Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Wouldnt surprise me if we made Shinnie permanent to free up another loan spot
  • We're looking at having 7 loan players then? Assuming Alfie comes back. Who misses out when they're all fit? 
    Big odds that one will be injured or suspended at any given time. If not, drop one from the match day squad. It really isn’t a problem.
  • Going to have some big boys in the team. Stockley, Innis, Aneke, Famewo, Gunter. Going to be 100x worse when we do our short corner routine
  • Realistically with our injury record, playing twice a week and Bowyer's love of the rotation having 6 loans is no risk at all. They'll all play their fair share.
  • I hope we get Stockley and he works out. A good target man can bring the best out of wingers in a 4-3-3 by driving us up the pitch, so even if Stockley isn't a goal machine he could get more goals out of the likes of Millar, Smyth and Washington which would be good. It would also be nice for us to be in a position where we can start 1 or 2 good strikers who we feel can win us a game and then bring Chuks on in addition, rather than sometimes having to go with a player who just isn't at it and hope we're doing ok by minute 60 when Chuks can be introduced.
  • I hope we get Stockley and he works out. A good target man can bring the best out of wingers in a 4-3-3 by driving us up the pitch, so even if Stockley isn't a goal machine he could get more goals out of the likes of Millar, Smyth and Washington which would be good. It would also be nice for us to be in a position where we can start 1 or 2 good strikers who we feel can win us a game and then bring Chuks on in addition, rather than sometimes having to go with a player who just isn't at it and hope we're doing ok by minute 60 when Chuks can be introduced.
    Agree with this, having one of Stockley/Aneke starting with Schwartz and then bringing on Washington and one of Aneke/Stockley with half hour to go would be excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:
    Wouldnt surprise me if we made Shinnie permanent to free up another loan spot
    It would surprise me, Luton currently paying 80% of his wages
    Yeah but say he is on 10k a week, of which we are paying him 2k of. (these numbers are totally made up and are probably more than he is on).

He has about 5 months, or 20 week left on his contract. So 200ks worth of "wages left".

If we paid Luton 150k for him and they gave him a £120k golden hand shake we could sign him for 1k a week for the rest of the season and neither Luton or him are out of pocket. Roughly. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Yeah but say he is on 10k a week, of which we are paying him 2k of. (these numbers are totally made up and are probably more than he is on).

He has about 5 months, or 20 week left on his contract. So 200ks worth of "wages left".

If we paid Luton 150k for him and they gave him a £120k golden hand shake we could sign him for 1k a week for the rest of the season and neither Luton or him are out of pocket. Roughly. 
    The ever reliable salarysport.com(???) has him as being on 4.5k at Luton, so in that scenario you suggest it might be even easier to get a permanent deal done
  • edited January 2021
    I'm bemused by the idea of us signing another striker. If he turns out to be the same level as Bogle/Washington/Smyth then it will be a complete waste when we're struggling in other areas. I can only assume he's head and shoulders above what we have already.
  • edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:

That's not how the new rules work, otherwise all the bigger teams in League one would be doing this to get round the salary cap.

• edited January 2021
    I can understand it. We need to main men in Aneke and another big man. Both goal threats and not just players who hold up play on the half way line. 

Washington can be used as a hard working/anonymous wide player. 

I'd be happy with this and another CB. Its been Bowyers call with the CB. He opted against it and prefers to blame the defenders mistakes than his mistake not pursuing one.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:

That's not how the new rules work, otherwise all the bigger teams in League one would be doing this to get round the salary cap.

I agree. I'd be extremely shocked if the EFL didn't have a clause about this and would investigate the "golden handshake". It worked with Williams and Inniss but we never paid a fee for those players. 
  • Chunes said:
    I'm bemused by the idea of us signing another striker. I can only assume he's head and shoulders above what we have already. If he turns out to be the same level as Bogle/Washington/Smyth then it will be a complete waste when we're struggling in other areas.  
    Sort of agree with this. But trust Gallen and Bowyer to get it right.

I do think Bowyer needs to moan a bit less about the balance of the squad and work with what he’s got. Yes the summer wasn’t conducive for squad planning but, to coin the manager’s phrase, it is what it is. And for League 1 it ain’t half bad. 
    I’m not 100% sure layering on yet more players is the answer, but we’ll see.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:

I think it could work way as the salary cap is just based to how much you pay a player, not what you paid for him. However, in the above scenario Shiinie isn't going to want to drop from £4.5k pwk to £1k pwk - esp if his new contract with us runs for 2 or 3 years.
  • It makes sense to me.

If true that there is an option to buy at the end of the season then I'd say it's good planning for the long term/next season. I'd be surprised if Bogle is still a Charlton player next season and Smyth and Millar will have returned to their clubs. Stockley is a player that Bowyer admires and sees this as his chance to grab him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Honestly, I don't really get it either. 

We're the 3rd top scorers in the league but have conceded the 9th most goals. We already have 5 strikers but only 3 decent CB's. I'd much rather a backup centre back to stop Pearce playing than I would a 6th striker.
  • MattF said:
    Maybe we could loan Bogle to Bristol Rovers as an apology for gazumping them over Stockley
    I don't think that's as daft as you think it is ...
  • I'm confused what our position actually is on the cap if we can afford to bring in yet another striker