Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaards ego can do one (Ed. And it has for now)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    paulfox said:
    i have to say it’s all a bit much everyone getting precious over a song not being played for what may be a one off at a certain time, it was played while the ex players were introduced for the curbishley stand opening. I wonder how many on here that are up in arms, we’re actually at the game?, if you weren’t then don’t fix.;ng moan, because the bloke that put millions in was. God forbid someone trying something new and upsetting the traditionalists, they might  boycott or something. I agree The team should come out to RRR, and then ATR for the 2nd half. But bloody hell the over reaction is just too full of entitlement.TS is trying to make Charlton a good fun place to enjoy and move on from all the shit, and yet people want to continue with negativity and moaning because it suits them.

I wasn't at the game because I am isolating so couldn't be there.  Having put thousands into the club over the past thirty years including best part of a grand on season ticket, valley gold I am entitled to have an opinion on someone coming in for 5 minutes and changing a mainstay tradition for a self imposed ego trip.   Was Curbishley's day today yet there is TS standing there garnering all the attention.

Do I think he is a bad bloke a'la Southall et el- no of course not.  Is he a dour balance sheet weirdo like Duchatelet- no.

And of course he has come in and stopped the club from potentially folding/ facing dire straights which we are of course all grateful for.   However, Duchatelet essentially did that to a degree.

What I really don't understand after the past 3 ownerships is how quickly Charlton fans seem to drop to their knees and hero- worship anyone who comes in.  Yes he is keeping the club going and has stopped us facing dire straights but that is a symptom of how fucked up modern football is- it doesn't mean they get carte blanche to do what they want or bastardise the traditions of our great club.

I will give TS the benefit of the doubt but I have great concerns that there may be a bit of emperor's clothes here.  I don't think he is a wrong un a'la Southall and Nimir but I do think he is perhaps very naïve about football and has massively underestimated what is required to progress a football club in the hugely competitive and pitfall- ridden English leagues.

I have concerns about how long the funding is sustainable, whether he has the funds or the appetite for the reality of the level of spend that is required to get out of this league and then try to even compete, let alone push on, in the Championship and nothing I;ve seen player recruitment wise so far has really given me much confidence in that department and we have started the season after a whole summer to prepare with right backs at left back and no bench. 

Yes this is a very negative and pessimistic outlook but after the last 3 years and seeing the lack of investment in the playing squad which under prior ownerships would likely have caused wider concern and raised further questions.

The bluster and pie in the sky talk of European football etc was a red flag that he didn't get it and whilst optimistic can do positivity has its place it won't get you goals against Accrington Stanley.

I really don't get how people are so quick to elevate new comers to legend status and the "Cult of Sandgaard" means that any of us voicing concerns or criticising things like the replacement of RRR with a vanity project. 

Don't forget we have put in £5m in season ticket sales so it's not all bankrolled and we are entitled to have a view even if it involves criticising or raising concerns about an owner who seems to have attained messianic status within 5 minutes of rocking up.

I've been following Charlton for 30 plus years through the lows and lows as most of us have and will continue to do so and will care more about it than any non- Charlton fan owner now or in future.

I want to be proved wrong and will happily swallow every word of the above if he delivers but until then whilst grateful he has stopped us going under and is funding us I reserve the right as a paying fan of 30 years to be reluctant to go nuts in on worshipping/ not criticising egotistical stuff like this poxy song.

Please just focus on building the football side of things and the accolades and praise will follow when they have been earnt.

Excellent post - this nails it
  • Stig said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Daddy_Pig said:
    New banner at the top incoming

"92% support RRR"
    Or new banner:

”It’s a silly poll…”
    I don’t really see why it’s a “silly poll”? Obviously Twitter isn’t a scientific survey, but surely it makes her case more compelling if she can go back to Sandgaard and say “90% of people responded on Twitter would prefer RRR when the players run out”?
    I genuinely have no idea why you would unilaterally decide to change the intro music which is part of the club's heritage.
    Neither do I, it was a very silly decision and I hope that our “Fan Advisor” is one of the many people telling Sandgaard so.

It doesn’t have to be a PR disaster, if he comes out and says “hands up, I got this wrong, I’m still learning about this great club and it’s traditions and I wasn’t aware of the significance of RRR and it will be restored to its rightful place at the next home match” I think most fans will be fine.

One shame of it is that I think the lyrics of RRR would have been even more poignant yesterday than they are normally.
    Ha ha, yes. Great spot @se9addick

Lols, like what you did there smudger
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    i have to say it’s all a bit much everyone getting precious over a song not being played for what may be a one off at a certain time, it was played while the ex players were introduced for the curbishley stand opening. I wonder how many on here that are up in arms, we’re actually at the game?, if you weren’t then don’t fix.;ng moan, because the bloke that put millions in was. God forbid someone trying something new and upsetting the traditionalists, they might  boycott or something. I agree The team should come out to RRR, and then ATR for the 2nd half. But bloody hell the over reaction is just too full of entitlement.TS is trying to make Charlton a good fun place to enjoy and move on from all the shit, and yet people want to continue with negativity and moaning because it suits them.

I wasn't at the game because I am isolating so couldn't be there.  Having put thousands into the club over the past thirty years including best part of a grand on season ticket, valley gold I am entitled to have an opinion on someone coming in for 5 minutes and changing a mainstay tradition for a self imposed ego trip.   Was Curbishley's day yesterday yet there is TS standing there garnering all the attention.

Do I think he is a bad bloke a'la Southall et el- no of course not.  Is he a dour balance sheet weirdo like Duchatelet- no.

And of course he has come in and stopped the club from potentially folding/ facing dire straights which we are of course all grateful for.   However, Duchatelet essentially did that to a degree.

What I really don't understand after the past 3 ownerships is how quickly Charlton fans seem to drop to their knees and hero- worship anyone who comes in.  Yes he is keeping the club going and has stopped us facing dire straights but that is a symptom of how fucked up modern football is- it doesn't mean they get carte blanche to do what they want or bastardise the traditions of our great club.

I will give TS the benefit of the doubt but I have great concerns that there may be a bit of emperor's clothes here.  I don't think he is a wrong un a'la Southall and Nimir but I do think he is perhaps very naïve about football and has massively underestimated what is required to progress a football club in the hugely competitive and pitfall- ridden English leagues.

I have concerns about how long the funding is sustainable, whether he has the funds or the appetite for the reality of the level of spend that is required to get out of this league and then try to even compete, let alone push on, in the Championship and nothing I;ve seen player recruitment wise so far has really given me much confidence in that department and we have started the season after a whole summer to prepare with right backs at left back and no bench. 

Yes this is a very negative and pessimistic outlook but after the last 3 owners and seeing the lack of investment in the playing squad which under prior ownerships would likely have caused wider concern and raised further questions.

The bluster and pie in the sky talk of European football etc was a red flag that he didn't get it and whilst optimistic can do positivity has its place it won't get you goals against Accrington Stanley.

I really don't get how people are so quick to elevate new comers to legend status and the "Cult of Sandgaard" means that any of us voicing concerns or criticising things like the replacement of RRR with a vanity project are frowned upon as miserable bastards (not to say that we aren't necessarily).

Don't forget we have put in £5m in season ticket sales so it's not all bankrolled and we are entitled to have a view even if it involves criticising or raising concerns about an owner who seems to have attained messianic status within 5 minutes of rocking up.

I've been following Charlton for 30 plus years through the lows and lows as most of us have and will continue to do so and will care more about it than any non- Charlton fan owner now or in future.

I want to be proved wrong and will happily swallow every word of the above if he delivers but until then whilst grateful he has stopped us going under and is funding us I reserve the right as a paying fan of 30 years to be reluctant to go nuts in on worshipping/ not criticising egotistical stuff like this poxy song.

Please just focus on building the football side of things and the accolades and praise will follow when they have been earnt.

Post of the week. 👏 👏 👏 
  • 3blokes said:
    Speaking as someone who’s been known to dabble in the football song genre on occasion, ( 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️) firstly I would say, good on him for giving it a go. I can’t think of any other club owner doing that, so it’s not the worst thing an owner could do imho. RD on the other hand danced whether we won or lost.
    Anyway, I think the ‘mistake’ yesterday was playing it at the wrong time. An emotional return to the Valley should have been accompanied by RRR as the team came out. Addicks to Victory could have slotted in comfortably alongside other songs routinely played at the start like Into the Valley, London Calling and VFR. He would have likely got some praise for his efforts.
    As for the song itself, it is really tricky to write a terrace anthem because you never quite know what will stick and get taken up by the crowd. My pennyworth on Addicks to Victory would be to focus on that line ‘Addicks to Victory’ right from the start, speed it up a bit, repeat it loads and make that the chant in the hope it catches on.👍🏻
    But really what do I know? 🤷‍♂️
    A few good results, some new players in, and it could be a feature.of the pre match or half time, And maybe he should sell it as a download for a fund raiser for a worthy Charlton cause?

Speaking as an "also appearing" (assuming you didn't edit me out completely) I think you just can't beat a bit of Billy Cotton.

Yesterday was a strangely nostalgic day. Do you remember that evening kick-off in Leeds where you, Dave and myself drove back through the city centre with the windows wound down playing "We sing much louder than you" as loud as the speakers could manage?
  • I couldn’t hear any of the Curbs stuff as all the noise around me in the Covered end. The yoofs just carried on singing through it! Fuming 
    disgrace RRR was dropped hopefully a One off 
  • What’s a typical yank?
    Over promises, under achieves, talks the talk doesn't walk the walk.

I know he is not a yank but lives there and acts like one.
  • paulfox said:

...Was Curbishley's day yesterday yet there is TS standing there garnering all the attention...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I wonder if yesterday was the best day for the Curbishley honour. Too many other things going on. Obviously, TS was going to want to lap up some adulation yesterday and it was also the first day back for quite some time. And the first day back without certain fans ever being there again. I think it may have been better to have waited a few weeks to honour Curbs.  
  • It was the only day for the honour as the stand has been named after him from this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• What’s a typical yank?
    Over promises, under achieves, talks the talk doesn't walk the walk.

I know he is not a yank but lives there and acts like one.
    I believe he holds one of those blue US passports. Whether or not he still holds a Danish one I don't know

• paulfox said:

I wasn't at the game because I am isolating so couldn't be there.  Having put thousands into the club over the past thirty years including best part of a grand on season ticket, valley gold I am entitled to have an opinion on someone coming in for 5 minutes and changing a mainstay tradition for a self imposed ego trip.   Was Curbishley's day yesterday yet there is TS standing there garnering all the attention.

Yes this is a very negative and pessimistic outlook but after the last 3 owners and seeing the lack of investment in the playing squad which under prior ownerships would likely have caused wider concern and raised further questions.

I really don't get how people are so quick to elevate new comers to legend status and the "Cult of Sandgaard" means that any of us voicing concerns or criticising things like the replacement of RRR with a vanity project are frowned upon as miserable bastards (not to say that we aren't necessarily).

Perhaps we should start to judge Sandgaard at the end of this season.
    Football is like the world we live in, people want everything now.  In football it does not work like that.  I was brought up on football from the late 70's, then you were given a contract and time.

Could not agree more.  That is essentially the point I am driving at.
  • Stig said:
    paulfox said:

...Was Curbishley's day yesterday yet there is TS standing there garnering all the attention...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I wonder if yesterday was the best day for the Curbishley honour. Too many other things going on. Obviously, TS was going to want to lap up some adulation yesterday and it was also the first day back for quite some time. And the first day back without certain fans ever being there again. I think it may have been better to have waited a few weeks to honour Curbs.  

Fair enough and perhaps I am being to harsh/ confirmation bias on the Curbishley day thing.
  • It was the only day for the honour as the stand has been named after him from this season.
    Not necessarily. Could have covered up the name and made a big thing of the unveiling. Costly I'll grant you, but far more of a show. Alternatively just ignore the fact that the name was up there, it's quite a regular thing for official ceremonies to take place a while after name plates and the like are in place for very obvious practical reasons.
  • What’s a typical yank?

• seth plum said:
    The poll is on Twitter or Facebook or whatever it is, so it excludes the thousands of Charlton fans who don’t have those things.
    This kind of creeping cultural apartheid is commonplace sadly, for those who do not wish to enrich those companies or have the competence to use those things.
    Either way the RRR is in my opinion sacrosanct.
    not the thread for this type of discussion but i completely agree and you have given me a way to explain it to others with the phrase "cultural apartheid"