Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sheff Wed - 07/08/21

Comments

• Red red robin was played as the old players were introduced for the Curbs tribute , well around that time .

Stockley unreal and Morgan I still just don’t see it .

Can’t wait for the end of the month to see where we’re really at but sitting on the fence it could go either way .

anyway Curbs and SCP has left me without any custard in my pipe .
    oh to not be a pissy third tier club again , we can but dream 

surely there was not one neutral in the country who sat through all of that , the woman’s hundred, even if it was rained off, would have been more appealing .

good to be back at The Valley didn’t feel like I’d been away , it really is home .

3%    Automatics 
    64%    Play offs 
    32%     7th-12th
    1%    Bottom half 
  • He’s nuts if he thinks that was a great game ….perfect match for us 
    I’m starting to think he might actually be (and not necessarily in a good way)…
  • Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Have never enjoyed an opening day less because of all the negativity surrounding literally everything. This site is becoming such a disappointment for me and that is heartbreaking 
    The fact is we have arguably a weaker squad than last season. 
    Should have all your signings done before first game even if there a couple of weeks left in the window 
    No arguably about it, for a start we haven't replaced a 15 goal a season striker who could only play 30 mins a game. How we are expected to win promotion with less than what we had last year is beyond me. All this talk about more players to come I don't get it, if we had them lined up they would already be here. It is looking like TS has under estimated what is required to fund a promotion bid. I get that he stepped in when it seemed we were in danger of losing the club & has lodged funds to see us through the season & fair play for that but really I don't want to hear that we are going to blow away this league when it looks like he has no intention of funding a promotion bid.
    This guy?! 

I loved Chuks... 

He did well last season, especially given his minutes, but let's not rewrite his history in this league.

In fact in the last 9 seasons between L2 & The Championship, he's broken the 15 barrier twice, 18/19 & 20/21. Came close in 13/14.

But he wasn't converted to being a striker until recently.
    Not as true as we might have been led to believe.

This is only the games where it was recorded but the position he has played more than any other is CF.

• thenewbie said:
    Firstly a tough first fixture of season playing a Championship side. They couldn't beat us. Early days of course but once again our defence looks more than capable of dealing with all this level throws at it. 

And so to the predictable aspect. Ineffectual midfield and nothing up front. Let us hope that more is to come from them. My prediction at the beginning was Bonne and Piggott will bang them in for Town and we would really struggle to find goals. Maybe this one result will tell us all we need to know about the season ahead. 

Hoping for 4 more additions 
    Yep, this one single result with an incomplete team playing its first competitive fixture will definitely be very informative about the entire season. For sure. Definitely. Yes.

Or maybe that's bollocks. 
    The one result meaning ... At the end of the season we may see we have let in few goals and not scored enough. Or perhaps you disagree and instead think we will let in heaps and score bundles? 

See you in May. Someone is going to eat their words! 
    I have no idea how it will play out over the course of the whole season. That's the whole point. We might sign Kirk and he provides the service to turn Stockley into a goal scoring juggernaut. Maybe we lose Famewo and/or Inniss for the second season running and concede bucketfuls. Probably neither.

One result won't tell us that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Have never enjoyed an opening day less because of all the negativity surrounding literally everything. This site is becoming such a disappointment for me and that is heartbreaking 
    The fact is we have arguably a weaker squad than last season. 
    Should have all your signings done before first game even if there a couple of weeks left in the window 
    No arguably about it, for a start we haven't replaced a 15 goal a season striker who could only play 30 mins a game. How we are expected to win promotion with less than what we had last year is beyond me. All this talk about more players to come I don't get it, if we had them lined up they would already be here. It is looking like TS has under estimated what is required to fund a promotion bid. I get that he stepped in when it seemed we were in danger of losing the club & has lodged funds to see us through the season & fair play for that but really I don't want to hear that we are going to blow away this league when it looks like he has no intention of funding a promotion bid.
    This guy?! 

I loved Chuks... 

He did well last season, especially given his minutes, but let's not rewrite his history in this league.

In fact in the last 9 seasons between L2 & The Championship, he's broken the 15 barrier twice, 18/19 & 20/21. Came close in 13/14.

But he wasn't converted to being a striker until recently.
    Not as true as we might have been led to believe.

This is only the games where it was recorded but the position he has played more than any other is CF.

Even if you trust that kind of data on these sites (I don't) you'd have to admit he's played more than half his career in midfield, so the goalscoring stats are pretty moot. 
  • edited August 2021
    mendonca said:
    I just want Albie to find his instep. That will make him a more complete player.

Apart from that, same old Charlton.
    What was nagging me at the back of my mind about Albie was that Fulham game. Not in isolation, but I am obviously looking for clues he can step up and be that player he is probably a few percentage points away from being at the moment. It is what we desperately need him to be this season. We had a free-kick outside the area and Fulham set up for it terribly. The obvious approach was to try to curl it around the wall which was a man short to the right and into the near post. Morgan went for a bog standard attempt that if it hadn't gone wide and high wouldn't trouble the keeper. Some players just don't have that goal scoring instinct. Maybe he is one of them.

We need goals from shots and free kicks. JFC provided that to a fair degree last season. We need somebody in who can do that this.
  • I think we need to be playing 4-4-2 but we need at least one more capable striker if we are to compete for promotion. Washington can't play the left winger in a 4-3-3 either, so we need someone else. In the meantime I would play Clayden in a 4-4-2 with Conor alongside Jayden. That might have been enough yesterday.
  • Not sure if said already, but Stockley won every single header in our own box. And the majority in the offensive box (whether effective or not). Really useful player beyond his role as a striker! 
    He did some great work defensively, indeed the ball seemed magnetically attracted to his head at set pieces

Perhaps play him in defence then.....because last time I looked he is supposed to be up the other end SCORING. 
    What a header that would be, to score at the other end from Defending  a corner.
  • An observation on the team. 
    In the past there were players, maybe on loan, but they were playing at a lower level than they could have played eg, Beilk, Gallagher, Cullen, Doughty. I see no one in that team that is below their level.
     But then we don't have our loans in yet. Hopefully those will be some of the players playing beneath their level and a couple of perms will hopefully do so too.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    I thought the booing at kick off from our fans was directed towards the Wednesday players for not taking the knee.
    I love the optimism, but I’m not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion.
    Happened at Fulham as well 
  • Off_it said:
    Might have had a penalty when their goalie took out Stockley . It seemed pretty blatant to me but not a peep from the Sky commentator.
    I'm glad someone has finally mentioned this because I said exactly that at the time. 

The keeper came for the cross, Stockley jumps, the defender got there before the two of them and headed it for a corner and then the keeper absolutely flies into Stockley taking him out and getting absolutely nowhere near the ball.

Any other player does that anywhere else on the pitch and it's a blatant foul for a very late challenge.

But not a peep from Sky, or anyone else on here.

I was beginning to think I'd imagined it.
    Anywhere else on the pitch and a player gets a red for that. Looked a stone-wall penalty from my view pretty near the incident. Don't mind it not being given as long as forwards can challenge goalies too. Basically there are penalty box laws and mid-pitch laws. When has anyone ever seen a penalty for a challenge after the striker has shot wide? Some of those are so late, they'd be definite yellows anywhere else. 
  • Steady start to the season. 

Defence looked solid, and it looks like we have lots more energy in midfield. 

The only negative for me was in the final third, need to be more clinical in our delivery , and need to find a way to play if the stockley option isn’t working. 

If we fill up our match day squad with decent loans and perms then I am sure things will fall into place 
  • I think we need to be playing 4-4-2 but we need at least one more capable striker if we are to compete for promotion. Washington can't play the left winger in a 4-3-3 either, so we need someone else. In the meantime I would play Clayden in a 4-4-2 with Conor alongside Jayden. That might have been enough yesterday.
    Agreed. I was saying NA should make that change 15-20 minutes from the end yesterday. I guess he didn't want to take the risk of losing rather than the chance of winning. Probably fair enough for the first game of the season and against a team just down from the Championship - but certainly something he should pursue, especially if we bring in Kirk as a conventional left midfield/wing.
  • Sage said:
    Posting without reading the vast majority and it seems that’s pretty much a good thing too by the accounts of some on here about how negative and moaning this site has become. A big reason why you wouldn’t normally find me on a post match thread but this time I had a look. And have decided to throw my two pence worth in.

We managed to attend our first match with everyone able to go for the first time in 17 months. I am just happy that we could to go and enjoy it.

I was overwhelmed at one stage, going to football was a huge, huge part of my life before that got taken away for so long. Why do we have fans who seem to enjoy being negative all the time? It was emotional, but the fans as a whole, the noise was fantastic. Very, very good support.

I did, however, find it embarrassing and extremely disappointing when some people decided to boo the kneel. I clapped at that moment and I am glad others around me did too. If you still don’t understand why players clubs continue to take this stance, I don’t think you ever will and that is something to be negative about. Our club represents and welcomes everyone from all walks of life. All backgrounds, beliefs, and race. If you are unable to recognise, acknowledge, welcome, and support that, then I’m afraid you’re supporting the wrong club. The work our club and community trust has done to encourage equality, diversity and inclusion is thankfully nationally recognised. We are making a conscious effort with including the Women’s Team, and rightly so, to ensure we continue to strive to be one whole club. We have the Charlton Invicta, we have the Charlton Upbeats, we have so much more. Players taking the knee prior to kick-off to raise awareness on the inequalities, mainly racial, we continue to see in our society on a daily basis - worse in the football community - well, if that offends you, you’re supporting the wrong club. I hope that what happened in some sections of the crowd when the players took the knee does not happen again. 

The game of football want the greatest but it improved in the second half. We all know we need more players, but we also know that will happen, I am so tired of reading the same thing over and over as if it’s breaking news. We will get there and if you can’t be a little more aware and patient after what this club has been through over the last however many years, then that’s quite sad too.

My only moan from the club side from it all would be the lack of the Red, Red, Robin. That is just one thing that does not change and for me, has such personal meaning too beyond a tradition, so it has to stay.

Now that’s all out the way, I’ll talk about the game. I will not be replying to anyone regarding these sections above.

In terms of the team, I thought we looked solid and they didn’t really hurt us. I’m confident that when Inniss and Famewo play together we will be strong enough defensively. 

I liked that Adkins was aware of Washington’s struggles in the first half and how Stockley was isolated at times. He made a tactical switch in the second half and pushed Morgan further out to the left which allowed Washington to come inside more. It was a clever tweak that meant we were more effective going forward.

Jaiyesimi is going to have a good season for us. However, his decision making will let him down at times. There were a couple of times he wildly shot when he could have and should have slid a pass to Matthews or crossed it across the face of goal rather than back. But he’s young and these things he will learn.

Stockley was immense. His ability to hold the ball, his strength in the air, and his value in the defensive side with heading the ball away countless times in our own box. He’s going to need support and players to get closer to him, provide him with good crosses, but that’ll come and he’ll do well.

I don’t feel we did enough to win the game and as we didn’t test their keeper anywhere near enough, but we also didn’t deserve to lose either, so a 0-0 was a fair result. 

Tuesday gives us the chance to rotate a little bit and get some valuable minutes into some players. It would be nice if Schwartz was on the bench and came on for 15 minutes or so. If people don’t like him or rate him that’s fine, but whilst he’s here we need him to get up to speed so he can offer us something. Tuesday is a good opportunity to be involved. I would expect Elewere, Pearce, Watson, Clayden, and Davison all to start. 

I was also fortunate enough to sit near Gilbey and Purrington, so hopefully they are back sooner rather than later as they’re two good players to add to this squad. Gilbey is actually someone I feel we miss in midfield so fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and return to fitness. 
    Excellent post.
  • In terms of taking the knee it’s very simple for me - we have a team of many backgrounds, colours, cultures and races. They all want to take the knee and if that’s what the squad want to do to support their own players then that should be good enough for the fans. 

By booing them you are basically saying you are turning your backs on a squad decision that they have all made together.

This isn’t dirty scummy Millwall. This is Charlton and if someone wants to boo the knee and show themselves to be a dirty stinking racist - then I won’t be comfortable taking my mixed raced family to the game.
    TTK will be going on forever.