Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

1111213141517»

Comments

• th0rryy said:
    Ultimately, this game largely reaffirmed my concerns about where goals are going to come from.

I think that Clare and Dobson are an energetic and net positive upgrade to Pratley and Watson, but are still feel like two CDMs and it generally produces fairly negative football.
    Maybe because while are set up in 4-3-3 formation when attacking, we revert to more like 4-2-3-1 when the opposition is pressuring or taking the game to us. Clare will obviously drop back alongside Dobson.

But we saw on Saturday, that Clare has the nous, ability and energy to break out and go box to box when opportunity arises.
    And then get back behind the ball out of possession.

It'll help keep us compact and hard to break down.

The team building is far from complete - there has to be new signings coming in to aid creativity and goal scoring.
    There just has to be.

• fair enough start to the season against one of the outfits really fancied for promotion .. much of the game play in a monsoon ..  defence looked very tight except for letting the wee pain in the arse through for what should have been the clincher .. attack looked a bit thin, we need a proper fox in the box to take advantage of Stockley's industrious lay offs and aerial ability .. midfield need to vastly improve their shooting .. I reckon we'll be better when Gilbey is fit at long last .. all in all a 7/10
  • How is Gilbey btw? Not heard anything for a while.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Now that’s all out the way, I’ll talk about the game. I will not be replying to anyone regarding these sections above.

In terms of the team, I thought we looked solid and 
    Great post. There are the usual divisions on this site with familiar names seemingly looking for a scrap unfortunately, so it’s good to hear a voice of reason. Not replying to provocation is the best policy. 
    DFTTs. 
    Same old trolls' lols. 

no mention of him on the o s that I can see ..  good news is, NO R I P lol  o:)
  • I'm happy that we look so solid defensively - we look a lot less likely to ship loads of goals. Will the centre backs stay fit?
    Is that funny?
  • I'm happy that we look so solid defensively - we look a lot less likely to ship loads of goals. Will the centre backs stay fit?

No.
  • edited August 2021
  • not counting on charlton make the signings we need, gilbey coming back from injury will be like a new signing.
  • Sponsored links:

Is that funny?
    No.
  • Apologies if I’ve missed this and it’s been mentioned already. Was Minto pitchside during the build up just a one-off for the Curbs celebration, or will he be talking in some form or another for all Saturday home games? Obviously, he’ll be doing Charlton TV for the midweek night games. 
    Couple of Wednesday fan's remarked to me after the game how solid we looked at the back and that we wouldn't be letting too many goals in. Also very impressed with Stockley; but then again, who isn't? Fitness is obviously a question but then all teams face similar problems.
  • Oggy Red said:
    not counting on charlton make the signings we need, gilbey coming back from injury will be like a new signing.
    I rate Gilbey. He brings good movement, a touch of flair and an eye for a goal to AM.
    I believe Adkins sees him as a good fit for his preferred system of playing.

If Gilbey can shake off his Covid setback soon, I'm sure he's an option who will make a positive contribution to the team.

Gilbey finished last season very strongly, with some good performances and of course several goals - and that was in a midfield with the likes of Watson and Pratley. Put him with Dobson and Clare and under Adkins I think you've got a midfield that could well be greater than the sum of its parts.

And then with JFC to return and Morgan to kick on we might even end up with a bit of depth.
  • arny23394 said:
    Breaking news:

Joe Bloggs is protesting being arrested at a football match for his purported new anti-racist gesture, which involves raising an arm in the air and chanting 'seig heil'.

He told the press 'I'm tired of having to explain time and time again why I am doing it - I am doing it to protest at racial inequality and anyone who objects to me doing it must be a racist'.

Perception is a subjective thing.  If you adopt the political mannerisms of a movement, then you claim to be shocked that people then perceive it as being associated with that movement, then you probably aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer or you are just possibly a big fan of magical thinking. 

Do you think that the many pictures of people taking the knee with BLM placards is just a co-incidence, or have they all been photoshopped or something?  The two are linked, whether you like it or not.

Maybe it might be better to adopt something without all the political baggage, such as the Kick it Out campaign?
    Cretin. 
    Worse than that.

Cretin who thinks he superior
    Sorry Henry, I forgot that that's YOUR job around these parts!

I apologise for treading on your toes ;)