Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• se9addick said:
    I thought the booing at kick off from our fans was directed towards the Wednesday players for not taking the knee.

That was my hope too.
  • edited August 2021
    Really enjoyed yesterday and Considering going Oxford now. Seems a lifetime ago my last away day.
  • Ferryman said:
    From a football perspective Bannon's a class act worth the entrance fee  - I wish he played for us!

A shame we {probably}cannot afford his 20k'ish weekly salary.
  • Scoham said:

Doesnt seem to have brought any players?

Great bit of research!! 
    Well it's true. We've spent a little bit on Stockley & Clare but the rest were free transfers. We've hardly busted the bank to bring in players have  ?
  • edited August 2021
    Scoham said:

Great bit of research!! 
    Well it's true. We've spent a little bit on Stockley & Clare but the rest were free transfers. We've hardly busted the bank to bring in players have  ?
    What you think free transfers will simply command a contract then

What about signing on fees?

Even if we have only purchased Stockley / Clare, it still doesnt tie in with what he says

"Doesnt seem to have brought MANY players" should surely be the sentence?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Great bit of research!! 
    What you think free transfers will simply command a contract then

What about signing on fees?

Even if we have only purchased Stockley / Clare, it still doesnt tie in with what he says

"Doesnt seem to have brought MANY players" should surely be the sentence?
    *Bought nor brought 
  • I think we need to be playing 4-4-2 but we need at least one more capable striker if we are to compete for promotion. Washington can't play the left winger in a 4-3-3 either, so we need someone else. In the meantime I would play Clayden in a 4-4-2 with Conor alongside Jayden. That might have been enough yesterday.

Will be interesting to see what the formation and tactics are if Stocklely comes off/ is unavailable for selection.  Probably will revert to 4-4-2 with Washington and another striker up front.   

Rodders, I just can't work out why in League 1, we don't mainly play 4-4-2 ?  When Stockley scored his goal on the deck at the valley, Aneke was alongside him, and had the assist.
    Washington in League 1 can be a Goal every 3 game striker so way play him out left when he has to get on his right foot each time and the angle is so acute. 

I would love to hear an interview with Nigel where he is asked why he feels Jayden is a loan striker. You have to score more goals on the deck to play that position ?  because it's alien to me how we will ever score enough goals at home to win matches. 
    DJ showed yesterday he is an out and out winger which is fine but similar to Albie has no composure when the goal is in his sights.
    We all know what will happen in defence when Inniss has his mandatory muscle injuries which have dogged his career. 

My prediction is Morgan will start to score a few goals and be worth his place in the team.  Before the Shrewsbury game last season he had a run of games and was looking decent. Unfortunately he lost composure and lashed at the ball which ended up spinning back and Gunter then fouled and yet again we snatched a draw from the jaws of victory. This set Morgan back again as he returned to the bench.
    Albie is fitter than ever (had good chat with a Cafc coach I met at a game in the lower leagues) and should have a run of games and finally see if he can become a consistent player for Cafc. If he succeeds he will probably follow Alfie Doughty in moving on because that what's happens to successful young players at Cafc even if they have only shown good form for half a season. Still need to be convinced that has changed under Thomas Sandgaard  

Morgan and DJ should practice, practice, practice shooting under pressure including staying behind in the afternoon with Jason Euell who scored goals in the Premier.

Mastering nerves and staying calm can be taught, having the ability is the first place is the difficult part !

Absolutely, the lack of composure and technique is appalling.
    I remember Curbs berating our strikers during a barren spell and insisting they do extra shooting practice.
    He said, "the reason it seems to come so naturally for Shearer is because he's probably already scored 200 times a day in training"
  • Humble pie being eaten here after referring to Stockley in pre season as a donkey seems he is a little more like a thoroughbred, just needs to adjust his aim when heading in front of goal.
    It wasn't the best football I've seen by us in L1 but there are some good signs there, a number of times defence splitting passes by our midfielders were only inches astray, Morgan's corners are accurate, Stockley was a giant in defence and attack, if we can find a left sided attacker to match DJ and a central playmaker we should make top 6.

But please no more rock twanging guitar please.
  • Wont comment on game as everything covered,enjoyed the pre match presentations etc,great to be back,now the downside,what happened to no roadworks on the A2,took an absolute eternity to get home to Medway,road down to one lane,then diverted off at next junction,anyone else suffer.
  • Wont comment on game as everything covered,enjoyed the pre match presentations etc,great to be back,now the downside,what happened to no roadworks on the A2,took an absolute eternity to get home to Medway,road down to one lane,then diverted off at next junction,anyone else suffer.
    I managed to get back to the section between the M25 / Bluewater at 7:58, just as they were getting the cones ready - Looks like its a normal thing from them anyway at the moment, rather than having to endure the closure of the A2 at that junction for three days rather than just overnight as is what I had to deal with a few weeks back coming home from Bexleyheath.

Worth remembering for the evening games sadly.
  • Scoham said:

Great bit of research!! 
    Plus Thomas didn't promise European football in 5 years ......... the target was Premier League in 5 years.
    Is their a difference? Not to Liddle Rod (is that his anatomy?), there isn't.

Embarrasing articles written by embarrassing hacks, who can't even be arsed to check their facts.

• That is your view, and it would be fair enough if you decided not to support the gesture. Just don't boo it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    PWR.

Positives: We didn't lose and Curbs was deservedly and properly honoured in front of many of our past heroes before the game.

Negatives: Goals look as though they will be hard to come by for us this season. Thomas, on the evidence of abandoning Red, Red Robin, appears to have as much respect for the culture and history of our beloved Club as Roland Duchatelet  and Katrien Meire. Let's hope the Supporters' Trust or other influential supporters group can educate him in Charlton folklore. Still, as an Old Git, my thoughts probably don't count for anything in this Brave New World. 
  • Rossman92 said:
    Have never enjoyed an opening day less because of all the negativity surrounding literally everything. This site is becoming such a disappointment for me and that is heartbreaking 
    Was with my girlfriend at the game, after the game and up until now in fact when I'm finally logging in after an excellent Saturday watching our team play really pretty well under the guidance of a manager who knows what he's doing and no Charlton Life to bring my mood down, I can recommend it :) 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I know what the players are taking the knee for but I don't know what the fans protest is about unless they think racism should be ignored.
    Well, I said it before and I guess I shall reluctantly say it again.

I'm anti racism but I am also anti-BLM. I wouldn't boo because other people get the wrong idea but I would turn my back to the pitch in disapprovement.

Those who respect British history and heritage and really think about what BLM did would understand my stance.
    Patronising. 

Disagree, but if so I'm just mirroring the media's attitude.

BLM actions were never condemned enough, and support should have waned significantly, if not ceased, especially in football.

The 'Kick out racism' campaign is more pertinent to British football than copying a load of American eggchasers.
    Says the man who seems to have a very rose tinted view of British history.
  • One thing I did notice - IMO the home kit looked much nicer in a match than the pictures I had seen online.
    This... and I purchased on sight after not liking it. Missed a trick not having 3rd kit in the window imo. 
  • edited August 2021
    oh gawd our owners is a delusional drunk! 
  • One thing I did notice - IMO the home kit looked much nicer in a match than the pictures I had seen online.

I still won’t be buying it until MandM knock it out for a tenner.
  • edited August 2021
    RC_CAFC said:
    Davo55 said:
    Just watching the highlights demonstrates that we certainly created decent chances. Albie Morgan's first "miss" is forgivable. The ball came across at quite a pace and some way in front of him, so he was always stretching for it. The second miss, where he blazed it high and wide was dreadful. His shooting technique looks poor and he must have had plenty of practice/coaching so I suspect its a temperament thing; he lacks composure.
    I think Albie looked a step up from last season (has done all pre season). I believe if he keeps getting himself in those positions it will come. I think he is a little over emotional in shooting positions as he was properly beating himself up when he missed. I think once he gets one or two he will calm down. Was such an interesting battle between him and Bannan.

He can pass a ball with such composure, he just needs to calm himself and have that same composure in-front of goal. It will come.
    Totally agree. It's all about composure. He's doing everything else right.

The 2 chances he missed, the ball didn't just land at his feet ....... he was moving, anticipating and he got himself running into the box into those shooting positions. That's the key point. 

He didn't just do it once; he did it twice to miss his 2 big chances. He'll learn that he doesn't always have to blast his shot.
    With a bit of composure, he'll take a touch, wrongfoot the challenging defender and pass the ball into the net.

And passing is what his game is all about.

Watching the highlights through again ...... in the 2nd half when Stockley missed with a glancing header, perhaps he didn't know that Morgan was moving off ball towards the far post. It was a very good run by Morgan blindside - if Stockley hadn't made contact with that cross, Albie would surely have scored from 6 yards out.

If Albie keeps making those runs into the box, surely it's only a matter of time before he gets goals.

• edited August 2021
    The thing about Stockley's miss was that we all know he will score his fair share of those. With Albie, we don't. Nearly 60 games and he has scored one. If he keeps making the runs in the box he still needs to learn some composure and some players just don't have that. Maybe he can learn it but it certainly is more than possible he can't. Maybe he needs one to go in and his confidence will build.
  • JamesSeed said:
    I know what the players are taking the knee for but I don't know what the fans protest is about unless they think racism should be ignored.
    Well, I said it before and I guess I shall reluctantly say it again.

I'm anti racism but I am also anti-BLM. I wouldn't boo because other people get the wrong idea but I would turn my back to the pitch in disapprovement.

Those who respect British history and heritage and really think about what BLM did would understand my stance.
    Patronising. 

Disagree, but if so I'm just mirroring the media's attitude.

BLM actions were never condemned enough, and support should have waned significantly, if not ceased, especially in football.

The 'Kick out racism' campaign is more pertinent to British football than copying a load of American eggchasers.
    There’s a BLM thread. 
  • Queues to get a beer in north lower before game we’re unforgivable