Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Burton Albion | Tues 23rd Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    Your facts are not facts. We could have a bit of faith in a squad devoid of confidence and give them a chance to show they are better this season rather than write it off with so many games to go.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    I’m finding it really hard to relate to the modern game. The way that money has corrupted the game is awful, but the effect it has had on the way supporters’ think (talk and act) is truly tragic. 
    Managers have always been sacked.  Alf Ramsey was sacked.  Any Charlton manager who finishes in the bottom half of the 3rd division is likely to be sacked. 

I don't think it's a modern problem.  20 years ago we would all be saying this in the pub, that's the only difference. 
    Saying that managers have always been sacked is ridiculous. I don’t mean to single you out, but it’s too great an example of exactly the point I’m making. That sentence means nothing. It’s a truism masquerading as insight.  Of course manager’s have always been sacked. No one thinks that managers should die in the job. It’s the kind of thing we hear all the time and it’s because we talk Premier League speak more often than not.

Should Bowyer be fired? Should he resign? Maybe, maybe not. It’s something worthy of debate.

Sure, but my point is much more about how it’s discussed. Maybe thirty years ago we’d all be discussing it in the pub. But I guarantee, it’d be a level above the rubbish spouted these day. We can’t help ourselves to debate the subject with respect for everyone involved. That’s a modern problem.

It’s not looking back with rose-colored glasses. I know things weren’t better then. But the money in the game has put players, managers, and pundits on a pedestal. There’s such a gulf between us all, that we’ve decided that it’s perfectly normal to spout off our frustrations in any way we feel. Bowyer stuck by this club and could do with some backing now that things aren’t going his way. I’m happy to debate whether that’s justified. I’d like to read people’s opinions. But there’s less and less of that to engage with. It’s invectives and vile. That’s what so much of “being a supporter” is now reduced to. And that’s tragic.
    I don't remember there being a great level of debate in the good old days - people were just as critical back then. If someone is out of their depth and can't do the job they deserve the sack - if Bowyer wasn't ex Charlton then nobody would bother making a case for him.

He deserves to be judged on results...

• Options
    LB needs to be put out of his misery and ours as we will be heading for league 2 at this rate.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    How the fuck can people still defend Bowyer
        Did we play like shit for 30 minutes ?
        We hit the post 3 times, I have a goal disallowed    
        that was a Goal, and two or our defenders go to sleep  and they Score a header.
    Ok no excuses we should have wiped the bottom team off the page and won 3-1, but how on earth can you blame all these events on Bowyer ?
    we just cannot win a home and we leak stupid Goals and I very much doubt we will get to the playoffs, but who is going to replace Bowyer ?
    Teams all know we need to score at least 2 goals not to lose and the team have to stop this happening and Bowyer is as good as anyone we can afford to manage this Club.
    Have you not noticed the pattern yet?
           Yes we cannot win at home ?
            Your point is ?
    My point is, looking for excuses and claiming bad luck doesn't address the issue that fact is telling us.
         I am not making excuses at all.
         And I was not claiming bad luck 
         I saw the Game with my own eyes.
         The Fact you say is telling us ...........what ??
       We cannot afford  a top championship manager and Bowyer Is as good or better then anyone available for league one.
        We are not going down this season and I doubt we will end up in the top six also.
    but I would give Bowyer at least 7 more games to see 4 wins, and not just do a knee Jerk sacking !!

It’s not knee jerk. 6 weeks maybe, but way past that now. 
    21 points from 19 games I think...
  • Options
    Something has to give and that give I think, is LB going. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Under different managers these players have either excelled at this level or above.
    It does seem strange how most of the squad are under performing - maybe another manager could get more out of them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    I’m finding it really hard to relate to the modern game. The way that money has corrupted the game is awful, but the effect it has had on the way supporters’ think (talk and act) is truly tragic. 
    Managers have always been sacked.  Alf Ramsey was sacked.  Any Charlton manager who finishes in the bottom half of the 3rd division is likely to be sacked. 

I don't think it's a modern problem.  20 years ago we would all be saying this in the pub, that's the only difference. 
    Saying that managers have always been sacked is ridiculous. I don’t mean to single you out, but it’s too great an example of exactly the point I’m making. That sentence means nothing. It’s a truism masquerading as insight.  Of course manager’s have always been sacked. No one thinks that managers should die in the job. It’s the kind of thing we hear all the time and it’s because we talk Premier League speak more often than not.

Should Bowyer be fired? Should he resign? Maybe, maybe not. It’s something worthy of debate.

Sure, but my point is much more about how it’s discussed. Maybe thirty years ago we’d all be discussing it in the pub. But I guarantee, it’d be a level above the rubbish spouted these day. We can’t help ourselves to debate the subject with respect for everyone involved. That’s a modern problem.

It’s not looking back with rose-colored glasses. I know things weren’t better then. But the money in the game has put players, managers, and pundits on a pedestal. There’s such a gulf between us all, that we’ve decided that it’s perfectly normal to spout off our frustrations in any way we feel. Bowyer stuck by this club and could do with some backing now that things aren’t going his way. I’m happy to debate whether that’s justified. I’d like to read people’s opinions. But there’s less and less of that to engage with. It’s invectives and vile. That’s what so much of “being a supporter” is now reduced to. And that’s tragic.
    Equally we live in a bizarre time where there are no fans at games and hasn't been for a year. I agree some comments are a bit OTT, myself included in that particularly on the match thread. However its heat of the moment stuff and people feel very passionately about Charlton. The vast majority isn't vile at all, its just seeing it what for it is - which is shocking at the moment. 
    Fleetwood away on Saturday is a good example, normally there would be roughly 500 fans up north, but with the live stream you probably get up to 5k people watching, all likely to have a same strong opinion that the football is dreadful. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LoOkOuT said:

Equally we live in a bizarre time where there are no fans at games and hasn't been for a year. I agree some comments are a bit OTT, myself included in that particularly on the match thread. However its heat of the moment stuff and people feel very passionately about Charlton. The vast majority isn't vile at all, its just seeing it what for it is - which is shocking at the moment. 
    Fleetwood away on Saturday is a good example, normally there would be roughly 500 fans up north, but with the live stream you probably get up to 5k people watching, all likely to have a same strong opinion that the football is dreadful. 
    Most of the stuff on here is pretty polite. We all want Charlton to do well and that seems unlikely without a change of manager.

Bowyer has not done a good job this season and I'm sure even he would admit that. There's been no real sign of him turning things around.

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LoOkOuT said:

It’s not looking back with rose-colored glasses. I know things weren’t better then. But the money in the game has put players, managers, and pundits on a pedestal. There’s such a gulf between us all, that we’ve decided that it’s perfectly normal to spout off our frustrations in any way we feel. And that’s different. And that’s a result of money in the modern game. It’s a game for bankers and financiers now. And we’ve let them corrupt us.

Bowyer stuck by this club and could do with some backing now that things aren’t going his way. I’m happy to debate whether that’s justified. I’d like to read people’s opinions. But there’s less and less of that to engage with. It’s invectives and vile. That’s what so much of “being a supporter” is now reduced to. And that’s tragic.

LoOkOuT said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LoOkOuT said:

It’s not looking back with rose-colored glasses. I know things weren’t better then. But the money in the game has put players, managers, and pundits on a pedestal. There’s such a gulf between us all, that we’ve decided that it’s perfectly normal to spout off our frustrations in any way we feel. And that’s different. And that’s a result of money in the modern game. It’s a game for bankers and financiers now. And we’ve let them corrupt us.

Bowyer stuck by this club and could do with some backing now that things aren’t going his way. I’m happy to debate whether that’s justified. I’d like to read people’s opinions. But there’s less and less of that to engage with. It’s invectives and vile. That’s what so much of “being a supporter” is now reduced to. And that’s tragic.
    You have really lost me here "talking premier league speak", being corrupted by bankers and financiers?

Are you saying people that "being a supporter" means you can't be critical? And we only spout off because we think the manager, or players, earn a lot of money?

I am not sure why someone that runs a football forum is so against people expressing an opinion?  I have, as far as I am aware never made any personal remarks about Lee Bowyer or any comments that could be perceived as vile.  They are my opinions, often backed up by facts, and I am as entitled to them as anyone else. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Under different managers these players have either excelled at this level or been comfortable at the level above.

Under Lee Bowyer some of these players have either excelled at this level or been comfortable at the level above.  That's why it's "lost" as opposed to never was. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    I have defended Bow' but clearly he is not going to get these players to gel or to at least show some pride. We have now reached the stage where some, not all,  are looking for their next gig and despite what Bow says I don't see how you can build a squad with players who simply won't die for the cause. We need some youngsters to start knocking on the first team door and players with at least two to three years on a contract who believe in the club.
    It's down to the manager to get the best out of the players - every manager in L1 faces similar problems to him. 
  • Options
    TS wanted to achieve 10,000 regular fans steaming the live games. Well soon be doing project 10,000 in the ground when the ground opens again. This season is shameful, even with the poor start and injuries. The league standard is so far below the championship and yet we continue to play like a relegation side. The desire, quality and effort just doesn't match up to that of our opponents. This team is better than the results achieved. I reckon having no manager at all would achieve the same or better results. Maybe Lee needs to take a month off and let the players have a go themselves to work it out. These aren't a bunch of kids. They are seasoned pro's with decades of experience across the league's. 

The squad has been Charltonised. I seriously question how many of this 23 on performances would be kept on by a new manager (out of choice). As I and others have been saying for months, the whole is less than the sum of its parts. 

Lee. "It has been mostly good but not great while it lasted and I thank you for your services to Charlton, but it's time to admit that you haven't got a winning formula. You can't sort out this conundrum. It's come to the time to leave with grace and respect intact. Don't put us or yourself through this misery any longer. You have nothing to proove. Go with goodwill and fondness on both sides." 

In Bowyer I no longer have trust. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LoOkOuT said:

I think you're getting a football/money issue and social media issue totally mixed up. 

Considering people air they views about everything in the same way over social media, its easy to see that it's not just a 'modern game money' issue, and just an issue that social media has allowed humans basically to act like the animals we are.
    Maybe. I’ve made a couple of amendments to make my argument clearer. But to your point, taking Twitter as an example: take the other realm where this is manifest in a similar way: celebrities. It’s because these people (celebrities and footballers) are elevated to another realm (for the money machine). They live lives most don’t get a sniff at. And at that point, we’ve decided they’re fair game (especially behind a keyboard). Of course it’s fair game to criticise them. To argue against them, or what they’ve done, or whatever. The difference is, everyone takes it personally. And they make their criticism’s personal. And then they make that personal attack vile. And that’s what the premier league circus has done to the game.
    Go on any weird niche subreddit about something like custard, and you will still have people saying absolutely vile stuff to each other because someone dared to say they preferred sainsburys own brand to ambrosia.

Its the thing that annoys me the most about social media platforms, though I will say on the whole this forum is much better than many others platforms. 

Its nothing to do with money or lifestyle, celebrities/footballers etc are more popular and in the limelight and so people engage with them, but you put a group of people in an anonymous setting who have differing views about something/anything and sadly it's on the whole going to turn into what we normally see and read. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021

We played brilliantly tonight: quick and accurate and incisive. So did Burton Albion. It was a beautiful match: fluid and flowing, with subtle touches and clever moves.

No time for our usual navel-gazing! We raised our game to Burton Albion. This, at least, might show a constituency on this forum that players like Morgan and Lapslie – home-grown! - are merely agricultural. We need intelligence, sharpness – and sublime touches, along with force and power.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable game: we played well. I like Bowyer. He knows that our midfield should seize possession and advance in his image. Conor Gallagher was the man. Pratley is tough all right – in the third division. We are overloaded with strikers – five or six of them, bumbling and fumbling – yet Jayden Stockley is our best: temporarily, on loan.

Schwartz is a turkey, hyped before, like Ajose. We shall keep going, pushing and pressing – Millar is mustard, educated in a superior academy: he skins opponents, gets forward and flashes the ball dangerously to the box. We remain close to the play-offs, with dozens of game to go.

Lee Bowyer is still the man for us.  He stands for no nonsense. He’s a fighter – literally and metaphorically.

• Options
    Dire night.  True to form we got 5 changes tonight, we’ve chopped and changed all season (bar golden child Pratley who would play if he was 90 and can never get dropped), which hasn’t worked, so we take out almost half the team from the weekend and play a new formation that we’ve had 2 days to work on????

Started well and I’ve been crying out for that sort of intent from the get go since about October.  Probably unlucky for Stockley not to bury that first header and unfortunate with Oshilaja’s offside, but that’s where the sympathy ends for me.  As the game progressed, we got worse.  

Very little left to say about this lot.  So many players I just want out the club, Pearce, Oshilaja, Purrington, JFC, Pratley to name but a few.  Everywhere you look is just a sorry excuse for a football club (on the playing side of things).  As AFKA mentioned a few pages back, feels like the beginning of the end 

• Options
    Bailey said:
    I have defended Bow' but clearly he is not going to get these players to gel or to at least show some pride. We have now reached the stage where some, not all,  are looking for their next gig and despite what Bow says I don't see how you can build a squad with players who simply won't die for the cause. We need some youngsters to start knocking on the first team door and players with at least two to three years on a contract who believe in the club.
    But we've got some good young players on contracts who Bowyer won't play. He constantly mucks Morgan around - not even a sub tonight, won't play Barker despite the fact we have no central defenders and sent Davison out on loan.

And how Matt Smith gets into the team in front of Morgan is a mystery to me. 
  • Options
    Terrible. 
    I think TS and Jed Roddy have a busy couple of months ahead getting a replacement. 
    Put in JJ or Jason in as caretaker and take our time getting the right man . 
    Thomas must wonder what he’s let himself in for ! 
    JJ is our defensive coach isn't he ? Hearing Steve Brown speak a lot of sense recently maybe he should be taken on board.
    I agree with you in principle, but some times people are great talkers, and talk a good game,  Gary Neville was much lauded when he came on the sky commentary scene, but was a part of the England debacle under Roy Hodgson and hasn’t been a success in management, who knows you might be right about Steve Brown, but I was wondering if Thomas will go for a foreign manager in the summer a la Brentford / Norwich, who knows?
  • Options
    Curbs with Euell for me