Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread | Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | 11/09/21

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    If Stockley has 3 defenders containing him, you do need to ask who in the team is taking advantage of this. 3 players stopping 1 player should work to our advantage you would imagine even if they do succeed  in stopping him.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    If Stockley has 3 defenders containing him, you do need to ask who in the team is taking advantage of this. 3 players stopping 1 player should work to our advantage you would imagine even if they do succeed  in stopping him.
    Well it’s quite simple the two wide men should be looking for the ball as should the ‘number 10’ BUT the midfield/defenders have got to find them and there is the double/triple whammy 😏.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    Why did we re-sign Ben Watson again?
    I’m not sure that we did, think he might have had an option which he enforced 🤷‍♂️. Even so re-signing him is one thing picking him over other midfielders is another question mark over Adkins suitability for the job 😏.
    Clare injured
    Arter not fit
    Gilbey ill
    JFC perma knack

Dobson 

If he had pick the other fit midfielder instead he would have got pelters for that as well.  Watson shouldn't be anywhere near starting games but no one else, who was available, would be any better.

If Adkins decided Dobson, Clare and Morgan were good enough to be out first choice midfield he will, rightfully, end up paying for it with his job.  If he was told they were good enough and to get on with it I don't think you can blame him quite so much.

I don't think Kirk was his signing either. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    I’m not sure that we did, think he might have had an option which he enforced 🤷‍♂️. Even so re-signing him is one thing picking him over other midfielders is another question mark over Adkins suitability for the job 😏.
    Clare injured
    Arter not fit
    Gilbey ill
    JFC perma knack

Dobson 

If he had pick the other fit midfielder instead he would have got pelters for that as well.  Watson shouldn't be anywhere near starting games but no one else, who was available, would be any better.

If Adkins decided Dobson, Clare and Morgan were good enough to be out first choice midfield he will, rightfully, end up paying for it with his job.  If he was told they were good enough and to get on with it I don't think you can blame him quite so much.

Agreed but he was part of the selection process in signing those players so I don’t have any sympathy.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    Clare injured
    Arter not fit
    Gilbey ill
    JFC perma knack

Dobson 

Maybe those who select the new signings should be the first out of the door if it all goes the shape of a pear?
    Tough if you loose your job as a result of decisions you are not responsible for. 

• Options
    Roland couldn't be bothered to finance a squad to keep us in the Championship...

I would wait until we are actually in the Championship before comparing what RD did or didnt do compared to TS's tenure in the 2nd tier.

As I've said a few times on here in the summer.....and got castigated very loudly for it. At least RD didnt meddle in the transfers later on in his tenure as let Gallen & Bowyer bring in the players they needed - within a shitty budget I grant you. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing Dobson has shown is some energy and aggression, to be fair. 
    I seem to be in the minority of actually liking Dobson. He played well against Sheff W and we only conceded against Wigan after he went off. People who wanted him out the team got their wish and got Watson instead.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    Clare injured
    Arter not fit
    Gilbey ill
    JFC perma knack

Dobson 

Agreed but he was part of the selection process in signing those players so I don’t have any sympathy.
    Was he?  Every statement/interview about recruitment seems a contradiction of the previous one.  The statement Adkins made about telling Gallen to get the keeper and center forward right was quite telling in my mind. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    I’m not sure that we did, think he might have had an option which he enforced 🤷‍♂️.
    Don't think so, otherwise there wouldn't have been a negotiation. It would have automatically triggered, surely?
    I believe that it was his choice to trigger it and we tried hopefully successfully to negotiate down his salary if he wanted to stay. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedChaser said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    Clare injured
    Arter not fit
    Gilbey ill
    JFC perma knack

Dobson 

Was he?  Every statement/interview about recruitment seems a contradiction of the previous one.  The statement Adkins made about telling Gallen to get the keeper and center forward right was quite telling in my mind. 
    Well if he wasn’t somebody has been telling us porkies about the gang of four 🤔.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    I’m not sure that we did, think he might have had an option which he enforced 🤷‍♂️.
    Don't think so, otherwise there wouldn't have been a negotiation. It would have automatically triggered, surely?
    I believe that it was his choice to trigger it and we tried hopefully successfully to negotiate down his salary if he wanted to stay. 
    But it was reported by Gallen that it triggers after a certain number of games, not that it could be triggered by the player. 

And if he had triggered it, the wage would have been pre-agreed, so I don't know why he would sit down to negotiate it again.

It seems to me like we didn't trigger his extension and offered him a new contract because we wanted him to stay.
  • Options
    Roland couldn't be bothered to finance a squad to keep us in the Championship...

I would wait until we are actually in the Championship before comparing what RD did or didnt do compared to TS's tenure in the 2nd tier.

As I've said a few times on here in the summer.....and got castigated very loudly for it. At least RD didnt meddle in the transfers later on in his tenure as let Gallen & Bowyer bring in the players they needed - within a shitty budget I grant you. 

RD was still meddling in transfers right up until he left. All transfers in still had to be passed by Thomas Driesden, so in some cases we did not sign players that Bowyer, Jackson and Gallen wanted but we did not get them as Driesden said no (source Steve Gallen @Bromley Addicks)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedChaser said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    Clare injured
    Arter not fit
    Gilbey ill
    JFC perma knack

Dobson 

Well if he wasn’t somebody has been telling us porkies about the gang of four 🤔.
    I wouldn't got as far as porkies but every time one of them speaks about it it contradicts what has been said before. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    But it was reported by Gallen that it triggers after a certain number of games, not that it could be triggered by the player. 

And if he had triggered it, the wage would have been pre-agreed, so I don't know why he would sit down to negotiate it again.

It seems to me like we didn't trigger his extension and offered him a new contract because we wanted him to stay.
    It was triggered before Bowyer left. The interesting question is why the club didn’t announce it earlier.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:

It was triggered before Bowyer left. The interesting question is why the club didn’t announce it earlier.
    Because it was triggered, but hadn't been triggered.  If that makes sense. 

If he played x games he was entitled to another year he didn't have to enforce it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps the negotiation with Watson was to try and get out of the contract extension rather than in to it, or at least change the terms.
  • Options
    People keep swing Kirk & DJ are not wingers and its true … in the same way that Sterling & Salah aren’t wingers.

They are inside forwards and like Salah, perfect on paper for the role… which makes it even stranger why Akins can’t get a tune out of them.
  • Options
    Perhaps the negotiation with Watson was to try and get out of the contract extension rather than in to it, or at least change the terms.
    Is my assumption.
  • Options
    We desperately need Souare in to build some sort of relationship that brings the best out of Kirk.
    Leko to replace DJ on the other side.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Went there saturday expecting to see us win comfortably - first half was probably as bad as i have ever seen. Don't want to see Watson or Gunter in that team again unless its an absolute emergency. Jaysemi and Kirk need dropping - passengers, the pair of them. Leko and Washington need to start. I like Lee. Stockley needs a strike partner and i'd say that should be Leko. We need a plan b though coz when stockley gets bossed like he did saturday, he might as well be subbed off. For the occassional hollywood ball morgan does, there is so much else missing from his game, i'd be happy not to see him feature for a while. Hopefully Arter can start next game, possibly with Dobson. If Arter does the business, we might just be able to turn this crap around - if he is no use either then i think its game over for the season and a thorough inquest into our recruitment needs to be undertaken coz we can't repeat this again. I feel sorry for TS - he deserves better.       
    Hard to judge players until the tactics are sorted.
    Agree partly, but we can judge a lack of effort, a lack of doing the basics, like stopping a cross, or tracking a man... Stuff that a certain section of this group have been doing for two seasons or more now. 
    Exactly @Chunes. Was saying to my eldest in saturday, doesn't matter what formation you're playing or the tactics, if your players can't pass 5yrds to a team mate, track back, put a tackle in etc.

As Charlton fans we don't expect to play like Man City or Liverpool, but the bare minimum is putting a shift in and looking like you give a monkeys. That didn't happen 1st half, for whatever reason, so needs to be addressed. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Moving on from my points from 9.22am.

Listening to Jason Euell at the valley three years ago when sitting near the dug out at an U23 match was interesting. Shouting instructions which all made sense and giving encouragment. 

How much feed back during that inept 1st half did Jason and JJ give, especially when it was said by a player we need to make a tactical switch at the stoppage when having their drinks by the dug out ?

Not certain how the "dynamics" worked between Nigel, JJ and Jason, though Adkins as managers has the final say.
  • Options
    last night was an example of why man utd will never win the title or champ league with solskjar - they collapseda fter the sending off and it was screaming out for ronaldo to come off and put some legs on up top - they were just waiting to concede - awful management - how adkins let that first half go on on saturday is beyond me - how can you stand there and watch it? like southgate in the final - they would argue that you need to stay calm and carry on but not when it goes on for that long 
  • Options
    If Cheltenham in the first half had been killing us down our right hand side, i.e. in front of the West Stand rather than the Curbs, I wonder if Adkins might have taken action sooner, as it would have been more blatantly visible?