Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Belv said:
    MattF said:
    Maybe we could loan Bogle to Bristol Rovers as an apology for gazumping them over Stockley
    I don't think that's as daft as you think it is ...
    I'm only half joking, might not be a bad option for them
  • I'm confused what our position actually is on the cap if we can afford to bring in yet another striker
    Depends if Preston are happy to pick up his wages in full now compared to what other clubs are happy to do over their players
  • MattF said:
    Belv said:
    MattF said:
    Maybe we could loan Bogle to Bristol Rovers as an apology for gazumping them over Stockley
    Guess it depends if Bristol Rovers can pick up Bogle's wages - No point loaning him out if a club cant take his salary off our hands
  • MattF said:
    Belv said:
    MattF said:
    I think he may genuinely have been offered.
  • MattF said:
    Belv said:
    MattF said:
    Guess it depends if Bristol Rovers can pick up Bogle's wages - No point loaning him out if a club cant take his salary off our hands
    Although if loaning him out means he's not in our squad doesn't that mean he's no longer in our salary cap, whether we're still paying his wages or not?
  • I'm surprised people are surprised. Bogle does not look like adding to his 2 goals in 17 games. If he had taken the air swipes, 5 yard out dinks, 1on1s, then I dont think we would have been looking. But we will not challenge for playoffs or games with our 2nd big man likely to score 4 goals. 

A big man who knows the league and can take 1 from 2/3 chances in the box needed. 
  • MattF said:
    MattF said:
    Belv said:
    MattF said:
    Although if loaning him out means he's not in our squad doesn't that mean he's no longer in our salary cap, whether we're still paying his wages or not?
    I'd presume not as Shinnie is an example of how different loans can have different wage structures
  • Sponsored links:

• Stockley played well against us last season from what i can remember but would have thought a centre back would be in order rather than another striker.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    I am surprised that anyone thinks that Stockley will be a genuine upgrade on what we have regarding frequency of scoring, unless they think Aneke is getting too much playing  time for his own good.

Otherwise the real problem is CB cover really.
    But as people have been saying. Scoring isn't too much of an issue. Us playing better is. Defending doesn't start at defence. It starts upfront with the ability to hold the ball further up the pitch. This is why a player in the mould of Stockley is so important in helping us play further forward.
    Exactly. We need to reduce the pressure on our defenders. Ideally we don't want them to have the ball at all given the current kamikaze strategy they've got going on, so Stockley can offer a lot more than goals if he has us playing the game higher up the pitch. Plus, if we're holding on to a one goal lead late in a match then clearances sticking up top when they get made makes a huge difference.
    Not to mention helping out in our box defending late game set pieces, Yann was massive for that.
  • edited January 2021
    Chunes said:
    I'm bemused by the idea of us signing another striker. If he turns out to be the same level as Bogle/Washington/Smyth then it will be a complete waste when we're struggling in other areas. I can only assume he's head and shoulders above what we have already.
    Definitely Smyth but Bogle and Chucks pass the height test 😉.

ps I’d be interested to know Joe Hart’s opinion on this as well 😆.
  • Sponsored links:

• Having a player like Stockley will improve our chances of going up. The current crop won’t get us up I don’t think, relying on Chuks who can break down at any moment is risky, Bogle isn’t up to it and Ronnie isn’t fit to start right now. So I can see the reasons why we’ve gone for Stockley. 
  • I like Stockley we must be confident of shipping someone out in order to make this happen within the cap though?
  • edited January 2021
    Doughty will be gone.

At the start of the window Bowyer said we still had a little bit to play with and since then Levitt has gone back and Doughty will be leaving.
  • edited January 2021
    Belv said:
    Doughty will be gone.

At the start of the window Bowyer said we still had a little bit to play with and since then Levitt has gone back and Doughty will be leaving.
    Doughty is too young to count in the cap, ditto Levitt

We've brought in Schwartz who must be on a reasonable wage though
  • edited January 2021
    I am surprised that anyone thinks that Stockley will be a genuine upgrade on what we have regarding frequency of scoring, unless they think Aneke is getting too much playing  time for his own good.

Otherwise the real problem is CB cover really.
    I see your point however, Stockley is a very good signing and in this league his is the exact kind of striker I would want us to have. I remember last season when Preston beat us 0-1 at home and he won the penalty. That game sticks out to me as I remember he bullied our entire team. 

He would be our best striker with Aneke. I like the others (don’t know enough about Ronnie) Washington is ok and bogle would need to move on which I think he would.

But with that in mind, I am amazed we still have not signed a centre back. As much as I like Stockley and pleased with the signing it really won’t make a difference if we are refusing to bring in a CB and sort that mess out. 
    He could score a hatty on his debut and we would loose 4-3.
    So this is a weird one for me, I’m very happy with signing him but same time frustrated we are not moving in on defenders. 

• It's clear we aren't getting players in the order that we might need them, but we've listed 2/3 positions down and they might come in a different order,
  • Surely we are going to have to move one or two on? Not sure how we can afford Stockley. That's 6 loans so you wouldn't expect us to sign a 7th, even if they are U21. Just can't see who we could move on, Bogle and Williams only two and not sure either are that realistic. 
  • So nothing to announce as yet. 
  • Scoham said:
    Although Stockley is a good player, i'm not quite sure why we're putting so much focus on signing another striker when our problems are at the back.

In this window we'll have signed Millar, Schwartz and now potentially Stockley..........all whilst conceding an average of 2 goals per game in recent weeks.
    We’re having to loan players that won’t cost us much at all, maybe nothing. I assume Bowyer wants experienced players over u21s so it may just be down to what’s available.

If Stockley is able to hold up the ball and complete in the air with some consistency then that’s something we don’t really have in the squad that can also make a huge difference. If he can do that role while also being a goal threat then even better.
    Perhaps Bowyer has been inspired by Ossie Ardiles spell as Spurs manager and will now be rolling out a new 3-2-5 formation.
    Just like a foosball table