Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Interesting comments from Paul Warne @ Rotherham

Talks about how the Salary Cap is just as difficult for them as they cant move players on

From the comment about the owner it sounds a lot like we're the club he's talking about
    Yeah that definitely sounds like either us or Sunderland given the two recent takeovers
  • edited January 2021
    Can someone explain why a club would pay a fee for Doughty now rather than get him for free in the summer?
    As he’s injured until at least March, he probably won’t be up to speed until he’s had a preseason surely, so does he really have value this season? Also, wouldn’t Alfie himself prefer to move in the summer when he can get higher wages due to the lack of fee?
    I suspect to be a step ahead of other clubs who may also wish to sign him but on a free. Clubs they might fear would be more attractive to the player, like Celtic. But a club more interested than stealing the player.
  • edited January 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    Redhenry said:
    What is it with Barker, I've heard from people at the club say he's miles off first team. He's not the answer. We need a free loan
    What is the point  of a youth system if they struggle no good. He seemed fine in the games he played in .
    Harry Beadle is the next off the conveyor belt - trust me, he's taken a while to come to the boil but he is gonna be the next one into the first team and he will be a fans favourite - the boy is a 100%er and along with his brother James in goal, will be the backbone of our team for years to come - COYR!!!!!
    What position does Harry play? 
    centre half 
  • edited January 2021
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Redhenry said:
    What is it with Barker, I've heard from people at the club say he's miles off first team. He's not the answer. We need a free loan
    What is the point  of a youth system if they struggle no good. He seemed fine in the games he played in .
    Harry Beadle is the next off the conveyor belt - trust me, he's taken a while to come to the boil but he is gonna be the next one into the first team and he will be a fans favourite - the boy is a 100%er and along with his brother James in goal, will be the backbone of our team for years to come - COYR!!!!!
    He only made his debut for the U23s in November so it seems unlikely he's the next one in the first team. 
    see my note about the growth spurt - he'll start going through the gears now 
  • sammy391 said:
    Don’t get the anti-Washington vibe

hes a great team player, and has been our only consistent goal threat this season!
    It’s actually only a couple of people, but they repeat themselves so many times it looks like a lot of people being anti-Washington.
    i'm not anti washington but he isn't at the level to get us promoted 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Redhenry said:
    What position does Harry play? 
    centre half 
    Cheers Doucher, leftie or right footed?
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    sammy391 said:
    Bowyer said last night that Sandgaard wants to sign more players , but the cap is limiting us! 

I’d imagine we have a few lined up, just needing to offload forst
    smyth has to be first out of the door if poss, followed by bogle and washington?
    Smyth is a loan so sending him back wont really free up any money. The other 2 were only recruited 6 months ago & on 2 year contracts at least. Hard to move them on and to add into the mix I'm pretty sure Washington was signed before the cap was introduced. 

Sad to say I don't think we'll be signing anyone this month - only a loan if the loanee club will pay virtually all the wages. Or if we get rid of Oztumer & use his wages - but I doubt he's on much in any case. 
    It will free his wages though, as Smyth is 23
  • DOUCHER said:
    sammy391 said:
    Bowyer said last night that Sandgaard wants to sign more players , but the cap is limiting us! 

smyth has to be first out of the door if poss, followed by bogle and washington?
    Smyth is a loan so sending him back wont really free up any money. The other 2 were only recruited 6 months ago & on 2 year contracts at least. Hard to move them on and to add into the mix I'm pretty sure Washington was signed before the cap was introduced. 

Sad to say I don't think we'll be signing anyone this month - only a loan if the loanee club will pay virtually all the wages. Or if we get rid of Oztumer & use his wages - but I doubt he's on much in any case. 
    I think Bowyer has said that QPR are doing us quite a bit of a favour with Smyth's wages

Talks about how the Salary Cap is just as difficult for them as they cant move players on

Blimey, couldn't have got Terry Naylor either!

Gotta believe his talking about us. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    sammy391 said:

I think Bowyer has said that QPR are doing us quite a bit of a favour with Smyth's wages
    I'm sure we're still contributing something, and if we're down to our last £500 a week...
  • Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    sammy391 said:

hes a great team player, and has been our only consistent goal threat this season!
    Really? He has scored 1 in 10. Aneke scores every 88 mins, I know which one I would describe as a goal threat

im not knocking Washington but I wouldn’t call him a goal threat
    By minutes 1 in every 239 to Chuks 1 in every 92

In addition to this he's only got away 19 shots to Aneke's 35. Making his goal conversion 32% to Chuks 26%. 

If he gets away more shots, he either becomes 

A- More of a goal threat
    or 
    B - Equally/More wasteful than Chuks
    What is it with all these stats? 

At best they can only be a rough guide - and don't really measure a players all round performance or the interaction of his team players, that he relies on.
    And then trying to compare one player with another who doesn't even play the same role ...... (!)

We'd never heard of this glorified navel gazing or dissection to the nth degree until Sky bought out football and reduced it to the level of some dumb arsed American TV game show.

Oh, well ..... each to their own, I suppose.
    If someone makes an argument using stats, it is fair to counter with stats is it not? 

Stats are interesting they don't give a full picture but they can actually prove/disprove assumptions and bias.
  • sammy391 said:

Really? He has scored 1 in 10. Aneke scores every 88 mins, I know which one I would describe as a goal threat

He was top scorer before Shinnie got injured.
    And grant was top scorer before he left!

Your comment doesn’t really add a lot to the Washington conversation. It suggests we miss shinnie, who will create chances for Schwartz and Aneke. 

• Ex Charlton winger / forward Andre Green has signed for Wednesday. 

• Sponsored links:

• According to transfer market Rotherham have 9 nine! Centre backs!
  • DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    sammy391 said:

In addition to this he's only got away 19 shots to Aneke's 35. Making his goal conversion 32% to Chuks 26%. 

A- More of a goal threat
    or 
    there is no comparison - chucks is probably the most dangerous striker in league 1 and possibly the championship - his issues are about his body / ability to stay fit - if he does he is in a completely different league to washington  
    You'll get no disagreement from me. We know Chuks is dangerous. The argument was that TRH felt Washington wasn't a goal threat... Not even arguing the constant bit, but converting 1 in 3 shots from Washington is a threat. I was using the stats to show our most dangerous player is actually only a bit more dangerous than our second top scorer. 
  • I wonder if with loans we'd be able to pay a large loan fee, but then not pay any wages during the loan...

Might be a way of getting around the cap. 
  • Probably a stupid question but how visible is each clubs wage cap situation? Do other clubs have access to that information or is it just the EFL that knows how much leeway everyone's got?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    sammy391 said:

A- More of a goal threat
    or 
    there is no comparison - chucks is probably the most dangerous striker in league 1 and possibly the championship - his issues are about his body / ability to stay fit - if he does he is in a completely different league to washington  
    You'll get no disagreement from me. We know Chuks is dangerous. The argument was that TRH felt Washington wasn't a goal threat... Not even arguing the constant bit, but converting 1 in 3 shots from Washington is a threat. I was using the stats to show our most dangerous player is actually only a bit more dangerous than our second top scorer. 
    Please read my post. It’s not what I said. I said that Washington has scored 1 in his last 10 and Aneke scores every 90 minutes. My post was in reply to a post saying Washington is our main goal threat, where i pointed out that Aneke is our main threat. Completely different to saying Washington isn’t a threat.

I also said I’m not knocking Washington as a player. 
  • edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    sammy391 said:

A- More of a goal threat
    or 
    Please read my post. It’s not what I said. I said that Washington has scored 1 in his last 10 and Aneke scores every 90 minutes. My post was in reply to a post saying Washington is our main goal threat, where i pointed out that Aneke is our main threat. Completely different to saying Washington isn’t a threat.

I also said I’m not knocking Washington as a player. 
    We'll leave it here then... I agree Chuks is our main goal threat and Washington is definitely a goal threat, even if it is less so than Chuks. 

• I wonder if with loans we'd be able to pay a large loan fee, but then not pay any wages during the loan...

Might be a way of getting around the cap

Nope. It's all counted within the salary cap. 
  • Probably a stupid question but how visible is each clubs wage cap situation? Do other clubs have access to that information or is it just the EFL that knows how much leeway everyone's got?

Would doubt the internal financial workings of a club is common knowledge, think its rather a case of "Sorry, we can't afford to pay his £15k per week. We've only got enough left for £25 a week and a Happy Meal, can you help us please?"