Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Burton Albion | Tues 23rd Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    Anyway back to the actual game.

Early days yet but I have to say my first impressions of Jaiyesimi are not great. He scarcely beat a man, his passing was wayward and I'm convinced Burton's first goal was down to him switching off and letting their player run past him and get a cross in. If we've got rid of Williams for him, I don't see we have come out of this stronger.

As I say early days and he needs to play in his proper position - not in some strange deep lying winger role miles behind a loan striker -  and in a team full of more confidence before we can properly pass judgment but I hope there is a lot more to his game than he showed tonight.      

• Options
    How we not won that god knows .. the fact Burton were still in it at HT gave them a massive lift ... first half we were good new system looked promising .. no good blaming the manager there nothing he can do about a wonder save and two efforts hitting the woodwork .. then having a good goal ruled out ... LB got it right tonight .... second half Burton got their tactics spot on high pressing which forced us to go long and stopped us playing through midfield ....

as much as Stockley offers he has changed our style of play to much long ball now which is not helping players like DJ and Millar around him ... 

On Saturday go back to Aneke and Schwartz play the ball to their strengths on the floor behind the defence at the moment these two are suffering ..

You can’t blame defence tonight .. first goal was down to DJ not doing his defensive duties and the second was just another long range effort that took deflection .... 

Stockley hasn't changed us we just lack confidence and ideas, we should be crossing the ball not lumping it forward.
  • Options
    How we not won that god knows .. the fact Burton were still in it at HT gave them a massive lift ... first half we were good new system looked promising .. no good blaming the manager there nothing he can do about a wonder save and two efforts hitting the woodwork .. then having a good goal ruled out ... LB got it right tonight .... second half Burton got their tactics spot on high pressing which forced us to go long and stopped us playing through midfield ....

as much as Stockley offers he has changed our style of play to much long ball now which is not helping players like DJ and Millar around him ... 

On Saturday go back to Aneke and Schwartz play the ball to their strengths on the floor behind the defence at the moment these two are suffering ..

You can’t blame defence tonight .. first goal was down to DJ not doing his defensive duties and the second was just another long range effort that took deflection .... 

You have conveniently ignored the occasions Burton hit the woodwork and Amos' wonder save, and their domination for 70 minutes. Every team presses us high currently because we can't deal with it. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I thought we lost it today when Shinnie hit the bar. That was the second time we had hit the woodwork at that point and a team devoid of confidence knows the script from there. To be honest, we all knew too didn't we? That is how these things happen. When you expect the worst in football it happens far more often than when you are confident and expect the best. 

Just a simple change, even if it is a temporary one can change that dynamic. There are so many examples of this in football.
  • Options
    At work so luckily missed it, knew we lost when at 21.00 lots of my engineers were keen to tell me the results (look forward to giving them their jobs tomorrow)...Knew the inevitable was coming...Thought it couldn't get worse than recent matches, sure the last time we won at home we were there.
  • Options
    Bowyer has to go.
    I have nothing else to add.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Other than 20 mins utter shite. Again. A performance and result that will get a maager sacked if ever there was one.

Sorry Lee, but we can;t keep on letting you get out managed. Its happening over and over again.

There is no sign of any improvement and things are gettng obviously worse as every game passes by.

Seems harsh for people to call for his head, but this has run its course. His body language is awful, the involvement on teh sidelines of his coaching staff non-existant.

All this nonsense abut Curbishley? Really? What is this obssession our fanbase seem to have with looking back at the past. If Bowyer is sacked I would suggest that a clean slate is required and the back room staff go with him. I would like to see someone come in who has no baggage from the Roland and ESI era.
  • Options
    Bowyer is talking so much shit
    Has Amanda already been round?
  • Options
    We had 23 points after 11 games and we now have 44 after 30 - our form has been really wretched. We're playing like a team in relegation form and it seems daft to write off the season.

Something needs to be done...
  • Options
    We have lost twice to the bottom team aggregate 3 - 6. Every team is taking long shots and scoring so Amos is at fault because teams see it as worth while doing that. 
    I think Amos to blame for both those goals tonight. First one he should have come and claimed it. Second one he just flapped it into
    the net. I think Amos unnerves the defence because he is so indecisive. A couple of times tonight the defenders were shouting at Amos
    to come and get the ball and there was that time when Pearce had a go at him for failing to come out.
  • Options
    nnButtleJR said:
    Lee might not be the man for the job. But the disrespect towards a man who showed great loyalty towards us when he could've easily walked is shocking. Short memory's. 
    When you say disrespect do you mean people calling for his removal? I haven’t seen anything other than people saying he should go, and that’s not being disrespectful. 
  • Options
    I really don’t like the names being dished out to Bowyer. He not a prick or anything else. He needs to go but can’t we show a bit of class.
    Hear hear. This is what is saddening me the most about this whole situation. What an awful thing to call a man who has dedicated himself to our club through some of it’s lowest years.
    Absolutely. I want Bowyer gone but it’s not personal. The fella deserves a lot of plaudits for what he’s done for us. 
  • Options
    We have lost twice to the bottom team aggregate 3 - 6. Every team is taking long shots and scoring so Amos is at fault because teams see it as worth while doing that. 
    I think Amos to blame for both those goals tonight. First one he should have come and claimed it. Second one he just flapped it into
    the net. I think Amos unnerves the defence because he is so indecisive. A couple of times tonight the defenders were shouting at Amos
    to come and get the ball and there was that time when Pearce had a go at him for failing to come out.
    I know what you mean, but I think he probably should get the benefit tonight. The first was criminal not picking up the crosser and the second was a wicked deflection. I think a pub team would have an inquest about the first.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Other than 20 mins utter shite. Again. A performance and result that will get a maager sacked if ever there was one.

Sorry Lee, but we can;t keep on letting you get out managed. Its happening over and over again.

There is no sign of any improvement and things are gettng obviously worse as every game passes by.

Seems harsh for people to call for his head, but this has run its course. His body language is awful, the involvement on teh sidelines of his coaching staff non-existant.

All this nonsense abut Curbishley? Really? What is this obssession our fanbase seem to have with looking back at the past. If Bowyer is sacked I would suggest that a clean slate is required and the back room staff go with him. I would like to see someone come in who has no baggage from the Roland and ESI era.
    Always interested to hear who others have in mind as a replacement at this level.

Who would be your (and everyone else's) pick?

Serious question to everyone.   Who would you like to see in charge next season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll be surprised if Bowyer is sacked this week. He should have gone weeks ago, but I have an awful feeling he'll still be the manager when we play Blackpool.
     I doubt that anyone has been approached to take over as yet and the next managerial appointment is going to be absolutely vital to the future progress of CAFC over the next few years. No point in sacking Bowyer unless a real plan is in place, there's no place or point in a temporary/interim appointment
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:
    nnButtleJR said:
    Lee might not be the man for the job. But the disrespect towards a man who showed great loyalty towards us when he could've easily walked is shocking. Short memory's. 
    When you say disrespect do you mean people calling for his removal? I haven’t seen anything other than people saying he should go, and that’s not being disrespectful. 
    No I don't. I agree that he may not be the right person for the job. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    LoOkOuT said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    I’m finding it really hard to relate to the modern game. The way that money has corrupted the game is awful, but the effect it has had on the way supporters’ think (talk and act) is truly tragic. 
    Managers have always been sacked.  Alf Ramsey was sacked.  Any Charlton manager who finishes in the bottom half of the 3rd division is likely to be sacked. 

I don't think it's a modern problem.  20 years ago we would all be saying this in the pub, that's the only difference. 
    Saying that managers have always been sacked is ridiculous. I don’t mean to single you out, but it’s too great an example of exactly the point I’m making. That sentence means nothing. It’s a truism masquerading as insight.  Of course manager’s have always been sacked. No one thinks that managers should die in the job. It’s the kind of thing we hear all the time and it’s because we talk Premier League speak more often than not.

Should Bowyer be fired? Should he resign? Maybe, maybe not. It’s something worthy of debate.

Sure, but my point is much more about how it’s discussed. Maybe thirty years ago we’d all be discussing it in the pub. But I guarantee, it’d be a level above the rubbish spouted these day. We can’t help ourselves to debate the subject with respect for everyone involved. That’s a modern problem.

It’s not looking back with rose-colored glasses. I know things weren’t better then. But the money in the game has put players, managers, and pundits on a pedestal. There’s such a gulf between us all, that we’ve decided that it’s perfectly normal to spout off our frustrations in any way we feel. Bowyer stuck by this club and could do with some backing now that things aren’t going his way. I’m happy to debate whether that’s justified. I’d like to read people’s opinions. But there’s less and less of that to engage with. It’s invectives and vile. That’s what so much of “being a supporter” is now reduced to. And that’s tragic.
    I think you're getting a football/money issue and social media issue totally mixed up. 

Considering people air they views about everything in the same way over social media, its easy to see that it's not just a 'modern game money' issue, and just an issue that social media has allowed humans basically to act like the animals we are.
  • Options
    Could see this result coming tonight. We are utter turd and Burton have had a bit of a resurgence under JFH. 
  • Options
    I'll be surprised if Bowyer is sacked this week. He should have gone weeks ago, but I have an awful feeling he'll still be the manager when we play Blackpool.
     I doubt that anyone has been approached to take over as yet and the next managerial appointment is going to be absolutely vital to the future progress of CAFC over the next few years. No point in sacking Bowyer unless a real plan is in place, there's no place or point in a temporary/interim appointment
    Don’t understand this logic. Bow needs replacing now. Certainly go through a proper recruitment process but give someone the temporary reigns for the remaining games. The club needs a lift not a drawn out agonising death of someone who I think the majority of Charlton supporters actually like.