Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• I don't know why people keep pointing out we need reinforcements like literally everyone on this board doesn't also think that. There's not a divide between those who think that and those who are happy for 17 year old Deji to be on the bench every week. The reinforcements will be finalised late as promised. Until then we know we're short. Probably better of focusing on the players who actually play for us until then
  • Not sure if said already, but Stockley won every single header in our own box. And the majority in the offensive box (whether effective or not). Really useful player beyond his role as a striker! 
    He did some great work defensively, indeed the ball seemed magnetically attracted to his head at set pieces

Perhaps play him in defence then.....because last time I looked he is supposed to be up the other end SCORING. 
  • All kicked off as around Busby's Way with loads of cops, meat wagon etc. No idea why
  • I avoided the result and waited patiently through EFL on Quest for our match to come on.

WTF?
  • Don’t know how anyone can be happy with ZERO shots on target at home ! Need attacking reinforcements ASAP
  • Off_it said:
    Might have had a penalty when their goalie took out Stockley . It seemed pretty blatant to me but not a peep from the Sky commentator.
    I'm glad someone has finally mentioned this because I said exactly that at the time. 

The keeper came for the cross, Stockley jumps, the defender got there before the two of them and headed it for a corner and then the keeper absolutely flies into Stockley taking him out and getting absolutely nowhere near the ball.

Any other player does that anywhere else on the pitch and it's a blatant foul for a very late challenge.

But not a peep from Sky, or anyone else on here.

I was beginning to think I'd imagined it.
    Not true, the commentators did mention it and how goalkeepers get a lot of protection had it been the other way round. 
  • Yeah but the commentators didn't see to think it was a foul on Stockley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Golfie was telling us after 45 mins we're getting relegated... If that's not panic, I don't know what is.
    To be fair though, that's his default position every season. You can set you seasonal watch by him.

Same way as you know it's almost kick off time on a matchday because he pops up with his cloak and scythe, yet is always absent from post-match threads whenever we win (and we DO win some games!)

It's just the way things are. Embrace it. Or go mad.
    I think you find I post in all weathers. I never shy away from posting when we win. It's just that it's probably more pronounced when we lose as that is more common. 

I cant help posting what I see. Many have said the same on here tonight. Our squad is seriously under cooked & even though we still have 3 weeks of the transfer window left it is all a bit late. 

And I dont see just the 1 sub today being a gesture to TS from NA. That is not his style. He has already said he's happy to use the U23's this season & I'm totally expecting that to be the case. I am expecting a few more signings before the end of August but I'm not expecting quality like Gallagher or Cullen......just fillers to pad out the squad. 
  • Off_it said:
    Might have had a penalty when their goalie took out Stockley . It seemed pretty blatant to me but not a peep from the Sky commentator.
    I'm glad someone has finally mentioned this because I said exactly that at the time. 

The keeper came for the cross, Stockley jumps, the defender got there before the two of them and headed it for a corner and then the keeper absolutely flies into Stockley taking him out and getting absolutely nowhere near the ball.

Any other player does that anywhere else on the pitch and it's a blatant foul for a very late challenge.

Not true, the commentators did mention it and how goalkeepers get a lot of protection had it been the other way round. 
    The co-commentator mentioned protection for goalkeepers, but at no point did they say, "Hmm, maybe a penalty there?" or anything remotely similar. Don't think they even showed it again or mentioned it at half time. Although bearing in mind all of the action in the first half they had to cram into their analysis I guess that's understandable.
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

The co-commentator mentioned protection for goalkeepers, but at no point did they say, "Hmm, maybe a penalty there?" or anything remotely similar. Don't think they even showed it again or mentioned it at half time. Although bearing in mind all of the action in the first half they had to cram into their analysis I guess that's understandable.
    No admittedly they didn't say anything at half time and neither commentator really pushed the incident, but they did touch on it possibly being a foul. Although just mentioning it for 5 seconds is a bit bizarre, especially when Stockley is laying on the floor and the game was stopped. 
  • Scoham said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Maybe Morgan needs a run of games in order to discover the form to become the regular starter we want him to be.

Who better than Nigel "Academy Transitioner" Adkins to get him to that point?
    I feel we've been saying this for a long time about Morgan though. He clearly has ability but more often that not doesn't show it enough. 
    Just checked his stats - 14 league starts last season, 11 in 19/20 (at a higher level) and 6 in 18/19.

I get your point because he has to do enough to keep his place, but in his two full seasons he’s never had a long run in the side. No player can become more consistent if they’re only ever rotated.
    Agree it's a chicken and egg argument, is he not living up to his potential because he's not starting enough or is he not playing enough because he's actually not good enough to keep his place. I think we can all agree the early part of this season is his big chance, until Gilbey comes back and any other new recruits come in he absolutely has to take this opportunity.

Like I said before I really do want him to do well but I just continually keep being underwhelmed by him (especially when he starts, I feel his better performances have been from the bench) and I do wonder how much of him being "one of our own" clouds the situation somewhat. 
  • ct_addick said:
    Don’t know how anyone can be happy with ZERO shots on target at home ! Need attacking reinforcements ASAP
    Patience is a virtue my son. They will come......maybe not in this transfer window but probably in late January. Or next July. 

• colthe3rd said:
    Terrible game but it was great to be back. 

Defensively solid, not a lot to complain about apart from the gift to Bannan. Clare I was impressed with, Dobson less so but very early days for both. Morgan, admittedly I've never been his biggest fan but I really do not see what has suddenly made him a no 10 in anyone's eyes, honestly hope I'm wrong about him but I just don't see it.

The fact we had so little to offer from the bench speaks volumes. A lot more work to be done between now and the end of the month.
    Well he's definitely not the answer but as Golfie said & got slagged off for, we're trying to do things on the cheap.
  • mart77 said:
    I thought the team grafted really well today and if Inniss and Stockley stay fit we’ll be in with a chance against most teams. We clearly need creativity and a CAM and LW are priorities in my opinion. I thought we’d lose so I was pleased with the point and think we’ll strengthen and improve in the coming weeks. I really like Dobson and think he’ll do plenty for us in coming games. Our midfield are very ‘samey’ but I think this will change when we get reinforcements and then NA will have options that were clearly lacking today. 

Our fans often talk about cringey things that have happened like the song and TS playing on the pitch but I thought the singing by many in the North Upper while Curbs was still speaking, while TS was still playing and NU sung a different song and worst of all singing while a Sheff Weds player was clearly seriously injured was far far poorer by our fans. That’s even ignoring the clowns who booed the knee!

Thought the Sheff Weds fans were very quiet which surprised me considering their numbers. 
    Covered End.
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    Firstly a tough first fixture of season playing a Championship side. They couldn't beat us. Early days of course but once again our defence looks more than capable of dealing with all this level throws at it. 

And so to the predictable aspect. Ineffectual midfield and nothing up front. Let us hope that more is to come from them. My prediction at the beginning was Bonne and Piggott will bang them in for Town and we would really struggle to find goals. Maybe this one result will tell us all we need to know about the season ahead. 

Hoping for 4 more additions 
    Yep, this one single result with an incomplete team playing its first competitive fixture will definitely be very informative about the entire season. For sure. Definitely. Yes.

Or maybe that's bollocks. 
    The one result meaning ... At the end of the season we may see we have let in few goals and not scored enough. Or perhaps you disagree and instead think we will let in heaps and score bundles? 

See you in May. Someone is going to eat their words! 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Jesus Christ. I am only on page 3, but what a miserable bunch of responses. The quality of the game was A LOT better than people are giving it credit for. 

It’s so many players first games and they battled SO hard and I really enjoyed the whole day. 

Stockley was absolutely immense. Must have won 7/8/9 massive headers in our box.

We obviously need more bodies through the door. But Wednesday are a good team with possibly the best midfielder in the league and we played so well to keep them quiet.

I had a bloody brilliant time being back at the valley and watching a really competitive, full blooded game of football and I can’t wait for Oxford.
    We only had 3 debuts today amongst the starters, one of them the keeper, and they have had a long time to work together in pre season
  • I'm glad we didn't lose and I'm glad that prick Bannan didn't score.

Poor game to watch for the neutral, I noticed the Wednesday players didn't kneel before the game unless I was seeing things and I haven't read all the posts to check if anyone else noticed that 

Hard to take much, first half was very very scrappy and bitty, we looked OK defensively the midfield needs time to knit together. I also think Adkins was more concerned with not losing rather than chasing the game with a side I dont think were capable of going up a gear today.

Stockley though, a proper captains performance. Ran himself into the ground and is a centre halves worst nightmare aerially 

Think we needed a change a bit earlier, not to chase the win but to preserve some legs as the midfield and Stockley really put a physical shift in today for little reward 

Next game can't come soon enough nor can a few more playing staff to give options 
  • I’m actually gonna start vlogging Charlton games, I need a new hobby and it’s something I’ve always wanted to do. As always though I’ll share my thoughts on here on a game I’ve seen in the flesh.

two solid teams share the spoils in a nervy opener, that’s how I’ve seen it. I don’t wanna talk about him too much but saying Bannan didn’t play well is bonkers. Best player on the pitch comfortably, some of his passing and touching was unreal, would love to have a player of that quality in our side.

as for our bunch. New goalie makes me nervous a bit, didn’t claim as comfortably as Amos and a few mix ups with the defense, hopefully they sort it. Matthews fairly solid, few mistakes, Gunter was solid out of position but clearly just doesn’t offer enough. Innis is a fine player, nailed on to get our most bookings though. Akin really grew into the game in the second half i thought, was carrying the ball forwards far better than our midfielders who tbh did panic at times.

I didn’t really notice Clare much, seemed ok, there’s a player there. Dobson puts himself which I like but some of his short passing is shoddy, Albie has a lot of potential but same old, just doesn’t have that finishing touch, we need to just persist with him till it clicks. 

The front 3. I like Washington but he’s no winger, so predictable, no service to Stockley. DJ looked very promising in spells but also ran into falls, right foot absolutely non existent. Stockley seems isolated to me, he’s doing well to knock it down but he needs someone to run onto it, for someone so good with his head it’s criminal we didn’t get him many clear cut chances from a cross.

ultimately the issue is we have no magic man in midfield to play it quick to our attacking outlets (like Bannan) and we have a target man who gets no service. The formation doesn’t suit us. When Gilbey is back, assuming we don’t sign anyone we would be better off dropping Washington for him and playing DJ up top with Stockley.

Overall an enjoyable game and we will take the point 
  • Was able to see a delayed replay of the game.

I will probably only manage to see one or two games this season..., …, and that was one of them.

So absolutely gutted.

It was one of the poorest games of football i have ever seen. 

I perversely wanted to see Bannan finish that run of his - just to get my blood rising.

Still, Defence looks very promising and attacking reinforcements sound like they are just around the corner.

Any news on the injury to their fella?

• edited August 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Have never enjoyed an opening day less because of all the negativity surrounding literally everything. This site is becoming such a disappointment for me and that is heartbreaking 
    The fact is we have arguably a weaker squad than last season. 
    Should have all your signings done before first game even if there a couple of weeks left in the window 
    No arguably about it, for a start we haven't replaced a 15 goal a season striker who could only play 30 mins a game. How we are expected to win promotion with less than what we had last year is beyond me. All this talk about more players to come I don't get it, if we had them lined up they would already be here. It is looking like TS has under estimated what is required to fund a promotion bid. I get that he stepped in when it seemed we were in danger of losing the club & has lodged funds to see us through the season & fair play for that but really I don't want to hear that we are going to blow away this league when it looks like he has no intention of funding a promotion bid.
    This guy?! 

I loved Chuks... 

He did well last season, especially given his minutes, but let's not rewrite his history in this league.

In fact in the last 9 seasons between L2 & The Championship, he's broken the 15 barrier twice, 18/19 & 20/21. Came close in 13/14.

But he wasn't converted to being a striker until recently.
  • mart77 said:

Thought the Sheff Weds fans were very quiet which surprised me considering their numbers. 
    I was just the other side of directors box and nearer the Wednesday fans and obviously with the much louder acoustics in the Jimmy Seed Stand they sounded more than impressive when they sung and seemed a lot louder than us