Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaards ego can do one (Ed. And it has for now)

Comments

• addick1956 said:
    Actually if one owns something it's the owners prerogative to do such things within the bounds of decency etc.
    Exactly what Meire said when Duchatelet owned the club!
    Whilst technically correct, ignoring the traditions and history of this club leads to many issues, as proved previously by the aforementioned duo.
    In the end, even they listened to a certain extent. Let's hope TS does the same.
  • Belv said:
    If we absolutely must play ATV then I think it should be after RRR, after handshakes as the players run to clap the fans, get in a huddle etc.
    It should be before it as a nudge to get to your seats.
  • I'd prefer my owner to be seen and not heard really, not a fan of him being on twitter to be honest. As for not coming out to RRR, that was pretty poor. 
    Not sure why it matters if he’s on Twitter or not. He also tweets about his charities, he isn’t just the owner of Charlton.
  • MattF said:
    Can't believe 9% voted against RRR
    Thomas’s bots 😉
  • Greenie said:
    I watched it on TV. TS walking around the pitch with his guitar trying to promote his song.
    I hope to Christ it isn’t gonna be a permanent thing, to be honest, and I truly hate to say it but we “out Palaced Palace” yesterday with that stunt. It was cringy and my toes were curling up in my Adidas.
    I know the bloke wants to be Carlos Santana but not at football please mate.
    Thanks for buying the club and sorting it so far TS, but any further outbreaks of ‘I’m a rock star’ will be met with a stern ticking off.
    Let that be a warning……and don’t even think about goal music.
    Goal music - so that's why - maybe the players already know about it.
  • I'd prefer my owner to be seen and not heard really, not a fan of him being on twitter to be honest. As for not coming out to RRR, that was pretty poor. 
    Not sure why it matters if he’s on Twitter or not. He also tweets about his charities, he isn’t just the owner of Charlton.
    I don’t lose sleep over it, but i just find it a bit odd really. He’s obviously ultra positive which is good to an extent but actions speak louder than words. 

• The RRR is a Charlton institution which has largely been ignored in recent years. When it has been played, before last Saturday, and there have been crowds in, it has not been sung by the fans, with the Covered End usually belting out Valley Floyd Road to drown out RRR. Suddenly, because it was dropped, it has become sacred again. Play it at the next league home game and see how many of our support actually sing it. I sit in the NWQ and sometime I can barely hear myself singing it because the Covered end do not.

Yes, it has meaning for me since it was played at home when I was a small child.

Is it sacrosanct to me as part of my match day? Yes.

Is it really important to the majority of our support?  Obviously not and recognise that I would have to give way to the majority of the support who don't sing it.

Do people vote in favour of keeping it?  Yes, because it is tradition and most people hate change.

Will they sing it if it reinstated? Maybe once  but then no, because it is an anachronism to many of our support with its dated words and emotions. It's words speak of a percieved  idillyic past and reflect  what it is.

Maybe Thomas should have tried a rearrangement of Billy Cotton version, but the screams would have been the same.

Addicks to Victory was a good attempt by TS to bring a different culture, partly American influenced, into the club and he will undoubtedly feel hurt by the criticism he has faced on social media. To the keyboard warriors who have dissed him out of turn on twitter and the like, I would recommend that they learn from history what bad owners are really like.

TS seems to me to be a good owner, spending wisely in this league, attending matches, joining in with much of the spirit of the club. If he was driven by ego, then there would have been many more changes and we would have been told to suck it up, much in the manner of RD and KM.

Simply, if you want RRR then sing it, but dont complain if you dont sing it and someone concludes that it is an unwanted anachronism. If the 3,000 fans that have voted for it had actually sung it then it would have been obvious to TS that it was of importance.

Rant over.
    Validating the walkout music by measuring the number of fans that sing it is a nonsense argument.

Do you think 3,000 fans will sing A2V?

I don't think many people have ever sung RRR, but it is a part of our tradition, is clearly valued by the majority, and it was an error of judgement to remove it.
    Not validating it by measuring the number that sing but heaaring the number that sing over it and drown it out. I doubt that many fans would even bother to learn the words to A2V but that was not my point.
    Tbh by the time RRR is playing the covered end choir can’t hear it all, as they’re belting out VFR and trying to build an atmosphere. I guess they’d say that if they stopped, that atmosphere would evaporate. RRR certainly seems a lot louder when you’re sitting in the West or East. 
  • I look at it this way . Thomas stepped in when all hope was vanishing. He communicates with the fans via all sorts of media. He has been to the Valley far more than Roland ,which wasn't  difficult but he has to come from USA as well. 

The song is another way of communicating to us and the club. 

Mind you I do like tradition. After all we have Floyd and Harvey back

One could play Thomas's song when the 2nd half starts .
    I think you give him too much credit. 

Look he's a great guy but the song is clearly a 'look at me!' move from a guy that proclaims himself as the 'Rockstar CEO'. 

I prefer tradition. However he is the owner. When I days he should not have promised to tare the league up I was told I was setting to much store in his words.

Now I support his right to perform at The Valley I find the same critical comments.

Perhaps we should start the game with sex in the centre circle on that wretched sofa !
    Lol. Thé largest dogging spot in The UK.
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    Can't believe 9% voted against RRR
    Thomas’s bots 😉
    Bots ‘n trolls
  • Play ATV just before the players come out while they're in the tunnel.
  • Rather as rather a strange argument has been used. If people want RRR they need to be seen singing along with it. 
    What has singing it got to do with anything?
  • I'm in the 9%. ...think people are being a bit sensitive about RRR. It will still get played on match days but for now Thomas pays the bills and i think his tune works perfectly for kick off. 
  • JonT_Abs said:
    I'm in the 9%. ...think people are being a bit sensitive about RRR. It will still get played on match days but for now Thomas pays the bills and i think his tune works perfectly for kick off. 
    If he wants to change it why not have a dialogue with the fanbase?
  • bobmunro said:
    Play ATV just before the players come out while they're in the tunnel.
    Am I alone in keep reading this as 'Anglia TV' as in the old school ITV regional variations??
    From Norwich - it's the quiz of the week!

It was before I was born, but I suspected (and have confirmed!) that ATV was not synonymous with Anglia TV - two different ITV regions entirely!
  • Croydon said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    I'm in the 9%. ...think people are being a bit sensitive about RRR. It will still get played on match days but for now Thomas pays the bills and i think his tune works perfectly for kick off. 
    This mentality winds me up. Guess it's the same portion of the fanbase that would have been happy becoming RB Charlton. 
    Yes. And Thomas bought the club for business & pleasure reasons, not because he wanted to do a favour to some Charlton fans. He’s a breath of fresh air, but we didn’t force him to buy the club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting but boring fact Red Red Robin was written by Harry Wood in 1926, a tin pan alley composer, it's been recorded amongst others by Al Jolson, Doris Day and Louis Armstrong. All American incidentally. 
    and Vernon and the G I s
  • edited August 2021
    fmaddick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Am I alone in keep reading this as 'Anglia TV' as in the old school ITV regional variations??

It was before I was born, but I suspected (and have confirmed!) that ATV was not synonymous with Anglia TV - two different ITV regions entirely!
    Associated TV.

Predecessor to London Weekend as well as Midlands ITV company up to 1982.
  • fmaddick said:
    bobmunro said:

You are right but without (now) having looked it up I would have first thought of this logo and likely would never  have recalled it stood for Associated TV. Even in my childhood I may well have conflated them. 

You learn something new every day as they say. 

• From March’s Voice of the Valley:

Says it all! We aren’t an American Bruce Springsteen pretend act! 
  • Apparently the fan adviser didn’t know about the RRR change, might make one question what the role is actually for. 

I am happy to go with mistaken over enthusiasm here, as others have said prefer that to sneaky bastards observing our traditions then trying to rob us. Time will tell though.

I feel communication with fans needs to be genuine and go in both directions, without that this kind of thing as well as numerous other niggles will continue to spoil the party.

• Enjoyed it but I hope it nevers gets on the pitch with his guitar again (unless we win the league ofc)