Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Burton Albion | Tues 23rd Feb 2021

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    They, all 3 of them, so obviously like him.

It's quite sad watching this. 
    This isn't post-match analysis.

It's a wake.
  • I didn't think any of the 15 players we used played particularly badly, nor were any of them particularly good. We didn't win too many balls in the air, gave away possession quite easily and looked like a collection of footballers - quite a quality selection, actually - with no game plan.

This was heavily trailed as a "must win" game, and in response to that Bowyer started with both our leading scorers on the bench.

I think the number of times we hit the woodwork, the goal that wasn't, and the other chances we created (but didn't exploit) reflect what appear to be chaotic arrangements in team selection.
  • I never thought I'd support a Charlton side that would struggle against the bottom side in L1 but here we are. Quite an achievement to be this bad whatever the shortcomings of the squad are.

We need someone in charge who can restore a bit of pride.
  • Stig said:
    After watching Bowyer's interview I have one question. What is an outside centre half?
    Someone like Pratley or Oshilaja tonight who is playing on the outside of a back three?
    Or when you play a back 5, Matthews and purrington are the out out outside centre Half's 
  • edited February 2021
    Awful thing is, we all know a new manager, other than Lee Reed, usually brings a bounce or upturn.
  • Carter said:
    Players are getting away with a lot of unacceptable behaviour with no fans in the ground 

Elements of bad luck with hitting the bar and the bullshit offside but the indecisiveness and ploddy, sluggy movement isn't down to Bowyer. Its down to players who know they won't be here next season and are not fearful of the manager or being dropped. Lack of desire to win first and second balls is appalling. The defending for the first goal is the usual shitshow we've come to expect, no urgency to stop the cross then its anyones ball a massive lump of a forward attacking our full back at the near post. 

Lee Bowyer still has credit in the bank. We nearly didn't have a club to be moaning and swearing about, its 2011 all over again. If we change manager now I think its cheap and we will still face a massive rebuild in the summer. It feels double shite because these games are the sole focus for so many of us. 
     Admire your optimism mate, but some of the stuff he is doing is just plain bonkers.
    It just doesn't feel like he's got the full backing of those above him or the players under him.
    His whole demeanor is as negative as I've seen anyone in his position. There doesn't seem to be much there. No energy or enthusiasm. The complete polar opposite of Sandgaard,which won't be boding well.

The writings well and truly up on the wall now I'm afraid. I loved his honesty and positivity when he first turned up. He's a completely different animal now though.
  • edited February 2021
    Why not change the mood music and see what that brings this season? Are we not allowed to try FFS, given the number of games remaining? It doesn't matter if we haven't got a manager lined up, we can appoint a caretaker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don’t see any point in prolonging Lees suffering. If TS is going to sack him then make it tomorrow. Either that or make a statement of support. This is agony for the whole football club.
    How can TS support a manager who is so clearly out of his depth. It's just embarrassing now.
  • Congratulations to the team for reaching a new low. 
  • Curbs new manager - Morts and Kin’s midfield coaches - Brownie and Fish defence coaches - Nelse and Clive forwards coaches

Sorted 
    Alternatively, Andy Nelson is still alive, if we want to score more goals than we concede - removes the need to have defensive coaches 
    But I'm not sure Killer would be quite as lethal as he once was
  • I think its the end of the road for Bowyer, rightly so in my opinion but still leaves a massive sense of sadness. That 18/19 season was brilliant and shouldn't be forgotten. However, since then its been really poor on the pitch with those shockingly bizarre decisions from Lee over the last few months.

• That's the first time I've heard Bowyer say he'll be blamed for the loss. Up to now he hasn't gone anywhere near that. Is he preparing the way?
    As for the performance, that was dire and turgid, just like Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Don’t see any point in prolonging Lees suffering. If TS is going to sack him then make it tomorrow. Either that or make a statement of support. This is agony for the whole football club.
    How can TS support a manager who is so clearly out of his depth. It's just embarrassing now.
    Then Sack him but leaving this boil unpricked is very painful
  • Rob said:
    That's the first time I've heard Bowyer say he'll be blamed for the loss. Up to now he hasn't gone anywhere near that. Is he preparing the way?
    As for the performance, that was dire and turgid, just like Saturday.
    Noticed that too 
  • Yeah bowyers made a lot of mistakes but he has been let down by most of these players I really want bowyer to succeed but unfortunately he’s just confusing himself at present and needs time out. 

• KettsJohn said:
    After 50 years of supporting Charlton, it would be overstated to say it's the worst team I have seen, but it's pretty bad. Not a lot you can say. I thought as an away team, bottom of the league, Burton deserved to win. Very poor. Very disappointing. Reminds of a few years ago under the insessant number of poor managers we had. We need cohesion. Bowyer keeps making changes. Very waring this season. Not enjoying it one bit. Keep making excuses.
    Curbishley even mentioned to Bowyer about keeping a settled side, now I certainly wouldn't want curbs back but if you can't take a bit of advice from someone who has managed at the top level, & things obviously aren't working more fool you.
  • I am not defending Bowyer,but really,what can he do,We hit the bar twice,good goal ruled out,3 players stood watching as their guy crossed for the 1st goal and then the guy takes pot luck from 30 yds and it gets a deflection and goes in.
    It just seems that the players feel sorry for themselves when things go against them and just go into a shell,not wanting the ball ,playing too cautiously,just not wanting to be responsible for the next cock up.It is now shit or bust,go into every game ,all out attack,no defensive midfielders,just go for it ,you never know.
  • Felt quite sad watching that 2nd half. Numerous things have been tried this season but its just not working. Our squad isn't the greatest but should be doing better than where we are. 
  • jams said:
    overwhelming feeling right now is not anger, not frustration, but sadness.

how has it got to this point with lee? i think there really only is one way this goes now, and i am just sad at the situation. 

i think it's time to part ways and try something else, with sadness 
    I agree. After the play off win, we all hoped it was history repeating itself with Curbs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzuJXqgsiSM