Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• mendonca said:
    I'm sure TS, Ged and Gallen have assessed what they can afford or not. I find it bemusing when fans without anything more than guesswork act like they know the exact financial situations of a club and legal remit they are working within. 
    We do know what legal remit the club is working within. Fair point on them obviously knowing a lot more than us, but it's not entire guesswork, Bows has repeatedly referred to the cap. 

I don't see why it's bemusing to discuss it. We are probably looking to sign two more and personally I think we'll definitely have to offload to get them in. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Wouldnt surprise me if we made Shinnie permanent to free up another loan spot
    It would surprise me, Luton currently paying 80% of his wages
    Yeah but say he is on 10k a week, of which we are paying him 2k of. (these numbers are totally made up and are probably more than he is on).

He has about 5 months, or 20 week left on his contract. So 200ks worth of "wages left".

If we paid Luton 150k for him and they gave him a £120k golden hand shake we could sign him for 1k a week for the rest of the season and neither Luton or him are out of pocket. Roughly. 
    That's not how the new rules work, otherwise all the bigger teams in League one would be doing this to get round the salary cap.

OK, put it another way.  Could the EFL do anything to us because Luton, not us, paid up Shinnie's contract? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Yeah but say he is on 10k a week, of which we are paying him 2k of. (these numbers are totally made up and are probably more than he is on).

He has about 5 months, or 20 week left on his contract. So 200ks worth of "wages left".

If we paid Luton 150k for him and they gave him a £120k golden hand shake we could sign him for 1k a week for the rest of the season and neither Luton or him are out of pocket. Roughly. 
    That's not how the new rules work, otherwise all the bigger teams in League one would be doing this to get round the salary cap.

OK, put it another way.  Could the EFL do anything to us because Luton, not us, paid up Shinnie's contract? 
    How would that work as a transfer though? What are we paying Luton for if they paid up his contract?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:

I very much doubt it. 

I have suggested a couple of times, Loan fees are not included in salary caps so pay a big wedge up front to be able to get better loanees in on zero salary deals...

I'm guessing as an example a £100k loan fee where we pay the salary of say £5k a week for a 10k a week player, might become a £500k loan fee in order to grease palms and cover salary.  
  • 5 minutes and counting Tommy.
    You know Lee will include it in his post match whine  ;)
  • Midday deadline passed
  • 9 goals in 64 at Preston....not exactly ripping up trees there. Only high return appears to be at Exeter.
    True but check the goal record of big Bogle 
  • MattF said:
    Maybe we could loan Bogle to Bristol Rovers as an apology for gazumping them over Stockley
    What have they ever done to us?
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't get that we missed the deadline for "somebody" to play on Tuesday but still no announcement that "somebody" has now signed.
    "Somebody" could have been announced on Tuesday afternoon/evening and maybe that would have given the whole club a boost. 
    I appreciate that as long as "somebody" is signed, paperwork completed, by midday the announcement could be made at any time for that "somebody" to be available for Saturday.
    Maybe LB is waiting for the club shop to get a scarfy delivery.
  • I am surprised that anyone thinks that Stockley will be a genuine upgrade on what we have regarding frequency of scoring, unless they think Aneke is getting too much playing  time for his own good.

Otherwise the real problem is CB cover really.
    He will hold the ball up, pressure defenders into mistakes, win free kicks and throw ins in the opposition half.

Against Swindon  and Shrewsbury, would they have scored if we had someone up top holding the ball up and keeping possession rather than it keep coming back into our box.

this signing (if it happens) suggests that we are singing a player we want, where the early summer signings we to fill gaps on a limited esi budget
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Stockley, Aneke, Schwartz and Washington competing for two spots would be superb. Can’t see how we can afford him unless we are able to move Bogle on though. 
    It wouldn't be ‘superb’ but any striker force where bogle isn’t playing is a huge uplift. 
    I think it would be. Schwartz early days but he’s a finisher. Stockley is a great target man at this level. Aneke been fantastic and Washington chips in. How many teams have 4 strikers as good as those? 
    Stockley - 9 goals in 60 odd games
    Shwartz - Unknown at this level
    Aneke - Great player, can't do 90 mins. Let alone two/three games in a week
    Washington - Is ok

It isn't 'Superb'. Taylor and Grant in League One is Superb. 
    But they only played half a season together.  Grant was only a 1st team player for us for 5 months.  It's not like we were running away with the league when Grant left.

Its like "5 games Innis", it's like Hunt and Mendonca, these mythical partnerships that only exist in people's fantasies.

People will be banging on about Di Canio and Bent soon. 

But calling Shwartz and Stockley superb when they haven't played 90 minutes in a Charlton shirt between them is correct .....

No obviously that is equally ludicrous.

But we have some other incredibly mythical partnerships, Innis and Famewo, Grant and Taylor are the two that get banded about on almost a daily basis. 

Grant and Taylor played about 15 games together, Innis and Famewo 5.  It's not significantly more than that games that than Stockley and Schwartz or Bent and Di Canio have/will/did is it. 
    The argument wasn’t about partnerships or minutes played, the argument was players.

It’s simple. Grant and Taylor are superb players to have in league one. Our current crop are not. 
    It’s not. It’s your opinion. Easy saying Grant and Taylor are superb in hindsight, not many would have been saying that in July 2018. Plus I’m talking about depth, not just the starting duo. 

In fairness, superb might have been a slight exaggeration. I still think those four are outstanding depth. If you disagree, tell me which teams in this division have 3rd/4th choice strikers better than two of the above. 

I think someone like Washington would be a lot better alongside Stockley too. 
    No it’s very simple.

Of the 3 strikers who are Charlton players and you are saying are superb, what have they shown you to warrant this title? Chucks yes but again he hasn’t got the fitness so IMO he isn’t superb for this league. Adding Shockley doesn’t just change the front 3 to superb players.

Grant and Taylor have done it and are a superb players for league 1. 

It's easy to judge the "class of 18/19" with hindsight, because they got promoted. If they were that fucking good why did it take they play offs, a penalty shoot out and a injury time winner to go up?

We should have gone up as champions with over 100 points, the way everyone now bigs them up. 
    You forgot the traditional Charlton mid-season injury crisis in  2018/19 ........ which hit us hard that winter.

It wasn't until players came back from injury, that we got our winning run together.

• Sponsored links:

• From a news management/spinning point of view, I'd be amazed if there wasn't someone coming in today to offset the bad new of Doughty leaving.
  • Just saw an article about Ben Thompson getting a lack of game time @ Millwall with Portsmouth interested on loan

He probably wouldnt join us given his Millwall links but would be perfect for us at this level
  • Just saw an article about Ben Thompson getting a lack of game time @ Millwall with Portsmouth interested on loan

He probably wouldnt join us given his Millwall links but would be perfect for us at this level

Guy I work with is very good mates with Thompson and said he definitely wouldn't sign for us!
  • From a news management/spinning point of view, I'd be amazed if there wasn't someone coming in today to offset the bad new of Doughty leaving.
    Richard Murray would have announced a special 'strategic partnership' with Stoke that meant we would be getting their best young players on loan
  • edited January 2021
    Crispy said:
    Just saw an article about Ben Thompson getting a lack of game time @ Millwall with Portsmouth interested on loan

Guy I work with is very good mates with Thompson and said he definitely wouldn't sign for us!
    Wanker........... Not you Crispy or your mate 😉.
  • Chunes said:
    I'm bemused by the idea of us signing another striker. If he turns out to be the same level as Bogle/Washington/Smyth then it will be a complete waste when we're struggling in other areas. I can only assume he's head and shoulders above what we have already.
    No. He's different. Different qualities. Could bring some of the things the team are lacking over the full 90 minutes.

• Crispy said:
    Just saw an article about Ben Thompson getting a lack of game time @ Millwall with Portsmouth interested on loan

Yeah I dont blame him, he's a local lad so fully understands the rivalry
  • Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    I'm bemused by the idea of us signing another striker. If he turns out to be the same level as Bogle/Washington/Smyth then it will be a complete waste when we're struggling in other areas. I can only assume he's head and shoulders above what we have already.
    No. He's different. Different qualities. Could bring some of the things the team are lacking over the full 90 minutes.

Fitness, skill, height, ability to tackle and shoot, you mean....
  • I'm confused what our position actually is on the cap if we can afford to bring in yet another striker
    The window will be shut in 10 days time.

Expect a couple of players to be moved on/loaned out if necessary.

• Stockley played well against us last season from what i can remember but would have thought a centre back would be in order rather than another striker.
    Stockley would be another big unit to defend set pieces in our box.