Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaards ego can do one (Ed. And it has for now)

Comments

• Red, Red Robin is OUR song and connects all of us to OUR club and OUR ground and it should not be messed about with.

I am not easily moved to tears but if you put a grainy video on of our greatest players, Bartram, Welsh et al and that big band version of Red, Red Robin then I will be shedding tears instantly.

Why? Simple, because hearing that song at The Valley on a cold winter’s afternoon with the teams running out triggers something deep inside that explains why we turn up at 3PM every fortnight whether in the Premier League or League One, it’s that sense of belonging to something greater than ourselves.

Charlton Athletic is NOT just a football club, it’s not just eleven blokes running out at The Valley, it’s all of us, all of our collective memories and emotions bundled together and inextricably linked forever.

So, you see, when we see Jayden Stockley running out in 2021 with the Red, Red Robin blaring across The Valley that connects us emotionally to all those generations of Charlton fans, including our own flesh and blood, that have gone before us for all those decades before.

Please put it back where it belongs.
    Good post. Certainly for me I now live miles away and even before Covid didn't get to the Valley too often. But if someone said what do you remember about Charlton in your childhood it's the very first thing that comes into my mind. I do think Sandgaard will take it into account and all he's done is made a mistake, one easily fixed. 
  • razil said:
    Apparently the fan adviser didn’t know about the RRR change, might make one question what the role is actually for. 

I am happy to go with mistaken over enthusiasm here, as others have said prefer that to sneaky bastards observing our traditions then trying to rob us. Time will tell though.

I feel communication with fans needs to be genuine and go in both directions, without that this kind of thing as well as numerous other niggles will continue to spoil the party.

Poor show if the opening paragraph is true.
  • edited August 2021
    razil said:
    Apparently the fan adviser didn’t know about the RRR change, might make one question what the role is actually for. 

I am happy to go with mistaken over enthusiasm here, as others have said prefer that to sneaky bastards observing our traditions then trying to rob us. Time will tell though.

I feel communication with fans needs to be genuine and go in both directions, without that this kind of thing as well as numerous other niggles will continue to spoil the party.

Poor show if the opening paragraph is true.
    I guess he didn't think it was a significant change and was just a piece of old music, not something that links generations of fans to the club. Hopefully someone will have a word and it will get sorted, if it don't ...... BUNDLE!!!!!
  • .... however I can see a new heavy metal version appearing on the horizon, god help us!
  • https://youtu.be/oVl6cqavGZk

Just heard addicks to victory song for the 1st time.

I like the song itself. Nothing wrong with it at all. You've gotta love Charlton. We are one rather bizarre odd funny club to support. 

Roland could perhaps be in the music video.
    Looking his miserable old self while doing an enthusiastic Michael Jackson dance.
  • edited August 2021
    Dave2l said:
    https://youtu.be/oVl6cqavGZk

I like the song itself. Nothing wrong with it at all. You've gotta love Charlton. We are one rather bizarre odd funny club to support. 

Looking his miserable old self while doing an enthusiastic Michael Jackson dance.
    He'd struggle with the moonwalk what with all that Duck / Duct tape on the sole of his shoe.....
  • Dave2l said:
    https://youtu.be/oVl6cqavGZk

He'd struggle with the moonwalk what with all that Duck / Duct tape on the sole of his shoe.....
    Might manage the Duck/duct walk though!
  • edited August 2021
    Fantastic. 

I would quite like Addicks To Victory to be played in our changing room, tunnel and the stands before the RRR starts up.

They just need to edit out the ooooooaaaahh bits. 
  • Sponsored links:

• if they had just explained why, as a one-off, they wanted to play it earlier then all this angst could have been avoided (although I doubt that was the case personally) but at least now it's been rectified.
  • Well I’m very disappointed. 
  • Good statement and I agree with the suggestion to play Addicks To Victory immediately before the players come out. Well done TS.
  • Definitely play A2V a couple of minutes before they come out . Although I didn’t want it to replaced the RRR it did sound bloody good on Saturday even through our crappy PA system.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Too late
  • Good statement.

He's a wise and experienced chap.

I hope he wouldn't have taken negative feedback about it to heart and doesn't feel like it was wasted effort.

It is a good record, sounds decent and it's welcome enthusiasm for the club 👍
  • _MrDick said:
    Can all those with wet pants, please go and change .. thank you
    Can all those that called this out as wrong take satisfaction in the change that it has resulted in, whilst acknowledging that TS has done the right thing. 
  • edited August 2021
    RC_CAFC said:
    Can we close the embarrassment that is this thread title now please. The man has saved the club and completely has the club’s interest at heart.
    As I started the thread at 5.33 on Saturday, I'd request that it stays. At that time it was absolutely correct, and based on the number of likeminded comments I wasn't alone in that point of view. 

ps you can't close a thread title. You can change a thread title, or close a thread. 
  • The title of this thread was wrong from the get go. TS is an honourable man, in my opinion, and has listened to the fans, but as I've said on other threads people seem to finding reasons to knock him, just look at some other forums and social media!
    For what it's worth I quite like A2V and hope it's played, maybe during the team warming up?, RRR is part of CAFC, but I have to say I can't remember the last time it was sung by the crowd, it's normally VFR that's belting out!
    We have finally got an owner that cares, give the guy a break please!

I think you will find that a lot of people sing and clap along to it, agreed it's not belted out with gusto but then again I don't remember the Goodison Park crowd singing along to Z-Cars.