Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread | Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | 11/09/21

Comments

• Options
    Adkins obviously needs to take a lot of the blame, but it ain't necessary bad tactics that make players put in terrible individual performance. Challenging for the ball, lacklustre passing etc. They're falling short in just about every aspect, including Adkins
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    An incredible performance - players seemed utterly clueless. Kirk and DJ were shocking and Watson/Morgan were invisible.

I have no idea what goes on in training - no energy and no closing down.

Losing faith in Adkins - embarrassing to be outclassed by Cheltenham.
    Did you listen to his post match comments?

He's fuming with the squad and it's very clear no one's position is safe now we have competition for places.
    Didn't hear them. Looks like the players aren't listening? 
  • Options
    Never wanted Adkins, gave him time and backing anyway but unfortunately I have no good will for him and so his window of time is shorter than others might get. And today was really alarming ; we had a terrible squad for the first couple of games but tbh with Kirk, Lee, Leko, Lavelle and even the palace left back all added, IMO we should be in the play off picture. Tactics, selection and player management are to blame for such a toss performance today. If we’d gone for a rookie who was learning I might forgive that but Adkins is supposed to know what he’s doing now. 

Given that it looks like he doesn’t, he can bugger off back to Scouseland and I await the appointment of a manager from London please 
  • Options
    Morgan shouldn’t be anywhere near the u23’s let alone the first team. Awful player both on and off the ball.
    In fairness the rest weren’t much better. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    An incredible performance - players seemed utterly clueless. Kirk and DJ were shocking and Watson/Morgan were invisible.

I have no idea what goes on in training - no energy and no closing down.

Losing faith in Adkins - embarrassing to be outclassed by Cheltenham.
    Did you listen to his post match comments?

He's fuming with the squad and it's very clear no one's position is safe now we have competition for places.
    Didn't hear them. Looks like the players aren't listening? 
    Well I'd guess that is why he was fuming.
  • Options
    Well things can only get better. That’s the only positive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our most convincing performance of the season was overseen by Jacko, I know it was only Crawley but he got us ticking over nicely.
  • Options
    I’ve heard Charlton fans say that for years. When we were in the Premiership “things can only get better” when we were in the Championship “things can only get better” 
    There is a league 2. 
  • Options
    A comfortable win for Cheltenham. Just like it was a convincing win for Wigan a few weeks ago. But today we expected more from our team and all put in a less than average performance. So disappointing. Gunter shouldn’t have started and the midfield was non existent. Stockley knackered. Tactics was the clear problem today though and we got that wrong. As Airman alluded to, unless things pick up in the next couple of games, something will change and it has to. 
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    I’ve heard Charlton fans say that for years. When we were in the Premiership “things can only get better” when we were in the Championship “things can only get better” 
    There is a league 2. 
    And beyond, ask Southend fans.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Our most convincing performance of the season was overseen by Jacko, I know it was only Crawley but he got us ticking over nicely.
    You think he managed that throughout?! I think he was just on the touchline for the game, but can't be certain. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    You think he managed that throughout?! I think he was just on the touchline for the game, but can't be certain. 
    I don't know, but that's the only game this season where I've felt there was some sort of a plan. I can't really see what we're trying to do at the moment, we're rudderless and we look unfit.
  • Options
    Too many had a poor game today to single out individuals. The only way we’ll get results with this group of players is if we play 442. First half made it abundantly clear that the way Adkins has them setup is not working. Looked better 2nd half with Leko up top with Shockley but we’re talking about chasing a game at home against Cheltenham.  Worrying. 
  • Options
    Definite different tone in his post match interview. He's not sugar coating it
  • Options
    May aswell do away with the midfield and keep on practicing famewo hoofing it up to stockley. It may pay off one day.
  • Options
    May aswell do away with the midfield and keep on practicing famewo hoofing it up to stockley. It may pay off one day.
    We don't have a midfield.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Something Adkins has said he doesn't want us doing.

Bowyer said similar.
  • Options
    There is so much wrong with the performances that Airman Brown's view that Adkins may have only 2 games left seems right.

The defence has looked porous from the start and none of the centre back pairings have looked convincing. Not having a proper left back has made it look worse, but not caused it.

The midfield pairings have not worked. Maybe if he can get Arter it it might improve but generally there is no dynamism in midfield. Lee might work there but Arter would have to carry a heavy defensive load.

Stockley up front alone does not work and yet Adkins persists. 

As I said, so many things need sorting and this does not even factor in that Kirk looks wrong at present, Inniss is an injury prone problem, there is no real back up for Stockley and even MacGillvray, tho obviously a good shotstopper, does not command his area and has given goals away, like today, by palming shots back to the opposition.

Its grim, and may need somebody other than Adkins to sort it out.
  • Options
    Jackson?
    Euell?