Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• Any idea why the pitch was so bad yesterday? especially for first games of the season?
  • IR94 said:
    Any idea why the pitch was so bad yesterday? especially for first games of the season?
    Rain?
    The pigeons seemed to like it  ;)
  • Did anybody else forget that Andre Green was on the pitch until he got subbed?
    Yeah, the rest of the Sheff Weds team. They thought he was useless too.
  • thenewbie said:
    I don’t understand the narrative around Albie Morgan.

A lot of good things we did came through him, he played some great balls around the pitch, including an outstanding cross for Stockley to glance a free header wide in the first half. Without his ability to take the ball and switch play, we’d have spent most of the first half passing between Famewo and Gunter. 

He never stopped running and helping out defensively, as well as two great bits of movement with both of his chances. 

If he scores one of those chances, the conversation turns to how brilliant he his and what a player we have - because they went wide, he’s supposedly not good enough to start. 

He’s a young player with huge potential. The coaching staff have given him the number 10 and clearly back him to have a big season.
    Well partly it's because if you are given the number 10 then it does create a certain expectation of goals being part of your game. And in a system reliant on one outright centre forward, more goals are going to be needed from Morgan and others.

Plus it's not the first time either, he's been there or thereabouts regarding a breakthrough season for a while now. He's definitely got potential but he needs to push on and actually start being more consistent for his own sake and the team's.
    It’s literally the first game of the season. I can understand this conversation at January if he hasn’t cut it in the first half of the season, but surely not after the first game. 
  • He has played almost 60 games for us. I think a lot are not discounting him but are saying this is his time to shine.
  • One of them said:

"Thought we played relatively well against a top side in this division ....."

That's what other fans think of Charlton. :smile:

• IR94 said:
    Any idea why the pitch was so bad yesterday? especially for first games of the season?
    Somebody posted on here that they’d had a chat with Nathan head groundsman and he said he’d had problems with pitch but I can’t recall if any reasons were given.
  • I don’t understand the narrative around Albie Morgan.

A lot of good things we did came through him, he played some great balls around the pitch, including an outstanding cross for Stockley to glance a free header wide in the first half. Without his ability to take the ball and switch play, we’d have spent most of the first half passing between Famewo and Gunter. 

He never stopped running and helping out defensively, as well as two great bits of movement with both of his chances. 

If he scores one of those chances, the conversation turns to how brilliant he his and what a player we have - because they went wide, he’s supposedly not good enough to start. 

He’s a young player with huge potential. The coaching staff have given him the number 10 and clearly back him to have a big season.
    Personally I've never quite understood the hype around Morgan. All I've ever seen is an inconsistent decent passer of the ball. But, in fairness he has worked on his all round game and is becoming a much better all round CM. His inconsistency is a slight concern, but completely appreciate he is 21 so perhaps expectations were a bit high at first. 

What I don't see is a player capable of scoring 8-10 goals from CAM, not a chance. In a 433 formation, you need your attacking CM to chip in. For me, that looks more like Clare or Gilbey with Morgan a little deeper playing to his strengths, his ability on the ball. When we are controlling games, he should be a real asset and hopefully we've got two exciting, dangerous wingers who Morgan can look for. 

One issue for me is we are a CM short but I have no idea what type of midfielder it needs to be. Watson covers Dobson but I'd be concerned if Dobson was out, Watson simply cannot replace his energy. Gilbey and Clare look capable of playing slightly attacking, but neither out and out AM's. I'd probably be looking for a CM who is box to box capable of scoring a few, similar to Gallagher maybe. No idea who is out there on loan. 
  • thenewbie said:

Well partly it's because if you are given the number 10 then it does create a certain expectation of goals being part of your game. And in a system reliant on one outright centre forward, more goals are going to be needed from Morgan and others.

Plus it's not the first time either, he's been there or thereabouts regarding a breakthrough season for a while now. He's definitely got potential but he needs to push on and actually start being more consistent for his own sake and the team's.
    It’s literally the first game of the season. I can understand this conversation at January if he hasn’t cut it in the first half of the season, but surely not after the first game. 
    Because this is NOT about the one game yesterday, that's the point of it. He's been on the verge of properly breaking through for several seasons now but never seems to have really made any position his own. 

I don't have particularly strong feelings either way but if he doesn't do something to really cement himself now then he'll be back on the bench once Gilbert/JFC are fit again.

The no 10 is a big vote of confidence by the coaching staff and I hope he lives up to it.
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

Because this is NOT about the one game yesterday, that's the point of it. He's been on the verge of properly breaking through for several seasons now but never seems to have really made any position his own. 

I don't have particularly strong feelings either way but if he doesn't do something to really cement himself now then he'll be back on the bench once Gilbert/JFC are fit again.

The no 10 is a big vote of confidence by the coaching staff and I hope he lives up to it.
    Nothing wrong with a young player needing a few seasons to develop before they properly break through, he's only 21. Grant turned 21 soon after his breakthrough season started. Aribo became a regular starter when he was 22.

I agree he needs to improve to keep his place. More composure in front of goal is his obvious weakness. Showing consistency assuming he gets a run of games is another thing he needs to show.
  • Sponsored links:

• I get the impression that Morgan may come into his footballing self a little too late. A couple of cross pitch passes were fantastic but some of the basic stuff he failed to deliver. His head went down a couple of times infront of the covered end where as some young players we’ve had over the years would of taken in on the chin and shown nothing. The ability is there but I do wonder if he will discover it too late and end up being a good league 1/2 player.
  • I get the impression that Morgan may come into his footballing self a little too late. A couple of cross pitch passes were fantastic but some of the basic stuff he failed to deliver. His head went down a couple of times infront of the covered end where as some young players we’ve had over the years would of taken in on the chin and shown nothing. The ability is there but I do wonder if he will discover it too late and end up being a good league 1/2 player.
    I think us fans could help a bit, one of our own he's one of our own should catch on.

So many around me yesterday were shouting he's fucking useless and I could see his head dropped like you said.

And those people call themselves supporters. 

I don't get what they're thinking. Don't they understand they can destroy a young player?

I think us fans could help a bit, one of our own he's one of our own should catch on.
    So many around me yesterday were shouting he's fucking useless and I could see his head dropped like you said.
    His corners were very good and he got into good positions. 
    I really would like him to bang in a goal soon and get everyone behind him. I'd much rather my kids shout his name and get excited by him than another loan from Chelsea that dissappear.
    Albie Morgan he's one of our own.
    Never understood slagging your own players particularly not those giving their all.
    Cursing players has always happened but I didn't like it on the 1st game of the  season.  Give the lad a chance 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I know what the players are taking the knee for but I don't know what the fans protest is about unless they think racism should be ignored.
    Well, I said it before and I guess I shall reluctantly say it again.

I'm anti racism but I am also anti-BLM. I wouldn't boo because other people get the wrong idea but I would turn my back to the pitch in disapprovement.

Those who respect British history and heritage and really think about what BLM did would understand my stance.
    Patronising. 

Disagree, but if so I'm just mirroring the media's attitude.

BLM actions were never condemned enough, and support should have waned significantly, if not ceased, especially in football.

The 'Kick out racism' campaign is more pertinent to British football than copying a load of American eggchasers.
    A very good point JimmyMelrose. I think there is a sizeable number of fans and members of the public who want to express their support for all classes and cultural backgrounds at the game and in everyday life. While at the same time they want also to express their total opposition to the views and  aims of this very suspect BLM political outfit hell-bent on destroying any sense of a cohesive functioning  society. 

Perhaps people in the game with significant  influence could announce the TTK is ENTIRELY OPPOSED to the BLM political group and is FOR supporting all people of colour to receive dignity and respect in the game and wider society. 

That should then clear up any question marks over what exactly is being booed at the TTK gesture I would guess. 
  • Players average positions on Saturday.

Clare was deeper than I expected. The danger being that without attacking full backs you end up with a back 6
  • I personally think that the longer Taking The Knee continues the more impact it loses. That said if teams want to continue with it then fine and if they don’t, as Wednesday didn’t yesterday, then that’s fine too. I certainly disagreed with the booing yesterday which instead led me to clap those Taking The Knee.

As for the game, a very poor spectacle. We improved second half but didn’t do enough to win. Morgan should at least have got his efforts on target, Clare and Dobson, for their debuts, showed promise. MacGillivray made me have my heart in my mouth on a couple of occasions. Inniss and Famewo solid, Matthews and Gunter nothing more than ok, DJ played well but wasted a couple of opportunities to create something, Stockley was immense.

Am I the only one thinking Adkins was trying to make a point by not bringing on a sub earlier? Overall C+, must do much better.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    I know what the players are taking the knee for but I don't know what the fans protest is about unless they think racism should be ignored.
    Well, I said it before and I guess I shall reluctantly say it again.

I'm anti racism but I am also anti-BLM. I wouldn't boo because other people get the wrong idea but I would turn my back to the pitch in disapprovement.

Those who respect British history and heritage and really think about what BLM did would understand my stance.
    Patronising. 

Disagree, but if so I'm just mirroring the media's attitude.

BLM actions were never condemned enough, and support should have waned significantly, if not ceased, especially in football.

The 'Kick out racism' campaign is more pertinent to British football than copying a load of American eggchasers.
    A very good point JimmyMelrose. I think there is a sizeable number of fans and members of the public who want to express their support for all classes and cultural backgrounds at the game and in everyday life. While at the same time they want also to express their total opposition to the views and  aims of this very suspect BLM political outfit hell-bent on destroying any sense of a cohesive functioning  society. 

Perhaps people in the game with significant  influence could announce the TTK is ENTIRELY OPPOSED to the BLM political group and is FOR supporting all people of colour to receive dignity and respect in the game and wider society. 

That should then clear up any question marks over what exactly is being booed at the TTK gesture I would guess. 
    Hell bent? Of course they are. Why would they want a cohesive functioning society?
    There’s loads of stuff about Marxism and revolution here:

https://blacklivesmatter.com/news/
  • Morgan was poor imo and he should have 100% hit the target especially the second one. He needs to do so much better. Personally would have taken him off for Davison and let him chase flick on/Harry the defence etc. As they looked tired.

End of the day its a point against a recently relegated team and certainly a foundation to build on.

Onwards and upwards.

The first one came at him so quickly you can understand him missing, the second seeing it from behind the goal he missed the target by a mile & it was appalling. One goal in 50 games tells it's own story. 
  • It's taken a while to realise that the attempts at goal were exactly how Pratley would have dealt with the ball being presented in those areas. 

Time to leave it aside now and focus on the whole picture. 
  • edited August 2021
    arny23394 said:
    Breaking news:

Joe Bloggs is protesting being arrested at a football match for his purported new anti-racist gesture, which involves raising an arm in the air and chanting 'seig heil'.

He told the press 'I'm tired of having to explain time and time again why I am doing it - I am doing it to protest at racial inequality and anyone who objects to me doing it must be a racist'.

Perception is a subjective thing.  If you adopt the political mannerisms of a movement, then you claim to be shocked that people then perceive it as being associated with that movement, then you probably aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer or you are just possibly a big fan of magical thinking. 

Do you think that the many pictures of people taking the knee with BLM placards is just a co-incidence, or have they all been photoshopped or something?  The two are linked, whether you like it or not.

Maybe it might be better to adopt something without all the political baggage, such as the Kick it Out campaign?
    Cretin. 
    Worse than that.

Cretin who thinks he superior
  • Don't want to sound negative but that was a very poor game...if we are just going to rely on lumping towards stockley its going to be a tough season to watch ..

Jury's out on the keeper 
    Central defence ok
    Mathews has a mistake in him 
    Gunter ok under circumstances 
    Midfield looked ineffectual..
    Washington looked lost 
    Right wing needs an end product 

We do need added quality in midfield and attack for sure 
  • edited August 2021
    If we are going to use the tactic of lumping it forward, it might be worth bringing in another tall centre forward and going 4-4-2. At least as an option to change things. One thing I noticed was despite us having a fair few corners, Iniss didn't scare the life out of them as he did often last season. Maybe we were a big man short in there. For me this is League One so whatever way we get out of it is fine by me.