Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Tozer was excellent last night....but it was a one-off game of your life type performance. I'm not sure he could do it week in week out, but his long throw-ins were exceptional! He's a big unit as well!!!
  • mart77 said:
    Assume this week then we will sign a CM and a winger, seen as he’s hinted at we’ve got enough defenders and obviously attackers.  Can’t see how this will improve us that much but let’s see.
    We 100% need a Cullen type midfielder with an energy that drives the team. Really hoping that we get Randall and despite all that’s being said I think if we can juggle enough we may get a CB. I can see any of Bogle, Williams, Smyth, Maddison or Watson leaving if it helps getting the deal Bows wants done. 
    I think Bogle going is almost nailed on can’t see how Bowyer makes those comments about 4 strikers and keeps Bogle. Imagine he will be gone before the Franchise match on Tuesday.

If we want another two I imagine we will probably see the same amount leave. Hardest part is going to convince other teams to take them on. If Purrington doesn’t start on Tuesday, then do we need a 3rd choice left back. Gilbey could do with a fresh start as opportunity look limited. Smyth is poor, but if we are playing 10% wage do we save anything by letting him go back. Wouldn’t want to see Williams go to a league 1 rival but beggars can’t be choosers.

Something is going to have to happen if we are going to two more in this window.
    I can't see how Purrington is our 3rd choice left back.....we only have 2 !

And ditching Gilbey after just 6 months is not going to happen either.
    Matthews played left back against Hull. Let’s see who plays left back on Tuesday. More likely to see Pearce back at CB and Matthews switch to LB.

No, no , no. He seems lost at right back if someone attacks him with the ball .

Matthews is usually an EXTREMELY reliable one-on-one defender. He had a blip yesterday and Amos threw it in his own net. Amos owes Matthews several beers imo
  • I wouldnt lose any sleep if JW moved on this window with Maddison coming back I just dont see what he offers that is better than we have
  • I've got no doubt Chucks will get a better offer and move on 
    not if we go up 
  • The other CAFC signed that Anthony Evans 
  • I've got no doubt Chucks will get a better offer and move on 
    If we are not promoted definitely 
  • Moo said:
    I've got no doubt Chucks will get a better offer and move on 
    I'm not so sure there will be many clubs that want to sign a guy that can't play 90 minutes
  • Moo said:
    I'm not so sure there will be many clubs that want to sign a guy that can't play 90 minutes
    He is getting better last season he could barely manage 20 minutes once a month. 
  • Moo said:
    ...and he will only play 70 minutes until he signs 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    What about Ben Tozer? He was excellent last night, that long throw would cause so many problems and he looks solid at Centre Half as well
    Who is Ben Tozer and who does he play for ? 
    Google is your friend.

So I looked him up ...... Cheltenham Town, League 2.  :smile:

Thank you for the info...I realised that as soon as I typed it and pressed post.

Regarding others who remarked that you cannot go up a division  or two I quote two players. 

Tony Book who Malcolm  Allison took him from Bath to Plymouth to Manchester City. He debut in Div 1 at 31ish.

The other was a player Jimmy Seed brought  back from a loan in Burton when Jimmy joined ed Charlton, George Robinson.  That player was one of the backbone for Charlton from League Division 3 South into the First Division where he also played.

Also Jimmy Oakes from Port Vale in Jan 1933. He was getting on too but went in to play in Div 1
    Dare I say though, @addick1956 ...... it was a different world back then!

I'm old enough to remember Tony Book playing for Manchester City in the late 60s/early 70s but in all fairness, the game back then was nowhere near as athletic or physically demanding as it is today. The game has changed and many of those stars of yesterday would never had the longevity of career today that they had back then.

But for some older players, they are able to step up a division for a year or two ..... but it's not usually something they can sustain for longer than that.
    Always a few exceptions of course.

• RedRobin said:
    This cross boarder rule has to change, teams like Rangers are able to pick these players up for pittance. 
    Why though? Players can go abroad for free so why make it any different for Scotland?
  • Rangers mugging us off again.
  • RedRobin said:
     cafcfan1990 said:
    RedRobin said:
    This cross boarder rule has to change, teams like Rangers are able to pick these players up for pittance. 
    Why though? Players can go abroad for free so why make it any different for Scotland?
    The fact Scotland is part of the United Kingdom is why. I’m not getting into politics here but it’s a joke. Clubs like ourselves and Bournemouth develop these kids and get a quarter of the fee if they go to Scotland. If we tried the same thing we’d have to pay full, just frustrating.
    It is definitely frustrating, just not sure what you can do as it's a different football association. The problem would still be there when players were moving abroad, in fact I'm not sure you can get any compensation. Even if players move to other teams in England I am not sure the compensation is fair anyway. Especially now with the different categories, Cat 1 teams can just poach those from Cat 2 for pittance. 
  • edited January 2021

Defensive midfielder? Could this be us. Also represents wales...
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    That's a shame. Useful squad player. But I suppose if we're sticking with a 4-4-2 then a more natural RM might be a better shout. 
  • ButtleJR said:

On loan to Grimsby at the moment, unless they're planning on recalling him and loaning him to us. Does say on wiki that he's "fallen out of favour" there, which is slightly worrying if he's supposed to then step up to L1
  • edited January 2021
    The boy Taylor from Wolves  not 20 until June. Can’t make his mind up whether to be Scottish or Welsh hope he’s more decisive with a  ball at his feet 😉.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Taylor_(footballer)
  • The last alliterative midfielder we borrowed from a midlands club was David Davies (sp) and look how that worked out. 
  • ButtleJR said:

Another young player Wales have poached, in this case from Scotland!
  • edited January 2021
    iaitch said:
    The last alliterative midfielder we borrowed from a midlands club was David Davies (sp) and look how that worked out. 
    What about that Eggart Jonson fella from Wolves he weren’t that special either.
  • Really wouldn't lose too much sleep about Smyth being recalled