Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• Scoham said:

Doesnt seem to have brought any players?

Great bit of research!! 
    Well it's true. We've spent a little bit on Stockley & Clare but the rest were free transfers. We've hardly busted the bank to bring in players have  ?
    Whether you like it or not, we have spent money (transfer fee, signing on fee, agent fee, wages) on 5 incoming players this summer!
    But then every club does that.
    • Simonsen said:
      MacGillivray: 6 - Apart from the one cock-up, I thought he was very good off his line. 
      Matthews: 6 - Decent rugby tackle. Defended well enough. One pretty good 1st half cross.
      Inniss: 7 - Very steady. Showed an unexpected burst of pace to see one out 2nd half. 
      Famewo: 7 - Misjudged a few early on but grew really well into the game. Has got excellent strength and is good at getting a timely nudge into an opponent.

Referee: 6 - Was that not a pen 1st half, when their goalie flattened Stockley from a corner? 
      No. All 3 players arrived at the same time and the defender cleared. Keeper and Stockley just collided. Knocked the wind out of him, but no penalty was the right call.

Gotta take issue with you on this mate the ball had already gone when the the keeper took Stockley out. I’ve replayed it several times on Sky, definite penalty 😉.
  • Dazzler21 said:

The negativity on here by what felt like half of our posters took a bit of the shine off the occasion which was sad.
    Sorry, must remember to be thrilled with knocking diagonal balls to a big target man for the runners to blast the ball over the bar, showing no composure & not troubling their goalkeeper at all in over 100 mins of football.

My bad.
  • edited August 2021
    Floebot said:
    Queues to get a beer in north lower before game we’re unforgivable 
    I don’t get all this queuing issues fans had yesterday 🤷‍♂️. Is it because we don’t have a CEO overseeing match day operations or is Burger Boy still stealing a living? Whatever it is it needs sorting out!
  • SO THE FOOTBALL THEN

Clear from player marks that I'm a bigger fan of Clare than most. Maybe he's my 2021/22 project 
  • RedChaser said:
    • Simonsen said:
      MacGillivray: 6 - Apart from the one cock-up, I thought he was very good off his line. 
      Matthews: 6 - Decent rugby tackle. Defended well enough. One pretty good 1st half cross.
      Inniss: 7 - Very steady. Showed an unexpected burst of pace to see one out 2nd half. 
      Famewo: 7 - Misjudged a few early on but grew really well into the game. Has got excellent strength and is good at getting a timely nudge into an opponent.

Referee: 6 - Was that not a pen 1st half, when their goalie flattened Stockley from a corner? 
      No. All 3 players arrived at the same time and the defender cleared. Keeper and Stockley just collided. Knocked the wind out of him, but no penalty was the right call.

Gotta take issue with you on this mate the ball had already gone when the the keeper took Stockley out. I’ve replayed it several times on Sky, definite penalty 😉.
    Agree.  On the Quest highlights (sorry I can’t remember which match) the exact same thing happened. Keeper missed the criss and cleared out the attacker. Went to the video screen and the ref awarded the penalty. 
  • Pleased he's OK. Always a bit of a scare when these type of injuries happen. First game of the season too! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    SO THE FOOTBALL THEN

Clear from player marks that I'm a bigger fan of Clare than most. Maybe he's my 2021/22 project 
    Did your new girlfriend enjoy the match day experience mate? Cmon spill the beans 😉.
  • RedChaser said:
    Leuth said:
    SO THE FOOTBALL THEN

Did your new girlfriend enjoy the match day experience mate? Cmon spill the beans 😉.
    Yeah I'd say so! She's keen to return, and after a 0-0 with no shots on target for either side (that late nod forward for Wednesday doesn't count imo) that's a pretty good sign. Said Charlton were 'better than I expected', which says a lot for my expectation management tbh
  • Skim read most of the comments but it was a lot better than I expected it to be. In fairness, both teams were pony and a draw was just about a fair result. It’s starting to look like we have a spine. Can’t draw any conclusions on McGilvrey because he didn’t have anything to do but Innes and Akin were immense. Nothing was getting past them. Dobson was a solid defensive midfielder and Stockley won everything. If we play like that week in and week out, avoid injuries, we ain’t gonna concede too many. Think there’s a player in Sean Clare and DJ that we’re still to see. If we can get the ball wide and get some decent crosses in, I think there are goals in this team. We badly need a deeper squad that’ll come, I’m sure of it. Think we’ll be there or there snouts at the end of the season. Onwards …. COYR
  • Dazzler21 said:

The negativity on here by what felt like half of our posters took a bit of the shine off the occasion which was sad.
    Sorry, must remember to be thrilled with knocking diagonal balls to a big target man for the runners to blast the ball over the bar, showing no composure & not troubling their goalkeeper at all in over 100 mins of football.

My bad.
    Tbh nobody is questioning peoples opinions on the football, its everything else that's tiresome.
  • Not a great game but it was brilliant to be back at the valley. Imo the signs are there for a really good season. Midfield is so much better than last year with the addition of Dobson & Clare, I honestly can see us letting many goals in this season with that midfield covering our very good defence. A few additions and all will be well. Rumour in the box yesterday was Kirk is done but we all know things can change at the last minute. Apparently his agent is a bit of a twat and still hawking him around but hopefully will be sorted Monday
  • Leuth said:
    SO THE FOOTBALL THEN

Clare was pretty awful in the first half. Second half he was good.
  • Black Lives Matter literally just means what it says on the tin. 

Black Lives Matter (as much as every other life.)
  • Sponsored links:

• I know what the players are taking the knee for but I don't know what the fans protest is about unless they think racism should be ignored.
    Well, I said it before and I guess I shall reluctantly say it again.

I'm anti racism but I am also anti-BLM. I wouldn't boo because other people get the wrong idea but I would turn my back to the pitch in disapprovement.

Those who respect British history and heritage and really think about what BLM did would understand my stance.

But the political movement BLM has nothing to do with the players taking the knee. That is what these morons need to understand or accept that they will be called out as racists. I am not including you in that as you wouldn't boo. People are not saying the gesture should be supported by all, just not booed.
    This is beyond disingenuous.  The whole thing started when George Floyd was murdered, in solidarity with BLM.  Many clubs had, and indeed still have, BLM banners up at their grounds.  BLM was put onto the back of their shirts for gawds sake.  You can't just pull a blatant 'bait and switch' in order to supposedly win an argument, and what's more it looks like a desperate tactic that is required because you couldn't convince people with rationality and logic.  

'Why do footballers take the knee?

The gesture became associated with football in the UK when players and officials in the Premier League started to take the knee to highlight racial inequality within the game and to support the Black Lives Matter movement.'

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/what-does-taking-the-knee-mean-why-footballers-take-the-knee-origin-of-gesture-and-what-priti-patel-said-3307215

This is why I, like many others, dislike this political statement that is well past its sell by date and which achieves precisely nothing apart from making people feel morally superior and giving them the opportunity to advertise it publicly whilst condemning the supposed untermensch who do not comply with the fashionable groupthink and who can then be assigned all kinds of imagined malign motives for doing so.  This is the favourite game of some both here and elsewhere, but it does not stand up to any kind of critical analysis (which is old hat these days, it seems).

So taking the knee is, amongst other things, a statement of solidarity with BLM.  BLM's political aims, associations and actions are a matter of public record (although you might need to avoid certain media outlets who appear to refuse to publish anything which counteracts a certain narrative; e.g the murder of Sequoia Turner).  Now, some people who boo taking the knee may well be racists, but others, such as myself, abhor the dishonesty, almost North Korean levels of groupthink and forced conformity with public acts of performative virtue. It is almost cult-like and to be honest; it's a bit creepy and anyone calling for others to be punished for failing to comply with a particular clearly political standpoint might well feel more at home in Pyongyang than here, where, at least until recently, we embraced the concept of freedom of conscience.

I'm not a boo-er; more an eye-roller, but I support the right of others to do so, or not, or to make 'black power' salutes, or whatever because I am a true liberal by inclination and still think that the words (possibly misattributed) of Voltaire are the basis of a healthy, pluralistic society:

'I May Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It'

Just remember that this cuts all ways....

I just hope you’re able to reread this post in a couple of years and think “WTF was I on?”
  • Sad and ridiculous that a year after taking the knee started that people here still feel the need to state there against it on a post-match thread.
  • Something happened at a Charlton game and people are commenting on it, even the pseudo Douglas Murray/Rod Liddel posts have a place, even if they are bed soiling bad.

yes there is a debate between anti racists and racists on the HoC about it there, but if it happens at a game, it has a place on the main pages and not hidden on the bit where difficult topics can be ignored.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:

Doesnt seem to have brought any players?

Great bit of research!! 
    Well it's true. We've spent a little bit on Stockley & Clare but the rest were free transfers. We've hardly busted the bank to bring in players have  ?
    What you think free transfers will simply command a contract then

What about signing on fees?

Even if we have only purchased Stockley / Clare, it still doesnt tie in with what he says

"Doesnt seem to have brought MANY players" should surely be the sentence?
    *Bought nor brought 
    *not not nor
  • Breaking news:

Joe Bloggs is protesting being arrested at a football match for his purported new anti-racist gesture, which involves raising an arm in the air and chanting 'seig heil'.

He told the press 'I'm tired of having to explain time and time again why I am doing it - I am doing it to protest at racial inequality and anyone who objects to me doing it must be a racist'.

Perception is a subjective thing.  If you adopt the political mannerisms of a movement, then you claim to be shocked that people then perceive it as being associated with that movement, then you probably aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer or you are just possibly a big fan of magical thinking. 

Do you think that the many pictures of people taking the knee with BLM placards is just a co-incidence, or have they all been photoshopped or something?  The two are linked, whether you like it or not.

Maybe it might be better to adopt something without all the political baggage, such as the Kick it Out campaign?
  • Breaking news:

Joe Bloggs is protesting being arrested at a football match for his purported new anti-racist gesture, which involves raising an arm in the air and chanting 'seig heil'.

He told the press 'I'm tired of having to explain time and time again why I am doing it - I am doing it to protest at racial inequality and anyone who objects to me doing it must be a racist'.

Perception is a subjective thing.  If you adopt the political mannerisms of a movement, then you claim to be shocked that people then perceive it as being associated with that movement, then you probably aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer or you are just possibly a big fan of magical thinking. 

Do you think that the many pictures of people taking the knee with BLM placards is just a co-incidence, or have they all been photoshopped or something?  The two are linked, whether you like it or not.

Maybe it might be better to adopt something without all the political baggage, such as the Kick it Out campaign?
    Leave it be won't you.
  • Rothko said:
    Something happened at a Charlton game and people are commenting on it, even the pseudo Douglas Murray/Rod Liddel posts have a place, even if they are bed soiling bad.

yes there is a debate between anti racists and racists on the HoC about it there, but if it happens at a game, it has a place on the main pages and not hidden on the bit where difficult topics can be ignored.

'Everyone who disagrees with me is a racist'.

You really are a one-trick pony, and it's a pretty weak one.

Easier than thinking, though, isn't it?