Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• edited August 2021
    Well one thing is for sure.

Having watched Ben Amos last season come for, and 99% of the time collect, high balls into the area I think I can safely say on the basis of that game we won't be seeing that from our new goalkeeper this season.
    Early days but based on the friendlies and this game he looks like a ‘stay at home keeper’ and his distribution is a bit iffy as Pompey fans warned. Mind you with the height we now have in the side he probably doesn’t need to come for set piece crosses that often.
  • Pretty dire TBH, one of the worst opening day games I've seen for many a year.

Stockley worked hard, we defended fairly well, but to not have a single strike on target sums it up really.

But a points a point, but we need to beef up the attacking options both from midfield and up top.
  • edited August 2021
    Went to FA cup game and only watched the 2nd half on Sky.
    I predicted 0-0 and the lack of fire power was clear to see. Morgan can have a decent season but he should stay behind at Sparrows lane to practice his Shooting. MacGillivray should practice his kicks and DJ should learn to relax when he is on the ball as he messed up two great opportunities.
    We play some decent football with Clare impressing and the defence covered well other than when the wee man Bannon picked up the ball from the poor kick from Craig Mac and started to go past our defenders as if they weren't there. Fortunately his shot went wide.
    Famewo always looks better when Inniss is alongside him; Smashing run and pass from Akin which bodes well when playing the ball out of defense and getting on the front foot.
    We so need an attacking LB to give us some decent width and crosses for the hard working Stockley.

To be in the top 6, a couple of quality  loans and an X factor player are required.
    Not confident the X factor player will arrive before the window shuts. 

8 wins out of 23 at home was so poor last season, and if we can't replace Aneke we will struggle to score. Lots of endeavour but no surprise with a no scoring stalemate.
  • RedChaser said:
    Well one thing is for sure.

Having watched Ben Amos last season come for, and 99% of the time collect, high balls into the area I think I can safely say on the basis of that game we won't be seeing that from our new goalkeeper this season.
    Early days but on the friendlies and this game he looks like a ‘stay at home keeper’ and his distribution is a bit iffy as Pompey fans warned. Mind you with the height we now gave in the side he probably doesn’t need to come for set piece crosses that often.
    Certainly didn't feel as comfortable with him between the posts, but that could be partly more to do with just never seeing him play.

One thing I do look about him is he looks happy to put himself in a more 'advanced' position. A fair few times today he picked up the ball in positions you would never have seen Amos.

I guess in the end most of it goes down to how well the stops shots going on target. 
  • edited August 2021
    If you can’t win, don’t lose. Job done. Shit otherwise and both teams need to do a bit of extra work on the training ground. Stockley definitely put in a performance, the rest did their bit not with anything special. I liked the new goalie, he definitely was watching the game unlike most goalkeepers though Crap at setting the wall for a free kick so that MUST be worked on.
  • Shit game, great atmosphere 
  • Thought we were ok and solid defensively, we have to keep the defence fit. 

Id worry that we don't have a plan b and no options, yet, but on the flip side, the owner was present to witness! 
  • Sponsored links:

• We looked good defensively and I thought our corners looked better but overall we looked pretty limited.
  • Shit game 
    Shit result 
    Shit league. 
    That's it 
    Had a good beer Rambo?
  • Highlight of the match 
    What a load of guff 
    Great picture.

It also shows that £30 for a ticket in the centre blocks of the East Stand is just plain blooming daft. 
    Ermm excuse me,,The Alan Curbishley Stand B)
    Oops!
  • Not going to going to let too many goals through with this set up but need something else to create in the final third.
  • Jayashemi looked dangerous also. 
  • Had an entire summer to forget how awful League One is. Back to reality. 
  • With Aneke we win….. without Aneke and any sign of a replacement, we didn’t. Disappointing, but pretty much expected. 

First two points dropped. 

• It was a shame we didn't have Gilbey. A midfielder who knows where the goal is.
  • Nothing we didn’t already know to be honest. We look reasonably solid but we lack attacking threat and depth to the team. 

No threat from the full backs. 
    Not enough creativity through the middle
    Washington isn’t a left winger 
    Nothing on the bench to make a real impact 

We’re 6 players short and 3 need to improve our first 11.

This.

Will be glad when pre-season is over & the season start for real.

Oh wait.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Pretty poor first half but I think we looked the better team second half. Clare grew into the game and Dobson seems to have something about him. I thought Morgan looked decent today.
    We won’t struggle defensively but need at least one if the two full backs who can overlap and a right sided left back won’t do that. However, Matthews and Gunter were fine today.
    Stockley clear MoM for me. Did great at both ends and is much better on the floor than I gave him credit for. Interesting choice as captain but I think hope rose to it.
    We need another four or five players so so that game changing subs can be made but a decent enough start.
  • Clare has energy but nowhere near Aribo's quality from what I have seen so far.
  • 2121 said:
    Jayashemi looked dangerous also. 
    That sounds like someone who's pissed would say it 🤣
  • JamesSeed said:
    If anything Wednesday shaded it, although in the periods when we had the upper hand we looked more likely to score. 
    Morgan is such a frustrating player. Looks great a times, but still prone to make mistakes and his (attempts at) finishing lack quality. Saw glimpses of what Dobson and Clare can do (was it Clare who made a dazzling run to set up Stockley whose shot was tipped behind?) but they will improve. 
    It was Famewo’s run that set up Stockley.
    Ta, thought it was at the time, then saw someone giving Clare a fist bump. 
  • If this team is something to build on - superb
    If this is the team - worrying
    Stockey - superb performance
    Clean sheet and unbeaten
    Had much worse 
  • Maybe it's just because it was the first game back, but I thought there were some promising signs. Obviously we need more options, pace and width but the spine looked solid.

Of the new signings, macgillivray didn't really make an impression, probably because he didn't have much to do. Thought Dobson was good, with the exception of a couple of stray passes - reminded me of pratley in his tenaciousness and Cullen in his willingness to get the ball off the centre backs. Clare I thought was fairly quiet first half but grew into it in the second. 

Also shout out for famewos marauding run!