Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaards ego can do one (Ed. And it has for now)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    i have to say it’s all a bit much everyone getting precious over a song not being played for what may be a one off at a certain time, it was played while the ex players were introduced for the curbishley stand opening. I wonder how many on here that are up in arms, we’re actually at the game?, if you weren’t then don’t fix.;ng moan, because the bloke that put millions in was. God forbid someone trying something new and upsetting the traditionalists, they might  boycott or something. I agree The team should come out to RRR, and then ATR for the 2nd half. But bloody hell the over reaction is just too full of entitlement.TS is trying to make Charlton a good fun place to enjoy and move on from all the shit, and yet people want to continue with negativity and moaning because it suits them.

I wasn't at the game because I am isolating so couldn't be there.  Having put thousands into the club over the past thirty years including best part of a grand on season ticket, valley gold I am entitled to have an opinion on someone coming in for 5 minutes and changing a mainstay tradition for a self imposed ego trip.   Was Curbishley's day yesterday yet there is TS standing there garnering all the attention.

Do I think he is a bad bloke a'la Southall et el- no of course not.  Is he a dour balance sheet weirdo like Duchatelet- no.

And of course he has come in and stopped the club from potentially folding/ facing dire straights which we are of course all grateful for.   However, Duchatelet essentially did that to a degree.

What I really don't understand after the past 3 ownerships is how quickly Charlton fans seem to drop to their knees and hero- worship anyone who comes in.  Yes he is keeping the club going and has stopped us facing dire straights but that is a symptom of how fucked up modern football is- it doesn't mean they get carte blanche to do what they want or bastardise the traditions of our great club.

I will give TS the benefit of the doubt but I have great concerns that there may be a bit of emperor's clothes here.  I don't think he is a wrong un a'la Southall and Nimir but I do think he is perhaps very naïve about football and has massively underestimated what is required to progress a football club in the hugely competitive and pitfall- ridden English leagues.

I have concerns about how long the funding is sustainable, whether he has the funds or the appetite for the reality of the level of spend that is required to get out of this league and then try to even compete, let alone push on, in the Championship and nothing I;ve seen player recruitment wise so far has really given me much confidence in that department and we have started the season after a whole summer to prepare with right backs at left back and no bench. 

Yes this is a very negative and pessimistic outlook but after the last 3 owners and seeing the lack of investment in the playing squad which under prior ownerships would likely have caused wider concern and raised further questions.

The bluster and pie in the sky talk of European football etc was a red flag that he didn't get it and whilst optimistic can do positivity has its place it won't get you goals against Accrington Stanley.

I really don't get how people are so quick to elevate new comers to legend status and the "Cult of Sandgaard" means that any of us voicing concerns or criticising things like the replacement of RRR with a vanity project are frowned upon as miserable bastards (not to say that we aren't necessarily).

Don't forget we have put in £5m in season ticket sales so it's not all bankrolled and we are entitled to have a view even if it involves criticising or raising concerns about an owner who seems to have attained messianic status within 5 minutes of rocking up.

I've been following Charlton for 30 plus years through the lows and lows as most of us have and will continue to do so and will care more about it than any non- Charlton fan owner now or in future.

I want to be proved wrong and will happily swallow every word of the above if he delivers but until then whilst grateful he has stopped us going under and is funding us I reserve the right as a paying fan of 30 years to be reluctant to go nuts in on worshipping/ not criticising egotistical stuff like this poxy song.

Please just focus on building the football side of things and the accolades and praise will follow when they have been earnt.

I agree with most of what you have expressed, however everyone is entitled to there opinion, whether they have been a fan for 5 or 50 years, or have spent £50 or £50million. I’ve been a fan for over 40 years but do I think my opinion is more worthy than a 30 year supporting fan,,No. At the moment and I understand the reasonswhy, there seems to be a mantra of guilty and prove yourself to be innocent. Which in my opinion is quite sad. TS  as it stands has done absolutely nothing wrong and the smallest issues are being jumped upon. I’m not someone to hero worship anybody as I believe people should be seen as equals, but I also appreciate the man has the clubs interest at heart and until he is proven guilty of not doing this and should be supported. Too many people are very keen to prove why they are charltons no.1 fan on this forum and yet we all spend our time and hard earned money on whichever level of affordability we can. We all want the same outcome and yet a song that HASNT been replaced is getting people on there high horse.

Fair enough mate. I will say no more on it and will see what unfolds. There is a lot of thrice bitten in my thinking and hopefully it is undue pessimism. Not expecting or demanding us to be a footballing success just want the off the field sideshows to stop, at least until we are. Anyway, long season ahead and fingers crossed it'll go well.
  • With the greatest respect, it’s a silly poll 
    Just what I was thinking. Just asking this question is disconcerting, and almost insulting.

I think we need a fans advisor advisor.

The Red Red Robin is not any song. It has a beautiful message. I can't think of many other clubs' songs that really match it's beauty.
    You'll Never Walk Alone, yes
    Blue Moon comes close.

Any other candidates? Fancy a poll on that?
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    i have to say it’s all a bit much everyone getting precious over a song not being played for what may be a one off at a certain time, it was played while the ex players were introduced for the curbishley stand opening. I wonder how many on here that are up in arms, we’re actually at the game?, if you weren’t then don’t fix.;ng moan, because the bloke that put millions in was. God forbid someone trying something new and upsetting the traditionalists, they might  boycott or something. I agree The team should come out to RRR, and then ATR for the 2nd half. But bloody hell the over reaction is just too full of entitlement.TS is trying to make Charlton a good fun place to enjoy and move on from all the shit, and yet people want to continue with negativity and moaning because it suits them.

I wasn't at the game because I am isolating so couldn't be there.  Having put thousands into the club over the past thirty years including best part of a grand on season ticket, valley gold I am entitled to have an opinion on someone coming in for 5 minutes and changing a mainstay tradition for a self imposed ego trip.   Was Curbishley's day yesterday yet there is TS standing there garnering all the attention.

Do I think he is a bad bloke a'la Southall et el- no of course not.  Is he a dour balance sheet weirdo like Duchatelet- no.

And of course he has come in and stopped the club from potentially folding/ facing dire straights which we are of course all grateful for.   However, Duchatelet essentially did that to a degree.

What I really don't understand after the past 3 ownerships is how quickly Charlton fans seem to drop to their knees and hero- worship anyone who comes in.  Yes he is keeping the club going and has stopped us facing dire straights but that is a symptom of how fucked up modern football is- it doesn't mean they get carte blanche to do what they want or bastardise the traditions of our great club.

I will give TS the benefit of the doubt but I have great concerns that there may be a bit of emperor's clothes here.  I don't think he is a wrong un a'la Southall and Nimir but I do think he is perhaps very naïve about football and has massively underestimated what is required to progress a football club in the hugely competitive and pitfall- ridden English leagues.

I have concerns about how long the funding is sustainable, whether he has the funds or the appetite for the reality of the level of spend that is required to get out of this league and then try to even compete, let alone push on, in the Championship and nothing I;ve seen player recruitment wise so far has really given me much confidence in that department and we have started the season after a whole summer to prepare with right backs at left back and no bench. 

Yes this is a very negative and pessimistic outlook but after the last 3 owners and seeing the lack of investment in the playing squad which under prior ownerships would likely have caused wider concern and raised further questions.

The bluster and pie in the sky talk of European football etc was a red flag that he didn't get it and whilst optimistic can do positivity has its place it won't get you goals against Accrington Stanley.

I really don't get how people are so quick to elevate new comers to legend status and the "Cult of Sandgaard" means that any of us voicing concerns or criticising things like the replacement of RRR with a vanity project are frowned upon as miserable bastards (not to say that we aren't necessarily).

Don't forget we have put in £5m in season ticket sales so it's not all bankrolled and we are entitled to have a view even if it involves criticising or raising concerns about an owner who seems to have attained messianic status within 5 minutes of rocking up.

I've been following Charlton for 30 plus years through the lows and lows as most of us have and will continue to do so and will care more about it than any non- Charlton fan owner now or in future.

I want to be proved wrong and will happily swallow every word of the above if he delivers but until then whilst grateful he has stopped us going under and is funding us I reserve the right as a paying fan of 30 years to be reluctant to go nuts in on worshipping/ not criticising egotistical stuff like this poxy song.

Please just focus on building the football side of things and the accolades and praise will follow when they have been earnt.

I agree with most of what you have expressed, however everyone is entitled to there opinion, whether they have been a fan for 5 or 50 years, or have spent £50 or £50million. I’ve been a fan for over 40 years but do I think my opinion is more worthy than a 30 year supporting fan,,No. At the moment and I understand the reasonswhy, there seems to be a mantra of guilty and prove yourself to be innocent. Which in my opinion is quite sad. TS  as it stands has done absolutely nothing wrong and the smallest issues are being jumped upon. I’m not someone to hero worship anybody as I believe people should be seen as equals, but I also appreciate the man has the clubs interest at heart and until he is proven guilty of not doing this and should be supported. Too many people are very keen to prove why they are charltons no.1 fan on this forum and yet we all spend our time and hard earned money on whichever level of affordability we can. We all want the same outcome and yet a song that HASNT been replaced is getting people on there high horse.

Fair enough mate.  I will say no more on it and will see what unfolds. There is a lot of thrice bitten in my thinking and hopefully it is undue pessimism.

Not expecting or demanding us to be a footballing success just want the off the field sideshows to stop, at least until we are.

Anyway, long season ahead and fingers crossed it'll go well.
    I think we all have a bit of worry, as charltons fans we’ve experienced every bit of shit that could have been  thrown at us!!, but we’re all still here whether we agree or not, I’m trying to ride the positivity train as it stands because I’m fed up of the bad stuff. Nothing personal though RCT. Just opinions, and hope all goes as we hope!!.👍
  • edited August 2021
    With the greatest respect, it’s a silly poll 
    Just what I was thinking. Just asking this question is disconcerting, and almost insulting.

I think we need a fans advisor advisor.

The Red Red Robin is not any song. It has a beautiful message. I can't think of many other clubs' songs that really match it's beauty.
    You'll Never Walk Alone, yes
    Blue Moon comes close.

Any other candidates? Fancy a poll on that?
    I personally always thought it would be good as an actual chant that our fans sing.
    Belting out the lines "Live, Love, Laugh and be Happy" would sound great. 
  • Definitely Murray
    Definitely isn't
  • Even as a one off this should never have happened. 
    Has he murdered someone as well ? Give over man . It will be back to normal next game . 
    He might as well of done.
  • Sponsored links:

• 3blokes said:
    Speaking as someone who’s been known to dabble in the football song genre on occasion, ( 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️) firstly I would say, good on him for giving it a go. I can’t think of any other club owner doing that, so it’s not the worst thing an owner could do imho. RD on the other hand danced whether we won or lost.
    Anyway, I think the ‘mistake’ yesterday was playing it at the wrong time. An emotional return to the Valley should have been accompanied by RRR as the team came out. Addicks to Victory could have slotted in comfortably alongside other songs routinely played at the start like Into the Valley, London Calling and VFR. He would have likely got some praise for his efforts.
    As for the song itself, it is really tricky to write a terrace anthem because you never quite know what will stick and get taken up by the crowd. My pennyworth on Addicks to Victory would be to focus on that line ‘Addicks to Victory’ right from the start, speed it up a bit, repeat it loads and make that the chant in the hope it catches on.👍🏻
    But really what do I know? 🤷‍♂️
    A few good results, some new players in, and it could be a feature.of the pre match or half time, And maybe he should sell it as a download for a fund raiser for a worthy Charlton cause?

I think it should be played after a victory a bit like when we used to play congratulations. It would sound much better after a victory I'm sure.
    Bloody hell. Congratulations. I'd forgotten about that. We used to play Cliff Richard at The Valley, lol
  • Definitely Murray
    Definitely isn't
    Yes it was, proven by another photo afterwards
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Is that Murray there too?

Yes. The weasel is using a mask to his advantage so he’s hard to recognise. 
    I just hope he’s not trying to get involved in the club in some sneaky way . 
    I may have made a mistake but isn't this the guy who was looking at Minto 'going in for the snog?'

If so, it's not Murray.
  • I have just printed my ticket for Tuesday.
    Lets see if they have sorted this by then.
  • Leuth said:
    Maybe A2V can replace London Calling. The Clash are an overrated North London band and can frankly get lost imo

One of the best pre- football songs going imo.  

Chelsea's use of Liquidator is up there too.
  • Croydon said:
    Change the entrance song at any club in this country for an owner's own song, and there would be uproar. Does make me laugh that some on here think a moaning fanbase is something exclusive to Charlton. 
    Spot on can't imagine changing the Z cars theme at Everton or Let em come at Millwall for example.
  • So what should have happened based on these comments, TS should have announced he would be using his own song as a one off to bookmark his first game of the season in charge, new era bla bla bla and then gone back to RRR and no one would actually care.

shows how important communication is and as Akfa brilliantly put, it’a disappointing no one at the club recognised this and come to a decision like that 
    That’s not true though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Maybe A2V can replace London Calling. The Clash are an overrated North London band and can frankly get lost imo
    Now this I can get behind, would be happy if I didn't have to hear some bloke shouting LIVE BY THE RIVAAAAAAAA every 20 seconds for the rest of my life
  • We should obviously play Squeeze in the London Calling slot. Cool For Cats or something. Don't tell me it wouldn't be an improvement 
  • edited August 2021
    Leuth said:
    We should obviously play Squeeze in the London Calling slot. Cool For Cats or something. Don't tell me it wouldn't be an improvement 
    If we're having a poll on it when it comes to Squeeze songs I would prefer Up the Junction 
  • Leuth said:
    We should obviously play Squeeze in the London Calling slot. Cool For Cats or something. Don't tell me it wouldn't be an improvement 
    If we're having a poll on it I would prefer Up the Junction 
    Playing such a perfectly elegiac and balladic song before a match might not psych our fans up so much as get us all questioning our life choices, the nature of passing time etc 
  • edited August 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is that Murray there too?

Yes. The weasel is using a mask to his advantage so he’s hard to recognise. 
    I just hope he’s not trying to get involved in the club in some sneaky way . 
    I may have made a mistake but isn't this the guy who was looking at Minto 'going in for the snog?'

If so, it's not Murray.
    Yes you’ve made a mistake Murray is to the right(in front) of TS in the picture 
  • Leuth said:
    Now I know you're on a wind u
  • I think the conclusion is we didn’t win yesterday and the team didn’t look great in truth.  Got to have something to complain about. It’s the Charlton way. 😀
  • If Sandgaard flies to the edge of space in a penis shaped rocket I for one can't bring myself to support him