no doubt Garner is exactly what we needed. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Another excellent and interesting post match interview. He talks so well and no football cliches that we've been used to from our last few Managers. 

There's real detail, with focus on plans and delivery  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taking CBT off today and replacing with Kirk. For a moment I thought the Barnsley manager was in charge of our substitutions. 

• Options
    Taking CBT off today and replacing with Kirk. For a moment I thought the Barnsley manager was in charge of our substitutions. 

Kirk did more in 30 mins than CBT did in 60 today.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

Kirk did more in 30 mins than CBT did in 60 today.
    Makes a change 
  • Options
    Won 2 in 10 league games. No win in 6.

Not looking good is it?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Won 2 in 10 league games. No win in 6.

Not looking good is it?
    Playing league two players in League one. 

Giving him a bunch of crap players and then blaming him when he can't win with them is idiotic. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I think Garner could be a success if supported. But as he isn't we really need a pragmatic manager. Yes, we have brought a few in, but basically we have changed our style of play on the say so of an idiot with less money/resources. I said when Garner was brought in we needed to either evolve the current team, which was the cheaper option or back Garner and hope he knew what he was doing. I think he does know what he is doing, which is a positive but he hasn't been backed and he probably feels he can't be pragmatic. He should look what he has got and try to maximise that and if Sandgaard doesn't like it, tell him to F off or sack me.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Managed 43 games in L1
    Won 8
    Drawn 13
    Lost 22
    Points 37
    Out of his depth in L1 by those stats.

We are his third managerial role. He is yet to stay anywhere a year.
  • Options
    NOT HIS FAULT 
  • Options
    Managed 43 games in L1
    Won 8
    Drawn 13
    Lost 22
    Points 37

nothing like a bit of spin!! Bristol rovers sacked, granted.

Swindon, he would be in year 2 of his second job if Charlton as a more attractive proposition didn't come along.

charlton, he will be here longer than a year
  • Options
    Managed 43 games in L1
    Won 8
    Drawn 13
    Lost 22
    Points 37

Win is his next 3 and he has a chance of staying up. Might need results to go his way
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Managed 43 games in L1
    Won 8
    Drawn 13
    Lost 22
    Points 37

Win is his next 3 and he has a chance of staying up. Might need results to go his way
    But young Sandgaard told his dad that he would be perfect, and we have been told that he knows all about football 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Managed 43 games in L1
    Won 8
    Drawn 13
    Lost 22
    Points 37

But young Sandgaard told his dad that he would be perfect, and we have been told that he knows all about football 
    My post was attempted humour. 43 games managed in league 1, 46 in a season.....

the fact that I'm trying to explain says it all. I expect more tumbleweed to pass in front of me
  • Options
    Underwhelming appointment is unsurprisingly turning out to be underwhelming

I don't think he'll last long
  • Options
    Underwhelming appointment is unsurprisingly turning out to be underwhelming

I don't think he'll last long
     Quite honestly, where would Sandgaard go next?
    He's fu*ked up every appointment he's made
  • Options
    I reckon the Oxford game is his last chance to keep fans onside. It’s all wearing a bit thin now. 
  • Options
    I think we've signed about 8 players and three of those are permanent deals with players from Swindon, yet the general consensus is that Garner doesn't have any input on player signings?
  • Options
    I think we've signed about 8 players and three of those are permanent deals with players from Swindon, yet the general consensus is that Garner doesn't have any input on player signings?
     And that's because Sandgaard and his scouting man (son) haven't got the first clue about spotting talent so they handed much of it to Garner.
    As I said earlier, quite where they'd go after sacking Garner would be interesting.
    I think we've got a fair old way to go before it happens for that very reason.
  • Options
    If your homeless and you pick up 3 £1 coins off the floor do you have any input to your income?
  • Options

It doesn’t matter, neither are good enough.  This is the problem.  We don’t have good enough players.  The only thing I can critique BG on so far is the fact he said he watched all our games last season and decided to play Stockley up top in a 3 in this possession based style.  Stockley can’t run the channels, has the touch of Bambi on ice and is only effective getting on the end of crosses.  If he said he watched all those games, you wouldn’t get Stockley to play that role.

I also think he’s been very naive to think players of the quality of Inniss, Lavelle and O’Connell can build a game from the back, and his commitment to his possession style in general.  

Apart from that I would say he’s had to bring in players on a paltry budget, working for a deluded owner in an unstable football club.  

It’s unlikely to turn round for him with the players we have, it’s just a case of how bad it gets with them under him now for me.    
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Garner sounding like Jackson, sounding like Adkins, sounding like Bowyer.

All of them spinning the same record.