Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaards ego can do one (Ed. And it has for now)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    johnny73 said:
    Just glad we still have a club!
    Just let him do whatever he likes then? 
    Actually if one owns something it's the owners prerogative to do such things within the bounds of decency etc.
    For me our history and traditions are covenants that any owner must abide by, that’s non-negotiable.

Ultimately this mess can be resolved very easily without any lasting damage and actually Sandgaard might learn from it so could be a good thing in the long run. 
  • I feel very uncomfortable regarding people using the words vanity and ego.
    Without knowing the man, I honestly can’t tell if either of those features played a huge part in this episode.
    As someone who has done a few somewhat bizarre things in my life which have impacted on others, I have a different view on it. I just wanted others to enjoy my actions, that sometimes didn’t work out but ego and vanity didn’t really play much of a part in it. 
    He may just have wanted ‘everyone’ to simply enjoy it and be as excited as he did, through one of his great loves and passions in life, his music.
    We know he’s something of an extrovert and that’s fine by me, though extroverts can be a bit OTT for some of us famously reserved Brits.
    Having said that, it certainly was a mistake to have replaced RRR.
    What part any ego and vanity levels played in this…..Mmmmm I am not sure.
    That’s a very fair post @SoundAsa£

I used the vanity word but suspect you are correct 
  • johnny73 said:
    Could have said that under Duchateley.
  • Previously the tannoys were so bad that you could barely hear RRR before the match
  • The music thing, whilst traditions are important , and i want RRR back , i was not outraged as some, as i was just pleased to be back inside a football ground, i'm more concerned about the depth and quality of our first team squad being strengthened at the moment.

Which if we don't get the targets required , will mean another if not a few more seasons in League 1.

Maybe it will take a few seasons to get out of this division, baring in mid , we have virtually been run into the ground, and have few promising saleable assets , to put the club on an even keel ( no not Floyd and Harvey)

This is an 'easy win' for Thomas , bring the music back , says , yep i didn't mean to upset any one , everyone s a winner , and we can move on to moan about something else!
  • ...Play it at the next league home game and see how many of our support actually sing it. I sit in the NWQ and sometime I can barely hear myself singing it because the Covered end do not...

Is it really important to the majority of our support?  Obviously not and recognise that I would have to give way to the majority of the support who don't sing it...

Will they sing it if it reinstated? Maybe once  but then no, because it is an anachronism to many of our support with its dated words and emotions. It's words speak of a percieved  idillyic past and reflect  what it is.

Maybe Thomas should have tried a rearrangement of Billy Cotton version, but the screams would have been the same.

Addicks to Victory was a good attempt by TS to bring a different culture, partly American influenced, into the club and he will undoubtedly feel hurt by the criticism he has faced on social media. To the keyboard warriors who have dissed him out of turn on twitter and the like, I would recommend that they learn from history what bad owners are really like.

TS seems to me to be a good owner, spending wisely in this league, attending matches, joining in with much of the spirit of the club. If he was driven by ego, then there would have been many more changes and we would have been told to suck it up, much in the manner of RD and KM.

Simply, if you want RRR then sing it, but dont complain if you dont sing it and someone concludes that it is an unwanted anachronism. If the 3,000 fans that have voted for it had actually sung it then it would have been obvious to TS that it was of importance.

Rant over.
    I'm sure there are many in the North Upper who would like to hear it sung properly. If you go in there and take a look around you will see people singing along. Not belting it out as a crowd, but silently mouthing along with the words to a song that is very important to them. It's not their fault that the drummers can't park their egos for 90 seconds, and their love for our tradition shouldn't be judged on the fact that their voices cannot be heard.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    I feel very uncomfortable regarding people using the words vanity and ego.
    Without knowing the man, I honestly can’t tell if either of those features played a huge part in this episode.
    As someone who has done a few somewhat bizarre things in my life which have impacted on others, I have a different view on it. I just wanted others to enjoy my actions, that sometimes didn’t work out but ego and vanity didn’t really play much of a part in it. 
    He may just have wanted ‘everyone’ to simply enjoy it and be as excited as he did, through one of his great loves and passions in life, his music.
    We know he’s something of an extrovert and that’s fine by me, though extroverts can be a bit OTT for some of us famously reserved Brits.
    What’s the most bizarre thing you’ve done?!!
    One I can remember was when flying out to Italy with some pals about 30 years back I picked up the passenger cabin intercom and announced……”Thank you for flying with us today. In a few moments our flight attendants will be coming amongst you…..but don’t worry it comes off with a stiff brush.”

Tough crowd?
  • I feel very uncomfortable regarding people using the words vanity and ego.
    That’s a very fair post @SoundAsa£

I used the vanity word but suspect you are correct 
    Do I get a promote?
  • se9addick said:
    I feel very uncomfortable regarding people using the words vanity and ego.
    What’s the most bizarre thing you’ve done?!!
    One I can remember was when flying out to Italy with some pals about 30 years back I picked up the passenger cabin intercom and announced……”Thank you for flying with us today. In a few moments our flight attendants will be coming amongst you…..but don’t worry it comes off with a stiff brush.”

Tough crowd?
    Mixed…….but my pals were hysterical with laughter.
    A few others plus cabin crew not at all amused.
  • We arrived late on Saturday so we missed the pre-match stuff.

Sean Clare says this on the OS:

"It was a bit surreal for me. Growing up as a kid I was watching people walk out to Red, Red Robin so when I heard it in the warm-up it was a bit surreal."

I'm confused.  Was RRR played or not?

Or is the issue that it was played, but at the wrong time?
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    johnny73 said:
    Just let him do whatever he likes then? 
    Actually if one owns something it's the owners prerogative to do such things within the bounds of decency etc.
    For me our history and traditions are covenants that any owner must abide by, that’s non-negotiable.

Ultimately this mess can be resolved very easily without any lasting damage and actually Sandgaard might learn from it so could be a good thing in the long run. 
    A better song than RRR or Sandgaard song is Valley Floyd Road.   Most football songs are crap, My my my Delilah really is awful and where is the connection there. 

However the tune played to Sheffield United at the start of the 2nd half is really rousing. Don't remember it at the start though. I look forward to seeing Thomas play at The Valley with The Who .
    Legend has it that it started in the 70s when Alex Harvey played a concert at the old Victoria Ground.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    We arrived late on Saturday so we missed the pre-match stuff.

"It was a bit surreal for me. Growing up as a kid I was watching people walk out to Red, Red Robin so when I heard it in the warm-up it was a bit surreal."

It was played about 20 mins before KO when introducing former players 
  • Dave Rudd said:

it was played but earlier, not when the teams were coming out as per usual.
  • Stig said:
    ...Radio London DJ Robert Elms book “London Made Us” chapter 7  “Leaving Home” explains what has happened toLondoners who have moved out and how returning on match days reconnects them to their manor and past...
    I think this is a massively important point and not just for the people who left home, but second, third, fourth generation leavers as well. I've never lived nearer than 30 miles to The Valley, but hearing The Red Red Robin takes me back to a time when I was taken there as a kid. It connects me to my dad and to happy memories of going to the game by him. Apart from that song and the red shirts, there's very little tangible stuff that connects the experience of going to The Valley fifty years ago with the experience of going now. The people are different, the game is different in many ways, even the ground is different. Sure it's still called The Valley and it's still in the same location, but it's not the same structure nor has it got the same facilities (thankfully). That song is the same though; always giving consistency to the occasion, always acting as a thread connecting us with our personal and collective heritages. The Red Red Robin is the vital ingredient in our pre-match build up precisely because it evokes memories of times past. A new song, by its very nature, cannot do that. Only when they become old, do songs gain that psychological hold over us. Only then can they connect the past with the present. So The Red Red Robin not just a silly little song that a minority of the youth don't like because it's not cool or trendy enough for them, it's an essential ingredient in what makes us Charlton. I still think there can be a part for Addicks to Victory in the match build up, but it should not replace our heritage.   
    I so wish I could like this more than once.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Dave Rudd said:

It was played about 20 mins before KO when introducing former players 
    Perfect time for A2V, RRR is final pre-match track.
  • Agh just worked out what A2v stands for , thought it was a diversion for coming up the A2!
  • The RRR is a Charlton institution which has largely been ignored in recent years. When it has been played, before last Saturday, and there have been crowds in, it has not been sung by the fans, with the Covered End usually belting out Valley Floyd Road to drown out RRR. Suddenly, because it was dropped, it has become sacred again. Play it at the next league home game and see how many of our support actually sing it. I sit in the NWQ and sometime I can barely hear myself singing it because the Covered end do not.

Yes, it has meaning for me since it was played at home when I was a small child.

Is it sacrosanct to me as part of my match day? Yes.

Is it really important to the majority of our support?  Obviously not and recognise that I would have to give way to the majority of the support who don't sing it.

Do people vote in favour of keeping it?  Yes, because it is tradition and most people hate change.

Will they sing it if it reinstated? Maybe once  but then no, because it is an anachronism to many of our support with its dated words and emotions. It's words speak of a percieved  idillyic past and reflect  what it is.

Maybe Thomas should have tried a rearrangement of Billy Cotton version, but the screams would have been the same.

Addicks to Victory was a good attempt by TS to bring a different culture, partly American influenced, into the club and he will undoubtedly feel hurt by the criticism he has faced on social media. To the keyboard warriors who have dissed him out of turn on twitter and the like, I would recommend that they learn from history what bad owners are really like.

TS seems to me to be a good owner, spending wisely in this league, attending matches, joining in with much of the spirit of the club. If he was driven by ego, then there would have been many more changes and we would have been told to suck it up, much in the manner of RD and KM.

Simply, if you want RRR then sing it, but dont complain if you dont sing it and someone concludes that it is an unwanted anachronism. If the 3,000 fans that have voted for it had actually sung it then it would have been obvious to TS that it was of importance.

Rant over.
    Validating the walkout music by measuring the number of fans that sing it is a nonsense argument.

Do you think 3,000 fans will sing A2V?

I don't think many people have ever sung RRR, but it is a part of our tradition, is clearly valued by the majority, and it was an error of judgement to remove it.
    Not validating it by measuring the number that sing but heaaring the number that sing over it and drown it out. I doubt that many fans would even bother to learn the words to A2V but that was not my point.
  • If we absolutely must play ATV then I think it should be after RRR, after handshakes as the players run to clap the fans, get in a huddle etc.
  • Belv said:
    If we absolutely must play ATV then I think it should be after RRR, after handshakes as the players run to clap the fans, get in a huddle etc.
    Maybe that
    Or as they come out for 2nd half - a booster for all 
  • Uboat said:
    We need a name for a thread where everything has been said and there is nothing new to add, yet it still rumbles on. 
    A circumbobulation?