Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• I heard a rumour that The Umbrella Academy is a really entertaining TV programme...

dumb joke for those in the know
     I quite enjoyed it and I heard a rumour the next season is right around the corner... 

(It was worth a try)
  • Oggy Red said:
    I was sceptical about Bogle from the start, but agree that much of the criticism is well OTT, as was the criticism of Bonne before him. We've not created many chances since the start of 2020, generating massive pressure on the striker to score the one good chance he might get, when no striker will take every chance they get, especially at L1 level.
    Bogle has some decent attributes, sufficient ability at this level ...... and has shown he's capable of hard graft for the team ethic.
    What he hasn't shown is composure in front of goal.

Watch old videos - and for Grimsby, with his confidence running high, he was performing very well and scoring plenty, including some outstanding goals.
    Which to me suggests, that after a poor run, his problems here at Charlton are in his head.

Football isn't just played with the feet, it's played in the head too.
    You need mental strength, decision making, belief and composure to perform well.

And right now, that's what Bogle is struggling with. IMO.

Doesn't help if his manager calls him out & subs him after 30 mins. If you are going through a dry spell / bad run the last thing you need is your manager not having faith in you. 

Loyalty works both ways.
    Quite agree, Golfie.

I don't have a problem if a manager wants to sub a player after 30 minutes.

But I really don't like players being publicly dressed down or even humiliated.
    If a manager needs to deal with a situation, keep it behind closed doors.

Bowyer himself has often said, "some players need a kick up the arse, others need an arm round the shoulder".

• Bogle got more goals than Hemed and Parker put together, don’t know why he gets so much grief!
    Hemed was the league above, which is a big step up, in a struggling side. Parker was awful but was part of a team that got promoted, so is forgotten. For me, Bogle is one of the worst strikers I have ever seen play for us, up there with Abbott
  • Oggy Red said:
    I was sceptical about Bogle from the start, but agree that much of the criticism is well OTT, as was the criticism of Bonne before him. We've not created many chances since the start of 2020, generating massive pressure on the striker to score the one good chance he might get, when no striker will take every chance they get, especially at L1 level.
    Bogle has some decent attributes, sufficient ability at this level ...... and has shown he's capable of hard graft for the team ethic.

Watch old videos - and for Grimsby, with his confidence running high, he was performing very well and scoring plenty, including some outstanding goals.
    Which to me suggests, that after a poor run, his problems here at Charlton are in his head.

You need mental strength, decision making, belief and composure to perform well.

That's normal with strikers though. When confident they stick the chances away, when out of form they miss them. Managers then have to build up their confidence and self belief, not slag them off...

• I was sceptical about Bogle from the start, but agree that much of the criticism is well OTT, as was the criticism of Bonne before him. We've not created many chances since the start of 2020, generating massive pressure on the striker to score the one good chance he might get, when no striker will take every chance they get, especially at L1 level.
    We’re joint second top scorers in the league this season, that would suggest we create chances? Bogle is poor, the two goals he scored he looked like he would miss, even with an open goal against Swindon.
  • sam3110 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said: 
    if we can only have one player it would be a toss up between another striker (with physical presence and pace ideally or an athletic / physically imposing midfielder - ideally we get both after managing to offload a couple somehow 
    Can’t see we’d been in for another striker when we have 4 plus Smyth. I think it will definitely be a CM. Could be a CB but Deji playing well and Famewo back makes that doubtful. 
    because washington, bogle and smyth are useless? if chucks gets injured, its season over   - id make it the priority 
    Washington is far from useless. How are you proposing we fund this striker? 
    same way you'd fund the player u want - he;s useless as an attacking threat 
    Not this bollocks again, you keep banging the same drum but for the amount we can afford and how many goals he's got so far, there's no one out there that we can bring in, in January, that would be markedly better
    you were saying?
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said: 
    if we can only have one player it would be a toss up between another striker (with physical presence and pace ideally or an athletic / physically imposing midfielder - ideally we get both after managing to offload a couple somehow 
    Can’t see we’d been in for another striker when we have 4 plus Smyth. I think it will definitely be a CM. Could be a CB but Deji playing well and Famewo back makes that doubtful. 
    because washington, bogle and smyth are useless? if chucks gets injured, its season over   - id make it the priority 
    childish i know, but i think you'll find i was right and you were wrong - just as i said - unless bowyer is wrong as well - always helps to trust your own eyes if you know what you're talking about when watching football and ignore the stats - another striker and hopefully we will never have to put up with any of bogle, washington and smyth on the pitch again but taht would be in an ideal world
  • Agree that Bogle's issue is a lack of confidence. A new fresh challenge is what he needs & I hope it works out for him.

Grimsby (where he is adored by the fans) would make alot of sense as a place to kick start his career.
  • I can see why TS was pleased to sign Stockley.
    He looks like Kirk Douglas in The Vikings.
    We're gonna smash our way outta this league.
    Move over the lightweights :smile:
    Thats funny because I always call Ronne Schwartz, Bernie. Only in my head to myself as nobody else cares in my house. 
    You'll need to explain that.
    Sorry mate, bit obscure. But Bernie Schwartz is Tony Curtis's real name, Kirk's being Issur Danielovitch.

A couple of good Jewish Vikings as my father likes to say.
    Don't worry, I got it!
  • I can see why TS was pleased to sign Stockley.
    He looks like Kirk Douglas in The Vikings.
    We're gonna smash our way outta this league.
    Move over the lightweights :smile:
    Thats funny because I always call Ronne Schwartz, Bernie. Only in my head to myself as nobody else cares in my house. 
    You'll need to explain that.
    Sorry mate, bit obscure. But Bernie Schwartz is Tony Curtis's real name, Kirk's being Issur Danielovitch.

A couple of good Jewish Vikings as my father likes to say.
    Thanks, I gave up trying to work that out after a couple of hours :-)
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Doesn't help if his manager calls him out & subs him after 30 mins. If you are going through a dry spell / bad run the last thing you need is your manager not having faith in you. 

Loyalty works both ways.
    Quite agree, Golfie.

I don't have a problem if a manager wants to sub a player after 30 minutes.

But I really don't like players being publicly dressed down or even humiliated.
    If a manager needs to deal with a situation, keep it behind closed doors.

Bowyer himself has often said, "some players need a kick up the arse, others need an arm round the shoulder".

Then you pick him again for the next game and repeat it.  I don't think it's a coincidence that Bogle had his best game in a while against Peterbrough, after missing a few games. 

He couldn't because Chuks is made of glass?  He bloody well could have done, there is no rules that say you have to play one of them. In fact Bowyer has done so in the past. 

I can't think of a player, that has started as many games as Bogle, that hasn't been given a fair chance to succeed. We are now left with a player we almost can't play and a waste of a squad place. That's poor management, which ever way you look at it. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyway back on topic, I would love the last/next signing to be a 19-21 year old left sided center back on a perm to be back up to Famewo this season and either first choice in league 1 next season or back up to A N Other in the championship next season.

That's how you rebuild. 
    How about this guys seems to fit the profile.

Xavier Tshimanga Kamaluba Ntite Mukendi Mpoyi Mbuyamba

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_Mbuyamba

• CH4RLTON said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyway back on topic, I would love the last/next signing to be a 19-21 year old left sided center back on a perm to be back up to Famewo this season and either first choice in league 1 next season or back up to A N Other in the championship next season.

That's how you rebuild. 
    How about this guys seems to fit the profile.

Xavier Tshimanga Kamaluba Ntite Mukendi Mpoyi Mbuyamba

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_Mbuyamba

Absolute legend for me on FM20 👍🏼
  • Sponsored links:

• Can’t say Bogle isn’t a trier, just not a lot of ball quality there at all.  Stockley from what I’ve seen is a big upgrade on him.
    Your right he has tries my patience every minute he is on the pitch!
  • cazo said:
    Randall not in the Exeter team today so must be on the move somewhere hopefully us
    C'est tres interessant ..... !

• If you believe FootballInsider(?????) we've gone back with a 500k bid that has been turned down 
  • cazo said:
    Randall not in the Exeter team today so must be on the move somewhere hopefully us
    Would be quality but Rich Cawley made it sound like we were priced out of a move. Let’s cross those fingers and toes as he’s 100% a big prospect.
  • RedJohn said:
    cazo said:
    Hamstring injury according to Exeter.
    He must already play for us then to get injured 😂
  • cazo said:
    Hamstring injury according to local press. He is clearly trying to fit in with the way we do things already!
  • Oggy Red said:
    RedRobin said:
     Bogle is poor, the two goals he scored he looked like he would miss, even with an open goal against Swindon.
    I get the impression that you didn't really see or understand that incident.

Watch the highlights. As Bogle was going round the keeper, he was clearly fouled by the keeper.
    Despite being knocked off balance and stumbling, to Bogle's credit he tried to stay on his feet and rolled the ball into the net.

Other players may have just gone down for a penalty. It would have been an easier option.

Bogle should at least be given credit where it is due.

Are you going to defend what happened 5 minutes later?