Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• Clare has energy but nowhere near Aribo's quality from what I have seen so far.
    Think Clare has a touch of the Aribo’s about him. Not saying he’s as good, but the way he uses his long legs to keep the ball under control even when it looks like it’s got away from him is something that Aribo was brilliant at

• edited August 2021
    Apologies, but I wanted to accentuate that he is nowhere near as good. Not on his showings to date anyway. He gives energy which we lacked last year and if we had a proper number 10 or Morgan becomes that, it could work.
  • Decent point. I thought the performance was good didn't warrant the win however. Dobson and Clare looked solid. Defense ok but famewo doing Cruyff turns in our own half scares me. 

Probably get a lot of stick, but I though Bannan was a class above anyone. Still hate the bloke obvs
  • They looked toothless but decent defensively. I would expect their comments to be similar to ours.
  • I was hoping for more from Morgan
  • Apologies, but I wanted to accentuate that he is nowhere near as good. Not on his showings to date anyway. He gives energy which we lacked last year and if we had a proper number 10 or Morgan becomes that, it could work.
    How good did you think Aribo was when you’d only seen him play one competitive match? 
  • First half was as poor a spectacle of football as you could ever hope to see. Stockley should have done better with his header.

Second half we looked decent but Albie couldn't take his couple of half chances.

On the positive side let's hope Wednesday are one of the stronger teams in the league and if any team deserved to win today it was us.

Let's hope Gilbey can recover and we can get some decent players in quickly. Today just showed what we all know: our first 11 can compete at the top but our squad is woefully short on quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Apologies, but I wanted to accentuate that he is nowhere near as good. Not on his showings to date anyway. He gives energy which we lacked last year and if we had a proper number 10 or Morgan becomes that, it could work.
    How good did you think Aribo was when you’d only seen him play one competitive match? 
    That is not a great point with apologies as Aribo had offensive quality from his first match. With Clare he ran about a lot and was involved but his touch was poor and I thought he was a bit headless. It is fair to say we need to see more of him but we can make judgements on what we have seen.
  • Absolutely zero chance of promotion if you think Morgan is going to pull the strings in Midfield. Saangard clearly has no money as he was still wearing the old top...probably got it from m and m direct.
    Haha I did notice that too. Couldn’t he have popped down to the club shop and nabbed one from the back?
  • If there is a silver lining to that sterile performance then it’s that it highlights perfectly the deficiencies in the squad. We need more than five more in all who need to be first choice quality.
  • Said on the match thread.......poor.

First half woeful  - second half better but didnt trouble their goalkeeper. I like Morgan but he is a creator, not a finisher. 

We had no width apart from DJ. No creativity & it seems our game plan is to hit long balls up to Stockley. John Beck is alive & well it seems & Adkins has never heard of Pep. 

Perfect summary. 
  • Typical game that felt in that transitional phase from pre-season to competitive football

Imagine there will be a good few players across the Division who'll still be needing to find their sharpness, but those players in a Charlton shirt need to find it quick.

As others have said; Famewo and Inniss were solid at the back, full-backs themselves did okay whilst MacGillivray made me nervous with how he likes to come out of the box... Dobson was my pick of the new signings, really calm in front of the defence and played some excellent balls out to DJ at times, remember this is a poster who thought we wouldnt see too many hollywood passes from him.

Whilst both Stockley and Washington battled hard, I thought the tactic today of crossing it into the box was wrong on this occasion; Wednesday can match Jayden and Ryan at set pieces and dealt with them easily, thought Jaiyesimi on the odd occasion could have done better with his decision making... But these will all be things that'll come together over the next few games.

Not making excuses as its conditions that both teams have to deal with, but felt the rain towards the 80th minute hampered our play more than Wednesday, they seemed to deal with it (Probably cos they're from up t'North), whereas we started to get really sloppy with our passes and how we tried to control the ball

Our last three opening day results in League One have been D | W | L so cant really base anything on this one.

Continue to agree that we do need bodies in the building (Reckon six would be a good number, two perms / four loans), dont think changing things would have made THAT much difference today either - Would have been making subs for the sake of it, not just because we didnt have the required experience.

But refuse to panic until the Transfer Window officially closes
  • Better start than our last promotion season...

• Sponsored links:

• Typical game that felt in that transitional phase from pre-season to competitive football

Imagine there will be a good few players across the Division who'll still be needing to find their sharpness, but those players in a Charlton shirt need to find it quick.

As others have said; Famewo and Inniss were solid at the back, full-backs themselves did okay whilst MacGillivray made me nervous with how he likes to come out of the box... Dobson was my pick of the new signings, really calm in front of the defence and played some excellent balls out to DJ at times, remember this is a poster who thought we wouldnt see too many hollywood passes from him.

Whilst both Stockley and Washington battled hard, I thought the tactic today of crossing it into the box was wrong on this occasion; Wednesday can match Jayden and Ryan at set pieces and dealt with them easily, thought Jaiyesimi on the odd occasion could have done better with his decision making... But these will all be things that'll come together over the next few games.

Not making excuses as its conditions that both teams have to deal with, but felt the rain towards the 80th minute hampered our play more than Wednesday, they seemed to deal with it (Probably cos they're from up t'North), whereas we started to get really sloppy with our passes and how we tried to control the ball

Our last three opening day results in League One have been D | W | L so cant really base anything on this one.

Continue to agree that we do need bodies in the building (Reckon six would be a good number, two perms / four loans), dont think changing things would have made THAT much difference today either - Would have been making subs for the sake of it, not just because we didnt have the required experience.

But refuse to panic until the Transfer Window officially closes
    Totally agree with most of this, though I would argue if we had some quality attacking subs to bring on in around the 75th minute when we started looking a little leggy I feel like we may have stayed on top of the game instead of it becoming a *little* nervy. 

• Decent crowd for a League One game?

Attendance: 17,639 (2,712 from Sheffield Wednesday)

• I was a fan of Dobson’s tenaciousness in the midfield. Thought it was a solid debut tbh 
  • Dobson looks a good addition. 
  • edited August 2021
    Difficult to make too many judgments based on watching on TV as I missed out on the atmosphere and Sky’s coverage was dire even by it’s own lamentable standards. Glad I’ve given up my subscription. That said, what a dreadful game that was! Two teams devoid of attacking talent. We were better second half but Albie is not the answer on that showing sadly, neither is Washington who I just don’t get (never have) and DJ flatters to deceive. Good though he is, Stockley determines that we play in a very one dimensional way. And don’t get me started on the two full backs. We are threadbare and need at least 6 decent signings to give us any sort of depth. God  I hate league 1!!!!   And as for doing away with the Red Red Robin!!!!  I’ll give Thomas his week in the sun but someone needs to have a word. 
  • A very average team. Could not see much creativity.
    Question- what has happened to “ Red Red Robin”?
  • I know he is a wind up prick with some history with us, but I do love watching Bannon play. Reminds me of Andy Reid. 

In an ever increasing game of programmed no thrills athletes, it’s good to see a relatively old school playmaker with a classy left foot. 
    I think Morgan could be that player for us if allowed.