Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• Ok, but that is what the theme is. If we are all agreeing that and some are worried we won't be and some are sure we will be. And some aren't sure one way or the other. Surely this is natural.
  • ct_addick said:
    Everyone on here rates Morgan but I never have....no composure whatsoever....2 glaring chances executed with poor technique.....runs around like a chicken with no head...
    compare him to a proper #10 in Bannon ...we need an upgrade there
    Totally agree
    People criticise him missing 2 chances but not our captain and motm missing the best chance of the match - created by Morgan’s pinpoint cross. 
  • I will say as my final thought that it could be viewed as a positive that Morgan got a couple of decent chances. If his finishing/composure does improve he could have an effective season. If.
  • I will say as my final thought that it could be viewed as a positive that Morgan got a couple of decent chances. If his finishing/composure does improve he could have an effective season. If.
    Yes, in the same way it COULD have been seen as a positive (by some) when Bonne was missing one on ones every match. At least he was on the pitch to miss them.

But lets be honest, none of Morgan's chances were exactly nailed on. Yes, he could've and should've done better with both, but they were no Barry "the Messiah - move over Lionel Messi" Bannon chances.
  • Bannon's chance was phenomenal to create but the finish was so uncomposed after so much quality.
  • I agree. My earlier point is about putting all of his chances together, including pre-season and noting how many he seems to miss. In one game, even Messi could miss them. He has played over 50 league games and scored one goal so there is an issue to be addressed. Let's hope he does or we are going to need somebody else in the role he was in today.
  • It’s a shame because he’s one of our own, but Albie Morgan just isn’t good enough to be a regular starter. If only JFC was available. We desperately need a creative midfielder who is also capable of taking good free-kicks and corners. 
    It wasn’t a great game, but it was great to be back, to meet my fellow CAST board members in person, and enjoy a few pints in The Pilot. COYR!!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Maybe Morgan needs a run of games in order to discover the form to become the regular starter we want him to be.

Who better than Nigel "Academy Transitioner" Adkins to get him to that point?
    It could happen. I'd play him on Tuesday as I think he really needs a goal and we can see what happens from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was really concerned we would be overrun.  I was reading what a solid team SW had, the players they had brought in, the champ quality players they still have.  We were better than them.  A solid start.

Now look forward to the people that thought we wouldn't be able to complete explain to us how we should have beaten them.
    A shot on target might be a start.
  • Only watched the first half as we went out with friends tonight. Not sure what the two new players are going to bring to the team if we are going to bang the ball straight over their heads aiming for Stockley.

We looked solid at the back but toothless tigers up front. To not have one attempt on target for the entire game speaks volumes, this should never happen home or away.

New bodies needed and creative ones hopefully.
  • I just want Albie to find his instep. That will make him a more complete player.

Apart from that, same old Charlton.
  • Rossman92 said:
    Have never enjoyed an opening day less because of all the negativity surrounding literally everything. This site is becoming such a disappointment for me and that is heartbreaking 
    Me and my son are on holiday with my mum and family this week so despite us desperately wanting to turn up on Sunday for the hols rather than Friday so we could be there for the first game for ages and with sandgaard there as well my mum would have killed me, we nearly took that chance but I bottled it.

Me, Roo and my sisters boyfriend watched the game on NowTV stream in the holiday house. The non-football family were asking ‘Why are you shouting at the screen?’, ‘What is the matter with the referee and why Roo (aged 11) are you swearing so much at him?’ ‘ it’s only a game, why do you care so much?’

Lots of people don’t get it, but we can’t wait until we are back to the valley. 

As thought we played well, had some decent chances we should have put away and Wednesday had basically fuck all until the last minutes.

Dirty side for me and the ref was shit. Deserved more than a draw but given how uncertain I was before kick off will take it, lots of other draws around this weekend.

I’m feeling very positive about the season and will be unless we get 4-5 more in before the close.

don’t get all the negative vibes and mostly ignore them. Keep the faith.

come on you addicks, come on you reds.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Maybe Morgan needs a run of games in order to discover the form to become the regular starter we want him to be.

I feel we've been saying this for a long time about Morgan though. He clearly has ability but more often that not doesn't show it enough. 
  • We deffo need some more attacking players, creativity asap
  • Liked our defence and our new Goalkeeper 
    who knows how to kick a ball and catch a ball unlike the previous two.
    if we had a proper striker today we would have won the game.
    Morgan missed to sitters and striker would have scored.
    4/5 more players in and a serious striker and we would be a very good side worthy of success 👍👍
  • Two solid but dour teams slugging it out. It was entertaining at times, but the atmosphere demanded better. Like everyone I was pleased with our defence. For me is wasn't just that we didn't concede; I liked the comfort on the ball at the back. We passed it around quite nicely there. It was when it came to midfield that things looked a little more disjointed. There were some flashes of brilliance from Jaiyesimi, but they were all about keeping the ball in difficult circumstances rather than threatening them; there was little attacking flair from anyone though I think Clair looks promising and the rest are alright. The whole team worked hard but with 15 mins to go half of them looked knackered, if we'd have had someone like Chuks to throw into the mix at that point it could have been a completely different story.  
  • colthe3rd said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I feel we've been saying this for a long time about Morgan though. He clearly has ability but more often that not doesn't show it enough. 
    But he has never been given that consistent run of games, it's no surprise we're still saying it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Just checked his stats - 14 league starts last season, 11 in 19/20 (at a higher level) and 6 in 18/19.

I get your point because he has to do enough to keep his place, but in his two full seasons he’s never had a long run in the side. No player can become more consistent if they’re only ever rotated.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Have never enjoyed an opening day less because of all the negativity surrounding literally everything. This site is becoming such a disappointment for me and that is heartbreaking 
    The fact is we have arguably a weaker squad than last season. 
    Should have all your signings done before first game even if there a couple of weeks left in the window 
    No arguably about it, for a start we haven't replaced a 15 goal a season striker who could only play 30 mins a game. How we are expected to win promotion with less than what we had last year is beyond me. All this talk about more players to come I don't get it, if we had them lined up they would already be here. It is looking like TS has under estimated what is required to fund a promotion bid. I get that he stepped in when it seemed we were in danger of losing the club & has lodged funds to see us through the season & fair play for that but really I don't want to hear that we are going to blow away this league when it looks like he has no intention of funding a promotion bid.
  • mart77 said:
    I thought the team grafted really well today and if Inniss and Stockley stay fit we’ll be in with a chance against most teams. We clearly need creativity and a CAM and LW are priorities in my opinion. I thought we’d lose so I was pleased with the point and think we’ll strengthen and improve in the coming weeks. I really like Dobson and think he’ll do plenty for us in coming games. Our midfield are very ‘samey’ but I think this will change when we get reinforcements and then NA will have options that were clearly lacking today. 

Our fans often talk about cringey things that have happened like the song and TS playing on the pitch but I thought the singing by many in the North Upper while Curbs was still speaking, while TS was still playing and NU sung a different song and worst of all singing while a Sheff Weds player was clearly seriously injured was far far poorer by our fans. That’s even ignoring the clowns who booed the knee!

Thought the Sheff Weds fans were very quiet which surprised me considering their numbers. 
    I sat in the North Upper for the first time ever & I couldn't hear anything over the tannoy. Much much worse than in the East. No idea if its always like that but couldnt hear TS, his guitar playing or even Curbs speaking. 

Sort it out !
  • Not a great game. Disappointed with the racists booing at the players taking the knee. It might be free speech but I'm never going to like hearing from them. 
    Thought Stockley was good, and the rest worked hard. Clare a bit anonymous at times but can clearly pick up a pass.  Dobson  was tenacious. Bit worried we're a bit obvious with the long balls to Stockley. 
    Cagey game. Hope we can build on that against teams who are less physical than the Massives. Thought there was a bit of Palace in disguise about them as they went down so easily but they look like they'll be more competitive than they deserve
  • edited August 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Rossman92 said:
    The fact is we have arguably a weaker squad than last season. 
    Should have all your signings done before first game even if there a couple of weeks left in the window 
    No arguably about it, for a start we haven't replaced a 15 goal a season striker who could only play 30 mins a game. How we are expected to win promotion with less than what we had last year is beyond me. All this talk about more players to come I don't get it, if we had them lined up they would already be here. It is looking like TS has under estimated what is required to fund a promotion bid. I get that he stepped in when it seemed we were in danger of losing the club & has lodged funds to see us through the season & fair play for that but really I don't want to hear that we are going to blow away this league when it looks like he has no intention of funding a promotion bid.
    This guy?! 

I loved Chuks... 

He did well last season, especially given his minutes, but let's not rewrite his history in this league.

In fact in the last 9 seasons between L2 & The Championship, he's broken the 15 barrier twice, 18/19 & 20/21. Came close in 13/14.

• edited August 2021
    0-0 was probably just about the right result on balance - Wednesday didn't bring much at all going forward and we didn't trouble the keeper with any of our half chances. Definitely there for the taking at times, but we didn't really have any players off the bench that were going to mix it up. Home form needs to be the rock on which we build, but didn't quite do enough. Just got to grind out those results in games like this - nothing special, just a 1-0 off that deflects off of someone's backside.

Happy with the new signings - our new keeper occasionally made me feel a little nervous, but I think he's still learning the defenders he's working with. Dobson feels like a Cullen-esque kind of player, so I REALLY like that and look forward to see more. Clare also showed some grit and the capacity to go forward. As for the others - disappointed in Albie not testing the goalkeeper with his chance later on. He's got to do better. DJ had glimpses, but not enough for me today - desperate for him to be a little more direct and send in more early balls to test defenders. Washington worked his socks off as ever. Stockley huge back to front and probably my MotM. Inniss steady and Famewo was solid (despite, again, worrying me that a mistake in possession when we are passing it out might happen).

Really hoping that we do get a few more deals through the door - they know what we need, but it's just agents and clubs asking silly money because they know what we can spend. Everyone is just kicking the can down the road to squeeze us for a few more pennies. I'll be patient and trust in the staff to do the business, and as others have said, the spine of a team is definitely here. It's just those final few pieces that we need to push on.

Happy Floyd and Harvey are back. Felt very odd with no Red, Red Robin - no likey on that one. Glad Curbs had a good day too. Totally deserved.