Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• Rothko said:
    Something happened at a Charlton game and people are commenting on it, even the pseudo Douglas Murray/Rod Liddel posts have a place, even if they are bed soiling bad.

yes there is a debate between anti racists and racists on the HoC about it there, but if it happens at a game, it has a place on the main pages and not hidden on the bit where difficult topics can be ignored.

'Everyone who disagrees with me is a racist'.

You really are a one-trick pony, and it's a pretty weak one.

Easier than thinking, though, isn't it?
    Oh I do plenty of thinking, but you’re doing your act of, anyone who disagrees with me and my cut and paste jobs is thick. Doing the intellectual racist stuff doesn’t work with me
  • What thinking was involved in your ridiculously crass sieg heil analogy out of interest?
  • I'm supportive of the new song before kick off. Red, Red Robin will be back someday im sure but for now Thomas pays the bills and a bit of Metal right before kick off is great fun. Certainly nothing worth getting upset about. 

Sadly felt those two missed shots by Morgan could be pivotal. Its time for him to step up as a starter and they weren't just missed shots ....he totally ballooned both in a game of few chances. 

Hopefully he gets a better return in the next few games before reinforcements arrive. 
  • Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Doesnt seem to have brought any players?

Great bit of research!! 
    That is a disgraceful piece of journalism... "I may be wrong about this" What, so you can't even be bothered to look up whether what you're writing is absolute bollocks? A quick bit of research on him (Wikipedia) has him down as a bit of a scumbag anyhow, cheated on his wife with a 22 Y/O whilst on his honeymoon 

https://www.formstack.com/forms/?1849577-xHOMNaVSET

^^ would encourage people complain about this article, I don't care much for unsubstantiated BS written about our club in such a disparaging, throw-away manner. Especially in a paper with such a large circulation.

• Well it is surely better to be a David Brent than a disgusting cheat. On his honeymoon? What a lowlife he must be.
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Something happened at a Charlton game and people are commenting on it, even the pseudo Douglas Murray/Rod Liddel posts have a place, even if they are bed soiling bad.

yes there is a debate between anti racists and racists on the HoC about it there, but if it happens at a game, it has a place on the main pages and not hidden on the bit where difficult topics can be ignored.

'Everyone who disagrees with me is a racist'.

You really are a one-trick pony, and it's a pretty weak one.

Easier than thinking, though, isn't it?
    Oh I do plenty of thinking, but you’re doing your act of, anyone who disagrees with me and my cut and paste jobs is thick. Doing the intellectual racist stuff doesn’t work with me
    'Cut and paste'; desperate.  Just because you may be incapable of putting together an argument and typing it out, don't tar those who can.

...and Muttley, it was about perception vs reality; but if you couldn't work that out from a clear analogy put as a counterpoint to your argument that personal perception = reality, then I'm wasting my time looking for intelligent discussion of issues.  I should have learned by now.

Anyway, I'll stop now because you've all won me over with your cogent, logical and reasonable arguments/s

• edited August 2021
    Understood.

Only uncritical support of unevidenced assertions and logical dead ends is acceptable;  become a true-believer....no thinking allowed, just submit.

Just of to drink some kool-aid....hmm....Ignorance is bliss!

Right, that Albie Morgan needs some shooting practice, doesn't he?
    Taking the knee in its current form was started by Colin Kaepernick. I’m sure you’re aware of that but regardless, here’s a bit of backstory on why and how it started:

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118/12170048/colin-kaepernick-how-taking-a-knee-started-after-nfl-quarterback-met-nate-boyer

Onto the “organisation” of Black Lives Matter…

Bad people and bad movements look to co-opt good gestures and good intentions all the time. It’s how they attempt to gain legitimacy. 

I personally believe that sportsmen and women around the world have done an EXCELLENT job of explaining why they are kneeling. And it has absolutely zero to do with the “organisation” you suggest. As with everything in life, there is balance and nuance here and I think it’s being missed by many different parties.

Why can those that oppose the knee not separate the bad from the good? What is stopping them?
  • edited August 2021
    Davo55 said:
    Just watching the highlights demonstrates that we certainly created decent chances. Albie Morgan's first "miss" is forgivable. The ball came across at quite a pace and some way in front of him, so he was always stretching for it. The second miss, where he blazed it high and wide was dreadful. His shooting technique looks poor and he must have had plenty of practice/coaching so I suspect its a temperament thing; he lacks composure.
    I do agree, I'm one of Morgans biggest fans, however I think he was shattered after about 65mins and the second chance was on about 75, I said at the time he should be off.
    I watched the pre match warm up and honestly he pinged everything in, looked really sharp, I said to my boy, he will score today just looked bang on it. 

The first chance should have been left to the play coming in behind it who would have snatched it.

I think he's just so desperate to prove hinslef it's crept into his game to snatch at things. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It has been in his game for a while sadly. Like you, I think it is in there but how do we get it out and how long do we wait. When I say we, I mean the club of course.
  • Yesterday might have shown the difference between JFC and Morgan in that role.

3 good chances all hoofed into the stands. (including the 1 free kick from a promising position). I mentioned his shooting practice in Welling and just trying to leather it, then getting angry shouting 'f%'k' to the heavens. Needs to focus and improve in this area in season as it hasn't happened off season. 
  • edited August 2021
    The problem is the more conscious of it you are the more pressure you put on yourself. Maybe he needs a bit of advice from the coaching staff. Euell and JJ ought to be able to help you would imagine. But the lingering issue could be that he is a misser. You will find them at all levels and some of them are pretty decent players. They just don't know how to score goals.  
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Have never enjoyed an opening day less because of all the negativity surrounding literally everything. This site is becoming such a disappointment for me and that is heartbreaking 
    The fact is we have arguably a weaker squad than last season. 
    Should have all your signings done before first game even if there a couple of weeks left in the window 
    No arguably about it, for a start we haven't replaced a 15 goal a season striker who could only play 30 mins a game. How we are expected to win promotion with less than what we had last year is beyond me. All this talk about more players to come I don't get it, if we had them lined up they would already be here. It is looking like TS has under estimated what is required to fund a promotion bid. I get that he stepped in when it seemed we were in danger of losing the club & has lodged funds to see us through the season & fair play for that but really I don't want to hear that we are going to blow away this league when it looks like he has no intention of funding a promotion bid.
    This guy?! 

I loved Chuks... 

He did well last season, especially given his minutes, but let's not rewrite his history in this league.

In fact in the last 9 seasons between L2 & The Championship, he's broken the 15 barrier twice, 18/19 & 20/21. Came close in 13/14.

But he wasn't converted to being a striker until recently.
    Not as true as we might have been led to believe.

This is only the games where it was recorded but the position he has played more than any other is CF.

If that website says it, it must be true. 

4 games as a CDM ffs.
  • The problem is the more conscious of it you are the more pressure you put on yourself. Maybe he needs a bit of advice from the coaching staff. Euell and JJ ought to be able to help you would imagine. But the lingering issue could be that he is a misser. You will find them at all levels and some of them are pretty decent players. They just don't know how to score goals.  
    Well if you tell yourself you are a "misser" you probably bloody well will be.
    When I was in junior school when Victoria was on the throne I was told to keep my head above the ball and strike it with my instep, which I learned to do with both feet.
    The goal is a pretty big bloody thing, get the ball on target and if you don't score you may yet get a rebound or deflection.
    Too many players seem to feel they have to hit the top corner , a difficult target which they invariably miss.
    England's greatest goalscorer Jimmy Greaves used to aim to pass the ball to the back of the net.
    Nothing fancy, no daydreaming of worldies and fancy celebrations, just fecking score.
    As for Albie - practice your technique, be in the moment when the chance comes and don't let your eyes glaze over.
    Once he scores one, more will come and you are no longer a "misser"
  • Dazzler21 said:
    It wasn't terrible. But a few of us can see the iceberg ahead if issues are not addressed. And why that may sound negative to some, we should all expect them to be addressed and our season may hinge on how well they are.  
    I think we can all see additions are required. But some of us choose not to panic yet.

Control the things within your control. We cannot control anything about the running of the club or this transfer window by being blindly faithful or depressingly negative. 

I expect signings and if we don't get the required number or quality when the window shuts then all the negativity and anger will make sense, but still won't change anything. 

You can choose to be upset and negative, balanced or wildly positive. I recommend the latter two for your mental health. 
    Indeed, clear to many that the (huge) loss, in succession, of Gallagher, Cullen and (dare his name be spoken) Taylor wrecked any chance of a big push upward, season past. Clearly, we need both midfielders and a striker with an aggressive mindset and track record of relentlessly driving into the box, fearless and focused on scoring. Full stop. Am hoping Steve Gallen has names in the frame. In short order. Needed.
  • edited August 2021
    The problem is the more conscious of it you are the more pressure you put on yourself. Maybe he needs a bit of advice from the coaching staff. Euell and JJ ought to be able to help you would imagine. But the lingering issue could be that he is a misser. You will find them at all levels and some of them are pretty decent players. They just don't know how to score goals.  
    When I was in junior school when Victoria was on the throne I was told to keep my head above the ball and strike it with my instep, which I learned to do with both feet.
    The goal is a pretty big bloody thing, get the ball on target and if you don't score you may yet get a rebound or deflection.
    Too many players seem to feel they have to hit the top corner , a difficult target which they invariably miss.
    England's greatest goalscorer Jimmy Greaves used to aim to pass the ball to the back of the net.
    Nothing fancy, no daydreaming of worldies and fancy celebrations, just fecking score.
    As for Albie - practice your technique, be in the moment when the chance comes and don't let your eyes glaze over.
    There are times when you need to place your shot and others when getting it on target is enough. First time shots are difficult for keepers because they need a split second to set. I don't know what Morgan is thinking, but for his second chance he should only have thought 'get it on target'. Maybe he did. A goal and it could all open up for him. This is his big chance.
  • The problem is the more conscious of it you are the more pressure you put on yourself. Maybe he needs a bit of advice from the coaching staff. Euell and JJ ought to be able to help you would imagine. But the lingering issue could be that he is a misser. You will find them at all levels and some of them are pretty decent players. They just don't know how to score goals.  
    There are times when you need to place your shot and others when getting it on target is enough. First time shots are difficult for keepers because they need a split second to set. I don't know what Morgan is thinking, but for his second chance he should only have thought 'get it on target'. Maybe he did. A goal and it could all open up for him. This is his big chance.
    Taking it around the player for the 2nd chance would have been my thought if running at speed as could have led to a textbook penalty, or just a strike past the goalie from 10 yards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Floyd and Harvey are a big improvement but I think the originals are better. Especially Floyd.
  • edited August 2021
    seth plum said:
    It was great:
    To be back.
    To see fellow Charlton fans.
    To see the glory of the Beautiful Valley.
    To keep a clean sheet.
    To not lose.
    To get off the mark points wise.

It wasn’t great:
    To have no Red Red Robin.
    To see a poor game.
    To be two points behind target.

It was a good decision by Mr Adkins to make Stockley captain.

Poetic, with Repetition for emphasis.
    Good twist in second stanza after positive  points in opening Gambit.

Disappointed with ending after a lively beginning and middle.

A non Rhyming couplet may have helped.

" Jayden, a golden leader, chosen by Nadkins,  leads us into battle against third tier foes."

A good attempt at free verse.
    B for effort young Plum after your recent exclusion.
  • Did anybody else forget that Andre Green was on the pitch until he got subbed?
  • Did anybody else forget that Andre Green was on the pitch until he got subbed?
    Nope as he managed to dive and buy some cheap free kicks. He really needs to add some presence to his game.
  • I don’t understand the narrative around Albie Morgan.

A lot of good things we did came through him, he played some great balls around the pitch, including an outstanding cross for Stockley to glance a free header wide in the first half. Without his ability to take the ball and switch play, we’d have spent most of the first half passing between Famewo and Gunter. 

He never stopped running and helping out defensively, as well as two great bits of movement with both of his chances. 

If he scores one of those chances, the conversation turns to how brilliant he his and what a player we have - because they went wide, he’s supposedly not good enough to start. 

He’s a young player with huge potential. The coaching staff have given him the number 10 and clearly back him to have a big season.
    Well partly it's because if you are given the number 10 then it does create a certain expectation of goals being part of your game. And in a system reliant on one outright centre forward, more goals are going to be needed from Morgan and others.

Plus it's not the first time either, he's been there or thereabouts regarding a breakthrough season for a while now. He's definitely got potential but he needs to push on and actually start being more consistent for his own sake and the team's.
  • I don’t understand the narrative around Albie Morgan.

A lot of good things we did came through him, he played some great balls around the pitch, including an outstanding cross for Stockley to glance a free header wide in the first half. Without his ability to take the ball and switch play, we’d have spent most of the first half passing between Famewo and Gunter. 

He never stopped running and helping out defensively, as well as two great bits of movement with both of his chances. 

If he scores one of those chances, the conversation turns to how brilliant he his and what a player we have - because they went wide, he’s supposedly not good enough to start. 

He’s a young player with huge potential. The coaching staff have given him the number 10 and clearly back him to have a big season.
    I wouldn't disagree with you mate, just focussing on one area that needs a big improvement, his shooting.
    Not just based on yesterdays game, it has been apparent before (and  Albie isn't alone).
    He has huge potential, but isn't the finished article.
    I expect he'll have a big part to play this season, but not necessarily be a first pick if for example Gilbey or JFC are available