Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaards ego can do one (Ed. And it has for now)

Comments

• Leuth said:
    PWR

What a fucking bunch we are eh
    Not really. I genuinely don’t know what people expect. These are comment forums for people to express, share and discuss their views. Some things will be fact, other things will be praising, critical, positive, negative, hopeful, dismissive etc. It’s the whole concept of having a view and sharing it.

I think some people now have a default setting that they are instantly going to kick back to any view expressed that is potentially critical or negative (and I don’t think that’s unique to Charlton).

As others have said, if Sandgaard had bought (for example) Millwall, West Ham or Everton and their fans turned up yesterday to have Let Em Come,  Bubbles or Z Cars replaced by their owners vanity project, im fairly sure the reaction would be even stronger than ours.

Just because some people like a moan it doesn’t mean that everything they moan about should be dismissed. 
    I turned up. I heard A2V, RRR, LC and VFR before kickoff. It didn't occur to me that anything had been replaced. 
  • edited August 2021
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    PWR

Not really. I genuinely don’t know what people expect. These are comment forums for people to express, share and discuss their views. Some things will be fact, other things will be praising, critical, positive, negative, hopeful, dismissive etc. It’s the whole concept of having a view and sharing it.

I think some people now have a default setting that they are instantly going to kick back to any view expressed that is potentially critical or negative (and I don’t think that’s unique to Charlton).

As others have said, if Sandgaard had bought (for example) Millwall, West Ham or Everton and their fans turned up yesterday to have Let Em Come,  Bubbles or Z Cars replaced by their owners vanity project, im fairly sure the reaction would be even stronger than ours.

Just because some people like a moan it doesn’t mean that everything they moan about should be dismissed. 
    I turned up. I heard A2V, RRR, LC and VFR before kickoff. It didn't occur to me that anything had been replaced. 
    Just to be clear, RRR was replaced as the music to which the team walk out to by A2V.
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    PWR

Just to be clear, RRR was replaced as the music to which the team walk out by A2V.
    Honestly didn't notice! Teach me to turn up all loved-up and not paying attention
  • Since I’ve been on this forum we’ve had a few discussions about replacing RRR because it’s naff & outdated. And there are some who want it gone.

I’ve always loved it & would never want it replaced permanently.

I was listening to my Bruvs comms & when I heard RRR being played when the Curbishley Stand stuff was being done I knew then that A2V would be played as the players came out. The only surprise was TS wasn’t at the front of them playing along.

Hopefully RRR will be back where it belongs now.

And then TS will still get pelters over something else, as it just seems the norm tbh.
  • Sponsored links:

• And it’s nice to know the PA system in the Covered End is still pants.
    Some traditions are still there 🙄🤣🤣🤣
  • Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    PWR

Just to be clear, RRR was replaced as the music to which the team walk out by A2V.
    Honestly didn't notice! Teach me to turn up all loved-up and not paying attention
    Have you got a girlfriend? You've not mentioned it.
    Does she do write ups of football matches?
  • The amount of knicker twisting from our fans at the moment is getting really old. Every single little thing the club does is treated like it’s the worst thing that has ever happened.

Yes TS is an eccentric owner who clearly wants to try different things to engage the fan base and grow that fan base, will all those things work? Definitely not. Has he given us any reason to think he won’t listen to fans when concerns are voiced? Again absolutely not.

We run the risk of coming across as a really entitled fan base when we scream and shout at every tiny thing. 
    Are people screaming and shouting, or are they simply voicing their concerns, so that TS can listen to them as you - and I - have every confidence he will?
  • paulfox said:
    i have to say it’s all a bit much everyone getting precious over a song not being played for what may be a one off at a certain time, it was played while the ex players were introduced for the curbishley stand opening. I wonder how many on here that are up in arms, we’re actually at the game?, if you weren’t then don’t fix.;ng moan, because the bloke that put millions in was. God forbid someone trying something new and upsetting the traditionalists, they might  boycott or something. I agree The team should come out to RRR, and then ATR for the 2nd half. But bloody hell the over reaction is just too full of entitlement.TS is trying to make Charlton a good fun place to enjoy and move on from all the shit, and yet people want to continue with negativity and moaning because it suits them.

I wasn't at the game because I am isolating so couldn't be there.  Having put thousands into the club over the past thirty years including best part of a grand on season ticket, valley gold I am entitled to have an opinion on someone coming in for 5 minutes and changing a mainstay tradition for a self imposed ego trip.   Was Curbishley's day yesterday yet there is TS standing there garnering all the attention.

Do I think he is a bad bloke a'la Southall et el- no of course not.  Is he a dour balance sheet weirdo like Duchatelet- no.

And of course he has come in and stopped the club from potentially folding/ facing dire straights which we are of course all grateful for.   However, Duchatelet essentially did that to a degree.

What I really don't understand after the past 3 ownerships is how quickly Charlton fans seem to drop to their knees and hero- worship anyone who comes in.  Yes he is keeping the club going and has stopped us facing dire straights but that is a symptom of how fucked up modern football is- it doesn't mean they get carte blanche to do what they want or bastardise the traditions of our great club.

I will give TS the benefit of the doubt but I have great concerns that there may be a bit of emperor's clothes here.  I don't think he is a wrong un a'la Southall and Nimir but I do think he is perhaps very naïve about football and has massively underestimated what is required to progress a football club in the hugely competitive and pitfall- ridden English leagues.

I have concerns about how long the funding is sustainable, whether he has the funds or the appetite for the reality of the level of spend that is required to get out of this league and then try to even compete, let alone push on, in the Championship and nothing I;ve seen player recruitment wise so far has really given me much confidence in that department and we have started the season after a whole summer to prepare with right backs at left back and no bench. 

Yes this is a very negative and pessimistic outlook but after the last 3 owners and seeing the lack of investment in the playing squad which under prior ownerships would likely have caused wider concern and raised further questions.

The bluster and pie in the sky talk of European football etc was a red flag that he didn't get it and whilst optimistic can do positivity has its place it won't get you goals against Accrington Stanley.

I really don't get how people are so quick to elevate new comers to legend status and the "Cult of Sandgaard" means that any of us voicing concerns or criticising things like the replacement of RRR with a vanity project are frowned upon as miserable bastards (not to say that we aren't necessarily).

Don't forget we have put in £5m in season ticket sales so it's not all bankrolled and we are entitled to have a view even if it involves criticising or raising concerns about an owner who seems to have attained messianic status within 5 minutes of rocking up.

I've been following Charlton for 30 plus years through the lows and lows as most of us have and will continue to do so and will care more about it than any non- Charlton fan owner now or in future.

I want to be proved wrong and will happily swallow every word of the above if he delivers but until then whilst grateful he has stopped us going under and is funding us I reserve the right as a paying fan of 30 years to be reluctant to go nuts in on worshipping/ not criticising egotistical stuff like this poxy song.

Please just focus on building the football side of things and the accolades and praise will follow when they have been earnt.

I've been thinking this since he came in. If we had made loads of great signings i would get the hero worshipping.
  • Belv said:
    Amazed that people believe this was only supposed to be a one off to be honest.

If the plan was always to just play it whilst the teams are in the tunnel or immediately after the RRR then that is what would have happened yesterday. Makes no sense to have the teams come out to it as a one off unless it’s never played again. 
    It's equally amazing just how many people know for a fact that this was going to be a new tradition. 
  • edited August 2021
    No shine166 said:
    Belv said:
    Amazed that people believe this was only supposed to be a one off to be honest.

If the plan was always to just play it whilst the teams are in the tunnel or immediately after the RRR then that is what would have happened yesterday. Makes no sense to have the teams come out to it as a one off unless it’s never played again. 
    It's equally amazing just how many people know for a fact that this was going to be a new tradition. 
    It’s not a fact but logically, everything points towards the idea that this is/was supposed to be a permanent thing as makes very little (no) sense to have done it yesterday otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    I have to respect that RRR means something to the majority of fans. For me, I have never cared for it because it is naff IMO. If I owned the club, I wouldn't get rid of it unless there was a call from the fans to do so. I have to say, I think Sandgaard's song is a bit naff too. I am more interested in us having a good team even though traditionally, that isn't usually the case. That is a tradition I could break with.

• I haven't said we should drop it. We shouldn't but being critical, I think the three you have mentioned are better football songs/tunes.
  • I have to respect that RRR means something to the majority of fans. For me, I have never cared for it because it is naff IMO. If I owned the club, I wouldn't get rid of it unless there was a call from the fans to do so. I have to say, I think Sandgaard's song is a bit naff too. I am more interested in us having a good team even though traditionally, that isn't usually the case. That is a tradition I could break with.

Agreed! 
  • edited August 2021
    I think what he is doing for the ladies team is great. Different people generally say different things, unless the squad spending so far was brilliant and most would be happy with him doing a naked lap of honour.