Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Burton Albion | Tues 23rd Feb 2021

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    Struggling to explain what’s changed in the last year. Up until Xmas we were doing well in the champ given our lack of money. Must be the ESI thing that’s affected him, because we struggled after they came in and Connor left for Swansea. Although we had a damn good shot at staying up, it did feel like we should have stayed up in the last 5 games. 

All I can think is that now that there’s pressure he struggles. Backs against the wall and no one in charge of him and it’s all good. He revelled in it. 

For what it’s worth, my best team would be:

Amos
    Matthews. Oshilaja Famewo. Purrington

Shinnie Prats. Morgan

DJ.             Stockley/Chucks.         Millar

Then I’d stick with it until it worked.
    What's changed is that Bowyer is now making all the calls on team and tactics rather than being directed by Duchatelet. 
  • Options
    Struggling to explain what’s changed in the last year. Up until Xmas we were doing well in the champ given our lack of money. Must be the ESI thing that’s affected him, because we struggled after they came in and Connor left for Swansea. Although we had a damn good shot at staying up, it did feel like we should have stayed up in the last 5 games. 

All I can think is that now that there’s pressure he struggles. Backs against the wall and no one in charge of him and it’s all good. He revelled in it. 

Amos

Shinnie Prats. Morgan

What's changed is that Bowyer is now making all the calls on team and tactics rather than being directed by Duchatelet. 
    You can't be serious? Have I been whooshed
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Amos

Shinnie Prats. Morgan

I leave you to reflect and judge for yourself. I like to leave people wondering on occasions. 

😉
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Amos

Shinnie Prats. Morgan

I leave you to reflect and judge for yourself. I like to leave people wondering on occasions. 

😉
    I think you may have drawn the wrong conclusion from witnessing so many people finish their conversations with you and walk off shaking their heads 😉
  • Options
    Some posters are saying we played 5 at the back ? On here and on the thread " has Bowyer lost it"

We had 5 up front in first 20 minutes as Purrington overlapped Millar and Matthews went wide of DJ and Stockley was the number 9.

As Curbs pointed out this meant that the wingers have to come inside where DJ and Millar are less effective. Millar on a good day can play the free role but DJ looked at his best for Swindon as a winger putting in crosses.

Burton woke up and realized there was plenty of space to counter attack. 

Oshilaja played the Sheffield United CB getting forward that worked for United last season.

What ever system we play we get hurt because of the lack of pace in getting back once we lose the ball.

The first  goal for Burton was basic marking from a throw in and then lack of a big CB to head the cross away. (Inniss or Famewo)

In League 1, Lincoln are proving journeyman footballers who play as a collective can be successful and over achieve.
    Lee Bowyer has struggled this season to find a system that can win football matches.

The slate was wiped clean because of the nonsense of the last two seasons.
    Gilbey and Maddison who should be excellent in this division have struggled for various reasons and the loss of the stable partnership at CB that kept more clean sheets than a 5 star hotel.

The buck has to stop with the Manager. 

• Options
    One thing that has been bothering me about Tuesday was the way DJ just let the Burton player past him for the throw in that led to the first goal. It isn't so much DJ doing that, he is a winger and they tend not to be the greatest defenders. But usually you will have teammates screaming at them to do their defensive duties/pick up their man.

Is the team lacking those sort of players?
  • Options
    One thing that has been bothering me about Tuesday was the way DJ just let the Burton player past him for the throw in that led to the first goal. It isn't so much DJ doing that, he is a winger and they tend not to be the greatest defenders. But usually you will have teammates screaming at them to do their defensive duties/pick up their man.

Might be a approach that Matthews doesnt have.... The VP team were saying on Saturday I think it was about Gunter and the amount of appearances / minutes he's played - Apparently when Brown has seen him at the Valley he's constantly communicating
  • Options
    I must admit, I think Gunter is a much better bet at right back than Matthews. Matthews edges it offensively but this season, most of his crosses don't beat the first man. He has been a big disappointment this season.
  • Options
    I must admit, I think Gunter is a much better bet at right back than Matthews. Matthews edges it offensively but this season, most of his crosses don't beat the first man. He has been a big disappointment this season.
    Agreed. Matthews was brilliant last season but this season he hasn't hit the same form. Shame really as he was one of our most consistent players. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes. Unforgivable really. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Agreed. Matthews was brilliant last season but this season he hasn't hit the same form. Shame really as he was one of our most consistent players.
    It may be the fact he only came back because no one else wanted him, so I think he is here for the wages
    and not a lot else!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    It may be the fact he only came back because no one else wanted him, so I think he is here for the wages
    and not a lot else!
    I think you will find that "here for the wages and not a lot else" just about covers
    the staple for all footballers, i am afraid playing for the shirt has long passed them
    by.
  • Options
    My gripe with Bowyer is his constant unenforced tinkering with line-ups & style of play (eg this week we’re 442, next week it’s 5221). Then there’s been the playing players out of their natural position & his obsession with playing out from the back (which usually ends up with umpteen sideways-backwards-sideways-sideways-back to Amos). But it seems that he doesn’t learn (or is it he doesn’t want to) from those mistakes.

That said, if he is still in charge on Saturday I fully expect there to be more of the same 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    I've lost count of how many passes have gone into the opposition player's feet. There was a howler on Tuesday that started a dangerous counter attack
  • Options
    SamE7 said:
    I've lost count of how many passes have gone into the opposition player's feet. There was a howler on Tuesday that started a dangerous counter attack
    Famewo against Fleetwood was so obviously going to happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I think we’re seeing why Sunderland were happy to let Matthews go at the end of the 18/19 season. 

He did a decent job for us a level up when not much was expected other than to be solid and put in a dangerous cross a couple of times a match.

Now he’s expected to be much more involved getting up and down the wing on a regular basis and he can’t cut it.
  • Options
    I think we’re seeing why Sunderland were happy to let Matthews go at the end of the 18/19 season. 

He did a decent job for us a level up when not much was expected other than to be solid and put in a dangerous cross a couple of times a match.

Now he’s expected to be much more involved getting up and down the wing on a regular basis and he can’t cut it.
    I think it's more to do with having a run of games, rather than playing one and being left out for the next 3.
    It reminds me of Wayne Rooney a world class player.
    But when he returned from injury on numerous occasions he was generally unbelievably poor for 6-10 games and then after a regular run in the team, returned to top form.
  • Options
    My gripe with Bowyer is his constant unenforced tinkering with line-ups & style of play (eg this week we’re 442, next week it’s 5221). Then there’s been the playing players out of their natural position & his obsession with playing out from the back (which usually ends up with umpteen sideways-backwards-sideways-sideways-back to Amos). But it seems that he doesn’t learn (or is it he doesn’t want to) from those mistakes.

That said, if he is still in charge on Saturday I fully expect there to be more of the same 🤦🏻‍♀️
    Half in jest, but only half, I posted somewhere that the opposition just needs to kick the ball out for a goal kick because that way we can give the ball back to them in a really dangerous area. Much easier than trying to unlock the defence with skill or put in a cracking corner.
  • Options
    Can I be the first to say that you will see a marked improvement in performance & therefore results as soon as a new manager comes in. By a new manager I mean someone from outside, not someone already part of the current set up. 
    I am not disagreeing with you, but interested to hear your thoughts on who the new manager should be ?

A suite of candidates is fine, not just one person

Personally, I am struggling to think of anyone who is available, but also the right fit / good manager
    Back to that old chestnut. As you just said yourself...." i am struggling to think of anyone who is available". And all I say to that is so am I. I have no clue what managers are currently without a job & out of those who might be interested. But I' tell you something......the list in both camps would surprise you. 

One name everyone has mentioned recently is Paul Cook. Then there are the Cowley brothers. Nigel Pearson has just taken the Bristol City job so of we had been quicker then he was available. (And I'd say we are a "bigger" club then they are - certainly history wise over the past 30 years). 

As I've said many many times - it's not for me to know who is or isnt available. Not my job spec. But I reckon Jed Roddy knows.
    Bristol city’s owner is worth £1.7 billion so doubt we would of got near to signing Nigel Pearson. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have lost twice to the bottom team aggregate 3 - 6. Every team is taking long shots and scoring so Amos is at fault because teams see it as worth while doing that. 
    I think Amos to blame for both those goals tonight. First one he should have come and claimed it. Second one he just flapped it into
    the net. I think Amos unnerves the defence because he is so indecisive. A couple of times tonight the defenders were shouting at Amos
    to come and get the ball and there was that time when Pearce had a go at him for failing to come out.
    And I think you have a very short memory here.
    Amos has been anything but indecisive up until the last few games, and the only reason he has understandably become a bit shaky is because of the utter chaos being played out in front of him for the past three months. No settled line-up, no settled defence and no settled formation, not to mention many of the team being played out of position. 
    What we have witnessed in all this time is the confidence gradually being stripped from just about all of the players, so that even starting a game well and taking the lead isn't enough to win a game. I honestly believe they don't understand what they are being asked to do each week, mainly because the tactics are confusing and contradictory.
  • Options
    Personally I don't think Amos is a patch on Phillips. 
    As for all the worldly goals we keep conceding they are only called that because they go in.
    Quite a few of those I'm sure Phillips would have saved.
    If I was managing a team playing Charlton I would be telling my players to shoot on sight as he gets beaten from distance far to often. 
    I remember calling this out when he was with us before.

He seems to struggle with long shots, but often does well with the quick reaction instinctive stuff. 
  • Options
    He, like many of the team is lacking in confidence.