Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaards ego can do one (Ed. And it has for now)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head. Didn't we used to sing that years ago, or did I dream it?
  • Stig said:
    With the greatest respect, it’s a silly poll 
    Just what I was thinking. Just asking this question is disconcerting, and almost insulting.

I think we need a fans advisor advisor.

The Red Red Robin is not any song. It has a beautiful message. I can't think of many other clubs' songs that really match it's beauty.
    You'll Never Walk Alone, yes
    Blue Moon comes close.

Any other candidates? Fancy a poll on that?
    I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts.
    Tell me more.
  • Croydon said:
    Change the entrance song at any club in this country for an owner's own song, and there would be uproar. Does make me laugh that some on here think a moaning fanbase is something exclusive to Charlton. 

And a moaning fanbase can be heard and listened to.
    Cardiff supporters kicked up enough stink to get their home shirts changed back to blue after the nonsense of changing it to red.
    Whatever happened to the Hull Tigers?
  • edited August 2021
    Who gives a fuck about palace or Millwall. We are a totally different club over the last 7 years, things have changed for the better. We’ve come out the other side due to the investment of one man. Let him show off. I’m sure the next home game will be back to normal.
    Probably in some part to the backlash the decision has gotten though. Like when they trialled goal music during pre season 🤢
  • Croydon said:
    Who gives a fuck about palace or Millwall. We are a totally different club over the last 7 years, things have changed for the better. We’ve come out the other side due to the investment of one man. Let him show off. I’m sure the next home game will be back to normal.
    Probably in some part to the backlash the decision has gotten though. Like when they trialled goal music during pre season 🤢
    We trialled goal music??
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone know if the Red Red Robin hasn’t been played before yesterday as the players come out in 40 / 50 odd years! 
    And why weren’t we warned ????
    I think from the reaction we know why we weren’t warned!
  • edited August 2021
    What’s a typical yank?
    Over promises, under achieves, talks the talk doesn't walk the walk.

I know he is not a yank but lives there and acts like one.

Total Garbage, what is this based on ? Have a look at Boris Johnson he's the pin up boy for over promise under deliver along with the rest of his cabinet and they're as British as you can get. Well, Boris is a 'yank' sort of. 

I agree he's got a bit of an ego and replacing RRR with some rock nonsense is not on. However, I think it's got sweet FA to do with the fact he lives in the States.

Total Garbage, what is this based on ? Have a look at Boris Johnson he's the pin up boy for over promise under deliver along with the rest of his cabinet and they're as British as you can get. Well, Boris is a 'yank' sort of. 

I agree he's got a bit of an ego and replacing RRR with some rock nonsense is not on. However, I think it's got sweet FA to do with the fact he lives in the States.
  • edited August 2021
    paulfox said:
    i have to say it’s all a bit much everyone getting precious over a song not being played for what may be a one off at a certain time, it was played while the ex players were introduced for the curbishley stand opening. I wonder how many on here that are up in arms, we’re actually at the game?, if you weren’t then don’t fix.;ng moan, because the bloke that put millions in was. God forbid someone trying something new and upsetting the traditionalists, they might  boycott or something. I agree The team should come out to RRR, and then ATR for the 2nd half. But bloody hell the over reaction is just too full of entitlement.TS is trying to make Charlton a good fun place to enjoy and move on from all the shit, and yet people want to continue with negativity and moaning because it suits them.

I wasn't at the game because I am isolating so couldn't be there.  Having put thousands into the club over the past thirty years including best part of a grand on season ticket, valley gold I am entitled to have an opinion on someone coming in for 5 minutes and changing a mainstay tradition for a self imposed ego trip.   Was Curbishley's day yesterday yet there is TS standing there garnering all the attention.

Do I think he is a bad bloke a'la Southall et el- no of course not.  Is he a dour balance sheet weirdo like Duchatelet- no.

And of course he has come in and stopped the club from potentially folding/ facing dire straights which we are of course all grateful for.   However, Duchatelet essentially did that to a degree.

What I really don't understand after the past 3 ownerships is how quickly Charlton fans seem to drop to their knees and hero- worship anyone who comes in.  Yes he is keeping the club going and has stopped us facing dire straights but that is a symptom of how fucked up modern football is- it doesn't mean they get carte blanche to do what they want or bastardise the traditions of our great club.

I will give TS the benefit of the doubt but I have great concerns that there may be a bit of emperor's clothes here.  I don't think he is a wrong un a'la Southall and Nimir but I do think he is perhaps very naïve about football and has massively underestimated what is required to progress a football club in the hugely competitive and pitfall- ridden English leagues.

I have concerns about how long the funding is sustainable, whether he has the funds or the appetite for the reality of the level of spend that is required to get out of this league and then try to even compete, let alone push on, in the Championship and nothing I;ve seen player recruitment wise so far has really given me much confidence in that department and we have started the season after a whole summer to prepare with right backs at left back and no bench. 

Yes this is a very negative and pessimistic outlook but after the last 3 owners and seeing the lack of investment in the playing squad which under prior ownerships would likely have caused wider concern and raised further questions.

The bluster and pie in the sky talk of European football etc was a red flag that he didn't get it and whilst optimistic can do positivity has its place it won't get you goals against Accrington Stanley.

I really don't get how people are so quick to elevate new comers to legend status and the "Cult of Sandgaard" means that any of us voicing concerns or criticising things like the replacement of RRR with a vanity project are frowned upon as miserable bastards (not to say that we aren't necessarily).

Don't forget we have put in £5m in season ticket sales so it's not all bankrolled and we are entitled to have a view even if it involves criticising or raising concerns about an owner who seems to have attained messianic status within 5 minutes of rocking up.

I've been following Charlton for 30 plus years through the lows and lows as most of us have and will continue to do so and will care more about it than any non- Charlton fan owner now or in future.

I want to be proved wrong and will happily swallow every word of the above if he delivers but until then whilst grateful he has stopped us going under and is funding us I reserve the right as a paying fan of 30 years to be reluctant to go nuts in on worshipping/ not criticising egotistical stuff like this poxy song.

Please just focus on building the football side of things and the accolades and praise will follow when they have been earnt.

I've been thinking this since he came in. If we had made loads of great signings i would get the hero worshipping.
    Of course it’s great that he bought the club when our situation was really precarious, but worth remembering he didn’t buy the club for our sakes, he bought it because he could somehow see value. Both in the financial sense and in the sense that it would be an opportunity to indulge his passion. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But he should know that as a customer base we’re nothing like cinema goers, and it’s not going to be a totally smooth ride if the five year plan goes too far awry. Not speaking personally though. Me, I’d be happy in the Championship for five or six years if there was a progressive feel about the club, and it felt like we were moving in the right direction. Stuck in League One for a few more years and I’d be very restless, as I’m sure we all would. 
  • Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head. Didn't we used to sing that years ago, or did I dream it?
    Stoke sing it about bread 
  • Ok I’m gonna put my hands up here and say I actually missed the start because of traffic. I’ve just gone through Mendez tweets and the song has really grown on me and I actually enjoyed it haha. Also think it’s spectacular the blokes walked on the pitch with his guitar and is just walking about strumming and kicking a ball. 

Like please sit back and compare that to the shit owners out there. Ok tradition etc but this bloke is a character. Happy for the song to stay but so must RRR. Addicks to victory really does sound decent on the speakers 

https://twitter.com/louismend/status/1424004613146021899?s=21

https://twitter.com/louismend/status/1424045272796221440?s=21

• Croydon said:
    We trialled goal music??
    I guess we are yet to discover if it's been brought in this season. Perhaps our shot shy performance yesterday was a player protest against goal music.
  • edited August 2021
  • I don’t get your point. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    We trialled goal music??
    Yes mate, unfortunately so. Was one of the very few times I've gone to a pre season game at The Valley. Can't remember who it was against, or when it was, I just remember being disgusted.
  • I think "Sandgaarding" could possibly make it into the OED at some point.

If "Ratnering" is telling the world that all your product is crap when it is actually reasonably good. Then "Sandgaarding" is telling the whole world ("we will storm this league next season ")  and even writing awful songs about it (!) that your fairly unremarkable team ... are all superstars!!

I told my colleagues that my son will walk through his post-graduate studies. They said "But isn't your son only 12 years old?'
    I said "Yes, but he WILL get excellent GCSEs A Levels and a 1st class honours degree in the years to come and ....". 

Alas, I was "Sandgaarding". 
  • edited August 2021
    Only just catching up with this so apologies if already said

TS pretending to play the guitar yesterday no problem

TS taking over RRR big problem

Its not like we are cringey with goal music like the spanners but tradition is everything in football so hopefully someone has a word and when we stroll out in front of 4000 on Tuesday all is good again
    That goal music lasted less than a season and got scrapped because of the uproar from the fans. 

• Just wait until we play Wycombe, Gary Ainsworth is gonna walk onto the pitch as a guitar duo with Thomas. 

I’ve completely done a u-turn, the blokes fascinating. He’s spent 50+ mill on us and thought ‘bollocks, I am just gonna play my guitar’. 

Cannot wait for our next clean sheet win 

would be absolutely superb shithousery if every time we scored Sandgaard did a jog to the Jimmy Seed and played a quick riff/solo at the travelling fans, that’s something I could get behind 
    Has he?
  • Just wait until we play Wycombe, Gary Ainsworth is gonna walk onto the pitch as a guitar duo with Thomas. 

I’ve completely done a u-turn, the blokes fascinating. He’s spent 50+ mill on us and thought ‘bollocks, I am just gonna play my guitar’. 

Cannot wait for our next clean sheet win 

would be absolutely superb shithousery if every time we scored Sandgaard did a jog to the Jimmy Seed and played a quick riff/solo at the travelling fans, that’s something I could get behind 
    50 million?
    I think Roland wants about 40 million  for the valley and sparrows lane. 
    If and when Sandgaard buys them he may well of spent 50 million. 
    At the moment he has spent nowhere near.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head. Didn't we used to sing that years ago, or did I dream it?
    Stoke sing it about bread 
    Ah the nice breads!