Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• If we are going to use the tactic of lumping it forward, it might be worth bringing in another tall centre forward and going 4-4-2. At least as an option to change things. One thing I noticed was despite us having a fair few corners, Iniss didn't scare the life out of them as he did often last season. Maybe we were a big man short in there. For me this is League One so whatever way we get out of it is fine by me.
    He was up against a pretty good defence though, they may not have panicked much but I think he'll still be an intimidating prospect to most defences at this level - especially if he can get a few goals from set pieces early on.
  • edited August 2021
    I think that is potentially a massive weapon for us. He hasn't shrunk so it should still be a weapon to use. I'd like to have another big man in there though to seal the deal as it were.
  • Still feel that Inniss should go and stand at the far corner of the penalty area at times

Sheffield Wednesday's players were of similar height so didnt need to double mark him, but other teams will probably need two players on him - Thats two players you're straight away taking out of their defensive shape for the set piece as they cant be sure if he'll be involved or not so wont leave him unmarked.

• Interesting that the keeper of the weekend was Pompey's. Bass was already at the club

• Interesting that the keeper of the weekend was Pompey's. Bass was already at the club
    Bass was just at a lower pitch.

• Cant be very reassuring can it... Having a player called Leak in defence!!
  • If we are going to use the tactic of lumping it forward, it might be worth bringing in another tall centre forward and going 4-4-2. At least as an option to change things. One thing I noticed was despite us having a fair few corners, Iniss didn't scare the life out of them as he did often last season. Maybe we were a big man short in there. For me this is League One so whatever way we get out of it is fine by me.
    Inniss was marked by 2 defenders for corners in the second half. Hopefully every team doesn’t do that and he’ll get a few goals that way. 
    The Brewers wouldn't want a leak...all that beer everywhere
    Inniss was marked by 2 defenders for corners in the second half. Hopefully every team doesn’t do that and he’ll get a few goals that way. 
    If Inniss is marked by 2 defenders (obviously it'll be by 2 big defenders) ..... then we need to overload and exploit that elsewhere in the box at corners and set pieces.

• Sponsored links:

The Brewers wouldn't want a leak...all that beer everywhere
    Gone for a Burton ..... ?

• Sheff W have always been tough and lumpy at set pieces. We run the risk of micro analysing. 

At the end of the day, we were betterer than them and deserved the win, as will be the case every single game. 
  • edited August 2021
    The problem with two big men up front is the ball will be constantly in the air and with our erratic crossing it will be so frustrating.
    I would like the two up front option but prefer a mobile 5ft 11" who is decent in the air but can feed off Stockley and can finish on the deck. We are in League 1 but is 15 to 20 goals unreasonable if we have aspirations to be in the mix from a striker ? Stockley also around the 20 mark with a good service from his partner up front and quality ball from midfield and out wide.
    Washington was looking like that player before his injury in the first few minutes late on last season( Nigel's first match)

4-4-2 with the diamond midfield if Dobson is the defensive midfielder giving protection.
    As we all know, DJ and Morgan just have to contribute with goals as well as assists.
    Clare looks an upgrade on the aging Pratley or Watson from last season but the lack of one LB is poor with the season already started the lack of 2 LB looks like neglect.

Solid Job by Gunter out of position but you lose the overlap.

• ct_addick said:
    Everyone on here rates Morgan but I never have....no composure whatsoever....2 glaring chances executed with poor technique.....runs around like a chicken with no head...
    compare him to a proper #10 in Bannon ...we need an upgrade there
    Hear hear!  Spot-on.

• Headless chicken V Hairless head...have heard it all now!

• Signing 'YSIFS' to a side that has brought 3000 down for an 1730 kick off on sky was embarrassing. We would have struggled to reach 1000
    Football supporters singing embarrassing songs shock..........................been happening for years and won't stop now.
  • Thought our middle 3 were excellent. Really good balance of work rate, defensive awareness and creativity.

Don't really get some of the Albie bashing on here, creative players will always get some things wrong but he will be massive for us this season.

Gilbey also to come back and rotate into that midfield is a very good option.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like the tunnel vision from Sheffield Wednesday fans

It wasnt right but its worth pointing out that when Patterson was down, our fans were taunting their fans

When Jayden Stockley was down a few mins later he was getting direct chants of "w**ker, w**ker"

• Signing 'YSIFS' to a side that has brought 3000 down for an 1730 kick off on sky was embarrassing. We would have struggled to reach 1000
    Sung only by a handful of 16 year olds though.

The article mentions: "...... However as majority of supporters at The Valley watched on with worry".

That obviously implies the majority of Charlton fans as well.

• edited August 2021
    I have to agree, the timing of the chant was pretty poor. It was obvious that this was a serious injury
    Agreed. 
  • So, the Meire Derby was a Mare.

No excuse for professional clubs not doing their homework.
    Teams know that Inniss is a major threat from set pieces, so the block and another player marking him will be in operation. Same goes for Stockley. This does give  Famewo a chance to lose his marker.
    Delivery is paramount but we need a plan A,B and C  for set pieces. Inniss is still A !

Washington, when he was picking the ball on the left of the box will obviously attempt to get on his right, Sheff Wed knew this and kept getting blocks in. Millar despite being erratic could go inside or on the outside.

Millar will be another player that will be appreciated once he has now moved on.

DJ has ability but is the Quintessential winger where his brain and his feet are out of Sync at times.

Composure must be the buzz word and mantra with the boys in training. 
  • edited August 2021
    The problem is Famewo doesn't seem to have a real presence in the attacking sense. Aneke's strength helped as well, when he was on the pitch that is.
  • The problem is Famewo doesn't seem to have a real presence in the attacking sense. Aneke's strength helped as well, when he was on the pitch that is.
    Yeah, Famewo tends to be a bit static in the box when we have a corner.
    Needs to have a bit of movement, twist and turn to shake off his marker.

He's still a presence though ..... did you see at one corner (where Stockley was taken out late by their keeper after the ball was played), their defender number 2 was arms all over Famewo, then pulling his shirt and tried to bring him down - but Famewo was strong enough to stay on his feet.

If Famewo has that strength to shrug off that kind of challenge, then he should be moving to make himself more available at set pieces. He'll score goals if he does.

• edited August 2021
    Ultimately, this game largely reaffirmed my concerns about where goals are going to come from.

I think that Clare and Dobson are an energetic and net positive upgrade to Pratley and Watson, but are still feel like two CDMs and it generally produces fairly negative football. I think that if JFC/Gilbey were fit, I think they'd be coming in for one of them and/or Morgan. The dependency on the midfield to bring goals to the table is much higher than when we could throw Aneke on for 20-25 mins. All of them need to be able to take half chances in tight games like this.

I can see a lot of games going like this this season - scrappy, unexciting games with teams set up to not concede and keep it tight (even more so when we are seen as a "big" team). I'd love to see us play with a bit more freedom, but we're likely just going to grind out single goal victories all season to get in the mix. It's just the nature of this league and us working within the confines of the types of players we can currently attract to the club in addition to what we have. The defensive effort is apparent and remains a solid foundation, but I desperately want to see us be more clinical in front of goal, particularly when we are likely to not generate a huge amount of chances with the way we set out.
  • decent showing against capable if toothless opposition
    with the quality shown by Innis, Famewo, Clare & Dosbon through the middle I'm inclined to credit them with nullifying Wednesday's threat
    Captain Headmaster lead the line in imperious fashion and battered Wednesday's defenders 
    If DJ had delivered an on target final ball, things would have been different, good that he got in position and worked opportunities so often to attempt delivery, sadly execution was lacking - that''' come tho, he's a step up from the version last spring
    Similarly Morgan, most of what he did was very good, even a few OK corners but when the chances came to make the difference he lacked the composure/final bit of quality to convert
    Macgillivray didn't convince with aerial balls in but he ain't played with that back 4 for long at all; had literally one soft catch to make on a very gentle introduction to the Valley as our number 1.
    A couple of self-imposed scares with pissing around with the ball at the back but Wednesday offered virtually nothing - Game was practically a 90+ minute PSF - nobody stank or dropped major clangers
    Referee was bang down to the absence of standard acceptable to EFL - ignored relentless shirt pulling in the Wednesday box - a testament to the quality of the Hummel kit that Stockley's shirt wasn't in shreds by the end so much attention it got from massive cheating - ref booked shirt pulling outside the box without fail, and the sap missed a Wednesday handball first half.  This is going to remain an issue, fingers crossed it's just an irritation and doesn't change outcomes and points scored.
  • In so many games over the last few years there have been times when we’ve been overrun in midfield and we’ve struggled to get the ball back, even in games that we’ve won. I didn’t really get that feeling yesterday, despite Wednesday have a couple of decent spells. 
    That’s down to a combination of Adkins’ system, playing a slightly higher press, and the more athletic/energetic pairing of Clare and Dobson. Hopefully we’ll see Clare getting forward more as the season progresses, but it was good to see such solidity against a decent side.