Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• Not a classic to watch, but a solid start to the season - pretty clear that the defence is as strong as last year, if not stronger, and the midfield looked so much more full of energy, really looking forward to seeing how that develops. With those two bits in place it looks like we will be better able to impose ourselves on teams this year.
    We do rely on the three up front to do it on their own more than I would like, they did show glimpses but clearly we need another winger, which will add creativity and allow Washington and Stockley to rotate up front.
    We are close and seem to be heading in very much the right direction, so I am pleased to get out of a game against a Wednesday team which will be strong this year with a point 
  • Belv said:
    Not much to say other than Sheffield Wednesday’s free kick right at the very end where they rolled it across the half way line before the whistle blew for full time was so beautifully Charlton.
    Absolutely. Brainless decision. 
    At that point, with time already run out, the only thing any team should do is pump it straight in the box and see if you can get a miracle before the whistle goes.
    When he passed it square I thought “what a dunce - that’s the sort of thing we’d do”
  • Didn't think much of their keeper. Looked dodgy on crosses. 
  • Davo55 said:
    Just watching the highlights demonstrates that we certainly created decent chances. Albie Morgan's first "miss" is forgivable. The ball came across at quite a pace and some way in front of him, so he was always stretching for it. The second miss, where he blazed it high and wide was dreadful. His shooting technique looks poor and he must have had plenty of practice/coaching so I suspect its a temperament thing; he lacks composure.
    I think Albie looked a step up from last season (has done all pre season). I believe if he keeps getting himself in those positions it will come. I think he is a little over emotional in shooting positions as he was properly beating himself up when he missed. I think once he gets one or two he will calm down. Was such an interesting battle between him and Bannan.

He can pass a ball with such composure, he just needs to calm himself and have that same composure in-front of goal. It will come.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apart from the game. I'm glad to be back at The Valley. Glad the fans are back. Glad that I've got a club to come back to. Apart from booing the knee and the Addams Family song - the atmosphere was great! Overall, a good day. Sounds like I was a bit 'glad all over' . . . (oh dear me).
  • even game but what is it with managers putting players on for 2 minutes? ok, so clayden has his debut but we needed him on with 15 to go - it was important not to lose but it seemed such an obvious sub 
  • Can anyone shed any light on how their player got injured before being stretchered off? He must’ve taken a proper clattering from Stockley.
  • Can anyone shed any light on how their player got injured before being stretchered off? He must’ve taken a proper clattering from Stockley.
    Well I think you answered your own questions.

Yeah, probably.
  • edited August 2021
    Can we not turn this thread into another one about taking the knee and actually concentrate on the football….
    Totally agree. Take your comments on it over to the HOC thread. 
  • Was there a stand up for Seb Lewis chant around the 18th minute  , that’s what I think I heard and stood up for, don’t think there was anything on the big screen .
    Sky commentary said he was conscious.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we need to be playing 4-4-2 but we need at least one more capable striker if we are to compete for promotion. Washington can't play the left winger in a 4-3-3 either, so we need someone else. In the meantime I would play Clayden in a 4-4-2 with Conor alongside Jayden. That might have been enough yesterday.

Will be interesting to see what the formation and tactics are if Stocklely comes off/ is unavailable for selection.  Probably will revert to 4-4-2 with Washington and another striker up front.   
  • Not the best of games, but it was great to be home, great atmosphere and loved sebs song. 

We go again 
  • Was there a stand up for Seb Lewis chant around the 18th minute  , that’s what I think I heard and stood up for, don’t think there was anything on the big screen .
    Yeah there was 
  • It was great:
    To be back.
    To see fellow Charlton fans.
    To see the glory of the Beautiful Valley.
    To keep a clean sheet.
    To not lose.
    To get off the mark points wise.

It wasn’t great:
    To have no Red Red Robin.
    To see a poor game.
    To be two points behind target.

It was a good decision by Mr Adkins to make Stockley captain.
  • Interesting point on the fact that Thomas hasn’t invested on the squad and as been said on here earlier we are currently a weaker team than last year!
  • Morgan was poor imo and he should have 100% hit the target especially the second one. He needs to do so much better. Personally would have taken him off for Davison and let him chase flick on/Harry the defence etc. As they looked tired.

End of the day its a point against a recently relegated team and certainly a foundation to build on.

Onwards and upwards.

• From a football perspective Bannon's a class act worth the entrance fee  - I wish he played for us!