Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaards ego can do one (Ed. And it has for now)

Comments

• I'll say one thing in defence of TS.
    He's had months of fans tweeting him and encouraging his music, saying how great it is and could he play on the pitch, right up until recently when he announced it would come to fruition.
    Then all of sudden the mood changed to no thanks that's naff.

It's not only his music, what about the ladies team.
    What will you be doing for the ladies team was asked of TS.
    He does something positive and then the mood is he's helping the women but not doing enough for the men

I could go on :smile:

I know it's different people saying different things, but the bloke must be a bit perplexed.
    He needs a decent UK based MD / CEO that has a link to the club, understands its principles and its traditions, and who has done a similar role before. If only there was a decent candidate....
    Yes and my mates and I were discussing this yesterday.
  • I am minded that the club made a conscious effort to move away from being known as the Robins and adopted the sword emblem reportedly to appeal to city types with more cash. Before my time as a fan so excuse any of that which is incorrect. The sword emblem has become part and parcel of our club and if somebody suggested we got rid and re-adopted our badge with the robin on it, it wouldn't go down too well I suspect. Not with me anyway, as I have a tattoo of the current badge :)
  • When it first came out , I absolutely hated TS song , too palacey, to American , clean sheet win , what planets he on!!

Now I chuckle at some of the worlds and wish he’d asked a second opinion, but I absolutely love the guitar rifts.

The fact that he’s bothered to write ( or get someone to write a song for us) shows his hearts in the right place.

Still expecting him to pull off a face mask and it to be Roland underneath!
    Scooby style lol😂
  • Anyone know if the Red Red Robin hasn’t been played before yesterday as the players come out in 40 / 50 odd years! 
    And why weren’t we warned ????
  • If we were to get to the papa johns final, we'd be the first club in the history of the competition to release a cup final song..............
  • What on earth is happening to this forum?
    There seems to be lots of negativity across many threads much of it aimed at TS.
    This bloke has come in and done something no one on here could do, he has saved us from potential extinction! Yes he is somewhat enthusiastic but why shouldn't he be, he has so far spent circa £10m of his OWN money. 
    That money spent has given us a club to still support, a Covered End to fill, football games to watch and a chance to dream of much bigger things to come.
    Yet he gets called for not investing in the squad, although we have been told more players are to come, he gets called for making statements about blowing this league before a game had been played and now he is getting called for writing a song about our club and playing it instead of RRR at his first game at a rocking Valley!
    We have no idea if it's permanent (dumping RRR) my guess is that's it's not,  we still have 3 weeks of transfer window open, so again we need to see who else joins and, if we do win promotion next May, it's his money and NA's nounce that would have got us there (along with a little luck)!
    Let's just see what pans out before knocking everything, my old man used to say "be thankful for what you have, as many others don't have anything" and in this case I think of Bury FC!

I wonder how many Bury fans said "Let's just see what pans out".
    So you're comparing TS to the group that deliberately took Bury to the wall.
    Sorry, but you need to take a deep breath and realise that you're getting carried away (like I do as well).
    I'm doing no such thing - they are clearly a million miles apart. My point is that CEOs / owners don't have freedom to do what they want whilst they are holding the reins (and frankly that is all any owner is doing - why they do it I haven't a clue because in 90% of cases it's a road to ruin, but you go in with your eyes wide open..). Because they don't have freedom to do what they want, it's essential that they are held to account on everything. We, perhaps more than anyone, should never "see how things pan out", irrespective of how benevolent we believe someone to be. Sacrificing RRR isn't the end of Charlton, but it potentially demonstrates a lack of understanding about the club, and that has left us up shit creek before. Its just such a shame that this happened (and was allowed to happen) when there are so many good things to shout about.
  • For those saying RRR is outdated.

What next - Liverpool drop YNWA? Man City drop Blue Moon? Everton drop Z cars?

I heard when the spanner’s trialled the theme tune to The Sweeney the ground emptied in seconds 🤷‍♂️😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing new to add, just confirmation that RRR is integral to Charlton. It is worrying that TS does not recognise that.
    not too much of a problem in the North Stand as the tannoy is so useless you can hear nothing but a distorted boom.
    RRR is important but having a solid base to a squad going to challenge for success is essential. 
    I have a rather worrying urge to think we maybe have another that sees CAFC as a play thing.
    i hope and want to be wrong.
  • Interesting but boring fact Red Red Robin was written by Harry Wood in 1926, a tin pan alley composer, it's been recorded amongst others by Al Jolson, Doris Day and Louis Armstrong. All American incidentally. 
  • I’m watching Leigh v Hull KR & the Hull KR fans are actually singing RRR during the game.
    Its also their song & gets played as their players come out at home.
    But their fans positively embrace it, sing it a lot.
    I even joined in with a solitary KR fan in a pub at Old Trafford when he sang it amongst a crowd of Hull FC fans 🤣🤣
    Perhaps if we actually embraced it more?????
    I was thinking the same today. Has it ever been sung by the crowd? I can't remember hearing it.
  • I’m watching Leigh v Hull KR & the Hull KR fans are actually singing RRR during the game.
    Its also their song & gets played as their players come out at home.
    But their fans positively embrace it, sing it a lot.
    I even joined in with a solitary KR fan in a pub at Old Trafford when he sang it amongst a crowd of Hull FC fans 🤣🤣
    Perhaps if we actually embraced it more?????
    I was thinking the same today. Has it ever been sung by the crowd? I can't remember hearing it.

It was at Wembley after the game finished.  However, that's the only time I can remember it. It may have done against Portsmouth in 1992.
  • Sponsored links:

• He could have been playing Voodoo chile for all we would have known at the back of the Covered End. The sound system is that bad.
  • edited August 2021
    He could have been playing Voodoo chile for all we would have known at the back of the Covered End. The sound system is that bad.
    Not that much better in The Curbs stand
  • There is something quaint and reassuring about RRR and the traditionalist in me would be sad if it were ditched completely.
    Having said that, I would be a hypocrite if I didn't admit there have been times over the years when I've wished it were replaced with something more rousing and contemporary.
    RRR always seemed too "plucky little Charlton".
    Back in the Prem years I tried to imagine using Into the Valley with a few lyrical rewrites.
    For my part, I just think Tommy's song is shit, so hopefully back to RRR next time  :)
  • With the greatest respect, it’s a silly poll 
    Just what I was thinking. Just asking this question is disconcerting, and almost insulting.

I think we need a fans advisor advisor.

The Red Red Robin is not any song. It has a beautiful message. I can't think of many other clubs' songs that really match it's beauty.
    You'll Never Walk Alone, yes
    Blue Moon comes close.

Any other candidates? Fancy a poll on that?
    I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts.