Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Stockley, Aneke, Schwartz and Washington competing for two spots would be superb. Can’t see how we can afford him unless we are able to move Bogle on though. 
    It wouldn't be ‘superb’ but any striker force where bogle isn’t playing is a huge uplift. 
    I think it would be. Schwartz early days but he’s a finisher. Stockley is a great target man at this level. Aneke been fantastic and Washington chips in. How many teams have 4 strikers as good as those? 
    Stockley - 9 goals in 60 odd games
    Shwartz - Unknown at this level
    Aneke - Great player, can't do 90 mins. Let alone two/three games in a week
    Washington - Is ok

It isn't 'Superb'. Taylor and Grant in League One is Superb. 
    But they only played half a season together.  Grant was only a 1st team player for us for 5 months.  It's not like we were running away with the league when Grant left.

Its like "5 games Innis", it's like Hunt and Mendonca, these mythical partnerships that only exist in people's fantasies.

People will be banging on about Di Canio and Bent soon. 

But calling Shwartz and Stockley superb when they haven't played 90 minutes in a Charlton shirt between them is correct .....

• edited January 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Stockley, Aneke, Schwartz and Washington competing for two spots would be superb. Can’t see how we can afford him unless we are able to move Bogle on though. 
    It wouldn't be ‘superb’ but any striker force where bogle isn’t playing is a huge uplift. 
    I think it would be. Schwartz early days but he’s a finisher. Stockley is a great target man at this level. Aneke been fantastic and Washington chips in. How many teams have 4 strikers as good as those? 
    Washington - Is ok

But they only played half a season together.  Grant was only a 1st team player for us for 5 months.  It's not like we were running away with the league when Grant left.

Its like "5 games Innis", it's like Hunt and Mendonca, these mythical partnerships that only exist in people's fantasies.

But calling Shwartz and Stockley superb when they haven't played 90 minutes in a Charlton shirt between them is correct .....

No obviously that is equally ludicrous.

But we have some other incredibly mythical partnerships, Innis and Famewo, Grant and Taylor are the two that get banded about on almost a daily basis. 

Grant and Taylor played about 15 games together, Innis and Famewo 5.  It's not significantly more than that games that than Stockley and Schwartz or Bent and Di Canio have/will/did is it. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Washington - Is ok

But we have some other incredibly mythical partnerships, Innis and Famewo, Grant and Taylor are the two that get banded about on almost a daily basis. 

Grant and Taylor played about 15 games together, Innis and Famewo 5.  It's not significantly more than that games that than Stockley and Schwartz or Bent and Di Canio have/will/did is it. 
    The argument wasn’t about partnerships or minutes played, the argument was players.

It’s simple. Grant and Taylor are superb players to have in league one. Our current crop are not. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Washington - Is ok

The argument wasn’t about partnerships or minutes played, the argument was players.

It’s simple. Grant and Taylor are superb players to have in league one. Our current crop are not. 
    It’s not. It’s your opinion. Easy saying Grant and Taylor are superb in hindsight, not many would have been saying that in July 2018. Plus I’m talking about depth, not just the starting duo. 

In fairness, superb might have been a slight exaggeration. I still think those four are outstanding depth. If you disagree, tell me which teams in this division have 3rd/4th choice strikers better than two of the above. 

I think someone like Washington would be a lot better alongside Stockley too. 
    No it’s very simple.

Of the 3 strikers who are Charlton players and you are saying are superb, what have they shown you to warrant this title? Chucks yes but again he hasn’t got the fitness so IMO he isn’t superb for this league. Adding Shockley doesn’t just change the front 3 to superb players.

Grant and Taylor have done it and are a superb players for league 1. 
  • A million quid for a player who has played the second tier.
    A million for the Exeter bloke. Hmm
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Washington - Is ok

It’s not. It’s your opinion. Easy saying Grant and Taylor are superb in hindsight, not many would have been saying that in July 2018. Plus I’m talking about depth, not just the starting duo. 

In fairness, superb might have been a slight exaggeration. I still think those four are outstanding depth. If you disagree, tell me which teams in this division have 3rd/4th choice strikers better than two of the above. 

No it’s very simple.

Of the 3 strikers who are Charlton players and you are saying are superb, what have they shown you to warrant this title? Chucks yes but again he hasn’t got the fitness so IMO he isn’t superb for this league. Adding Shockley doesn’t just change the front 3 to superb players.

But Grant hadn’t. Unless your talking about him now? That’s a daft comparison. Taylor was off the back of a couple of decent seasons so I get that. Although that team had a much stronger midfield supporting too, Aribo would have helped. 

I have stated I meant superb depth repeatedly, not necessarily individually. Maybe a slight exaggeration but those options in League 1 under a salary cap, for me would be fantastic. There all different aswell so gives you a variety of options. 

If you disagree that’s fine, respect your view and I appreciate there’s some guesswork in mine. Time will tell on Schwartz in particular and I can’t argue with you on Anekes fitness. But the problem we’ve had recently is the reliance on him because Bogle isn’t good enough. If you had someone like Stockley it wouldn’t be as big a deal. 
  • Croydon said:
    They'll be called superb now, then when we finish 8th they'll be dregs we got last minute due to the salary cap etc etc

Wibble
    Of course, I’ll be editing this comments and denying it happened. 
  • Sponsored links:

• (Solely in an attempt to put a reverse jinx on it but) let's face it it's all irrelevant anyway because there's no way it'll be us that whichever Preston player it is is coming to us
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Washington - Is ok

How comes you provided Stockleys goals for Preston and not Exeter? 

You say Taylor and Grant was superb, of course I don’t disagree. But very few thought Grant would score that amount of goals. We ended the season with Parker and that was it. Any two of those probably aren’t as good as Taylor and Grant, but the depth would be extremely strong. 
    Because I’m going on his current club form.

We’ve hardly been banging them in this season and we’ve got 3 of the 4 players above already playing. 
    Hardly banging them in.  
    You may want to look at the goal scoring charts.
    We are the 3rd highest scorers in the league.
    in comparison to others I’d say we are ok on that front.
    keeping the goals out is the problem.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Washington - Is ok

No it’s very simple.

But Grant and Taylor hadn't done it before the start of that season.  Neither had Bielik, Cullen, Sarr, Dijksteel and Philips. 

Grant only started the season because Igor was injured, again. 

Maddison, Shinnie, Amos, JFC, Purrington, Washington, Smyth, Pratley, Pearce, Oshilaja and Matthews have all played at league 1 level before and either got promoted or transfers to the Championship on the back of their league 1 performances.

Williams, Watson and Gunter have hardly ever played at league 1 because they have been playing at a higher level. 

It's easy to judge the "class of 18/19" with hindsight, because they got promoted. If they were that fucking good why did it take they play offs, a penalty shoot out and a injury time winner to go up?

We should have gone up as champions with over 100 points, the way everyone now bigs them up. 
    We would have had it not been for injuries and Grant leaving in January. Grant was absolutely potent and would have scored as much as Lyle imo had he stayed, if not more. Their partnership is something we won't see for a while sadly. We were 3 behind Barnsley, 6 behind Luton, if Grant stayed I reckon we finish top, but we will never know and I wouldn't change what happened in the end for anything so..

Anyway, really like the idea of Jayden, big stocky lad (terrible pun intended) and will bring out the best in others I would say. Forget his goal record, he will put a decent amount away at this level and will open the game up for others with his hold up, ideal forward for this league paired with another striker I would say. Remember him bullying our defenders and seen him do it to others, typical Bowyer player/signing 

Let's hope this is a goer

• Got to get it over the line before midday if they want him to play on Saturday...
  • Hopefully BFG is putting in a good word 
  • Wonder if a Striker will end up leaving... Unfortunately Omar I'm looking at you
  • Sponsored links:

• Wonder if a Striker will end up leaving... Unfortunately Omar I'm looking at you
    You'd definitely expect so wouldn't you. Unless we send Smyth back. 
  • Think if Stockley comes in then Smyth will be used as a winger from here on in. 

Not a bad thing..hes quick and works hard and isnt too bad on the ball..albeit a bit rusty at the moment with not having a consistent run of games. 

Another hard tackling CM will be good though I suspect that will see Pratley return to CB cover duties. 

You'd definitely expect so wouldn't you. Unless we send Smyth back. 
    Would only send Smyth back if we're going to get someone to replace him like Randall
  • Although Stockley is a good player, i'm not quite sure why we're putting so much focus on signing another striker when our problems are at the back.

In this window we'll have signed Millar, Schwartz and now potentially Stockley..........all whilst conceding an average of 2 goals per game in recent weeks.
    We’re having to loan players that won’t cost us much at all, maybe nothing. I assume Bowyer wants experienced players over u21s so it may just be down to what’s available.

If Stockley is able to hold up the ball and complete in the air with some consistency then that’s something we don’t really have in the squad that can also make a huge difference. If he can do that role while also being a goal threat then even better.
  • Scoham said:
    Although Stockley is a good player, i'm not quite sure why we're putting so much focus on signing another striker when our problems are at the back.

In this window we'll have signed Millar, Schwartz and now potentially Stockley..........all whilst conceding an average of 2 goals per game in recent weeks.
    We’re having to loan players that won’t cost us much at all, maybe nothing. I assume Bowyer wants experienced players over u21s so it may just be down to what’s available.

If Stockley is able to hold up the ball and complete in the air with some consistency then that’s something we don’t really have in the squad that can also make a huge difference. If he can do that role while also being a goal threat then even better.
    Perhaps Bowyer has been inspired by Ossie Ardiles spell as Spurs manager and will now be rolling out a new 3-2-5 formation.
  • We're looking at having 7 loan players then? Assuming Alfie comes back. Who misses out when they're all fit?