Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Oggy Red said:
    Stockley played well against us last season from what i can remember but would have thought a centre back would be in order rather than another striker.
    Stockley would be another big unit to defend set pieces in our box.

..and we all know how that turns out, especially in the last few minutes of injury time.
  • edited January 2021
    Chunes said:
    From a news management/spinning point of view, I'd be amazed if there wasn't someone coming in today to offset the bad new of Doughty leaving.
    Richard Murray would have announced a special 'strategic partnership' with Stoke that meant we would be getting their best young players on loan
    While Katie would have the Community Trust thanking him for his service as the club had donated an 1% of his undisclosed transfer fee to them. While she is leaking to the media he went for £350! 

• Big panic going on at The Valley.

Olly can't find Scarfy. And the club shop isn't open today. :smile:

• Crispy said:
    Just saw an article about Ben Thompson getting a lack of game time @ Millwall with Portsmouth interested on loan

He probably wouldnt join us given his Millwall links but would be perfect for us at this level

Guy I work with is very good mates with Thompson and said he definitely wouldn't sign for us!
    Yeah I dont blame him, he's a local lad so fully understands the rivalry
    I mean, he outright called us trainspotters last season so no way he would ever come here
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    Crispy said:
    Just saw an article about Ben Thompson getting a lack of game time @ Millwall with Portsmouth interested on loan

He probably wouldnt join us given his Millwall links but would be perfect for us at this level

Guy I work with is very good mates with Thompson and said he definitely wouldn't sign for us!
    I mean, he outright called us trainspotters last season so no way he would ever come here
    We've just got rid of a spanner, don't need a new one.
  • Rothko said:
    I'm going to take the guess that Stockley was training with the first team this morning, that needs to finish, and then photos, interviews etc and announce later. Paperwork is probably already in 
    Yeah I reckon there will be a 5pm or so announcement
  • Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Stockley, Aneke, Schwartz and Washington competing for two spots would be superb. Can’t see how we can afford him unless we are able to move Bogle on though. 
    It wouldn't be ‘superb’ but any striker force where bogle isn’t playing is a huge uplift. 
    I think it would be. Schwartz early days but he’s a finisher. Stockley is a great target man at this level. Aneke been fantastic and Washington chips in. How many teams have 4 strikers as good as those? 
    Stockley - 9 goals in 60 odd games
    Shwartz - Unknown at this level
    Aneke - Great player, can't do 90 mins. Let alone two/three games in a week
    Washington - Is ok

It isn't 'Superb'. Taylor and Grant in League One is Superb. 
    But they only played half a season together.  Grant was only a 1st team player for us for 5 months.  It's not like we were running away with the league when Grant left.

Its like "5 games Innis", it's like Hunt and Mendonca, these mythical partnerships that only exist in people's fantasies.

People will be banging on about Di Canio and Bent soon. 

But calling Shwartz and Stockley superb when they haven't played 90 minutes in a Charlton shirt between them is correct .....

No obviously that is equally ludicrous.

But we have some other incredibly mythical partnerships, Innis and Famewo, Grant and Taylor are the two that get banded about on almost a daily basis. 

Grant and Taylor played about 15 games together, Innis and Famewo 5.  It's not significantly more than that games that than Stockley and Schwartz or Bent and Di Canio have/will/did is it. 
    The argument wasn’t about partnerships or minutes played, the argument was players.

It’s simple. Grant and Taylor are superb players to have in league one. Our current crop are not. 
    It’s not. It’s your opinion. Easy saying Grant and Taylor are superb in hindsight, not many would have been saying that in July 2018. Plus I’m talking about depth, not just the starting duo. 

In fairness, superb might have been a slight exaggeration. I still think those four are outstanding depth. If you disagree, tell me which teams in this division have 3rd/4th choice strikers better than two of the above. 

I think someone like Washington would be a lot better alongside Stockley too. 
    No it’s very simple.

Of the 3 strikers who are Charlton players and you are saying are superb, what have they shown you to warrant this title? Chucks yes but again he hasn’t got the fitness so IMO he isn’t superb for this league. Adding Shockley doesn’t just change the front 3 to superb players.

Grant and Taylor have done it and are a superb players for league 1. 

It's easy to judge the "class of 18/19" with hindsight, because they got promoted. If they were that fucking good why did it take they play offs, a penalty shoot out and a injury time winner to go up?

We should have gone up as champions with over 100 points, the way everyone now bigs them up. 
    You forgot the traditional Charlton mid-season injury crisis in  2018/19 ........ which hit us hard that winter.

It wasn't until players came back from injury, that we got our winning run together.

After which Grant had gone. 

My point is/was anyone that had Grant to score a Premier league goal in 2019 in July 2018 is either lying or a football genius who could make a fortune.

By no stretch was our squad as of the 1st of September 2018 any where near as experienced or proven as our squad was when ever the window shut this year. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    I'm going to take the guess that Stockley was training with the first team this morning, that needs to finish, and then photos, interviews etc and announce later. Paperwork is probably already in 
    I bloody hope not ! if you are correct then expect the announcement followed by another saying he has picked up an injury in training and is out for a couple of months !
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    Crispy said:

Respect him for that. Can only dream about giving it to a local rival when playing for the club you support!
  • So glad I don't do twatter, there's enough negativity on here to get along with. Takes all sorts to make the world to go round though.
  • Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Had Bristol Rovers or Sunderland signed Stockley and scored a few or against us and we knew we missed out we would moan for a lack of signing him.

It's not like bad centrebacks cost us the 3 points at Peterborough, ok Pearce made a mistake and the other goal was due to a slip but had we had more bite up top or had more up top the game could have been out of sight. Needlessly buying a centre back who we aren't sure of when we have two competent ones and 2 to come back would be a panic buy, getting a player in who our manager rates, is not. He will make us better not worse.

Twitter is a swamp atm, people being super negative as per 
    Do yourself a favour, Don't even bother looking at it.

Interesting that Bowyer is talking about 2/3 more. I assume that includes Stockley. So I wonder what other positions he is looking at. A young cb who he feels can make a step up ready for next season to replace Pearce would be a hope of mine.
  • Can Stockley do a job and centre half? :)
  • I know this might be considered sacrilegious by some but Chuks is very inconsistent.

OK when he is good he is very very good, but when he is bad...

He does not really bring others into the game quickly enough and often turns rather than holds the ball up. He has scored some great individual goals as result but for me there is not enough in his all round play to be our main striker.

We can not have our best striker being one who has most of his best games in the last 30 minutes.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Had Bristol Rovers or Sunderland signed Stockley and scored a few or against us and we knew we missed out we would moan for a lack of signing him.

It's not like bad centrebacks cost us the 3 points at Peterborough, ok Pearce made a mistake and the other goal was due to a slip but had we had more bite up top or had more up top the game could have been out of sight. Needlessly buying a centre back who we aren't sure of when we have two competent ones and 2 to come back would be a panic buy, getting a player in who our manager rates, is not. He will make us better not worse.

Interesting that Bowyer is talking about 2/3 more. I assume that includes Stockley. So I wonder what other positions he is looking at. A young cb who he feels can make a step up ready for next season to replace Pearce would be a hope of mine.
    It's mainly when Cawley post I have a ganders at the replies, I feel like we have a new wave of fans coming through that are really arrogant, you would think we are one of the biggest clubs in the world based on some replies.

Can Stockley do a job and centre half? :)Tbf 
  • Sponsored links:

Have to quote you again as I've been done by arguably the most frustrating quote system I've ever come across on a forum haha

Tbf he will help us more from corners and set pieces, we have missed out on some physical players, Accrington was a bad one for it 
  • I know this might be considered sacrilegious by some but Chuks is very inconsistent.

OK when he is good he is very very good, but when he is bad...

He does not really bring others into the game quickly enough and often turns rather than holds the ball up. He has scored some great individual goals as result but for me there is not enough in his all round play to be our main striker.

We can not have our best striker being one who has most of his best games in the last 30 minutes.
    Chuks was a Number 10 rather than a number 9, and indeed a couple of his recent goals have been as a battering ram Number 10, running from outside the box
  • Redrobo said:
    Play Bogle at CH. No chance of an own goal 😉
    You say that. Remember when a certain goal shy josh maggenis popped up at the far post to smash the ball onto the roof of the net to hand Portsmouth a 1-0 win at the valley
  • edited January 2021
    RC_CAFC said:
    Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Had Bristol Rovers or Sunderland signed Stockley and scored a few or against us and we knew we missed out we would moan for a lack of signing him.

It's mainly when Cawley post I have a ganders at the replies, I feel like we have a new wave of fans coming through that are really arrogant, you would think we are one of the biggest clubs in the world based on some replies.
    Self entitlement and too much Championship Manager gaming is my guess, just because we’ve got a rich caring owner. Go through 60 odd years of years of supporting this club with more downs than ups like I have and then have a moan up. 

We’re in L1, the salary cup prevents us from signing Messi, Stockley is more than capable of doing a target man job at this level with his hold up play and height in both boxes at least until the end of the season. What’s not to like 🤔
  • Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    I'm bemused by the idea of us signing another striker. If he turns out to be the same level as Bogle/Washington/Smyth then it will be a complete waste when we're struggling in other areas. I can only assume he's head and shoulders above what we have already.
    No. He's different. Different qualities. Could bring some of the things the team are lacking over the full 90 minutes.

But then you can have 5 strikers, all with different qualities, but you can still only play 2 at a time

Which is where we miss Taylor, as he was a quality all round striker. He was a target man, he was quite fast, he could run wide and stretch the defence, he could finish.
  • Anyone remember which pair of hapless centre back Stockley schooled at the Valley last season? I remember him looking good but this seems a key piece of info when making an assessment as to how relevant his performance vs us was.

None the less, he’s fitter than Aneke (for now) and better than Bogle so from that perspective at least it’s seems a good signing.

Hopefully an faster version of Darren Pratley and a centre back to come. 
  • Anyone remember which pair of hapless centre back Stockley schooled at the Valley last season? I remember him looking good but this seems a key piece of info when making an assessment as to how relevant his performance vs us was.

None the less, he’s fitter than Aneke (for now) and better than Bogle so from that perspective at least it’s seems a good signing.

Hopefully an faster version of Darren Pratley and a centre back to come. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50197721

Amusing that the BBC match report uses the exact work "grapples" concerning the penalty Pearce gave away...

It took a disputed penalty to earn the three points when home defender Jason Pearce's grapples with Jayden Stockley proved sufficient to make the North End striker stumble to the floor.
    Have to quote you again as I've been done by arguably the most frustrating quote system I've ever come across on a forum haha

This! This! This!

• Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Had Bristol Rovers or Sunderland signed Stockley and scored a few or against us and we knew we missed out we would moan for a lack of signing him.

It’s not just Twitter.