Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• I shall prepare my "why bother?" face for the deadline close...

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I really would not be supprised if someone like Williams leaves in this window. 

I could see a struggling championship club thinking its a gamble worth taking.  Either on loan or taking over the rest of his contract. 

He doesn't have a natural position in a 442 or a 433 and if Bowyer went back to the diamond he could use Maddison, Chuks, Shinnie, possibly even Millar or Morgan as the 10.

I wouldn't do it, but I can see why you would. 

On another note I am not sure it's the salary cap that is the problem, or how we have used it.  Lots of people talking about a rebuild next summer but a lot of the cap is going to be taken up by Watson, Gunter, Bogle and Maddison all have multiple years, or options, in their current contracts.

This squad was put together to get promoted this season.  Next season the squad won't get magically better as Chuks, Amos, Oshilaja, Pearce, Williams, JFC etc all need to be replaced on the league average, regardless of what they are on now. 
    Wouldnt be surprised if either him or Maddison left on loan... You go on twitter and there are a few pathetic rumour accounts saying that the likes of QPR | Rotherham | Wycombe are all interested in the latter
  • Oggy Red said:
    Croydon said:
    Does anybody moan about the cap as much as we do? Seems to get mentioned every single interview.
    You sound like you've completely missed the point?

Right up to the day Thomas took over, Charlton were under transfer embargo. 
    We had been relegated, lost half our players - and couldn't rebuild the squad until after our takeover, hurriedly signing the leftover players that nobody else wanted.

Even before that, other clubs in the Division knew the wage cap was coming ...... so they did most of their business early, without financial restriction.
    The wage cap hasn't impacted them like it has Charlton.

Now it's difficult to improve the squad because of the wretched wage cap.
    And you're surprised that people "moan" in frustration?

Yes I'm aware of all that. I haven't been living under a rock.

The cap is shit, we know that, but bitching about it every interview isn't going to change that. Bowyer signed Watson and Gunter on inflated wages (for the cap), so it's annoying to hear him moaning about it all the time.

• I shall prepare my "why bother?" face for the deadline close...

But you'll get really excited, along with the rest of us, if TS posts a picture of some snacks and 7up on the day
  • Rangers made move for Ofoborh apparently
  • edited January 2021
    Small reminder Lee... The cap situation only gets harder next season as we currently have 26 players approaching the end of their contracts.

10 are kids (italics),
    10 First teamers (bold)
    5 that are loanees  (bold italics) 
    and Oztumer.

Famewo30/06/21
    Maatsen30/06/21
    Millar30/06/21
    Shinnie30/06/21
    Smyth30/06/21
    Oztumer30/06/21
    Dempsey30/06/21
    Watson30/06/21
    Maddison30/06/21
    Matthews30/06/21
    Williams30/06/21
    Pratley30/06/21
    F.Caskey30/06/21
    Amos30/06/21
    Pearce30/06/21
    Oshilaja30/06/21
    Aneke30/06/21
    Mingi30/06/21
    Vega30/06/21
    Clayden30/06/21
    Aoucharia30/06/21
    Harness30/06/21
    Osaghe30/06/21
    Doughty30/06/21
    Vennings30/06/21
    Quitirna30/06/21
  • Belv said:
    Jayden Stockley I'm hearing is a real possibility.
    Another striker? Just don't see it with the cap.

Bogle
    Washington
    Schwartz
    Aneke
    Smyth 

Surely CB is a priority
  • We could have only the following left!:
    Davison30/06/22
    Gunter30/06/22
    Inniss30/06/22
    Bogle30/06/22
    Purrington30/06/22
    Washington30/06/22
    Gilbey30/06/23
    Barker30/06/23
    M.Brewer30/06/23
    Morgan30/06/23
    Henry30/06/23
    With questions around these ones:
    FrenchUnknown
    NessUnknown
    GhandourUnknown
    HarveyUnknown
    AidooUnknown
    WireduUnknown
    AllsopUnknown
    BartonUnknown
  • Sponsored links:

• Belv said:
    Jayden Stockley I'm hearing is a real possibility.
    If that didn't feel like such a finger in the air guess... I'd be listing you hopefully.
  • https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/january-2021-transfer-window-rumours-and-discussion.3432122/page-272

More on Stockley. Someone with past success rate passing on info.

I wonder if Sangaard might teminate a contract to allow us to. It's almost the equivalent of paying £3mil in wages rather than £2.5m. It just means another player on the wage bill who can't play for us but financially it's like operating on a higher wage cap if the player is useless. 
  • Vfrf said:
    https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/january-2021-transfer-window-rumours-and-discussion.3432122/page-272

I wonder if Sangaard might teminate a contract to allow us to. It's almost the equivalent of paying £3mil in wages rather than £2.5m. It just means another player on the wage bill who can't play for us but financially it's like operating on a higher wage cap if the player is useless. 
    If we terminate a contract, we still have to pay up their salary, unless it's under gross misconduct etc... So they'd still form part of the cap wouldn't they? We'd be better off flogging players. 
  • Vfrf said:
    https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/january-2021-transfer-window-rumours-and-discussion.3432122/page-272

Yeah, I heard it from a Rovers contact, same one who gave me a heads up about Oztumer so believe it has legs.
  • edited January 2021
    Someone on the PNE site claiming Bristol Rovers were in for him and we've offered to pay more in wages.

He's a decent player, I liked the look of him when he was at Exeter and he's an upgrade on Bogle and Washington for sure. I'd be happy if we could bring him in. 
  • Stockley would fit in with a) player was all ready to come 'down' and b) 'we acted too slowly as a club' seeing as he was in talks with Bristol R.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Vfrf said:

If we terminate a contract, we still have to pay up their salary, unless it's under gross misconduct etc... So they'd still form part of the cap wouldn't they? We'd be better off flogging players. 
    We still have to pay their wages but if they're not an employee of the club surely that can't count towards the salary cap? 

What I mean is if there wasn't a cap and Thomas gave a wage budget of like £4mil, surely releasing a player but still paying their wages in the background would almost be the same as having a higher wage bill. Ethically they might not want to release a player in that format, and there could be some rule against releasing players for wages I don't know, but if they're not in your submitted squad for the competition (which they wouldn't be as an ex-employee), I don't know how they could be counted towards the salary cap?
  • edited January 2021
    Stockley come to terrorise Jason Pearce again, perhaps this time into retirement. JUST KIDDING JASE
  • Could also if money was not much issue on our end loan players out but continue to pay all/most of their wages like clubs have done for us, they'd be out of the squad and still getting paid, probably a terrible idea
  • Sponsored links:

• Stockley battered us last season.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Vfrf said:

Is impersonating a footballer regarded as gross misconduct?
  • Surprised that we are looking at a striker. We already have 4 of them. If true would be interesting to know the reason behind it.
  • Vfrf said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Vfrf said:

We still have to pay their wages but if they're not an employee of the club surely that can't count towards the salary cap? 

What I mean is if there wasn't a cap and Thomas gave a wage budget of like £4mil, surely releasing a player but still paying their wages in the background would almost be the same as having a higher wage bill. Ethically they might not want to release a player in that format, and there could be some rule against releasing players for wages I don't know, but if they're not in your submitted squad for the competition (which they wouldn't be as an ex-employee), I don't know how they could be counted towards the salary cap?
    Cancelling contracts still counts against the cap, you pay up the contract so it is a salary expenditure. Otherwise loads of teams would just release half their squad! 
  • Bit surprised we're linked to a striker , especially another big physical target man like Stockley. 
  • 995632 said:
    Vfrf said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Vfrf said:

Cancelling contracts still counts against the cap, you pay up the contract so it is a salary expenditure. Otherwise loads of teams would just release half their squad! 
    Where did you read this? I'd assume most clubs aren't in the financial position to pay contracts outside of their playing team. 
  • We score goals need a CB more.
  • Don't forget TS said something like 5-4 is better than 1-0
  • Surprised that we are looking at a striker. We already have 4 of them. If true would be interesting to know the reason behind it.
    don't forget an MLS team was meant to be sniffing around Bogle so who knows ...