Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread | Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | 11/09/21

Comments

• Options
    Clarky said:
    Clarky said:
    All I read is.......

"it will be all ok when we sign some players"

then

"It will be all ok when Kirk starts"

then

"It will all be ok when we sign a decent midfield" 

then 

"It will all be ok when we sign a left back"

then

"It will all be ok when Arter starts"

And now its

"It will all be ok when Gilbey is back"

It's just so laughable.

I'm not going to hold my breath for the inevitable.......

" it will all be ok when JFC is fit"  

and the ever reliable

" it will all be ok once the winter transfer window shuts"

I won't waste my time picking this post apart but it would be nice to read some people getting behind the team.
    Funny thing is I got behind the team on Saturday. My post was more about the fans on here who keeping telling me that I need to be patient as everything will be fine......especially after I pointed out months ago that we weren't.

It just seems to take some people a bit longer I suppose.....but you'll get there.
    It is not about taking longer or getting there we are all in the same position as supporters. I have criticised the formation, tactics and NA and admit we are currently in a mess. I have also said we won't get automatic promotion. What I haven't seen and neither have you is us being able to put out a team where all are up to speed and we don't have to play a RB at LB. At present we have Purrington/Pape, Arter, Gilbey to come in and Leko to start. Lee has only played one full league game, Lavelle less and God knows when we will see Schwartz if ever. In addition Kirk, who has been poor needs an overlapping LB behind him and that could be Pape. Yes we are poor at the moment but if you include Innis, Saturdays team were missing 5 players (half an outfield team) who should be in the starting 11.I never mind admitting when I am wrong but with six games into a season and half a team missing now is not the time.
    And what have I been banging on about since late June........

That we were behind the 8 ball with our lack of signings. Its doesnt take a genius to work out that if you start a season with your only left back injured & a midfield consisting of just Morgan, Watson, Clare & Dobson then you'll be in trouble.

I take no pleasure out of saying I told you so. A lot on here didnt want to listen & said I should be patient. Well being patient meant that in the end 2 of the players we brought in aren't "match fit" and we are still playing a right back at left back 6 games in. 

As I've said many times, if this is what you get after having 3 months to prepare for a season good knows what happens when you are really up against it. 
    You’ve been right all along and I’ve liked and agreed with a lot of your posts over the summer because to the realists it’s all been too obvious.

I guess the eternal optimists have just needed an extra 3 months to catch up.I think we are all there now.

Its likely to be a long old Autumn while we wait for players to get fit and for Adkins to fall on his sword.
  • Options
    I would most certainly consider playing Davison instead of Stockley next game,not quite as effective in the air,but can hold the ball up,is very quick and mobile,and can shoot straight,also he will chase down defenders,forcing errors.Up front with Washington,Lee just behind,and find a place for Blackett Taylor who needs the opportunity to prove himself.
  • Options
    I would most certainly consider playing Davison instead of Stockley next game,not quite as effective in the air,but can hold the ball up,is very quick and mobile,and can shoot straight,also he will chase down defenders,forcing errors.Up front with Washington,Lee just behind,and find a place for Blackett Taylor who needs the opportunity to prove himself.
    You’d drop our top scorer and captain because he can’t ‘shoot straight’? Righto. 

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I actually think the squad looks ok now. Not perfect but ok. I didn't at the start of the season and for all of the pre-season and said as much. What we are doing is playing catch up and it is Adkins' job to catch up quickly or get out. That sounds harsh but I do hope he does sort it out and still believe he can. We are at a point where actions speak louder than words so I am not interested in what Adkins says but what he does.
  • Options

Now let's look at Curbs. What I feel was a great quality amongst many qualities was his ability, like Powell to see what needed doing and do it. So players were brought in that improved us season on season and he could be ruthless about it which is a sign of a winner IMO. It was a slower way of achieving success than Powell's but it was a more challenging one given that the target was the premier League.

91/92 - great success

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Valley11 said:
    You’d drop our top scorer and captain because he can’t ‘shoot straight’? Righto. 

Stockley’s fine when we’re on top, or at least not chasing the game, but he’s slightly one dimensional, so doesn’t provide options or the element of surprise (the sort that Taylor provided) if we’re struggling. 
    Yes, he’s the top scorer, but I suspect Davison (or Washington) would be if they’d played as many minutes as main striker. 
    The captaincy is a hindrance for a striker imho. I’d like to think a player like Lee or Arter should be able to grow into the captain’s role. 
    Having just watched the highlights it’s shocking how hopeless the wingers were, in particular defensively. They ambled back when Cheltenham had the ball. It was like they were trying to save energy or something. I was wondering if Adkins’ optimistic nature means he fills them with advice about their attacking role, and forgets to remind them of their defensive duties. 
    Jaiyesimi’s miscued shot was even worse watching it back. I really hope he can get his act together sharpish. Same with Kirk. Otherwise CBT might provide an alternative option.
    I mentioned on the starting 11 thread that I’d go with Washington and Leko up front, just to shake things up a bit, and to reduce the long ball temptation. Stockley would be a weapon from the bench. Sorry Stockly fans, but it might be worth trying , as whatever we’re doing right now isn’t working. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Stockley is being found out by the opposition,as was proved on saturday,he spent the entire game moaning about being fouled and pulled about(sometimes quite justifiably).He is at the moment the main and only focal point of our attack,we need variation which Stockley cannot give us.I am in no way calling for his permanant removal ,he is a very valuable player to us,but opposing teams need to have something else to think about other than nullifying one player.As for being captain,I dont think their is a choice,no real leaders in the squad .
  • Options
    I did feel like putting my head in hands when DJ blazed over the bar from what must have been 8 yards. Then Gunter did the same but he is a right back / left back / centre back.
  • Options
    It wasn't that he blazed over but that he took a shot when there was a pass and tap in clearly open.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I did feel like putting my head in hands when DJ blazed over the bar from what must have been 8 yards. Then Gunter did the same but he is a right back / left back / centre back.
    I did put my head in my hands,from that distance even at an angle,you have to make the keeper work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we should put Arter straight in next game, need a leader on the pitch and that isn't Jayden unfortunately. Washington has to start as well Lee, Leko and Soare. I'd also try Gunter at right back, Matthews looked lazy and disinterested saturday. Think Saturday's game was a chance for some of the players to prove they can be in our starting 11, and most failed.
  • Options
    Does anyone enjoy watching Stockley play? I can't say I do. 
  • Options
    I quite enjoy watching Stockley play! But when he's not isolated and just used as a lump up front. He has a lot to offer, in fact more than anybody else in our squad for me.
  • Options
    It wasn't that he blazed over but that he took a shot when there was a pass and tap in clearly open.
    Nobody in that fecking squad has any composure or technique when shooting at goal.
    The standard is appalling
    (I think Lee will be a notable exception once he gets his feet under the table)
    Curbs once said about Alan Shearer, the reason he is such a reliable goalscorer is because he's probably already done it "200 times a day in training".
    Do our players practice shooting at all.
    Judging by the lackadaisical half-baked efforts in the warm up I guess not.
    Christ, when I was in the school team the games master used to drum into us, if you don't feel confident just concentrate on your technique and hit it as hard as you can.
    It's shameful.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Nobody in that fecking squad has any composure or technique when shooting at goal.
    The standard is appalling
    (I think Lee will be a notable exception once he gets his feet under the table)
    Curbs once said about Alan Shearer, the reason he is such a reliable goalscorer is because he's probably already done it "200 times a day in training".
    Do our players practice shooting at all.
    Judging by the lackadaisical half-baked efforts in the warm up I guess not.
    Christ, when I was in the school team the games master used to drum into us, if you don't feel confident just concentrate on your technique and hit it as hard as you can.
    It's shameful.

Watch the shooting practice in the warm up - we miss the goal more times than  the keeper makes a save or we score. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Yes when he gets the service.  He isn't the most aesthetically pleasing footballer when he is stood 20 yards from his nearest team mate challenging for 20/80s against 3 opposition players. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Yes I do, but because of his presence I don't like the way we play!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    All my fears from pre season when I said two wingers out side Stockley will see us struggle big time have come to fruition.
    Even went out on a limb and said we wouldn't score from open play in August. 
    Pleased I was wrong when a poor Crewe team just stopped that from happening.

This was before Kirk signed but it was obvious that all the speculation pointed to more wingers being scouted. I love watching Wingers but if you play 2 it puts too much of a work load on your two Midfielders if they don't track back.

#Stockleyneedsapartner  was a genuine concern because where Chuks could play as the central striker in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3  Jayden will be exposed at times if the two wingers are having an off day and he is being double marked as on Saturday where he had his poorest game for us since he joined.

I thought Lee started well but unfortunately with DJ and Kirk poor and not putting in a shift, Morgan and Watson (walking) chasing shadows. We were exposed to a competent but bang average League 1 side to pass through us and round us and only Craig MacGillivray kept the score down.

Link up play and relationship all only the pitch and options when on the ball and players who can scan and have peripheral vision were always my aims as a coach and manager. At the professional level it should be mandatory. 

Ironically, Albie Morgan can scan the field and have peripheral vision But unfortunately on too many occasions his execution is poor and I have doubts about his mentality which is a shame because his fitness is excellent now. 

It's Nigel Adkins gig and he has too find a way to get the best out of our decent squad for a League 1 club. Arter, Gilbey, even steady Eddie Purrington may stop the rot but the first 45 minutes on Saturday were as poor as it can be.

Nigel is such a decent man I believe if after a dozen games, he felt the team didn't start to take shape he would work out an exit plan with Thomas and it would be amicable.

Hopefully the experienced Manager can correct the patently obvious faults from Saturday. Time will tell.

• Options
    I can see the logic of keeping a consistent team to avoid the downside of constant tinkering that upset things a year ago.  Players need match time to gel as well as doing it on the training ground.
    But those on the pitch need to play consistently against all oppositions and not just the Crewes of this league.
    Plenty of talent on the bench waiting for a chance prove themselves and no point in having them there if they are going to spend every match keeping it warm...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Problems were there in twos. Two centre halves who have never played together before, two full backs that rarely go over the half way line, two central midfielders who fail to either cover their defenders or get in the opposition box, and two wingers who lack pace and crossing ability.

Oh and a keeper that sometimes doesn't command his box and a captain/centre forward who teams have now worked out and could become a liability unless properly supported. NA and his management team now need to earn their keep.

They might start by re-watching the Crawley match. Against weaker opposition I know, but the team had balance, had two central midfielders working to supply a mobile front line, and a winger with real pace. Also more (good) crosses flew in during the first half than in all the 'first team' matches played this season.

The players are there, with more coming back from illness and injury (there is also a very good left back playing for our under 18s). Over to you NA and staff.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Watching this back it’s stop easy, could argue several players made a mistake. In the end it’s a lack of aggression and effort from the whole team, all far too soft.
  • Options
    Why did we re-sign Ben Watson again?
  • Options
    Chunes said:

To play with the u23's for in match coaching and guidance.

Hang on....
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Chunes said:
    I’m not sure that we did, think he might have had an option which he enforced 🤷‍♂️. Even so re-signing him is one thing picking him over other midfielders is another question mark over Adkins suitability for the job 😏.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    Clarky said:
    All I read is.......

"it will be all ok when we sign some players"

then

"It will be all ok when Kirk starts"

then

"It will all be ok when we sign a decent midfield" 

then 

"It will all be ok when we sign a left back"

then

"It will all be ok when Arter starts"

And now its

"It will all be ok when Gilbey is back"

It's just so laughable.

I'm not going to hold my breath for the inevitable.......

" it will all be ok when JFC is fit"  

and the ever reliable

" it will all be ok once the winter transfer window shuts"

I won't waste my time picking this post apart but it would be nice to read some people getting behind the team.
    Funny thing is I got behind the team on Saturday. My post was more about the fans on here who keeping telling me that I need to be patient as everything will be fine......especially after I pointed out months ago that we weren't.

It just seems to take some people a bit longer I suppose.....but you'll get there.
    It is not about taking longer or getting there we are all in the same position as supporters. I have criticised the formation, tactics and NA and admit we are currently in a mess. I have also said we won't get automatic promotion. What I haven't seen and neither have you is us being able to put out a team where all are up to speed and we don't have to play a RB at LB. At present we have Purrington/Pape, Arter, Gilbey to come in and Leko to start. Lee has only played one full league game, Lavelle less and God knows when we will see Schwartz if ever. In addition Kirk, who has been poor needs an overlapping LB behind him and that could be Pape. Yes we are poor at the moment but if you include Innis, Saturdays team were missing 5 players (half an outfield team) who should be in the starting 11.I never mind admitting when I am wrong but with six games into a season and half a team missing now is not the time.
    And what have I been banging on about since late June........

That we were behind the 8 ball with our lack of signings. Its doesnt take a genius to work out that if you start a season with your only left back injured & a midfield consisting of just Morgan, Watson, Clare & Dobson then you'll be in trouble.

I take no pleasure out of saying I told you so. A lot on here didnt want to listen & said I should be patient. Well being patient meant that in the end 2 of the players we brought in aren't "match fit" and we are still playing a right back at left back 6 games in. 

As I've said many times, if this is what you get after having 3 months to prepare for a season good knows what happens when you are really up against it. 
    I agree with you. The transfer strategy was flawed and we are playing catch-up. No excuses probably could have got Leko weeks ago.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    I’m not sure that we did, think he might have had an option which he enforced 🤷‍♂️.
    Don't think so, otherwise there wouldn't have been a negotiation. It would have automatically triggered, surely?
  • Options
    When curbs played 451 we had Darren Bent up top Stockley is never going to be like a Darren bent. He is a target man and Saturday he had 3 centre backs to contend with he might as well played centre back for us at least he might have helped us from conceding 2 goals because he didn’t have a chance up top on his own. Stockley has to have a partner or you might as well not play him. Same as Carlo or John Pearson his a 10 goals and plenty of assists target man. 
    I just can’t understand why Adkins has bought him if he wants to play a lone striker. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    I’m not sure that we did, think he might have had an option which he enforced 🤷‍♂️.
    Don't think so, otherwise there wouldn't have been a negotiation. It would have automatically triggered, surely?
    Maybe but see my edit why is the manager picking him notwithstanding he played ok v Crewe. Down to Adkins as I’ve said before don’t rate him, he’s yesterday’s man (Chris Andrews) 😉.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    Also, if it was his decision rather than ours he wouldn't be in the starting line-up every poxy week.