Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• A draw pleases everyone.

Moaners can moan we would have won if we'd have more players.

Realists can say we held our own with a top team and will only get better when we sign a few more.

Last season Aneke comes on and we win that.

Last season we don't have Innis and Famewo most of the time and now Dobson and Clare and we lose.

Thought it was an enjoyable day if not a great game.

Place was rocking and the roof would have come off if Albie takes his chances.

Stockley should have scored from the early free kick.

Neither keeper had a real save to make.

There is a team there. Need to build a squad around it.

Great to see the old stars turn up for Curbs.

Also I'm awaiting my royalties as my VFR lyrics were used.

Drop Addicks for Victory, bring back the Red, Red, Robin

Spot on 👍🏼👍🏼

Solid team, but absolutely nothing from the bench to make an impact. 

Need some pace up front to balance Stockleys role. 

• ct_addick said:
    Everyone on here rates Morgan but I never have....no composure whatsoever....2 glaring chances executed with poor technique.....runs around like a chicken with no head...
    compare him to a proper #10 in Bannon ...we need an upgrade there
    Totally agree
  • No-one has any idea what will happen this season but some are so keen to write off any possibility of success I wonder wtf you actually want.  Just an opportunity to express your own misery.  We got a point against a team that apparently has championship quality and that brought in a lot of players.  

I think I need a little break.
    Spot on mate. Can't believe what I'm ready on here.

Actually, I can believe it. It's all so crushingly predictable.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Stockley our motm by a country mile - the rest was solid but need more attacking threat and quality on the ball in midfield but we knew that - a playmaker, a winger, a striker and a left back all better than we have and we could be onto something - good day at the valley, we know we need to do more business and i'm sure it will all be in place once the loans are done 
    I thought Washington also worked his sock off.
  • mart77 said:
    I thought the team grafted really well today and if Inniss and Stockley stay fit we’ll be in with a chance against most teams. We clearly need creativity and a CAM and LW are priorities in my opinion. I thought we’d lose so I was pleased with the point and think we’ll strengthen and improve in the coming weeks. I really like Dobson and think he’ll do plenty for us in coming games. Our midfield are very ‘samey’ but I think this will change when we get reinforcements and then NA will have options that were clearly lacking today. 

Our fans often talk about cringey things that have happened like the song and TS playing on the pitch but I thought the singing by many in the North Upper while Curbs was still speaking, while TS was still playing and NU sung a different song and worst of all singing while a Sheff Weds player was clearly seriously injured was far far poorer by our fans. That’s even ignoring the clowns who booed the knee!

Thought the Sheff Weds fans were very quiet which surprised me considering their numbers. 
    I think they got quiet because they realised they are not going to piss this league.
  • Thought Karen Hills summed up well at half time.  She said it was 'a bit bitty' - probably just saved herself from saying something else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Solid start, even first half and shaded the second.

The game as a spectacle wasn’t great but not nearly as bad as some are making out. Lots of positives to build on especially with some added quality and competition. 

I've been thinking that if the game had been played at Hillsborough, we'd have been saying it was a solid performance and a good away point.

• Firstly a tough first fixture of season playing a Championship side. They couldn't beat us. Early days of course but once again our defence looks more than capable of dealing with all this level throws at it. 

And so to the predictable aspect. Ineffectual midfield and nothing up front. Let us hope that more is to come from them. My prediction at the beginning was Bonne and Piggott will bang them in for Town and we would really struggle to find goals. Maybe this one result will tell us all we need to know about the season ahead. 

Hoping for 4 more additions 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I thought Washington did well today, sure he's not as quick as Jaiyesimi or as good a crosser, but he put in some dangerous balls and tried to make something happen throughout.

If he was missing on the left wing he had usually just dropped deep to support the doubled up on Gunter.
    On the player marks given in that Sheffield local paper, they reckoned that their fullback on Washington's side couldn't get up the pitch often.

Washington would have had a lot to do with that, defending from the front and his offball movement.

• Firstly a tough first fixture of season playing a Championship side. They couldn't beat us. Early days of course but once again our defence looks more than capable of dealing with all this level throws at it. 

And so to the predictable aspect. Ineffectual midfield and nothing up front. Let us hope that more is to come from them. My prediction at the beginning was Bonne and Piggott will bang them in for Town and we would really struggle to find goals. Maybe this one result will tell us all we need to know about the season ahead. 

Hoping for 4 more additions 
    Yep, this one single result with an incomplete team playing its first competitive fixture will definitely be very informative about the entire season. For sure. Definitely. Yes.

Or maybe that's bollocks. 
  • It isn't panic pointing out what we have now isn't good enough. We thought the squad would be more complete by the first day of the season and those questioning were told to wait. When the signings come in, people will be happy. We have the framework for a successful side. Probably 4 of today's starters should be on the bench with better players on the pitch and we could have a good season. But as of now with weeks remaining we still have a bit to do.
  • Sponsored links:

• To be honest, if we don't add and improve he could be right with a few key injuries. But most of us expect signings to come in. He could be right but hopefully he isn't. 
  • Created chances but couldn't put them away. On the other hand a clean sheet against a team just relegated. With the squad we have now I'd say we'd do OK and stay in League One...with maybe a 25% chance of a promotion push. But nothing beyond that.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    It wasn't terrible. But a few of us can see the iceberg ahead if issues are not addressed. And why that may sound negative to some, we should all expect them to be addressed and our season may hinge on how well they are.  
    I think we can all see additions are required. But some of us choose not to panic yet.

Control the things within your control. We cannot control anything about the running of the club or this transfer window by being blindly faithful or depressingly negative. 

I expect signings and if we don't get the required number or quality when the window shuts then all the negativity and anger will make sense, but still won't change anything. 

You can choose to be upset and negative, balanced or wildly positive. I recommend the latter two for your mental health. 
    Bang on the money.
  • It isn't panic pointing out what we have now isn't good enough. We thought the squad would be more complete by the first day of the season and those questioning were told to wait. When the signings come in, people will be happy. We have the framework for a successful side. Probably 4 of today's starters should be on the bench with better players on the pitch and we could have a good season. But as of now with weeks remaining we still have a bit to do.
    Our bench was loaded with kids, as we were missing 3 players who would either have been on it or even starting today.

Anyway, there'll be new players coming in.

• Glad to be back I think but absolute dog shit of a game. If we don’t get at least 6 more players then this season is over before it’s even started. 
  • Relegation is a bit pessimistic, but I thought we lacked goals before the game and am thinking it even more after it. Sandgaard did say we have more coming in so we have to see who they are.
    No but it's not particularly helpful or insightful either given that literally nobody has said otherwise. Not a single person has claimed we're ready now.