Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• We defended well 
    We kept a clean sheet.
    Stockley worked his socks off.
    Everything else was very, very ordinary. Bang average League 1. Any watching Scum or Palace fans must have been laughing.
  • Defensively solid but you're not going to win a game if you don't test the goalie. Zero attempts on target says it all. But we had our chances. Morgan the main culprit. Work to be done Nigel. I'm sure you know it. But, a nervy point against Wednesday who'll probably be one of the better teams this season. We missed Chuks.
  • Better second half when we looked more fluid but that could be down to the ref being awful in that first 45. Stockley was very good and Innis and Famewo looked like they did last season. Clare and Dobson also better 2nd half whereas DJ went off the boil a bit. Morgan was disappointing.

Not sure whether I've been spoilt by Amos being so dominant in his area but not impressed with McGillivray. Didn't command his six yard box on any crosses and looked a bit hesitant throughout.

All in all a not a bad point but the squad lacks significant depth as shown by our bench. Hopefully some decent business will be done in the next couple of weeks to supplement some good players that we already have.

• Can't stand the sight of bannan, glad he didn't score and I'm glad I won't have to see the smarmy so and so for a while.. 

Thought we looked solid overall if not inspiring. I'm praying we can get the 4/5 quality signings we're desperate for before the window closes. I know there are rumours of Kirk, but for me we need him and more.

Yes, it's early season and players are still getting into the swing of things but today was crying out for some impact from the bench and we had absolutely nothing to bring on in a winnable game. I'll be seriously worried for us if this isn't addressed by the end of the window.

I'm looking forward to new in-comings and being able to sweep my worries away. 

I reckon Wednesday are probably saying similar things about themselves, it really felt like two incomplete sides going against each other today. 
  • edited August 2021
    It is arguable that we have a weaker one than that which started the season, but not arguable that it is weaker than the one that finished it. If you want to be positive, the base is there, now we need to embellish it a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:

Sky gave Stockley mom but still deemed it appropriate to spend most of the time wanking themselves over Bannon.

Embarrassing wasn't it? Bloke did nothing other than miss a sitter near the end - and even then they were talking about his "great composure", as he knocks a one on one wide. 

Had a touch of the Aiden McGeady-Syndrome about it. Apparently he is Premier League quality.

Yep, it was the same before the game, all they spoke about was him.

• Well one thing is for sure.

Having watched Ben Amos last season come for, and 99% of the time collect, high balls into the area I think I can safely say on the basis of that game we won't be seeing that from our new goalkeeper this season.

• Sums it up, close the thread. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Terrible game but it was great to be back. 

Defensively solid, not a lot to complain about apart from the gift to Bannan. Clare I was impressed with, Dobson less so but very early days for both. Morgan, admittedly I've never been his biggest fan but I really do not see what has suddenly made him a no 10 in anyone's eyes, honestly hope I'm wrong about him but I just don't see it.

The fact we had so little to offer from the bench speaks volumes. A lot more work to be done between now and the end of the month.
  • Highlight of the match 
    What a load of guff 
    Great picture.

It also shows that £30 for a ticket in the centre blocks of the East Stand is just plain blooming daft. 
  • edited August 2021
    Disappointed to hear boos at the start when the players took the knee 
    I didn't hear that.  Pricks need to be outed and excluded.
    I thought it was the Weds fans and noted their players didn’t take the knee.
    Nah was defo some in the North stand that done it as well
    Yep definitely heard some in the north doing it. Good that the clapping drowned it out but there was definitely a fair few booing where I was.
  • JamesSeed said:
    If anything Wednesday shaded it, although in the periods when we had the upper hand we looked more likely to score. 
    Morgan is such a frustrating player. Looks great a times, but still prone to make mistakes and his (attempts at) finishing lack quality. Saw glimpses of what Dobson and Clare can do (was it Clare who made a dazzling run to set up Stockley whose shot was tipped behind?) but they will improve. 
    It was Famewo’s run that set up Stockley.
  • edited August 2021
    Zero shots on target from us. They had 1 with that apology of a header at the end.
    Plenty of effort, but low on quality and poor decision making and composure in the final third.
    Reinforcements needed soon.