Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-Match Thread | Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | 11/09/21

1171819202123»

Comments

• edited September 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    last night was an example of why man utd will never win the title or champ league with solskjar - they collapseda fter the sending off and it was screaming out for ronaldo to come off and put some legs on up top - they were just waiting to concede - awful management - how adkins let that first half go on on saturday is beyond me - how can you stand there and watch it? like southgate in the final - they would argue that you need to stay calm and carry on but not when it goes on for that long 
    Should have gone 3-4-2 in my opinion rather than 3-5-1 even Lingaard's pace did nothing as they had so much time up the pitch.
  • If Cheltenham in the first half had been killing us down our right hand side, i.e. in front of the West Stand rather than the Curbs, I wonder if Adkins might have taken action sooner, as it would have been more blatantly visible?

If Nigel Adkins couldn't see what was happening down the left with Gunter and  Kirk then he needs to take up the offer from Specsavers, and increase the strength of his glasses. 

I was quite far back in the lower west on Saturday with the young U18 lads in the row behind me. The Corner section by the East stand at the Jimmy seed end is a long way but you can see moves breaking down. 
    From the dug out which was 40 yards nearer than I was, Nigel could see clearly how the link up play was poor, and we were being opened up easier than a can of beans down our left side by the East stand down the Covered end side.
  • Maccn05 said:
    People keep swing Kirk & DJ are not wingers and its true … in the same way that Sterling & Salah aren’t wingers.

They are inside forwards and like Salah, perfect on paper for the role… which makes it even stranger why Akins can’t get a tune out of them.
    They are not inside forwards.  They plY wide. Lee is like an inside forward, an attacking midfielder slightly forward of the middle. 
    Nope… they are not traditional wingers they are modern inside forwards as a comparison like Salah.

Lee is a 10 
  • It's a funny one isn't it as Bowyer saw the same crap and subbed Bogle after 30 mins, but got the finger pointed at him being an angry manager.

Interesting 9.22am observation @soapboxsam. I sat near the tunnel and think NA asked Matthews to take a little injury (as he had a word with him and 3 mins later he stayed down). Then a message was passed to McG by the reserve team goalie. I sadly think it was something the players should have noted themselves - to use the right hand side of the pitch aswell for kicking, passing and spreading play. 
  • Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    People keep swing Kirk & DJ are not wingers and its true … in the same way that Sterling & Salah aren’t wingers.

They are inside forwards and like Salah, perfect on paper for the role… which makes it even stranger why Akins can’t get a tune out of them.
    They are not inside forwards.  They plY wide. Lee is like an inside forward, an attacking midfielder slightly forward of the middle. 
    Nope… they are not traditional wingers they are modern inside forwards as a comparison like Salah.

Lee is a 10 
    There are two definitions for inside forwards. The modern meaning is that they’re wide attacking players who cut inside.

They used to be the attackers who played in between the centre forward and the wingers.

Here’s a couple of old formations from Wikipedia. What we call centre backs now used to be the full backs, and central midfielders or defensive midfielders were half backs.

• That's weird I always thought of LB & RB as full backs... 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    That's weird I always thought of LB & RB as full backs... 
    Read inverting the piramid and you will know why..... 
  • edited September 2021
    Scoham said:

Can we play this formation in our next game so we can at least try and outscore our opponent?

MacGillivray
    Lavelle - Famewo 
    Dobson - Arter - Clare
    Jaiyesimi - Leko - Stockley - Washington - Kirk
  • We'd probably aim punts in the air at the smallest forward on show.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Lee is a 10 
    There are two definitions for inside forwards. The modern meaning is that they’re wide attacking players who cut inside.

They used to be the attackers who played in between the centre forward and the wingers.

Here’s a couple of old formations from Wikipedia. What we call centre backs now used to be the full backs, and central midfielders or defensive midfielders were half backs.

Here's how they lined up in the old days.
    (This is from the match programme from my first ever Charlton game)
    The full backs would mark the oppo wingers.
    The Centre half would mark the oppo Centre forward.

I started watching Charlton  around January 1962, that team is exactly what I remember from that time.
    I've never forgotten their names.

What's the date of the game ??
  • Scoham said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Lee is a 10 

That was some team,some of the best players evrer to play for us.
  • Scoham said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Lee is a 10 

I started watching Charlton  around January 1962, that team is exactly what I remember from that time.

Haven't got the exact date to hand, but I can tell you it was Easter 1962 (April).
    The programme is in my loft, but I can check the exact date in Colin Cameron's book.
    I was 8 years old and taken by my Uncle John  (Harry Lennon's Granddad  ;) )
  • Scoham said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Lee is a 10 

Haven't got the exact date to hand, but I can tell you it was Easter 1962 (April).
    The programme is in my loft, but I can check the exact date in Colin Cameron's book.
    So what you’re saying is your uncle was John Lennon?
  • Scoham said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Lee is a 10 

Interesting that the opposition players only have their surname listed!
  • How the game unfolded and why you have to think on your feet when you are the main man in the dug out:

Nigel Adkins with his comments knows that he was slow to react with what was happening in the first half. There was an injury stoppage at 1-0 down and the team came over to the dug out for a drink. A senior player mentions we are being over ran in midfield; Nigel Adkins decides to wait to Half time to make the changes, or tweek the system by getting Kirk or DJ to support Watson and Morgan as they are being outnumbered and by passed.

Half time score 0-2 and a mountain to climb.

Correct decisions were made by Nigel Adkins at HT, with the introduction of Leko and later Washington.
    We win 2nd half 1-0 ! We get back to 1-2 with still plenty of time to go, but the stop start wasting time and too many mistakes and Stockley struggling against at least two markers and we are screwed with yet another inept performance at the Valley.

In Basket ball they have a time out, in football players go down with injuries or fake injuries to either stop the other teams momentum ( Pearce always when we are leading) like Cheltenham did to Cafc in the 2nd half or the stoppage in the first half when a certain Charlton player wanted to get a message across.

When Nigel Adkins said he needs time to reflect. I'm sure he will and his record in Football suggests he gets a lot of decisions right. but during the 90+ minutes of a game you have to be sharp and make quick decisions. Nigel most certainly wasn't at his best tactically in the 1st half Saturday. When a team unravel before your eyes you just can't wait to HT.

He should have attempted to change it after 10 mins, very poor imo.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Lee is a 10 

So what you’re saying is your uncle was John Lennon?
    Haha, correct!
    Sadly it was a very sore point with my uncle as from 1963 until the day he died nobody could resist making a joke. He became so sick of it.
    (Including for example the oncologist treating him for terminal cancer)
  • edited September 2021
    How the game unfolded and why you have to think on your feet when you are the main man in the dug out:

Nigel Adkins with his comments knows that he was slow to react with what was happening in the first half. There was an injury stoppage at 1-0 down and the team came over to the dug out for a drink. A senior player mentions we are being over ran in midfield; Nigel Adkins decides to wait to Half time to make the changes, or tweek the system by getting Kirk or DJ to support Watson and Morgan as they are being outnumbered and by passed.

Half time score 0-2 and a mountain to climb.

Correct decisions were made by Nigel Adkins at HT, with the introduction of Leko and later Washington.
    We win 2nd half 1-0 ! We get back to 1-2 with still plenty of time to go, but the stop start wasting time and too many mistakes and Stockley struggling against at least two markers and we are screwed with yet another inept performance at the Valley.

In Basket ball they have a time out, in football players go down with injuries or fake injuries to either stop the other teams momentum ( Pearce always when we are leading) like Cheltenham did to Cafc in the 2nd half or the stoppage in the first half when a certain Charlton player wanted to get a message across.

When Nigel Adkins said he needs time to reflect. I'm sure he will and his record in Football suggests he gets a lot of decisions right. but during the 90+ minutes of a game you have to be sharp and make quick decisions. Nigel most certainly wasn't at his best tactically in the 1st half Saturday. When a team unravel before your eyes you just can't wait to HT.

He should have attempted to change it after 10 mins, very poor imo.

It was one of the things I liked about Bowyer. He was adaptable and proactive in changing things before and during a match. Sometimes he probably changed things too often, but I had Adkins measured as not a tactically proactive manager when he settled for a point at home to Ipswich last season and didn't try to use his subs to win the match. It was obvious very early on Saturday that Plan A wasn't only not working well, it was failing dramatically and at least the shape needed to be changed early in the match, even if no subs were made immediately.
  • It will be very telling if Adkins persists with the same gameplan this weekend. If he names the same starting lineup ( or very similar ) in midfield he really will deserve the stick he will get if it produces the same performance as last week ( I'm sure it would ) dobson has been getting loads of stick but I dont get that tbh, if Arter cannot start then I would have dobson and clare all day over last week effort