Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• How 'highly rated' can a player be if he fell out of favour at Grimsby?
  • iaitch said:
    The last alliterative midfielder we borrowed from a midlands club was David Davies (sp) and look how that worked out. 

I'd assume from the phrasing it would be a permanent,still.. hope it's not us! 
  • edited January 2021
    Doesn’t sound like he’s done well at Grimsby, here’s one quote from their forum, doesn’t sound like a Bowyer midfielder at all:

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1604589617/s-20/

Taylor not being allowed to play is a positive not a negative, he's been awful game after game, passing s terrible, shys out of tackles, can't mark and jogs behind the man he's supposed to be tracking.
  • ButtleJR said:

Defensive midfielder? Could this be us. Also represents wales...
    On loan to Grimsby at the moment, unless they're planning on recalling him and loaning him to us. Does say on wiki that he's "fallen out of favour" there, which is slightly worrying if he's supposed to then step up to L1
    Maybe this is one of LB's "projects"
  • ButtleJR said:

Another young player Wales have poached, in this case from Scotland!
    I thought  it was usually the other way round with Rangers the chief suspects. 
    I mean internationally
  • edited January 2021
    Scoham said:
    Doesn’t sound like he’s done well at Grimsby, here’s one quote from their forum, doesn’t sound like a Bowyer midfielder at all:

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1604589617/s-20/

Taylor not being allowed to play is a positive not a negative, he's been awful game after game, passing s terrible, shys out of tackles, can't mark and jogs behind the man he's supposed to be tracking.
    It’s ok Albie would be told to buddy him 😉.
  •  cafcfan1990 said:
    RedRobin said:
     cafcfan1990 said:
    RedRobin said:
    This cross boarder rule has to change, teams like Rangers are able to pick these players up for pittance. 
    Why though? Players can go abroad for free so why make it any different for Scotland?
    The fact Scotland is part of the United Kingdom is why. I’m not getting into politics here but it’s a joke. Clubs like ourselves and Bournemouth develop these kids and get a quarter of the fee if they go to Scotland. If we tried the same thing we’d have to pay full, just frustrating.
    It is definitely frustrating, just not sure what you can do as it's a different football association. The problem would still be there when players were moving abroad, in fact I'm not sure you can get any compensation. Even if players move to other teams in England I am not sure the compensation is fair anyway. Especially now with the different categories, Cat 1 teams can just poach those from Cat 2 for pittance. 
    Yeah agreed, that’s the issue we’ve got and I suppose we have to get on with it, however annoying it is. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:

On loan to Grimsby at the moment, unless they're planning on recalling him and loaning him to us. Does say on wiki that he's "fallen out of favour" there, which is slightly worrying if he's supposed to then step up to L1
    Bowyer hasn't got the time to work on a project as things stand. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:

Probably not, but if he had signed or lined up some "projects" instead of, or as well as, the players he did sign it could/would/should be viewed differently. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:

Agreed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Do we even know it's us in for him?

Or have we just taken a journo's message and assumed we're the only club in league one after a midfielder?
  • Do we even know it's us in for him?

Or have we just taken a journo's message and assumed we're the only club in league one after a midfielder?
    Of course we don’t, what’s that got to do with the price of eggs 😏.

• Looks like signing that 6th striker was much more important than proper defensive cover. 

Season is over. 
    Essentially he is saying Pearce and Oshilaja are good enough quality backup players.

I disagree, we might have numbers at CB but they're not good enough to get us promoted. We need to be able to replace Innis and Famewo with similar quality and we can't.
    When Inniss and Famewo are fit, we could well have sufficient cover - if they stay fit. But the games we play before they get fit, given where we are now are key to the season. Even if it is a loan, we need to address this issue urgently. Even if it is only needed for a month.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    What type of parents call their kids Terry in this millennium 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Big fans of our former player Terry Naylor  :)
  • Into the palm of the Anagram Soothsayer i dropped a one game subscription to Valley Pass, and she said: 

"Terry Taylor ... Rarely To Try"

She then spat on the head of a  passing rat and cackled while scratching her groin.

• Looks like signing that 6th striker was much more important than proper defensive cover. 

Season is over. 
    Essentially he is saying Pearce and Oshilaja are good enough quality backup players.

I disagree, we might have numbers at CB but they're not good enough to get us promoted. We need to be able to replace Innis and Famewo with similar quality and we can't.
    When Inniss and Famewo are fit, we could well have sufficient cover - if they stay fit. But the games we play before they get fit, given where we are now are key to the season. Even if it is a loan, we need to address this issue urgently. Even if it is only needed for a month.
    Loans are now full season or half season (aren't they?)
    How many good centre halves are going to want to join Charlton with the notion that they may only play half a dozen games and then sit on our bench for a couple of months?

Season is over. 

How many good centre halves are going to want to join Charlton with the notion that they may only play half a dozen games and then sit on our bench for a couple of months?
    The most games Innis has ever played in a season is 22 and Famewo 10.  It's highly unlikely, even if they were back tomorrow, that they would both play the 22 odd games we have left.  It would be prudent to assume at least of them won't be available most of most of the rest of the season.

Plus the competition for places, if Bowyer ever selected Pearce ahead of either of them......... 

Season is over. 

Not sure it's as straightforward as that though. You'll always get injuries (Inniss' record isn't great) plus a lot of fixtures. Lots of football to be played, I don't think it would be particularly difficult to persuade someone to join. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    Why not sign a young U21 CB as a project?

Is exactly what we should have done in September.  Almost zero chance Pearce or Oshilaja will be here next season. 
  • Chunes said:
    MattF said:
    That's a shame. Useful squad player. But I suppose if we're sticking with a 4-4-2 then a more natural RM might be a better shout. 
    This.

He has pace and skill and worked well up top for a while, but not in either of our 442 variants as a winger or as a wing back in a 3-5-2
  • Bostock signed for Doncaster 
  • dmjn said:
    Bostock signed for Doncaster 
    Weren't we after him last year ?
    He's been one of those names floating about for the past 12/18 months 
  • edited January 2021
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Is exactly what we should have done in September.  Almost zero chance Pearce or Oshilaja will be here next season. 
    You mean in those 10 days we had to sign an entire team? 

No one was really concerned at the start of the season that Deji and Pearce weren’t good enough to be league 1 back ups for a season in league 1 and in those 10 days they did outstandingly to bring in 2 quality centre backs.

Oh I said it and a few agreed but you are right that the majority didn't. I don't know how anyone watched Pearce last season and thought he could do a job above league two. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

But its not just hindsight it is/was obvious.

Since the takeover we had 10 days etc etc fine but since then we have signed 7 players, 6 of them have multiple year, or options to extend, contracts.  We are up to the salary cap. 

Unless something drastic happens, either we get promoted or the salary cap gets abolished our squad for next season is

Gunter
    Innis
    Purrington
    Morgan
    Watson
    Maddison
    Gilbey 
    Schwartz 
    Bogle
    Davison
    Washington

Plus the league 1 average that would be freed up by Aneke, Williams, Amos, JFC, Pearce, Oshilaja and Pratley to spend.  Add in what ever Matthews is on and it still doesn't give you much to work with. 

I don't see how you have a massive rebuild next season, as things currently stand?

But as it's so obvious can someone explain it to me?