Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• I know people will say hes a young lad & needs to do whats best for him but jumping ship from the team who give you the platform to perform on the professional stage is poor. 

When you see how Joe Gomez handled himself in his departure is how it should be done. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Guessing we missed out on the one that was meant to sign pre-pboro.
    Don't think so, Cawley saying "still in play". Could be waiting for Doughty sale to go through for book balancing/wage purposes?
    Doughty's wages don't count for the cap. I doubt TS's finances couldn't cope with us bringing someone in before he was sold either
    in normal circumstances probably not but reduced match day income etc due to Covid has left quite a lot of gaps to plug. TS has been very open about some money needing to go into that side of things above and beyond new signings.
  • Puts us right back to square one with who this signing could be then!
  • Won't be surprised if we still sign the Bournemouth player.
  • That’s a shame if not a shock about Ofoborh as he looks ideal on paper. Hopefully SG and Bows can pick out a nugget from the bargain bin.
  • Dangle names like Ofoborh, Fraser and Randall, hope people don't get too upset when the players we sign others
  • edited January 2021
    It'll come out in the wash if Ofoborh is the player we missed out on by being tardy. That said I can't see loads changing in a couple of days to the point where he was domestic and overseas interest. 

I'd image we probably will be underwhelmed compared to a solid, young, athletic player we were linked with, but whoever it is - we need to give them a chance to earn their stripes. Let's hope the teenage CAFC Twitter bots don't start going at them from the get go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tbh I don’t think we stand a chance of getting Fraser whilst we’re in League One and he’s in form
  • I know people will say hes a young lad & needs to do whats best for him but jumping ship from the team who give you the platform to perform on the professional stage is poor. 

When you see how Joe Gomez handled himself in his departure is how it should be done. 
    That is because  of his family. His father said the club gave him the chance and Joe owed something.  I think that was the quote.
    Doughty was playing for Bromley  last year. Now he thinks he is a mega star. 

Actually apart from some pace which he may or may not retain he seems to lack vision or enough skill. I am thinking back to players like Alan Campbell  , Scott Parker, Billy Bonds and others

I can assure you that he does not think he is a mega star at all

That is because  of his family. His father said the club gave him the chance and Joe owed something.  I think that was the quote.
    Doughty was playing for Bromley  last year. Now he thinks he is a mega star. 

Actually apart from some pace which he may or may not retain he seems to lack vision or enough skill. I am thinking back to players like Alan Campbell  , Scott Parker, Billy Bonds and others

If he really lacks those things and doesn’t have much potential to improve them then taking the best deal now makes sense from his perspective. Even more so with the type of injury that could impact his pace.
  • Freebies loans & rejects! Is this going to be us until we manage to get promoted!  Seems like it! 
    Thomas needs to copy the Chris Powell way of signing the best in this league & league 2! This may cost money as in the Exeter lad but TS has talked the talk, needs to back it up now imo ! 
  • edited January 2021
    Freebies loans & rejects! Is this going to be us until we manage to get promoted!  Seems like it! 
    Thomas needs to copy the Chris Powell way of signing the best in this league & league 2! This may cost money as in the Exeter lad but TS has talked the talk, needs to back it up now imo ! 
    And what if the best are currently on a wage that is more than we can afford?

It worked for Powell because he didnt have a Salary Cap to deal with

Its also easy to say that Sandgaard should pay £1m but for a player who has barely played even League Two football thats a lot of money if it doesnt work out - But then we're always going to be more lax with other people's money
  • Does anybody moan about the cap as much as we do? Seems to get mentioned every single interview.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    I really would not be supprised if someone like Williams leaves in this window. 

I could see a struggling championship club thinking its a gamble worth taking.  Either on loan or taking over the rest of his contract. 

He doesn't have a natural position in a 442 or a 433 and if Bowyer went back to the diamond he could use Maddison, Chuks, Shinnie, possibly even Millar or Morgan as the 10.

I wouldn't do it, but I can see why you would. 

On another note I am not sure it's the salary cap that is the problem, or how we have used it.  Lots of people talking about a rebuild next summer but a lot of the cap is going to be taken up by Watson, Gunter, Bogle and Maddison all have multiple years, or options, in their current contracts.

This squad was put together to get promoted this season.  Next season the squad won't get magically better as Chuks, Amos, Oshilaja, Pearce, Williams, JFC etc all need to be replaced on the league average, regardless of what they are on now. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Dangle names like Ofoborh, Fraser and Randall, hope people don't get too upset when the players we sign others
    Hayden Mullins and Darren Purse
  • Looking at Bowyer's comments about not moving fast enough and how the player would have made the team stronger at peterborough, and knowing how much he loves pratley and jfc, it would all point to another forward or winger - one of smyth, bogle or washington would have been on the bench - big outside chance it was a centre half but unlikely with 2 due back soon 
  • No idea how reliable this account is. Probably not very but ...

• Freebies loans & rejects! Is this going to be us until we manage to get promoted!  Seems like it! 
    Think the Chris Powell model was a bit different- he had his formation and stuck to it. That squad had like for like replacements and he pieced together a squad that fitted his formation. IE - if Wiggins got injured then Evina came in, if Taylor was injured then Cort came in.

Bowyer doesn’t really seem to know what his best formation is and not sure he knows his best XI or hasn’t had the opportunity to play it.  I should imagine Aneke would be in that team, but he is unable to string games together. The squad we have at the moment is disjointed. Powell adopted the approach of not changing his formation for any opposition. We also had a solid spine to the team Hamer, Morrison, Stephens, Hollands and Kermorgant. BWP was a regular goalscorer. Very rarely did Powell make wholesale changes - the fact we have been playing Sat, Tues, Sat, Tues dictates that changes are needed though I guess. The squad we have now is nowhere near the fitness levels of Powell’s team. 

4-4-2 worked in this league, but you have to get the right players in to fit what you are trying to do. I think we lack structure at the moment. 

Gilbey was one of the best players in League 1 last season, but has been crap for us.  I don’t see where he fits in. Smyth and Williams have been tried in different positions, that’s fine as long as they are given a run to make that position theirs. 
    Gilbey was not one of the best players in league 1 last season, he didn't make the team of the season and he was just MK Dons (19th) player of the season which we know doesn't always reflect a players ability.

I believe Gilbey was a bottom of the barrel signing that we would not have moved for if there was more certainty, i.e. TS owning the club at the start of the season
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I really would not be supprised if someone like Williams leaves in this window. 

I could see a struggling championship club thinking its a gamble worth taking.  Either on loan or taking over the rest of his contract. 

He doesn't have a natural position in a 442 or a 433 and if Bowyer went back to the diamond he could use Maddison, Chuks, Shinnie, possibly even Millar or Morgan as the 10.

I wouldn't do it, but I can see why you would. 

On another note I am not sure it's the salary cap that is the problem, or how we have used it.  Lots of people talking about a rebuild next summer but a lot of the cap is going to be taken up by Watson, Gunter, Bogle and Maddison all have multiple years, or options, in their current contracts.

This squad was put together to get promoted this season.  Next season the squad won't get magically better as Chuks, Amos, Oshilaja, Pearce, Williams, JFC etc all need to be replaced on the league average, regardless of what they are on now. 
    With those players with salary options, what would be interesting is whether they are automatic (after a number of appearances) or whether they have to be voluntarily triggered by either us or the player. We could easily end up being stuck with players who decide to stay for another year, knowing that they won't get the same wages elsewhere, taking part of our budget
  • Unless this deal is done before tomorrow 12pm, then this mystery signing won’t be playing Saturday.