Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-Match Thread | Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | 11/09/21

Comments

• Havent read everything on here,but just cannot understand the last substitution,which ended up with two right backs on the pitch a goal down,and Taylor Blackett who has looked lively when he has played,not used.
  • shirty5 said:

Slight contrast though, in 06-07 we were in the premier league.
    Is it wrong though? Correct it otherwise then
  • At least we’re above Ipswich
  • Adkins ain’t going anywhere, no way TS will get rid of him at the moment. He wasn’t my choice for manager either, but it’d be best to park any misgivings you have about him for now because he will be our manager for a while yet. 
    I think you’re right but if he doesn’t turn it round in the next two games we’ve then got Portsmouth and Bolton (5-2 winners at Ipswich today). Results bring managers down regardless of the owner’s intention. I don’t think Thomas will be an exception to that, if it comes to it. Hopefully it won’t.
    They do but some owners take longer to pull the trigger than others. We were on arguably a worse run under Bowyer and Bowyer was not TS’s appointment but he never sacked Bowyer. TS will do what he he feels he has to when he feels he has to, I don’t doubt that, I just think he will give Adkins lots of time to turn it around. I hope he can. 
  • Positives - Leko is class at this level . Papa looks good as well . 

Negatives - Has it taken us all of these games to work out that if the oppo stop Stockley we have no plan B.  What’s wrong with him dropping deeper and playing it through the lines ? 

We completely lost the midfield early on . When they broke we had no-one tracking back and busting a gut to get there. Watson can’t do it any more  and Morgan has been exposed by successive managers  for this. 

When we have the ball at the back there is no movement at all . Where is the midfielders coming back to pick it up, get busy playing 1-2’s as a result all we are doing is hoofing it upfield. 

If stockley is getting bullied off it by their CB ‘s what wrong with taking him off and playing Washington and Leko and expose the defences lack of pace ? 

Sorry Nigel if you were disappointed with the players you should have acted earlier. 

Hooray. Someone agrees with me. Just drop Stockley and try something else. Or do we wait until Christmas? 
  • Southbank said:
    Jessie said:
    I must admit I'm finding it hard to sleep right now. It's past 12am. Have we ever been this low before? Ever?😰
    Yes. Stupid fucking statement
    I am pretty sure we have never been this low in the league structure before.
    If thats what was meant then I'll apologise naturally but if he means as a club then it's daft.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ironically the only positive I take from today is the fact mr positive Adkins, was unable and didn’t even try to put a positive spin on things post match. Which hopefully has the desired reality check( if we really needed one!) going forward.I have to say I didn’t see that performance coming today, a little disjointed maybe with new players, but there wasn’t  not that many. So quite baffled and disappointed  by it.
  • seth plum said:
    We are now ten points behind target.
    TEN.
    That means winning all games at home and five away whilst drawing the rest.
    Not going to happen. I think the choice now is either a relegation battle or mid table obscurity.
    Yet Nigel talks such a good outlook. Surely worth keeping...........? Talk the talk, and you can blag a career post Thatcher. 
    Page 5 - 5 of the worst fouls in football history
    Are all Thatchers wankers?
    No (Ben was though...)
  • edited September 2021
    Adkins has to find ways to get more bodies quickly in he box when we attack at home. When we are attacking on the other flank, I want to see DJ in there. I want to see Lee in there and Stockley and that is at the beginning of the attack. Then you need Watson or Morgan joining, and the team press high but neither do this.

Instead the wide player gets it and with no quick ball in the box option has to check back or wait for support then the ball goes backwards or is played in beyond speculatively!
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

Slight contrast though, in 06-07 we were in the premier league.
    Is it wrong though? Correct it otherwise then
    Didn't say it was wrong did i? More a reflection that the current lot are far worse.
  • This club brings you such little joy it is insane!!
    It's all part of the Charlton experience I think.....you get a bit excited after a spell of slightly above average performance and bam,.. the shite returns to bite you on the arse...thing is there is not much you can do about it once that Charlton journey begins...is there, you are in it for the duration..

• The lad we nearly signed instead of DJ scored twice for Bolton today. 
    He is going to have a jolly time with our defence in a couple of weeks. 
    I said after the first game that we would have only scored six goals in the first eight games and Nads would be on the ropes. 
    It’s looking a fair prediction. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Defending Albie Morgan all pre season after the lack of signings centre midfield but I was wrong.  That’s the most anonymous centre midfield I’ve seen in charlton shirts, Morgan and Watson cannot be seen again, they don’t want the ball, they don’t do anything with it and they offer nothing.

Kirk has been terrible, are we that much bigger than Crewe that their top players come here and look irrelevant?  DJ I still have a bit of hope for but not consistent that’s for sure.

Stockley left holding his cock upfront cannot get anywhere near the ball enough cos there’s nothing worth attempting.  

So when do we look at Atkins, another one I defended, we looks devoid of any tactics or game plan, unless you call skipping centre midfielder altogether and punting it long to a lone striker tactics.  And he’s got a good squad on paper, I don’t want him gone let’s be clear but this is not acceptable and he’s gotta take some responsibility.

This Cheltenham side sliced about 5 clearances today, they’re not even league one standard I’d argue, but we let them have so much time.  They’re like a Sunday league side who’ve been given a big day out but somehow made mugs of us.

How the fuck does this club STILL regress even in the face of a bit of finance and positivity around the place, are we plagued, do we have a terminal disease?  I genuinely feel like if we signed messi he’d still not score or take a player on.

They were quicker than us, tidier than us and they looked like a team.that knew how we play and they made us look awful. Kirk was awful and a the Cheltenham team were better than him. Our mid field is woeful but Watson was the best of that bunch. Their 5 in midfield had the better of us from the off. Pub side ? I think we looked like that , not them.
    I would say they are a side that know how they play. But they made some errors that went criminally unpunished by our headless chicken style of attacking. They fully deserved the victory today though . I just think our shitness made them look better than they were.
  • I think if Adkins doesn’t get a win at Wycombe or Gillingham he’ll be on borrowed time.
    He should be already 
  • Such a Jekyll and Hyde show for Gunter following his last game in which he played very well. This time out - dreadful dreadful first half, marginally improved in the second but damage already done. Kirk clearly not settled yet but came with rave reviews so give him time.

Only positive for me was Leko who clearly has a lot more to offer than a League One standard player. 

A very frustrating afternoon and the next 4 games aren’t going to be easy either.
  • At the Valley. Don’t think I have seen anything as bad in a long while.
     We’ve lost to a pub team from the Cotswolds at home?
  • Defending Albie Morgan all pre season after the lack of signings centre midfield but I was wrong.  That’s the most anonymous centre midfield I’ve seen in charlton shirts, Morgan and Watson cannot be seen again, they don’t want the ball, they don’t do anything with it and they offer nothing.

Kirk has been terrible, are we that much bigger than Crewe that their top players come here and look irrelevant?  DJ I still have a bit of hope for but not consistent that’s for sure.

Stockley left holding his cock upfront cannot get anywhere near the ball enough cos there’s nothing worth attempting.  

So when do we look at Atkins, another one I defended, we looks devoid of any tactics or game plan, unless you call skipping centre midfielder altogether and punting it long to a lone striker tactics.  And he’s got a good squad on paper, I don’t want him gone let’s be clear but this is not acceptable and he’s gotta take some responsibility.

This Cheltenham side sliced about 5 clearances today, they’re not even league one standard I’d argue, but we let them have so much time.  They’re like a Sunday league side who’ve been given a big day out but somehow made mugs of us.

How the fuck does this club STILL regress even in the face of a bit of finance and positivity around the place, are we plagued, do we have a terminal disease?  I genuinely feel like if we signed messi he’d still not score or take a player on.

They were quicker than us, tidier than us and they looked like a team.that knew how we play and they made us look awful. Kirk was awful and a the Cheltenham team were better than him. Our mid field is woeful but Watson was the best of that bunch. Their 5 in midfield had the better of us from the off. Pub side ? I think we looked like that , not them.
    Cheltenham have a very good manager and won L2 last season. They are a well organised and quite talented side. I never expect us to beat such teams easily. What I do expect is for Charlton teams to look at least organised, proficient and interested  .. so far this season we have mostly lacked these three attributes. To my mind the blame for this lies with the manager. Footballers, accountants, dustmen, soldiers, shop workers, you name any worker in any industry, they never perform well under poor management no matter how talented, how good they might be at their job, it takes good management to make the most of anyone's ability
  • seth plum said:
    Jackson?
    Euell?
    I’d lean Euell
  • For my sanity. I will go to my long forgotten ancient default. Walking towards The Valley and discussing with my family - how many goals are we going to lose by this week!
  • What Adkins has to do is a proper analysis with his coaching staff and look at all the things we did wrong and find answers to them. I could easily edit a video which provided what we did wrong - we all could. There will be answers - like why players make the decisions they do in dangerous positions. An example is when they gave the ball to Stockley, we were comedic in our response to it. There was this and other occasions where the right cross ball had a free player, why do we not take these on? Ask the questions, then find the answers.