Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• Apologies, but I wanted to accentuate that he is nowhere near as good. Not on his showings to date anyway. He gives energy which we lacked last year and if we had a proper number 10 or Morgan becomes that, it could work.
    Yeah I agree Aribo is light years ahead of Clare and if we had Aribo in midfield today we probably win that game. Just saying there’s similarities to their games.
  • edited August 2021
    Dobson is good. 
    In an average kind of way
  • Morgan needs to watch performances like that from Bannon.
    Zero goals, zero assists, zero shots on target from either of them.

Morgan's game was mostly decent today, shame about his shooting but Bannons composure was also bad for his one on one... I mean shooting across himself there cost Wendies three points.
  • Dobson is good. 
    In an average kind of way
    His passing is good and as the base midfielder he improves us. We got good energy from Clare and Morgan but we need goals from one or both of them. Maybe we will get them, but I am looking for the evidence we will which is flimsy at best. Maybe we will see it in the coming weeks or bring in players with proven track records of goals as well as the other qualities needed. 
  • Dobson has some energy, can see him picking up a few bookings though. Clare impressed me more. We are in desperate need of some pace and width though. Kirk will start to address that. Not sure either fullback is going to be good enough either. 
  • edited August 2021
    Dobson has some energy, can see him picking up a few bookings though. Clare impressed me more. We are in desperate need of some pace and width though. Kirk will start to address that. Not sure either fullback is going to be good enough either. 
    It is the joy of football that we can see the game game so differently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bods64 said:
    Too early to judge yet surely? Give it 10 games and then see. So if Wednesday are champions elect then that makes us a close second!! Fitness levels are nowhere near 100% yet as Brownie alluded to on coms. Yeah we need some more incoming to be competitive but early days yet. Wholeheartedly agree with Jams comments the spine is there a bit more speed and width from marauding fullbacks would be useful. Early days as I say!
    Sheff Wed are nowhere near being in the top 6. Mid table finish at best. 
  • ct_addick said:
    Everyone on here rates Morgan but I never have....no composure whatsoever....2 glaring chances executed with poor technique.....runs around like a chicken with no head...
    compare him to a proper #10 in Bannon ...we need an upgrade there
    TBF Bannan is more of a deep lying midfielder and he didn't hit the target with a much easier chance, albeit after good work. 
    Tbf Bannan was quality, reminds me a bit of Kins

Bannan probably earns 6/7 times more than most on the pitch though.

Morgan done fine for me for an hour but he looked leggy, especially his last chance. Ive mentioned how much I like him. 
  • 25 clean sheets would be mightily impressive.

Last year Blackpool topped that with 23.
  • Last season people moaned that we could only bring on Aneke for 20 mins.

This season we are bringing on Claydon.

And some people think that is progress & we are stronger.

Jesus wept.

If we can win a lot of those games as well... Hull won the league with 27-wins
  • Bods64 said:
    Too early to judge yet surely? Give it 10 games and then see. So if Wednesday are champions elect then that makes us a close second!! Fitness levels are nowhere near 100% yet as Brownie alluded to on coms. Yeah we need some more incoming to be competitive but early days yet. Wholeheartedly agree with Jams comments the spine is there a bit more speed and width from marauding fullbacks would be useful. Early days as I say!
    Sheff Wed are nowhere near being in the top 6. Mid table finish at best. 
    From what I have seen, like us they seem defensively sound but they lack goals. Goals are what you need to get promoted as it is three points for a win and only one for a draw.

Not so impressive if they are 0-0s though!

Oh, DEFENSIVE clean sheets. Like in the song...
    We will do well to score in more than 21 games judging by today's performance.
    (which I'm not, given we are half a team short with no options from the bench)
  • Sponsored links:

• I think I get the point about the spine but if you look at our three midfielders, they have four goals in over two hundred games between them. If you extrapolate that over a season, we ought to expect about one goal. It basically incentivises stopping the attacking threats we do possess as a tactic.
  • 0-0 draw. 
    The first of many. 
    Famewo MOM for me. 
  • edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Apologies, but I wanted to accentuate that he is nowhere near as good. Not on his showings to date anyway. He gives energy which we lacked last year and if we had a proper number 10 or Morgan becomes that, it could work.
    How good did you think Aribo was when you’d only seen him play one competitive match? 
    That is not a great point with apologies as Aribo had offensive quality from his first match. With Clare he ran about a lot and was involved but his touch was poor and I thought he was a bit headless. It is fair to say we need to see more of him but we can make judgements on what we have seen.
    That is not a great point with apologies. We either need to see more of him or we don’t. 
    ;-)
  • edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Apologies, but I wanted to accentuate that he is nowhere near as good. Not on his showings to date anyway. He gives energy which we lacked last year and if we had a proper number 10 or Morgan becomes that, it could work.
    How good did you think Aribo was when you’d only seen him play one competitive match? 
    That is not a great point with apologies as Aribo had offensive quality from his first match. With Clare he ran about a lot and was involved but his touch was poor and I thought he was a bit headless. It is fair to say we need to see more of him but we can make judgements on what we have seen.
    That is not a great point with apologies. We either need to see more of him or we don’t. 
    ;-)
    We are always making judgements and my point was maybe he can revise mine, but I am not getting it the few times I have seen him. If We had a number 10 with an eye for goal, I would sort of get it more as he does get involved without the apparent quality. If we had a midfielder with an eye for goal, I'd happily see less of Clare. Dobson is the player with a bye in terms of attacking qualities for me given where he plays. I am happy with his range of passing which improves us.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    ;-)
    Muttley, with respect I think we must have been watching a different player today, he wasn’t fantastic but I certainly saw some promise in his play.🤷🏻‍♂️